Samolot

[MOC] URAL 5920 Soviet tracked vehicle

640x360.jpg

In the 1960s, Russians intensively searched for oil in large areas of northern Siberia. They begin to see the urgent need to have a vehicle capable of running through snow and mud. That can transport equipment and materials needed to extract and transmit oil. To accelerate the implementation of the vehicle, they decide to use the experience of foreign constructors. To this end, they send a special delegation to Canada which buys a batch of Bruce Nodwell machines. On their basis, in 1972, the NOMI 0157 vehicle with the Urala 375 cabin is created. Research and launching the production, however, takes years. It was only in 1984 that the small-series production of the first 150 machines was started. Production takes only 5 years, but the original plans for 8,000 units are not met. Several hundred copies are made and with the collapse of the USSR, production stops. Only in 2003, production of the modernized version marked ST-1 was resumed.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

I built the model relatively quickly, in about two weeks. Then, of course, it took a couple of weeks to collect a few missing bricks and footage, but finally, it is. I had been dreaming about it for several years, but I had no idea for wide tracks until finally, the day came when I had the idea to connect them with this funny 4x1 plate with two studs. Of course, I was almost sure that they would fall apart and nothing will come of it, but the patent works surprisingly and it's pretty good. The track carriages went quite fast, the torsion bar suspension, the new differentials, nothing too complicated.

I knew that I had to put the motors within the tracks because the LEGO cardans would not manage to transfer the drive from the frame as it is in the original. But I wanted to reproduce the original drive system, so it happened that it works in a way the other way around. Two PF XLs drive the tracks and from the diffs, the drive goes to the shafts leading to the central differential and then to the fake V8 engine under the hood.

The most difficult part in the construction was achieving a sufficiently stiff frame. The model is 80 cm long and almost 4 kg weight, most of the weight falls on the track carriages. The Pf XL wheels and the mass of the links did their job.

I have already built rigid frames on 3 x11 panels, but recently new 7x11 frames are available that fit perfectly with them. This structure can also be very easily stiffened depending on the needs by adding eleven liftarms.

640x360.jpg[/URL] 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

The vehicle's functions are therefore limited to a spinning steering wheel and winch.
Two buwizzas are used for power supply, but they are built in the cab under the seats so they can be replaced with two PF batteries and the vehicle also runs a little slower.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Interesting movie about URAL 5920 
tutaj [/youtube]

Gallery
https://bricksafe.com/pages/samolot/ural-5920

Spot on. Great Color scheme. I really like the frame concept.

It is missing some cargo though, like some pipes or engine blocks. :wink:

This is genuinely great. And thanks for the detailed write up. So many great solutions! Very clever idea of running driveshafts from the tracks back to the fake engine. The picture with the whole thing hanging in the air on a 3frame which is 3M high is impressive! And then there is the steering, working steering wheel, suspension. And all of that in two weeks??! It takes me that long to mount a door on my creations...

P.S. The video and photos are absolutely beautiful!

Incredible build, the technique used to join parallel tracks is genius. It is even more impressive considering it handles so well in actual terrain. Great video too. How fast can it go on a smooth surface?

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

Incredible build, the technique used to join parallel tracks is genius. It is even more impressive considering it handles so well in actual terrain. Great video too. How fast can it go on a smooth surface?

Thanks. video is mostly done in speed x1 so it goes that fast. Original Ural 5920 max speed is less then 30 kmph

On 1/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, Milan said:

Now you need to do Tug of War between Ural and Zil :)

I'm afraid I know the result of this match. The Zi 4906 doesn't stand a chance. For a simple reason. It uses 2x Control + XL and the Ural 5920 uses the good old PF XL x2 and is powered by 2x Buwizz. But I'm working on another 6x6 Zil on the PF XL and this one will be able to beat URAL.