Love the RIS 51515 set and working my way through the robots.

Very disappointed in TLG for the lack of programming documentation and their weird concept of what constitutes Help and Support!

For the Word Block Help, the window takes over the screen (your program disappears briefly) and a few clicks later you get to the top of the extensive text-only page.  Meaning you have to scroll down from the top each time you want to consult it.  Scrolling many, many pages if what you want is near the bottom.  Admittedly, the novice programmer will get to learn how to use Word Blocks in a structured way as they plough through the Robot builds.  But there's no option to print it or download it from support.  The Spike support is way better.

The situation for Python is much better as you can have your program and the Help on screen together.  And you can easily paste examples from the help.  But it's poorly organised if one is looking for an overview of the class model and available functionality.

I couldn't take it any more :hmpf_bad: so documented both in my own format.  Note that the text is lifted from the originals (hope TLG doesn't mind) but organised, edited  and formatted for PDF browsing (or printing if you must!).  Both have fully working Contents, Bookmarks and Indexes:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agv70JYmtXzNg4xmlnfk08-SQ3RZ_A?e=iIKusR

The above link is shared from my One Drive account, which I haven't done before.  So will some kind person let me know if it works okay.  And if I've exposed too much of my folders!

Now back to my own challenge - a working hexapod from just the RIS components...

44 minutes ago, Laid Back Koala said:

The above link is shared from my One Drive account, which I haven't done before.  So will some kind person let me know if it works okay.  And if I've exposed too much of my folders!

I see PythonProgramming.pdf and WordBlockProgramming.pdf, which is presumably what you intended. Thanks for doing this!

By the way, check out https://primelessons.org/en/

47 minutes ago, Laid Back Koala said:

Now back to my own challenge - a working hexapod from just the RIS components...

Maybe this would be of use:

https://jkbrickworks.com/walking-at-te-instructions/

Great doc, thank you. In fact, I don't understand how Lego itself can provide this information only inside of Mindstorms app. I would expect either some doc as you prepared or even better some HTML based page with fulltext search etc. It shows that Lego is still thinking mainly about bricks and not about electronics and software. New hubs have so big potential and Lego is literally wasting it. 

They should know, with EV3 there was a very good doc within labview (via Browser)

@Coder Shah Thanks for the two links.

I'd already had a look through the Spike Prime site, which was one of the things prompting me to start the ball rolling on some docs aimed specifically at the RIS.  My last Mindstorms efforts were back in the Cybermaster, Scout and RCX days.  There seemed to be plenty of detailed technical info back then.  Hopefully TLG might realise that it is in their best interests to publish more than they do now.

I love the AT TE walker model and its very cute leg mechanism.  Not quite what I have in mind for my hexapod.  My design uses an 'alternating tripods' method that I first saw on a Cybermaster.  I built one on this principle years ago using an RCX and three motors.  Not enough spare ports for the many touch sensors needed to correctly limit the driving movements so I used mechanical limit stops, torque gears and overdriving to make it work (not my finest piece of engineering :blush: !).  The beauty of this type of hexapod is that it's very maneuverable and can turn in its own length - like a 'tank turn'. On each side, the front and back legs move in unison but only forwards and backwards.  The centre legs have no back and forth movement - they act as lifters and act in unison across the beast.  Difficult to describe so I'll have a dig through my archives so you can see what I mean.

Anyway, when I've finished with the 'out of the box' robots I'm pretty much convinced that I can design one using just the RIS bits

Ha, just found the original hexapod idea based on a Cybermaster (still there after all these years :sweet:):

https://www.angelfire.com/space/avcampos/lego/Hexapod/Technic_Hexapod.htm

That shows the principle.  Extrapolate that to the RIS servo motors and more elegant leg solutions and you should get the idea...

(removed by user) OT:

[sorry, I was reading an other topic and replied there but for some reason my reply ended up here, in a topic that I hadn't even seen .. ] -sorry

Edited by BrickDesignerNL

On 1/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, Laid Back Koala said:

...I couldn't take it any more :hmpf_bad: so documented both in my own format.  Note that the text is lifted from the originals (hope TLG doesn't mind) but organised, edited  and formatted for PDF browsing (or printing if you must!).  Both have fully working Contents, Bookmarks and Indexes:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agv70JYmtXzNg4xmlnfk08-SQ3RZ_A?e=iIKusR ...

@Laid Back Koala Thank you for compiling the data and sharing with us! 

- Blend3d (aka David)

On 1/10/2021 at 4:19 AM, Laid Back Koala said:

Thanks for sharing your docs! Maybe this website might be of your interest too:

https://hubmodule.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Edited by BrickDesignerNL

@BrickDesignerNL

Many thanks for the link. 

Sorry for the original rather terse reply.  I'd just started typing when I got interrupted and sent without thinking.  So  good to see some interesting docs have emerged 🙂.

Now all I need is some spare time to absorb it all.  It would be great to get the various scraps together in one place.  Meanwhile, there's a lot to catch up on since my RCX days 🤓.

PS.  I still prefer PDF to Web pages.  So much easier to read off-line 🧐.  Living with somewhat unreliable broadband here in Aus!  And I need Father Christmas to set up a Web site - my ISP used to provide free hosting,  but no  more 😥.

Edited by Laid Back Koala
Unintended original post