Murdoch17

[WIP] The Yago (green and white pirate ship) - 21332 MOD with brick-built sails from 31109 - WIP

I'm still slowly working on this custom pirate ship, which is now named The Yago, which is named after my parents pet Nanday Conure.

50821523412_678b161770_z.jpg

Parts-wise, about 911 parts have been found out of the 1,480 used in the model as shown.

50821523457_4430e4a3b4_z.jpg

The stern of the ship, features the ship's wheel and flagpole for the ship's flag.

50821426276_66b051b9d9_z.jpg

The ship is devoid of any major below-deck features, except for the eight firing cannons. The only place there is any real furniture is the captain's cabin and that consists of a simple table and chair to save costs.

50820698993_0ff3b1f962_z.jpg

The ship can still split into three large pieces, as originally designed by LEGO.

50821551967_1ef8a18808_z.jpg

Captain Henry Smithfield (in green) and his crew.

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

I've been thinking long and hard about my pirate ship, and realized I didn't like it's original name. So, I looked around for inspiration. The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship "The Yago". I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing it.

50820710228_ffc8407df6_o.jpg

The flag of the Captain Henry Smithfield, master of the pirate ship called "The Yago". (This picture was taken from Bricklink's catalog and is NOT mine.)

50845625061_2c9e2e0063_z.jpg
You guys can also build you're own version of "The Yago" and the dock now that the LDD file is available here at my Bricksafe page.

NOTE: six parts are missing from the file:

Two of this 1 x 2 rounded-edge plate in black, for the rudder.

Four of this black part 1x1 bracket, near the bow.

There are some pieces placed next to the ship, which are for the rudder, above the amidships ladder on the sides, and for the bowsprit area.

What do you think of it? Any and all comments, questions, suggestions, and complaints are welcome! :pir-grin:

Edited by Murdoch17

50829721171_c6777e0e16_z.jpg

The remaining parts needed to build this pirate ship model (seen above) are now ordered, as of 5PM today, the 12th of January 2021.

I'm so excited, I'll finally have the pirate ship of my dreams! :pir-love:

I've been thinking long and hard about my pirate ship, and realized I didn't like it's original name.

50831786067_71ab207ecd_z.jpg

So, I looked around for inspiration. The green feathers of my parent's talkative pet bird, Yago, (actually a Nanday Conure we rescued 11 years ago) inspired me to name the ship "The Yago". I also tried to think of a bird shaped figure-head for the bowsprit, but failed to think of a good way of doing it.

What do you think of the new name?

I like the color scheme, but dislike the texture of the sails, which I think would look better without any tiles at the front. Also, I think the gaff sail is the wrong shape - looks like it was cut in half.

2 hours ago, Corydoras said:

I like the color scheme, but dislike the texture of the sails, which I think would look better without any tiles at the front. Also, I think the gaff sail is the wrong shape - looks like it was cut in half.

Thanks for commenting @Corydoras! I made the sails the way I did for strength... they would be way too weak without any frontal support. As for the sail, I couldn't think of a good shape, but then I remember a wooden ship model I had WAY back when I was 6. It had a sail similar to this... I think.

Also, I have news! I'm taking @Faladrin's lead with his similar model and one-upping it to include the entire skull rock, and a dock for my soon-to-be-built pirate ship! 

50832332682_a550d1c464_z.jpg

(I got this image from Brickset, which I then shrank way down to fit my needs.)

The front clips of sets 71722 (Skull Sorcerer's Dungeons) connect to a wooden dock model (seen below). The two Ninjago set's (the other is 71717, Journey to the Skull Dungeons) will be modified to have blue parts instead of orange and trans-orange for the bases and "lava drip" parts. I plan on using these sets, plus this dock, in conjunction with my green 21332 MOD (with brick-built sails from 31109) pirate ship.

50832249856_ec42a7cab2_z.jpg

This model comes apart into three modular sections:
- The working wooden crane (left side)
- The corner with flagpole (middle section)
- The dock extension (right side)

Thoughts, comments, or complaints?

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Also, I have news! I'm taking @Faladrin's lead with his similar model and one-upping it to include the entire skull rock, and a dock for my soon-to-be-built pirate ship!

Thank you !

I'm glad to see I inspired you.

Due to some lack of free time, I am still working on the skull sorcerer dragon to figure it as a sea serpent to keep a more piratey style. :pir-grin:

53 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Thank you !

I'm glad to see I inspired you.

Due to some lack of free time, I am still working on the skull sorcerer dragon to figure it as a sea serpent to keep a more piratey style. :pir-grin:

I'm personally eyeing the Ninjago's lavender-skinned Islanders from this year to become denizens of the island-next-door to the skull rock I'm building, @Faladrin. (The totem pole heads and catamaran are just what I need to spice it up, and the teal dragon might work too.) I can't wait to see this all fleshed out!

Edited by Murdoch17

12 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

50832249856_ec42a7cab2_z.jpg

This model comes apart into three modular sections:
- The working wooden crane (left side)
- The corner with flagpole (middle section)
- The dock extension (right side)

Thoughts, comments, or complaints?

I'd really like to see this evolving, for sure. Also, nice work on the ship!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:09 AM, Jack Sassy said:

I'd really like to see this evolving, for sure. Also, nice work on the ship!

Thanks, I'll be sure to tag you for future updates @Jack Sassy!

50845625061_2c9e2e0063_z.jpg
You guys can now build you're own version of "The Yago" and it's dock now that the LDD file is available here at my Bricksafe page.

NOTE: six parts are missing from the file:

Two of this 1 x 2 rounded-edge plate in black, for the rudder.

Four of this black part 1x1 bracket, near the bow.

There are some pieces placed next to the ship, which are for the rudder, above the amidships ladder on the sides, and for the bowsprit area.

Edited by Murdoch17