Anyone want a slightly visually unsettling candy?

I think we have a 42080 contender.

Observations:

- It appears to have a 2nd axle lift.

- Crane arm has two winches. This part I approve. It's very realistic.

- Gear rack holder in either regular blue or dark blue.

- Front nose use Corvette wheel arch in orange.

- No 2-in-1 mark. Another B model bites the dust...

- There's a new label that says pneumatic function. It's similar to the motorized function label on the 42113. Since this set only has the pneumatic label and not the motorized label, a manual pump or manual compressor should be in there somewhere.

- Official name is American Tow Truck.

- 42080 valves are back.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

15 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

- Gear rack holder in either regular blue or dark blue.

This one? I'd love it in dark blue

PA18940-G-N_1.jpg

1 minute ago, suffocation said:

This one? I'd love it in dark blue

yes, looks like standard blue

Anyone has pictures yet ... or is it all wishes and speculations ?

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

Anyone has pictures yet ... or is it all wishes and speculations ?

yes, but it has a confidential stamp, so it is not possible to post it here.

1 minute ago, AirDolphin said:

missed opportunity by LEGO to make it the same scale as 8285 and 42043. its the same scale as 42098. 

No, 42098 is 17 studs wide in cabin and a bit wider. This model fits with 15 studs perfectly the mid scale trucks 42112, 42008, 42024

2 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

No, 42098 is 17 studs wide in cabin and a bit wider. This model fits with 15 studs perfectly the mid scale trucks 42112, 42008, 42024

Generally LEGO determines scale by the wheels it uses as per designer videos, not the size of the set itself. which classifies 8285, 8258, 42043, 42009 all the same scale and 42128, 42098, cement truck the green tow truck in one scale.

10 minutes ago, AirDolphin said:

Generally LEGO determines scale by the wheels it uses as per designer videos, not the size of the set itself. which classifies 8285, 8258, 42043, 42009 all the same scale and 42128, 42098, cement truck the green tow truck in one scale.

Don't get me wrong but 42009 is mobile crane and they usually have tires with 1370-1420mm (or bigger) diameter and trucks (like represented with sets) 42043, 8285, 8258 have 1000-1100mm tires...but generally you're right wheels (tires) determine scale.

...only classis U.S trucks tend to have a bit bigger tires than European when wreckers, dump trucks etc are equipped; only on highway trucks have smaller low profile tires

Edited by I_Igor

4 minutes ago, AirDolphin said:

The size of wheel defines the models scale, but not the scale to another model. 42043 and 42009 uses the same wheels, but are not in the same scale. In real live, the wheels of crane are much bigger than of standard truck. This means that with 15 studs wide, the 42009 fits the scale of 42008, 42024, 42112 and the new 42128.

2 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

The size of wheel defines the models scale, but not the scale to another model. 42043 and 42009 uses the same wheels, but are not in the same scale. In real live, the wheels of crane are much bigger than of standard truck. This means that with 15 studs wide, the 42009 fits the scale of 42008, 42024, 42112 and the new 42128.

LEGO is not going by real life, even the new creator Porsche is bigger than the mustang with the same wheels. when in real life Porsche is much smaller than the mustang. 42009, 42043, 8285, 8285 with the same wheel/scale means they are more detailed than 42098  and whatever else is in that wheel size. sets with the same wheel size as 42043 are usually more detailed so expectations  are set low for the 42128. it should have been a better version of the 8285.

28 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

From @efferman's drawing there is a space for it

2 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

From @efferman's drawing there is a space for it

Or, at least, the whole "front" opens, including the bumper (bumper+hood tils forward). It does not appear very authentic but TLG said it is not a copy model.

Edited by Void_S

2 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Or, at least, the whole "front" opens, including the bumper (bumper+hood tils forward). It does not appear very authentic but TLG said it is not a copy model.

Like this

10 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This seems to be the real life inspiration.

but the crane is much to high

1 minute ago, efferman said:

but the crane is much to high

My guess is that the length of the cylinder forces the crane to be like that.