1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Just found this video including its speed build.

It's not even a complete speed build, for reasons we can probably ascertain for ourselves. Why he'd even bother with it at this point in time is beyond me. :hmpf:

52 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It's not even a complete speed build, for reasons we can probably ascertain for ourselves. Why he'd even bother with it at this point in time is beyond me. :hmpf:

These guys like this one or JB Spielwaren are retailers, not experienced reviewers. They see the popularity of the review videos, and since as a retailer they have very early access to the sets they can film these videos and publish sooner than us because they are not bound by TLG's review embargo dates. As the first ones to publish this brings them views and more clicks on their webpages, but does not assure the quality of the review. 

IMHO the only miningfull thing I can notice (in this review) are shown bunch of 11 beams with alternating pin holes

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

As the first ones to publish this brings them views and more clicks on their webpages, but does not assure the quality of the review. 

This sort of thing should be discouraged, especially considering that actual reviewers, like you and @Sariel, abide by the embargo dates and put in the effort to make something worthwhile.

Edited by Maaboo35

36 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

This sort of thing should be discouraged, especially considering that actual reviewers, like you and @Sariel, abide by the embargo dates and put in the effort to make something worthwhile.

The retailers have their contracts, and the reviewers have theirs. Unless the retailers aren’t allowed to post early reviews (we don’t know the retail agreements) then there isn’t any ethical problem here. I feel that it seems a bit weird to assume it’s our business to judge whether it’s appropriate for someone to review the set or not.

Edited by Bartybum

20 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

The retailers have their contracts, and the reviewers have theirs. Unless the retailers aren’t allowed to post early reviews (we don’t know the retail agreements) then there isn’t any ethical problem here. I feel that it seems a bit weird to assume it’s our business to judge whether it’s appropriate for someone to review the set or not.

Well, TLG needs to decide whether they want to apply the same rules to the retailers and their recognized communities / media. Previously retailers were allowed to share assets provided by TLG before starting to sell the sets, which was fine. But recently (like this example shows), retailers started to act like media and started to release full blown reviews after the reveal embargo but before the shelf date or the review embargo of the set. I assume their previous agreements did not cover this situation, so although they might not brake any rules, they use a loophole in the system to make more promotion for themselves. This is an advantage no one else can beat, as no one else has physical access to the sets way before the release. If this becomes a wide spread habit then it will definitely hurt the reviewers on a longer term, so please allow us to judge them at least a little bit :wink:

Just now, Bartybum said:

@kbalage Sounds like an inconsistency worth bringing up with TLG

Already happened, but considering the very different departments and interests involved I don't expect a resolution anytime soon.

Yes, the expression "right hand vs.left hand" often comes up in conversations about TLG management.

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

Are the pistons moving when you turn the frontwheels? :look:

Nope. The steering axle only extends to the 16z gear and not to the pin hole behind.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

Nope.

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

Well, TLG needs to decide whether they want to apply the same rules to the retailers and their recognized communities / media. Previously retailers were allowed to share assets provided by TLG before starting to sell the sets, which was fine. But recently (like this example shows), retailers started to act like media and started to release full blown reviews after the reveal embargo but before the shelf date or the review embargo of the set. I assume their previous agreements did not cover this situation, so although they might not brake any rules, they use a loophole in the system to make more promotion for themselves. This is an advantage no one else can beat, as no one else has physical access to the sets way before the release. If this becomes a wide spread habit then it will definitely hurt the reviewers on a longer term, so please allow us to judge them at least a little bit :wink:

In the video description, he is thanking Lego Germany for the review set. Seems he had a deal with them instead of TLG in Denmark.

2 hours ago, 1974 said:

The steering probably has a red z16 with a drive axle running through it (or vice versa), so if the model is thrown together without much care there might be enough friction for the pistons to engage when you operate the steering HOG.

There's three review videos, all German. 

One possibly interesting thing I spotted was that the three previous pneumatic sets had all the pneumatic components in their own bag (maybe they were produced elsewhere?), but this one has only the hoses in their own bag, with the rest of the pneumatics in with the regular parts bags. I wonder if anything can be gleamed from that, like maybe they have changed supplier, making them in house or whatever. I really don't know.

8 minutes ago, allanp said:

One possibly interesting thing I spotted was that the three previous pneumatic sets had all the pneumatic components in their own bag (maybe they were produced elsewhere?), but this one has only the hoses in their own bag, with the rest of the pneumatics in with the regular parts bags. I wonder if anything can be gleamed from that, like maybe they have changed supplier, making them in house or whatever. I really don't know.

Interesting observation. Maybe they get the lot shipped to the packaging facility.

Well, the only thing that I don't like here is a ridiculously small steering lock for a given wheelbase. It looks similar to 42098 and 42112 sets but monstrous 45-stud wheelbase makes the turning circle the biggest ever for such scale vehicles.
I regret it got no 42078 steering which was just amazing and made it quite maneuverable...

Besides that, it is an amazing set and still in the "must buy" list form me. As a great set (which makes the Technic great again!) and great parts source both. Only look at these all liftarms, endless 5*7 frames, actuators and pneumatic cylinders! It screams for alternative buildings!

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

The steering probably has a red z16 with a drive axle running through it (or vice versa), so if the model is thrown together without much care there might be enough friction for the pistons to engage when you operate the steering HOG.

Yeah, that's probably why :thumbup:

9 hours ago, 1974 said:

Yeah, that's probably why :thumbup:

I have tried it and the pistons don't move when you steer/turn the front wheels.

12 hours ago, suffocation said:

Haven't checked the video, but if the guy is not an experienced reviewer/builder he might have mixed up a red with a grey 16t gear somewhere, not knowing the difference between them. That might explain weird behaviour in functions...

The guy must have been in real rush to build the set ;) Thank you for your support guys, the embargo for 42128 lifts this Friday, but due to the unfortunate fact that YouTube punishes creators for releasing multiple videos same day (as I found out by releasing 6 reviews simultaneously in December and getting basically no views) I have to publish the 42129 review on Friday and wait with the 42128 until Saturday. Thank you for your patience. The good news is that I will be also publishing a separate video with 42129 being tested outdoors and competing against custom-built LEGO trial trucks, and maybe something more.

Looks an enjoyable build to me, and the finished model looks great. 42129 also looks excellent so far... we'll see once the embargo lifts! But at the moment both these sets are on my 'buy' list (once the discounts arrive, not at full money!!)

Just need the Cat bulldozer to be a winner too and it could be an epic year for lego... and for my wallet!!:iamded_lol:

@Jim i'm sure this has already been asked, but are you reviewing these sets? Your reviews were always very balanced assessments..

1 minute ago, TeamThrifty said:

@Jim i'm sure this has already been asked, but are you reviewing these sets? Your reviews were always very balanced assessments..

Yes, I will be reviewing both sets. They will be online tomorrow around 15:00.