I am just hoping it will be back in stock again. Seems to be running low on supply. Should be temporary though since it hasn't been on sale for very long, but who knows in these strange times.

For the MSRP of the set, the pneumatics and newer parts, it was being snapped up like cray by builders and parts sellers. On top of ongoing global supply issues.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, thekoRngear said:

You can count me in. The steering is superb! I played with it a lot yesterday. Sariel complained (lightly) the top steering requiring a bit more rotation but that's fine with me

It really well-made and is felt like a real truck steering - you just turn the wheel and don't feel any feedback due truck's weight and hydraulic power steering system. It has a huge difference from rack and pinion steering in cars.

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

It really well-made and is felt like a real truck steering - you just turn the wheel and don't feel any feedback due truck's weight and hydraulic power steering system. It has a huge difference from rack and pinion steering in cars.

Learnt another thing from you, thanx. There is one funny thing- as I am currently in the building process of 8880 I eliminated the top steering wheel (that rubberized split axle wheel) with the 42128's black double bevel gear. Just out of curiosity, I have put that rubberized wheel on top of the 42128 and it feels even better. As the rubber is slightly bigger and slightly slippery it gives a better feel, lol.

28 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

As the rubber is slightly bigger and slightly slippery it gives a better feel, lol.

Context is for the weak! :grin:

Two not too serious problems:

1. The right white panel of the hood is a bit off in the front compared to the left one. I checked the white panel and adjacent parts but nothing seemed out to me.

640x1138.jpg

2. The front right stabilizer does not always close properly, a gentle push is needed. What could be the possible reason? Does it have something to do with the bottom hinge mechanism or the linear actuator inside? Has it also happened to anyone else?
640x1138.jpg

Edited by thekoRngear

13 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

I checked the white panel and adjacent parts but nothing seemed out to me.

This might be caused by the crooked black pins.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This might be caused by the crooked black pins.

I have some old black pins as spares. Will try with them.

14 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

2. The front right stabilizer does not always close properly, a gentle push is needed. What could be the possible reason? Does it have something to do with the bottom hinge mechanism or the linear actuator inside? Has it also happened to anyone else?

It may happen. I got it and spen some time to avoid it - the reason is in the bas syncronization between actuators in the drive train. You need to change the actuator position by tyrning its inner orange axle. I have a perfect result now when one actuator was fully extended and another had 1/2 rotation remaing till the end. With such setup they both were syncronized perfectly. I supposed it could be caused by relative gear positions, so possibly it may requre some different rotation angle in your case. 

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

It may happen. I got it and spen some time to avoid it - the reason is in the bas syncronization between actuators in the drive train. You need to change the actuator position by tyrning its inner orange axle. I have a perfect result now when one actuator was fully extended and another had 1/2 rotation remaing till the end. With such setup they both were syncronized perfectly. I supposed it could be caused by relative gear positions, so possibly it may requre some different rotation angle in your case. 

Duly noted!

It was mentioned many times here, that the livery of this truck resembels the "Suburban Towing Inc" KY (from USA, Kentucky) but just now I found an interesting fact.

269847340_4777215745706354_1235819913075

It is a new photo from the Facebook profile of this company. So now we know that they are aware about this similarity :grin:

Edited by Void_S

They say this picture is from the Netherlands, probably from a fan or follower.

Chrome parts are surely from custombricks.nl

They also show this

260411654_4682144495213480_3706547482126

Edited by Polarlicht

@Ngoc Nguyen definitely the black crooked pins had smthing to do with the hood's right white long panel being that gap-y. I replaced the 2 corresponding crooked ones with the good ones and they are significantly reduced as the problem was twofold- the long white panel is not as grippy as the left one. But it is now much better. If I don't get to be happy even after this one, I am not hooman :pir_tong2:

Howevr, it turns out it to be actually spread. As Void S instructed I was adjusting the synchronization of the right front actuator (and that problem is now fixed). In the process of doing so, I also found this

800x364.jpg

Not a big fuss to make about, but I am now pretty sure this crooked pin definitely has its effect here and there inside and outside this awesome Truck. With all my functioning problems solved and a few tweaks here and there this set has now become one of three most flawless sets/MOCs in my collection (with crooked effects :pir-tongue:).

Edited by thekoRngear

12 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

one of three most flawless sets/MOCs in my collection

Sorry for the offtop, what are the other two ones that deserve such high mark? This set is really one of best "old-school Technic" sets with functions over exterior, but the exterior is also apperead nice and remarkabke. So I qurious if other two sets are also "old-schooled" or are totally different? 

17 hours ago, Void_S said:

Sorry for the offtop, what are the other two ones that deserve such high mark? This set is really one of best "old-school Technic" sets with functions over exterior, but the exterior is also apperead nice and remarkabke. So I qurious if other two sets are also "old-schooled" or are totally different? 

Since 2019 (my journey starts after coming out of dark age) till now I have 9 sets so far in my collection. The list might not excite you :classic: The first three sets of my collection are: 42110>42115>C61042
While the last three ones: 8280>8880>42128. With these nine sets my Phase I is complete, still ironing out and understanding the limitations and issues of the remaining ones.
Looking for the 42139 and will closely observe the 42142 and 42144 :pir-classic: I am yet to grab a 8868 and also seriously considering the 8043. Now you see how it started and where it is going...
Anyhoo, my 3 most flawless (till to date) sets/MOCs are:

1. 42110 Jeep Bruiser conversion (the build is rock solid, with few tweaks and immense help from the designer himself it becomes more better)
  2. 8880 (already a solid build with a few little quirks in the suspension system which are fixed after couple a tries)
  3. 42128 (with few tweaks and all the mistakes ironed out thanks to the EB members)

Sorry guys for the off-topic. Now continue on the 42128 tow truck

Edited by thekoRngear

Bit late to the party on this one.. This is may take on #42128! 

From the start I liked the overall concept and features, just a little bit 'toy like' in the styling for my tastes. So work has been to equal up the front end by filling in the headlight gaps and building a thicker bumper. I've also lowered the side tanks 1 stud and evened the area under the controls. This all balances the visually lighter front end out! Other details include a matched sleeper panel; rear arches filled ; bits of tiling and of course.. the colour change! What do you think?

548900089b1e406b3755643d9cb5d1b5.jpg

40e5abb3c29de1d0589ca05f93b5e4fa.jpg

6e41acbeccc51b0cab58272f6830f51b.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, anyUser said:

Raising the brown axles by (almost) 1/2 L will remove the issue. 

I found a better solution:

921_wrn220130_115325k.png

When I made sure that the axle end is level with the yellow 1/2 bushing the drivetrian runs smoothly as you would expect fro the beginning.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:15 PM, zoo said:

I am just hoping it will be back in stock again. Seems to be running low on supply. Should be temporary though since it hasn't been on sale for very long, but who knows in these strange times.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:57 AM, weavil said:

For the MSRP of the set, the pneumatics and newer parts, it was being snapped up like cray by builders and parts sellers. On top of ongoing global supply issues.

Yes, it is back in stock in the UK, perhaps at half the stock level of early January, but at an increased RRP of £149.99 (up by £10).
By the time 20% has been taken off that (£119.99) it would still be reasonable at 5.94p/p.
Glad I got 2 while it dipped to £111.99 before!

Clearly this is the best Technic set for a while, popular for what it is, not just for its financial value.
Great steering, lots of functions for play value, well-used pneumatics and complete absence of phone control.  The only thing to beat it would be more of the same!

The 1/11 cylinders are useful, with two in parallel having similar unconnected pull torque to a single 2/11 or 2/6 cylinder.
I do wish TLG would produce more 2/6 cylinders, perhaps with the new 2/11 bottom shape, and a new back-to-back cylinder connector piece for that shape.
2/6 cylinders were the most useful for moving valve switch levers.  A new connector piece would extend how the cylinders could be combined for longer reaches, though some overlap may be needed to get a better L/d ratio.

Mark

7 hours ago, Brickthus said:

I do wish TLG would produce more 2/6 cylinders, perhaps with the new 2/11 bottom shape, and a new back-to-back cylinder connector piece for that shape.
2/6 cylinders were the most useful for moving valve switch levers.

Same here. I have been wanting to see the return of the 2/6 cylinders for a long while. Very useful for certain functions where you don't need the reach of the 2.0 cylinders. Been contemplating on buying an old set just to get a couple of the shorter 2x2 cylinders. Was hoping the rumored grey cylinders would be of the short variety but probably not the case.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, weavil said:

Yeah, it's surprisingly hard to find this set in stock in the US without a marked up price. I've never seen it any of the 4 or 5 Lego stores in my area, and it always shows sold out on the Lego website.

Long-term 42128 users, I was disassembling the front part to make some changes to the engine and then I saw this:

640x480.jpg

So, apparently, the bottom steering shaft's 3L LBG connector gets to "contact" with the black gear rack when steering. As a result, the black prints of the bottom gear rack gets slightly mixed with that connector and the connector's LBG prints is evidently on that black gear rack. I have no problem steering at all but, I am bit confused. Has this been happening to the other users as well? Should I let this be continue?

7 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

I have no problem steering at all but, I am bit confused.

Me neither but mine isn't as worn as yours however it is still noticeable.

7 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

Has this been happening to the other users as well? Should I let this be continue?

It has now that you've pointed it out. So not just your 42128.

I believe it depends on how you use it. Mine is more a "static model", stays in its place, and its tow-superstructure is in use only. I just have no space to roll it somewhere so hard to have such worn marks.

However, I was also surprised by this crossing of the steering rack and counter-steer upper shaft - they really move in different directions so it causes bigger wear than if the upper part was static. I would replace it with a plain liftarm, like other models do.

15 minutes ago, Void_S said:

I believe it depends on how you use it. Mine is more a "static model", stays in its place.

Same here but I was surprised at how worn down it was.

Ah guys! Don't make me look like a maniac who tortures his Tow Truck's steering to death 🤦‍♂️ Besides, as said here it is meant to be heavy duty :pir-tongue: During its 8 month (ongoing) life, I take it out once or twice every month to check the functions. Its moving and steering are of least priority. Howevr, one accidental wind up and it might cause that which I don't think I've done. Also, there is another thing which might factor in. If ya guys remember the parts in this set are of different nature as discussed here. The blue pins the black pins even the 3L black cross-axle pins everything (compared to Lego's own standard) is weird. My point if it is played normally for such long time that kinda worn out might happen with the parts factoring in.

Thanks for yer input and insight 🤗