Oky

MOC: The Golden State

50808650923_b2df6c6f47_z.jpg

15 years ago, I moved to California from Germany with my family and it changed my life tremendously. I love it here, so I wanted to make a tribute to the Golden State that highlights some of its best and most recognizable features. This is a three dimensional map of California with a minifig and micro build for each landmark, including Hollywood, Disneyland, Legoland, Death Valley, Joshua Tree Park, Monterey Bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, Yosemite Half Dome, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and Redwood Park.

50808650878_176af843f6_z.jpg

I tried to make it as topographically accurate as possible with all the mountains and valleys. I even included the islands around it.

50808650908_04b9922cdf_z.jpg

As you can see, it has the recognizable sock-shape of California.

50809510307_0dcb41f7d6_z.jpg

Let's take a closer look, starting with the NorCal portion. Here you can see a hiker among some redwood trees, a vineyard farmer harvesting grapes for his wine, and a snowboarder by Lake Tahoe.

50809393651_0c60246afc_z.jpg

The bay area is represented by a micro build of the golden state bridge, a hippie, and a seal for Monterey Bay.

50809393631_47031fd515_z.jpg

The SoCal section is comprised of the Hollywood sign with an Academy Award winning actress, the Disneyland Castle, a placemark for Bricks LA (which this MOC was built for), and Legoland California.

50809510427_925e5b16c1_z.jpg

In the back, you can see a joshua tree and a skeleton, representing Joshua Tree Park and Death Valley respectively.

50808650783_6af2310b8f_z.jpg

And what would a California MOC be without a surfer dude? This dude is surfing in front of a beach scene that represents all the great beaches in California such as Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach.

50809510372_19b10ea601_z.jpg

Let me know what you think in the comments.

Thanks for looking and keep on California dreamin'. :classic:

On 1/7/2021 at 5:47 AM, JintaiZ said:

Beautiful! The water effect looks fantastic.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it would look too flat or blocky, but I'm glad to hear it turned out well.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, Karalora said:

This is awesome! I love my state!

Thank you! Nice to see another Cali-person on here! :sweet:

On 1/7/2021 at 12:56 PM, CopperTablet said:

This is a really nice design,  but the fire is way too rounded and should have more colors than just yellow.

Thanks! It is meant to be a stylized sun, so the roundness is intentional, although you might be right that adding some orange or flame-yellow would make it look more interesting, maybe as a gradient like I did with the water. I'll consider an update.

It's a pity the 2x2 round brick doesn't come in dark orange, because that would be superb for depicting the redwood trunks.