Murdoch17

[MOC] The Yago (green and white pirate ship) - 21332 MOD with brick-built sails from 31109

Captained by a Welsh fellow named Henry Smithfield, this ship, the "Yago", originally operated out of what became one of the Southern-most English Colonies. The mission was as a privateer to harass any Spanish ships coming from the Caribbean to the old world with gold and silver, (plus harass and steal from the French), for around five years, starting in 1705. But eventually, Cpt. Henry grew tired of paying his due of treasure to the English crown, and set off to make his own way in the world "free" of any government. He moved his base of operations to a small abandoned island in the Caribbean with his crew, used by Islanders from years prior. He got his crew to complete a fort, and used it as his base of operations. He plundered many a French, Spanish, and other nations' ships, along with his former comrades in the English navy.

50878619568_7095d4f257_z.jpg

In early summer 1717 the Yago was last seen by some trappers on land (near what later became the port of Savannah, Georgia) sailing low in the water, going north, unknowingly into the path of a massive hurricane. The resulting wreck has never been found, and it was rumored to have been loaded to the gun-ports with gold and silver taken from a Spanish treasure ship by Florida's southern coast. (which had been found, incidentally, empty of most of it's treasure in the 1960's.) This could explain the heavily laden shape of the Yago that day in June 1717. As to what happened to the ship after it left the later-day Savannah area is anyone's guess, as it seems to have vanished without a trace off the face of the Earth.

50879325096_0e26608f47_z.jpg

In reality, this ship's shape is inspired by set 21332, (Ideas' "Pirates of Barracuda Bay") but with the brick-built sails of set 31109. (Creator "Pirate Ship") The ship features the Ninjago pirate's flag as I don't have a way to make my own. (I don't want to change it anyway, as it reminds me of being inspired to build my original pirate ship by the Skybound sub-theme of Ninjago.)

50879325066_ed67ee0f9b_z.jpg

The stern of the ship, features the ship's wheel and flagpole for the ship's flag along with the ship's name, "Yago". The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship  after him. I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing him justice.

50879426782_3ec808e926_z.jpg

The ship is devoid of any major below-deck features, except for the eight firing cannons. The only place there is any real furniture is the captain's cabin and that consists of a table and rotating chair. The table features a nautical chart, wine glass, and a set of scales for divvying out loot to the crew / ship's purse. (for repairs and "edibles" stocks)

50821551967_1ef8a18808_z.jpg

Captain Henry Smithfield (in green) and his crew. (he has his old sword here. Need to update this picture!)

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

Here is the Nanday conure my pirate ship is named after.

50845625061_2c9e2e0063_z.jpg
You guys can also build you're own version of "The Yago" and the dock now that the LDD file is available here at my Bricksafe page.

NOTE: six parts are missing from the file:

Two of this 1 x 2 rounded-edge plate in black, for the rudder.

Four of this black part 1x1 bracket, near the bow.

There are some pieces placed next to the ship, which are for the rudder, above the amidships ladder on the sides, and for the bowsprit area.

UPDATE: The ship is finished, with new pictures and text detailing the ship's history... what do you think of it? Any and all comments, questions, suggestions, and complaints are welcome! :pir-sweet:

Edited by Murdoch17

50829721171_c6777e0e16_z.jpg

The remaining parts needed to build this pirate ship model (seen above) are now ordered, as of 5PM today, the 12th of January 2021.

I'm so excited, I'll finally have the pirate ship of my dreams! :pir-love:

I've been thinking long and hard about my pirate ship, and realized I didn't like it's original name.

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

So, I looked around for inspiration. The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship "The Yago". I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing it.

What do you think of the new name?

I like the color scheme, but dislike the texture of the sails, which I think would look better without any tiles at the front. Also, I think the gaff sail is the wrong shape - looks like it was cut in half.

2 hours ago, Corydoras said:

I like the color scheme, but dislike the texture of the sails, which I think would look better without any tiles at the front. Also, I think the gaff sail is the wrong shape - looks like it was cut in half.

Thanks for commenting @Corydoras! I made the sails the way I did for strength... they would be way too weak without any frontal support. As for the sail, I couldn't think of a good shape, but then I remember a wooden ship model I had WAY back when I was 6. It had a sail similar to this... I think.

Also, I have news! I'm taking @Faladrin's lead with his similar model and one-upping it to include the entire skull rock, and a dock for my soon-to-be-built pirate ship! 

50832332682_a550d1c464_z.jpg

(I got this image from Brickset, which I then shrank way down to fit my needs.)

The front clips of sets 71722 (Skull Sorcerer's Dungeons) connect to a wooden dock model (seen below). The two Ninjago set's (the other is 71717, Journey to the Skull Dungeons) will be modified to have blue parts instead of orange and trans-orange for the bases and "lava drip" parts. I plan on using these sets, plus this dock, in conjunction with my green 21332 MOD (with brick-built sails from 31109) pirate ship.

50832249856_ec42a7cab2_z.jpg

This model comes apart into three modular sections:
- The working wooden crane (left side)
- The corner with flagpole (middle section)
- The dock extension (right side)

Thoughts, comments, or complaints?

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Also, I have news! I'm taking @Faladrin's lead with his similar model and one-upping it to include the entire skull rock, and a dock for my soon-to-be-built pirate ship!

Thank you !

I'm glad to see I inspired you.

Due to some lack of free time, I am still working on the skull sorcerer dragon to figure it as a sea serpent to keep a more piratey style. :pir-grin:

53 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Thank you !

I'm glad to see I inspired you.

Due to some lack of free time, I am still working on the skull sorcerer dragon to figure it as a sea serpent to keep a more piratey style. :pir-grin:

I'm personally eyeing the Ninjago's lavender-skinned Islanders from this year to become denizens of the island-next-door to the skull rock I'm building, @Faladrin. (The totem pole heads and catamaran are just what I need to spice it up, and the teal dragon might work too.) I can't wait to see this all fleshed out!

Edited by Murdoch17

12 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

50832249856_ec42a7cab2_z.jpg

This model comes apart into three modular sections:
- The working wooden crane (left side)
- The corner with flagpole (middle section)
- The dock extension (right side)

Thoughts, comments, or complaints?

I'd really like to see this evolving, for sure. Also, nice work on the ship!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:09 AM, Jack Sassy said:

I'd really like to see this evolving, for sure. Also, nice work on the ship!

Thanks, I'll be sure to tag you for future updates @Jack Sassy!

50845625061_2c9e2e0063_z.jpg
You guys can now build you're own version of "The Yago" and it's dock now that the LDD file is available here at my Bricksafe page.

NOTE: six parts are missing from the file:

Two of this 1 x 2 rounded-edge plate in black, for the rudder.

Four of this black part 1x1 bracket, near the bow.

There are some pieces placed next to the ship, which are for the rudder, above the amidships ladder on the sides, and for the bowsprit area.

Edited by Murdoch17

@Corydoras @Jack Sassy @Faladrin @Mister Phes

Ahoy everyone!

50878619568_7095d4f257_z.jpg

The Yago is is done, with updated pictures and text in the first post! I hope it looks as good as I think it does, but don't feel like I can't take the critics... I'm ready and waiting for any and all broadsides! :pir_tong2: 

Edited by Murdoch17

51 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Tis a splendid vessel! :pir-thumb:

But now you need some more photos... preferably with a more suitable background.

My white background seemed unsuitable with the white hull, so I went with my best-available dark blue background. Also, not sure what you mean by more photos, I uploaded every shot I could think off that would be interesting.

Thats an interesting colour scheme, which shade of green is used? I think the ship is well done but I would improve the sails somehow but I am not sure how. In my opinion, I would say the square sails are a bit slim and the spanker can be improverd, too. The captain fits the ship very well! Well done!

9 minutes ago, Stoertebricker said:

Thats an interesting colour scheme, which shade of green is used? I think the ship is well done but I would improve the sails somehow but I am not sure how. In my opinion, I would say the square sails are a bit slim and the spanker can be improverd, too. The captain fits the ship very well! Well done!

Thank you @Stoertebricker! The color of the ship is regular green. (the same as on the "Flying Dutchman" Spongebob set from 2012.)

Quite a vessel for such captain, I'm sure he's pleased that she's seaworthy. They'll be looking for a dock to stop by, without doubt.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:31 AM, Murdoch17 said:

Also, not sure what you mean by more photos, I uploaded every shot I could think off that would be interesting.

Well you don't have a photo of the ship in its entirety as depicted in this render...

image.png

On 1/27/2021 at 12:09 PM, Jack Sassy said:

Quite a vessel for such captain, I'm sure he's pleased that she's seaworthy. They'll be looking for a dock to stop by, without doubt.

Yep! He's quite content with this and has the newly-built harbor at Skull Rock to call home for when not at sea.

50888454752_861cef4425_z.jpg

On 1/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

Really nice Ship! I like the colourcombination very much! :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks, I like it too. It's coloration was inspired by the "Flying Dutchman" Spongebob set (number 3817) from 2012.

15 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Well you don't have a photo of the ship in its entirety as depicted in this render...

SNIP

That picture is for showing of what's in the included LDD file. It probably won't be replaced as I want people to know what's in the link! :pir-classic:

However, I eventually will get the two models (pirate ship Yago and Skull Rock) setup together when the lighthouse is finally done.

Hey, @Mister Phes, what kind of ship do you think the Yago is, technically? I couldn't think of how to classify it, and wanted to add it to the keywords.

Thanks in advance!

On 1/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Murdoch17 said:

Hey, @Mister Phes, what kind of ship do you think the Yago is, technically? I couldn't think of how to classify it, and wanted to add it to the keywords.

Maybe a brig or brigantine? I am not an expert on these matters, but here's a definition from this Aubrey and Maturin website.

brig

A two-masted vessel, square-rigged on both masts. The rear mast carries a fore-and-aft boom-sail as well.
In the 17th century the term Brig was also used as short for Brigantine, which then could be any variety of two-masted square-rigged vessels depending on nation and region.

Like most Lego ships, the Yago looks to me like a 17th century vessel, with its high aftcastle and forecastle. In any case, I think either definition of "brig" would apply to the Yago. A beautiful ship, to be sure! I'm enjoying the progress of your pirate harbor as well.

Edited by Man with beard

9 hours ago, Man with beard said:

Maybe a brig or brigantine? I am not an expert on these matters, but here's a definition from this Aubrey and Maturin website.

Like most Lego ships, the Yago looks to me like a 17th century vessel, with its high aftcastle and forecastle. In any case, I think either definition of "brig" would apply to the Yago. A beautiful ship, to be sure! I'm enjoying the progress of your pirate harbor as well.

Thank you for the answer, @Man with beard. The Yago will be classified as a brig from now on!