Sign in to follow this  
SD100

Fitting a Lego Crossover

I have a new double track oval with Bricktracks great R120 and R104 curves, but I'm trying to put a crossover in with the standard R40 switches while I wait for those dear, dear R104 switches. I've been trying to put in a slight bump out on the inner track to fit them but nothing is lining up right. I've got a dearth of lego curves, Bricktracks R56, and Bricktracks short tracks pack, but so far I haven't found the right combination to get me back to the 8 stud separation on both ends. Am I missing the easy solution here, or is it time to take the hacksaw to the switches. I know I could just offset one track by a double straight in the middle of the curve, but I want to keep the tracks next to each other as much as possible. I also have a fondness for a Conrail "Unnecessary S Curve", because if I'm going to be prototypical, then that is the thing I want to be prototypical about, lol.

SD

Depends if you have enough free straight space after your curve and are willing to cut your r40 lego switches, you could modify four of your switches to build this:

crossover_simplified.jpg.b6be77f174920d1dcac1fc53449f076d.jpg

If you are trying to make a crossover with r40 switches and keep the 8 stud separation then you will have to use the hacksaw. It's more intimidating than it really is. I've cut up quite a few switches and I'm so much happier for it.

Also, crossovers are the easiest modifications to do because they only require some cutting. Stubby switches and moving the throw bar to the through side of they track are a little more involved as they require some gluing and joining rails.

Edited by ALCO

19 hours ago, ALCO said:

If you are trying to make a crossover with r40 switches and keep the 8 stud separation then you will have to use the hacksaw. It's more intimidating than it really is. I've cut up quite a few switches and I'm so much happier for it.

You could buy a few switches from bricklink, they can be had for less than $5 ea and try it. Worst case, you are out $20 and a little time. Here are a couple of resources, a video, and a blog post. Or if you are not handy with tools and you don't mind non-lego, Trixbrix does sell switches that can be configured into a single crossover. Although for that price, you might be able to find someone who will modify lego switches, e.g., here.