Sign in to follow this  
valon

lego castle theory

hi, i have noticeed a pattern in recent castle themes. After knigthts kingdom, we got the fantasy era theme, wich used the crown knight sheild BrickLink - Part 2586px14 : Lego Minifigure, Shield Ovoid with Gold Crown  on Dark Blue, Medium Blue Quarters Background Pattern [Minifigure, Shield]  - BrickLink Reference Catalog

this design is the same with diffrent color as the yellow castle sheild Steve's LEGO Blog: The Classic Lego Castle Sets 1978-1983

then with kingdoms we had the red lion sheild wich looked like the crusader sheild Knight Shield Lion - Lego Kingdoms Prison Carriage 50-pieces Rescue Set -  Free Transparent PNG Download - PNGkey

LEGO Crusaders Shield by JAMESNG8 on DeviantArt

and then we had the 2013 castle sheild wich was like the royal knights sheild but with colors like knight kingdom BrickLink - Part 2586pb006 : Lego Minifigure, Shield Ovoid with Lion Head  on White and Blue Pattern [Minifigure, Shield] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

The Classic Castle dot Com How-To's

what i think is that lego since knight kingdom has been trying to use sheilds simlair to a older theme. Then nexo knights wich was a story based theme with colored named knights simlair to knights kingdom 2 ( but with modern technology and not medieval looking and worse ) after that lego has not made a castle theme. wether or not you agree nexo knight was a castle theme, it was inspired partially by knight kingdom 2 and after knight kingdom, lego started copy old themes wich i think is part of the reason that lego has not made a new castle theme. Lego has been copying old sheild desgins. ALso, i think lego, who appear to be trying to be less violent have not made castle or pirate themes, because unlike ninjago, were you see the enemy get chased away and not killed, in castle and pirate wich are not story based it implies people being killed. Those ore to things that i have noticed in lego castle and though it would be interetsing to tell people

2 hours ago, valon said:

hi, i have noticeed a pattern in recent castle themes. After knigthts kingdom, we got the fantasy era theme, wich used the crown knight sheild BrickLink - Part 2586px14 : Lego Minifigure, Shield Ovoid with Gold Crown  on Dark Blue, Medium Blue Quarters Background Pattern [Minifigure, Shield]  - BrickLink Reference Catalog

this design is the same with diffrent color as the yellow castle sheild Steve's LEGO Blog: The Classic Lego Castle Sets 1978-1983

then with kingdoms we had the red lion sheild wich looked like the crusader sheild Knight Shield Lion - Lego Kingdoms Prison Carriage 50-pieces Rescue Set -  Free Transparent PNG Download - PNGkey

LEGO Crusaders Shield by JAMESNG8 on DeviantArt

and then we had the 2013 castle sheild wich was like the royal knights sheild but with colors like knight kingdom BrickLink - Part 2586pb006 : Lego Minifigure, Shield Ovoid with Lion Head  on White and Blue Pattern [Minifigure, Shield] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

The Classic Castle dot Com How-To's

what i think is that lego since knight kingdom has been trying to use sheilds simlair to a older theme. Then nexo knights wich was a story based theme with colored named knights simlair to knights kingdom 2 ( but with modern technology and not medieval looking and worse ) after that lego has not made a castle theme. wether or not you agree nexo knight was a castle theme, it was inspired partially by knight kingdom 2 and after knight kingdom, lego started copy old themes wich i think is part of the reason that lego has not made a new castle theme. Lego has been copying old sheild desgins. ALso, i think lego, who appear to be trying to be less violent have not made castle or pirate themes, because unlike ninjago, were you see the enemy get chased away and not killed, in castle and pirate wich are not story based it implies people being killed. Those ore to things that i have noticed in lego castle and though it would be interetsing to tell people

I don't agree with the less violence.   Especially with the resurgence of Harry Potter which is very dark and violent, especially in the The deathly hallows.  Lego also makes Marvel and DC sets and the recent marvel movies have been violent with death of popular characters and blood, etc.  Stranger Things they just did also.  So them going less violent I don't see it right now as an excuse to not make castle or pirates.  The shields just seem to get more updated over time and they seem to get a more modernized design.  But I do see your point about the shields and color choices.  Even the kingdoms dragon logo was just a more modern design of a dragon where as the dragon knights design was more generic.   

I don't think they are copying the past as such, just using traditional heraldic colours and insignia. Same as above with the violence, they still release minifigures with swords and so on. It is possible to have sword fights without death. None of the figures have serious injuries printed on them. The odd scar, but no gory injuries or blood.

Great comparison of similar symbols throughout the castle line!

I agree with @MAB, these are fairly traditional herald symbols - and you've certainly got many others (dragon masters, black falcons, forestmen, fright knights) - the ones you see 'reappear' tend to be more traditional.

I also disagree a bit about violence.  I personally think making pirates fun for children is ridiculous given how most raped, pillaged and murdered.  Having said that, there is a plethora of 'kid-focused pirate' material out there where no one gets killed - LEGO is just one of many.