This buggy contains a 3600KV brushless motor (2838). It has a pinion made from a LEGO axle and it runs a seriously good working drive-train.

Together with the new 42109 differential and a (new?) 2D suspension method it turns out to be a fun car to drive.

Brushless LEGO Buggy

Please watch a video here.

Especially the suspensions are worth having a look. More and more I'm using custom springs to create all sort of applications. Useful and useless. Almost useless is the spring-lock to open the hood. Very useful are the long front springs and the two-dimensional rear springs. Please let me know your comments.

No building instructions available yet. If there is a need, let me know.

Edited by janssnet

For pictures you ought to use an external service and deeplink them here (Brickshelf, Bricksafe and Flickr are amongst the most used ones)

Very surprising to see the U-joint is intact, would've expected it to explode considering how fragile they usually are. Seems great fun to drive, "RC buggy motors" have no chance against it :laugh:

I am really curious to know how you mate the motor with Lego axles. Also, how the motor attaches to the Lego chassis. Some details of these will be very helpful. These are the most troublesome areas for any 3rd party power-train. Thanks !

12 hours ago, syclone said:

For pictures you ought to use an external service and deeplink them here (Brickshelf, Bricksafe and Flickr are amongst the most used ones)

Thanks, works!

8 hours ago, iLego said:

I am really curious to know how you mate the motor with Lego axles. Also, how the motor attaches to the Lego chassis. Some details of these will be very helpful. These are the most troublesome areas for any 3rd party power-train. Thanks !

Today or tomorrow I'll do a video to wrap up my findings to make LEGO work with custom motors, including pinion gear, mounting tricks, etc.

I am very impressed with the U-Joint being able to survive all the power, too :thumbup:

Looking forward to see the gearing once you are done with the video.

4 hours ago, Milan said:

I am very impressed with the U-Joint being able to survive all the power, too :thumbup:

Looking forward to see the gearing once you are done with the video.

Here is the video

Does this answer your questions?

And is it worth doing a separate post?

Edited by janssnet

This is fantastic! Question: do you have any specs on your custom springs? My approach has been a bit haphazard and I now have a box full to the brim with assorted springs, none of which are any good.

37 minutes ago, MinusAndy said:

This is fantastic! Question: do you have any specs on your custom springs? My approach has been a bit haphazard and I now have a box full to the brim with assorted springs, none of which are any good.

Please have a look here

Bottom-line:

Length x Diameter x Thickness (in mm)

Soft spring        25 x 7 x 0.4.  (when using without the LEGO spring housing, just the separate spring, you can use any length of course)

Stiff spring        25 x 7 x 0.7

Great performance on this one, and I love the rear suspension, I have also built something similar using the large turntables, though a bit more complicated with the spring attachment. I like your method of using the springs here, the 3d suspension using the towballs and links, I might give it a go to test these. You just cut some 6L links for that, right? Did you glue it into the connector?

Where do you get the extra soft/hard springs from? What's a good source of compatible diameter/length springs?