somebricks

Getting started after long abstinence

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question:
I want to get back into Lego technic, more than a decade ago, I was an avid builder and enthusiast, but I no longer own any Lego, and haven't had any chance to get back into it, due to work-life-balance-issues. 
However, I am now presented with the opportunity to get back into it, and I am quite floored by all the available models, MOCS and whatnot, so I'd like to ask, which model would be a good starting point for someone who enjoys the build most of all. Preferably, I'd love to buy one set with a few quality B- and C- and D- models, which I can build, re-build and thus get my Lego groove on again.

Budget isn't too much of a concern, though if possible I'd like to stick to below 250€, and I'd very much enjoy something with a few functions, gears and intricacies.

So far, I looked at:
42043 - seems it increased in price but is still held in high regard, but is it worth the asking price of 250€?
42100 - apparently enormous, but I read quite a few mixed reviews when it comes to functionality. Can be had used for 250+-
42082 can be had for 150ish used, seems to provide a few fun functions and a good few b and c models
42055 seems like a behemoth with a lot of functions, can be had for 200€ used.

so, any recommendations on where to get started again, with only one set?

5 minutes ago, somebricks said:

but is it worth the asking price of 250€?

Yes, it is.

Why not some two sets, f.i. with some discount available I would then buy 42108 and 42096 or 42125. They could fit in some 250.

2 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Yes, it is.

Why not some two sets, f.i. with some discount available I would then buy 42108 and 42096 or 42125. They could fit in some 250.

Mostly because it will be much easier to get one set past the government, if you catch my drift

Sometimes I have difficult responding to such posts.  I mean, there are about a billion videos, reviews,  etc. out there....surely the information is out there to make decisions on.  We get a lot of questions such as these.  

I don't mean to be flippant, I really don't.  I would like to help out.... but the "which set should I buy" seems so subjective, it really depends on your goals and desires as a builder.  

Do you like electronics?  Pneumatics? Manual functions only?  Don't know?  All these are probably more important than your questions above.  If don't like motorized functions, 42100 is out, etc....

If you are a beginner and into manual functions only, learning mechanisms, etc. I might recommend going a different route.  Buying two, cheaper and smaller sets but with a better variety of pieces might be helpful.  I loved 42108..... and it has tons and tons of b and c models.... 

42043 is probably the best of what you listed, and overall excellent. I'd look at 42107, 42111, 42078. Those sets were fun to build, look cool (to me), and what features they do have have work in a very satisfying way.

1 hour ago, somebricks said:

if you catch my drift 

OK, clear - WAF.

Then just get 42043, there won't be regrets in any case.

I don't know what you're aiming for but I also like the 42110, you can get this for 160€ new.

The 42055 is a very enjoyable set, I like it so much. Got it for 160 (new), I know it's cheap, and you won't get it anymore for that price.

I guess the 42043 is a very nice set, I don't own it tho. Not sure if it is worth 250 used.

Maybe the 42100 is a good starting set for you, but you need some experience to build it, and if you didn't build for 10+ years, not sure about that.

If you like cars, get either the 42110 or 42111.

4 hours ago, somebricks said:

May I suggest something else? I consider 42042 Crawler Crane a nice building and play experience. I think it's also a good parts pack.

Otherwise, 42082 has some nice C-, D-, and E-models. (I haven't build any of them but it indicates that the set is a good parts pack.)
I personally am very disappointed by the penumatic arm of the Arocs 42043: there is little play fun in it.

Just buy any set you think looks cool and get used to studless building. You’ll also get a feel for what you like to make while you do that, then just start building stuff. It will snowball from there.

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Sometimes I have difficult responding to such posts.  I mean, there are about a billion videos, reviews,  etc. out there....surely the information is out there to make decisions on.  We get a lot of questions such as these.  

I don't mean to be flippant, I really don't.  I would like to help out.... but the "which set should I buy" seems so subjective, it really depends on your goals and desires as a builder.  

Do you like electronics?  Pneumatics? Manual functions only?  Don't know?  All these are probably more important than your questions above.  If don't like motorized functions, 42100 is out, etc....

If you are a beginner and into manual functions only, learning mechanisms, etc. I might recommend going a different route.  Buying two, cheaper and smaller sets but with a better variety of pieces might be helpful.  I loved 42108..... and it has tons and tons of b and c models.... 

Hi, I get where you are coming from.

I like to build interesting and intricate systems and functions.

I used to build Mindstorms in small competitions, designing and building y own robots from scratch and I built lots of weird technic stuff, but for now I would like one set with a good building experience and interesting functions to get back into it.

I'd prefer one large set due to the waf and I would prefer Lego due to the resale value, should I discover that I am not that into it after all

5 hours ago, somebricks said:

Other than the ones you have mentioned, I think you could start with 42107. It's an affordable set and offers a great building experience.

If you liked building and programming functions with Mindstorm, something newer with Powered UP like 42100 might be the way to go.

8 hours ago, somebricks said:

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question:
I want to get back into Lego technic, more than a decade ago, I was an avid builder and enthusiast, but I no longer own any Lego, and haven't had any chance to get back into it, due to work-life-balance-issues. 
However, I am now presented with the opportunity to get back into it, and I am quite floored by all the available models, MOCS and whatnot, so I'd like to ask, which model would be a good starting point for someone who enjoys the build most of all. Preferably, I'd love to buy one set with a few quality B- and C- and D- models, which I can build, re-build and thus get my Lego groove on again.

Budget isn't too much of a concern, though if possible I'd like to stick to below 250€, and I'd very much enjoy something with a few functions, gears and intricacies.

So far, I looked at:
42043 - seems it increased in price but is still held in high regard, but is it worth the asking price of 250€?
42100 - apparently enormous, but I read quite a few mixed reviews when it comes to functionality. Can be had used for 250+-
42082 can be had for 150ish used, seems to provide a few fun functions and a good few b and c models
42055 seems like a behemoth with a lot of functions, can be had for 200€ used.

I can't say much of the alternative builds (especially the unofficial ones) but for the main model all of these are great in their own way.

42043: expensive, but it a lot of different kinds of parts (some of which are quite pricey), in itself a great model packed with functions

42100: if you want to get into PU, this set is the way to go with it's two hubs and seven motors which will keep you busy for a good while

42082: great parts pack for its price, fun to play with as the functions work great and are nice to use

42055: even greater parts pack for its price and one of the more complex and unique models out there, with lots of interesting functionality

Oh, and regarding your old interest in Mindstorms: the new iteration (51515) was released just recently and the hub is fully compatible with PU motors, but better in almost every way than the C+ hub so I might recommend that also, if you want to do more programming stuff.

42043 most definitely.

I’d recommend to look for a used set in good condition. Just recently I was able to get a good copy for 140€ incl. shipping. It was complete with instructions. No box and only a bit a dust. Wiped it off, disassembled it and built a C model.

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

If you liked building and programming functions with Mindstorm, something newer with Powered UP like 42100 might be the way to go.

Is the set generally viewed favourably?

I read a lot about there being lots of fluff to up the parts count...

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I can't say much of the alternative builds (especially the unofficial ones) but for the main model all of these are great in their own way.

42043: expensive, but it a lot of different kinds of parts (some of which are quite pricey), in itself a great model packed with functions

42100: if you want to get into PU, this set is the way to go with it's two hubs and seven motors which will keep you busy for a good while

42082: great parts pack for its price, fun to play with as the functions work great and are nice to use

42055: even greater parts pack for its price and one of the more complex and unique models out there, with lots of interesting functionality

Oh, and regarding your old interest in Mindstorms: the new iteration (51515) was released just recently and the hub is fully compatible with PU motors, but better in almost every way than the C+ hub so I might recommend that also, if you want to do more programming stuff.

Reads as if I should look for a 42055 or 42043.

Though it seems weird that the 42043 is about as much as a 42100, both used.

Is that due to availability issues?

Edited by somebricks

6 hours ago, somebricks said:

Is that due to availability issues?

Yes, partially. 42043 also contains the long thin pneumatic cylinder (the only set so far where it appears) which is tens of euros by itself. It's also very highly regarded set and released in 2015 (while 42100 is 2018 set) so it's both sought after and generally less available than 42100. You could also go for an used one, they should be less expensive.

9 hours ago, somebricks said:

Imho the price  indicates the conceptual quality of the set. The 42043 is a true Technic set that is about mechanics. The 42100 is more like a video game/remote controlled robot.

2 hours ago, TinkerBrick said:

Imho the price  indicates the conceptual quality of the set. The 42043 is a true Technic set that is about mechanics. The 42100 is more like a video game/remote controlled robot.

That's a take I read quite a few times, so maybe I'll have to look gor a 42043/42055 then, which seem like "real" technic sets