Sign in to follow this  
Spud The Viking

[GoC] HMS Forbearance

Dear Rear-Admiral Fletcher,

With the conflict still ongoing, Her Majesty requires quality ships more than ever, and I am burdened to assist the country's cause. I have taken it upon myself to finance and construct a schooner as per the requirements of Her Majesty's Admiralty.

You will find HMS Forbearance is a ten-gun schooner with raked masts. She may seem bulky, but this is to ensure greater defence and stowing of troops or cargo. I shall leave the specifics of her classification into the qualified hands of the Admiralty.

Godspeed,

Lord Spud

50814391946_088549feb2_c.jpg

50813637093_8108a66c0f_c.jpg

50814374306_0922a50392_c.jpg

50814489452_31b8b5937d_c.jpg

This was a project I began early last year and left untouched for many months. Now, before my last semester begins, I found the motivation to finish her.

Edited by Spud The Viking

Nice schooner. With the masts tilted backwards, it looks realistic.

A nice looking ship, I like the raked masts and the use of round bricks on the stern.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:49 PM, Count Vroskri said:

Great schooner! 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:19 PM, evancelt said:

I love the windows! They give it a really fancy yacht aesthetic

On 1/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, NOD said:

Nice schooner. With the masts tilted backwards, it looks realistic.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:27 AM, Bodi said:

A nice looking ship, I like the raked masts and the use of round bricks on the stern.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, Brickwolf said:

Great ship!

Thank you guys!

King's Harbour, Admiralty office

Cocovia

January, 621AE

To Lord Spud

Mylord, it is with the utmost gratitude that I have received your letter, and with even greater joy that I could witness the vessel enter the King's Harbour anchorage. After a thorough inspection and sea trial by my officers and a tour on my own part, I am pleased to inform you that it has passed all trials and inspections and is ready to be put into service with the Royal Navy.

In Her Majesty's Service,

Rear-Admiral Samuel Fletcher

For the GoH, that is a :thumbup: from me! I really like her overall looks - highlights are the raked masts, custom rigging, and cabin windows, but I also think you have achieved a nice overall shaping of the hull, and the masts and spars are well designed too. I have a few points of feedback you can consider for future projects:

• Minifigs, minifigs, minifigs! I'd have loved to see a crew of sorts on board to make it come more alive. It doesn't change the quality of the moc, but just gives it that little extra in presentation.
  • Sails - You could consider adding sails (paper or cloth) - although that does obscure some of the rigging work.
  • Overall hull shape - I think you have gotten some really nice shapes and transitions, particularly at the bow, but the top-down picture shows that the sides are very straight and parallel. Ideally, it should taper in, particularly towards the sterncabin. It can be very hard to achieve, particularly together with tumblehome. So if you want a challenge,  try that out! :pir-laugh:
  • You have achieved a sense of sheer (where the middle part of the hull is lower than stern and bow), but I think the lowered part should optimally have included two more gunports to make the curve more optimal. Alternatively raise the bow and stern even further, although I think that would compromise her sleek appearance.

Overall, these are really nitpicks, and the forbearance is a beautiful schooner - the raked masts where a bold choice, but a very successful one!

Well done, sir!

On 1/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, JintaiZ said:

Nice build! The colors look excellent!

22 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Great job Spud!

Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words @Bregir!

There are minifigures on board, I just took the photos from a lower angle to show the shape, now I realise you can't see the deck very well :pir_wacko:

I appreciate all the feedback you've given, as I'm still a novice when it comes to shipbuilding!

30 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

novice

For the record, I in no way consider this the work of a novice! It is a very nice vessel, even for an experienced builder :thumbup:

Those raked masts are fantastic, and the top-down view of the deck is just beautiful!  I was about to mention that I thought it was a good move to go without minifigs when I read Bregir's comment and your response and spotted them in there, :grin: - the sleekness of your vessel had really set me off thinking that it was quite a bit smaller than it really is, and they do look quite appropriate in there!  Very nice work, and clever PU on the rear windows :thumbup:

On 1/13/2021 at 4:05 PM, Garmadon said:

Those raked masts are fantastic, and the top-down view of the deck is just beautiful!  I was about to mention that I thought it was a good move to go without minifigs when I read Bregir's comment and your response and spotted them in there, :grin: - the sleekness of your vessel had really set me off thinking that it was quite a bit smaller than it really is, and they do look quite appropriate in there!  Very nice work, and clever PU on the rear windows :thumbup:

Thank you!! The mixel joints at the front really helped with the 'sleek-ness' 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:18 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

A beautiful ship Spud and congrats on the front page!

Thanks! I am grateful for the Front Page status!

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

There are some fine ship-builders out there in Scotland!

Thank you! Hah, there were. But I'm glad to continue the reputation! 

Nice schooner. The hull and raked masts are certainly eye-catching. The windows are neat too. Bregir gave some pretty good tips; to that I'd add a proper base of some sort or perhaps an edited background to one pic although it certainly isn't essential. Good work.

Excellent work Spud! She's a bit bulky, but I like the look of her. The windows on the stern look quite good in particular. 

17 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Nice schooner. The hull and raked masts are certainly eye-catching. The windows are neat too. Bregir gave some pretty good tips; to that I'd add a proper base of some sort or perhaps an edited background to one pic although it certainly isn't essential. Good work.

Thanks! I have a quick edit of a pic on my Flickr but I guess I forgot to post it here :pir-grin:

10 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Excellent work Spud! She's a bit bulky, but I like the look of her. The windows on the stern look quite good in particular. 

Thank you Mesabi!