evancelt

Brethren of the Brick Seas sub-forum down?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi @Mister Phes

Not sure if this is only happening for me, but when I visit the Brethren of the Brick Seas sub-forum, i just see a white WSOD page instead of the forum!

In the network tab of my browser, it is receiving a 200 response but blank content.

Other sub-forums / messaging work.

:jollyroger:

Thanks!

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Chrome won't load anything with the link. I tried direct linking to a page with one of my notifications, and it still didn't work.

Edit: I just checked the Forum Information and Help page, and there a couple of threads from the end of last month about other pages having the same problem.

Edited by gedren_y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BoBs sub forum uses a different theme than this forum so could be an issue specific to that other theme's template files

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It does seem like this has happened recently with other forums and is related to their forum design themes

 

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also an empty (white) website. I experienced the problem at the company I worked for before. Some of the company's websites were no longer available, others were available. The whole thing took 1 week until it worked to some extent again. Well, after that we had to correct errors on the homepage for 2 months. The web content management system was responsible. They made a software update. With Eurobricks it would be:

 

"Powered by Invision Community"

 

https://invisioncommunity.com/

 

If Eurobricks (hopefully) does daily backups, then the damage is minimal.

 

There is also the following option:

 

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/contact/

 

In my experience, a forum is more effective if many different users write it every day (not the same user every day). It's more effective because everyone can see it. It is important to keep the topic alive and not let it perish. Nobody cares if a single person writes. Only when a lot of people write does someone answer.

 

We all must remember that Brethren of the Bricks Seas is a free game. That is why we should all be grateful if it (hopefully) works again soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - I think we just need to get the attention of a server admin who has access to server error logs / debugging so they can see what about the forum theme for the BoBs subforum is throwing a wrench in the works!

Often themes need to be updated to keep pace with underlying CMS updates (a change to the core software ripples through to changes in hooks/filters in the templates and some older ones get deprecated).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Agreed - I think we just need to get the attention of a server admin who has access to server error logs / debugging so they can see what about the forum theme for the BoBs subforum is throwing a wrench in the works!

Often themes need to be updated to keep pace with underlying CMS updates (a change to the core software ripples through to changes in hooks/filters in the templates and some older ones get deprecated).

Google seems to have translated my German post well. You understood me.:pir-huzzah2:

 

………………. "We just need to get the attention of a server admin who has access to server error logs / debugging so they can see what about the forum theme for the BoBs subforum is throwing a wrench in the works!" ………………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also happened with the Technic Forum last week or so.  @Jim temporary fix was to apply the Star Wars theme.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

It also happened with the Technic Forum last week or so.  @Jim temporary fix was to apply the Star Wars theme.

 

Sounds like you guys are on it. If you want any extra help, PM the error logs over and I'd be happy to take a look. I was an early adopter of PHP in 2002 and have decades of experience w/ Linux.

Edited by evancelt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Sounds like you guys are on it. If you want any extra help, PM the error logs over and I'd be happy to take a look. I was an early adopter of PHP in 2002 and have decades of experience w/ Linux.

Hmmm interesting. I will keep your offer in mind, because I do almost everything....exept PHP and Linux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dr_spock said:

@Jim temporary fix was to apply the Star Wars theme.

So potentially there is an error with in the BoBS theme...

Although, the BoBS forum just uses the default theme with a different banner, whereas the LEGO Pirates Forum theme has direct customisation to the HTML and CSS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, Jim said:

Hmmm interesting. I will keep your offer in mind, because I do almost everything....exept PHP and Linux.

Jim, is there any possibility of temporarily fix?  Like, you did with the Technic Forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mister Phes said:

Jim, is there any possibility of temporarily fix?  Like, you did with the Technic Forum?

Done! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Done! :thumbup:

Thank you, Jim! The BoBS forum is now back in business! 

Could also please do the same for The Brethren Court sub-theme as it also uses the BoBS theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Thank you @Jim

There's just the brethren court forum which is not working left

Fixed.

(we are working on updating the server. After that we will take a look at the themes.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jim said:

(we are working on updating the server. After that we will take a look at the themes.)

Thank you for the update.:pir-thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All help much appreciated, and thank you for getting us back online!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jim said:

(we are working on updating the server. After that we will take a look at the themes.)

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.