9 minutes ago, keymaker said:

They should use tires from batmobile set to make them less rare and a bit cheaper. And it seems they would fit better here, but we will see.

I completery agree!

Edited by Igor1

40 minutes ago, syclone said:

Oh, another "USA-inspired" set xD :sarcasm:

Not a fan of another orange car (why not LBG/silver or "normal" blue?) 

The tyres certainly are an overkill, but nice to see them in more sets. Mudguard extenders in black are useful as well.

Hopefully we'll get more "international" cars soon...

Other colour options that'd look better IMHO:

Reveal hidden contents

2021-ford-f-150-raptor-rendering-1594401

745446.jpg

LBG would probably look pretty boring as the colour just isn't striking enough to make for a good display, and the necessary parts don't exist in any of the silvery colours, so they would have to create an entirely new set of elements for a gray/silver car. Normal blue or even dark blue would probably work though. But on the other hand, it's nice to see a pre-existing colour with an parts palette expanding.

49 minutes ago, howitzer said:

LBG would probably look pretty boring as the colour just isn't striking enough to make for a good display, and the necessary parts don't exist in any of the silvery colours, so they would have to create an entirely new set of elements for a gray/silver car. Normal blue or even dark blue would probably work though.

How about sand blue? I feel that would work really well

54 minutes ago, howitzer said:

it's nice to see a pre-existing colour with an parts palette expanding.

Exactly what I was thinking. For MOC's it it is very bad if TLG always chooses a different weird color like:

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

sand blue

Edited by Gray Gear

6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

an parts palette expanding

I find it really funny that although the panel palette is expanding, the new parts will only appear in 1 set and will not reappear for a very long time.

Examples:

- 2019: Shell Panel 3x11 10 holes in Orange. It has only appeared in Corvette so far.
- 2020: Tapered 5x11 in Orange. It has only appeared in the Osprey and we all know how it goes.

29 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

How about sand blue? I feel that would work really well

It's a nice colour but never used in Technic, so I have no desire to see another colour that is near-useless in MOCing, at least for years and years to come. I contemplated buying the Defender for a long time, but in the end I decided not to get it due to the new colour scheme, which makes it very hard to use those parts in MOCs.

17 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I find it really funny that although the panel palette is expanding, the new parts will only appear in 1 set and will not reappear for a very long time.

Examples:

- 2019: Shell Panel 3x11 10 holes in Orange. It has only appeared in Corvette so far.
- 2020: Tapered 5x11 in Orange. It has only appeared in the Osprey and we all know how it goes.

2019 was only two years ago, so not that long. Usually it can take 5 or even 10 years for a new colour to have wide variety of parts, which is why I don't wish to see completely new colour schemes. And yeah, the Osprey thing is an annoying one, but hopefully a one-time incident and not something that'll ever repeat. And hopefully we'll get these parts and more in other sets in the future.

---

It would be nice to have some kind of tool to see which colours have a wide enough parts palette to be usable. A while ago I made the spreadsheet of panels, but there are a lot of other parts to consider, most notably liftarms and certain connectors.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Examples:

One appearance is completely enough to get the part from Bricks & Pieces or Bricklink. The main point is the variety of the parts available in that specific color, the more the better. Introducing yet another exotic color that has no history in Technic sets would really not help MOC builders. As an example dark purple would be such a cool color to use, but we did not get anything since 42069. There are like 4 types of liftarms available in that color and that's all...

50 minutes ago, kbalage said:

One appearance is completely enough to get the part from Bricks & Pieces or Bricklink. The main point is the variety of the parts available in that specific color, the more the better. Introducing yet another exotic color that has no history in Technic sets would really not help MOC builders. As an example dark purple would be such a cool color to use, but we did not get anything since 42069. There are like 4 types of liftarms available in that color and that's all...

Don't forget the 5x11 panels in dark blue that were introduced with the limited edition 41999 Crawler. Technically available, but in practice expensive to the point of being unusable, at least until the release of the Cement truck last year. So yeah, I'd much rather take expansions to the existing colours (like dark blue and dark purple) than a completely new colour like sand blue.

I wish it was in normal blue, and if I recall in 2017 the Speed Champions set of the truck was blue. I’m building an entirely blue car right now and I’ve had to make some compromises. Sand blue would be neat but only the large Technic panel appears in it already and the palette would still be very limited. That being said, it would look pretty cool.

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Sand blue would be neat

Well, we finally get rid of medium blue to have one more shade! However, I wouldn't mind having sand blue in Technic theme.

But there are already sand blue technic parts in other themes? The garmadon shark had large panels. Time to expand!

Edited by Gumalca

My favorite would be dark azure with beige interrier :wink:

2 hours ago, Gumalca said:

But there are already sand blue technic parts in other themes? The garmadon shark had large panels. Time to expand!

Only panels 17 and 18 exist currently in sand blue. As for the thick liftarms, only 7L exists in sand blue. So the current parts palette is as good as nonexistent.

14 hours ago, amorti said:

Agree. If we compare it to the red abomination, it's cheaper, smaller, and has fewer parts. Anyone who expects a gearbox here is, sadly, dreaming.

At least we can look forward to some wacky C-models (B-models) :thumbup:

Well, I wouldn't be too certain that there is no gearbox. It's not necessarily likely that it will include one, but it does appear to be at least a rough successor to the Defender, at least in being a fairly large 4x4. I think we could all agree that a gearbox could have fit in the Ferrari without too much trouble, so the scale wouldn't exclude it here. Really it just comes down to Lego's preferences, which have admittedly not been encouraging, but perhaps the set's loose connection to the Defender could show an inclination to include a gearbox...

@2GodBDGlory only time will tell for sure, but if 1375 pieces is right, then that's half what the land rover had and all bets on any gearbox >2 speeds are off.

Edited by amorti

According to Stud.io, the wheel arches from 42096 do not fit with the wheel arch extenders (71689) from 42125, so there may well be a new piece involved, or they are attached differently. Can some-one with the parts in real life verify?

They fit. I’ve tried some time ago and Sariel did in his review of 42125. 

Am I looking at something different than you guys? This set just screams lazy, just like the Ferrari 42125. I don’t think it even looks that great…. 

Whipped up some basic colour variations below... I've gotta say, there's a lot of colours that would work very well for this set.

In order: blue, yellow, teal, sand blue :wub:, red, purple, lime, LBG and 42099:

OWepjNw.png

RD8ubS1.png

Fip1sVU.png

Fm5zyCf.png

s6k5XMM.png

WUGOjoI.png

kk4LfUd.png

zxQgBx3.png

WlOfuJx.png

Edited by Bartybum

1 minute ago, amorti said:

@Bartybum cool, they'll all be available on Ali next week :pir-grin: