3 hours ago, pleegwat said:

I think any kind of suspension is unlikely on a set that has a lifting axle. I do expect a driveline. 2 rearmost axles, simple difs, probably a mini L6. We hardly ever see the large cylinder pieces any more.

I'd be VERY surprised if this has any suspension, it's not a feature like on the Acros (and the looks on that suffered from it)

Honestly, I didn't expect and still, I don't, anything from the CAT. I may get surprised, who knows, but for me the thing is as follows: TLG rarely comes with groundbreaking designs, in comparison with what other AFOLS are capable of. All sets, big and small -and this tow truck is a perfect example- contributes with new or valuable pieces. So, I would try to put aside my frenzy for collection and just get those sets that really bring something in. 

Also screw those "mini" engines, I want a proper L6!

7 minutes ago, HectorMB said:

TLG rarely comes with groundbreaking designs, in comparison with what other AFOLS are capable of

They do, but mostly when they introduce parts (mostly electrical/pneumatic) that AFOLs don't have allready

Well, if the novelty of the design comes from the new parts themselves I don't consider that a novel or original design. 

I mean: the wheel hubs introduced with the 42099 are really cool, but the model didn't bring something original in terms of designing. On the other side, although the Arocs came with some new parts, for me, the key aspects of that set are the solutions for, for example, the suspension and the integration of pneumatic system and traditional gears. 

TLG models have a metric ton of constraints. I'd love to see examples of MOCs that are better than TLG's sets given the same framework

I'm oldschool, you bet I build a spaceship bigger and badder than 928 in the 80's, but would that ever been a set? Today, I have much more parts and build even bigger/better MOCs but they also would never be a set

TLG gives us sets ... and more impotantly parts. We can MOC. We're adults. We have Bricklink etc

When giving critique of official sets we tend forget that, I think

18 minutes ago, 1974 said:

When giving critique of official sets we tend forget that, I think

No. We forget. As simple as that.

I agree with you @1974. One potential issue is what is expected from TLG. Many customers come just for the collection, build a set and place it in the shelf; others for making new creations with the given pieces, and others stay in the middle. At the end, TLG have to try to find a balance between all the potential customers, which frequently comes with important constrains in terms of complexity. I guess, the tendency of the company is to stay conservative, not risking much... For that, as you said, we have the community and the MOCs. 

Anyway, I'm happy that this year we have this set. Is not big, is probably not incredibly complex, but there resides its beauty (and also in the fact that comes with some valuable pieces!).

Edited by HectorMB

21 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The only slightly poopy thing I can think of about this set is that one of the rear axles isn't also steered. Other than that, I dare say I might get this one in a year or so

I have never, and I mean never, seen a truck like this with a steering rear axle. Keep in mind that this is designed for towing potentially other trucks, which is why the rear axles are so far back. This is so that the axles can take the weight of the vehicle on the towing fork.

15 hours ago, 1974 said:

If the last axle is steerable it would mean a lot of skidding on the second axle. I don't think these types of american trucks with triple rear axles have that option. European trucks this  size often have dual wheels both in front and back with both front pairs steerable. Don't think I've ever seen a truck here with a single pair of front wheels and triple rear wheels

Eidt : I've seen massive australian trucks for coal hauling trains, how are those configured?

The road trains I have seen that are like that have 3 rear drive axles, and then 2 steering front axles. I have not seen very many vehicles with 3 rear axles that have a steering axle, but they do exist. Most of the ones I have seen have been trucks with cranes or else some other kind of equipment on the back, and not tow trucks. I see this configuration on some euro style trucks with mounted knuckle boom cranes, often times the truck needs the steering angle because they are operated in the mountains or other areas with twisting roads.

13 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Right now I'd say it's the CAT that looks somewhat doubtful, especially given that 42128 here has pride of place in the Technic catalogue pages.

Why's that? The CAT I believe is due for a later release, like around September/October I think.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I have never, and I mean never, seen a truck like this with a steering rear axle.

I mean sure it doesn't happen in real life, but I couldn't care less about that. It would've been cool to have a second steering axle regardless.

Edited by Bartybum

12 minutes ago, allanp said:

Why's that? The CAT I believe is due for a later release, like around September/October I think.

That's probably why.

5 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I have never, and I mean never, seen a truck like this with a steering rear axle. Keep in mind that this is designed for towing potentially other trucks, which is why the rear axles are so far back. This is so that the axles can take the weight of the vehicle on the towing fork.

The road trains I have seen that are like that have 3 rear drive axles, and then 2 steering front axles. I have not seen very many vehicles with 3 rear axles that have a steering axle, but they do exist. Most of the ones I have seen have been trucks with cranes or else some other kind of equipment on the back, and not tow trucks. I see this configuration on some euro style trucks with mounted knuckle boom cranes, often times the truck needs the steering angle because they are operated in the mountains or other areas with twisting roads.

I want to add that besides the necessity to hold the eight of the towed truck (that means that rear axles must have no steering, as no other things that make them less durable) the towing process suppose that the "tail swing" is not allowed to the wrecker - the rear axles must be as close as possible to the pivot point of the tow arm.

As for rear tridem trucks, they have several options:

• EU heavy haulers are always have the foremost rear axle steered, and 2-3th ones a re fixed. They have a quite short wheelbase and having all three rear axles are fixed they will completely loose an ability to turn. Super-heavy ones may also have an additional rearmost (the 4th) steered axle.
    Recap: short wheelbase, only one or two axles are allowed to be fixed (non-steered), extra weight requires extra axles. Maneuverability is a critical requirement.
  • US trucks (also heavy haulers or heavy dumps) usually have the foremost axle with pneumatic lift, so it can be raised in tight turns. Sometimes this lift axle (called a "pusher axle") may have a self-steering feature, not connected to the steering wheel anyhow. Super-heavy haulers may have additional semitrailes ("jeeps" and "busters") to extend the overall length and axles number.
    Recap: long wheelbase, up to tree axles are allowed to be fixed (non-steered), extra weight requires extra axles and a longer wheelbase. Weight distribution over the road surface is a critical requirement.
  • AUS trucks: long wheelbase, unlimited length of the while road train, soil roads. The may have all three rear axles driven and fixed, with no any steering or lift features. There is no tight turns here so there is no necessity to overcomplicate the truck. Super-heavy haulers may also have the second front axle (steered for sure) to hold the monstrous engine. Mega-heavy haulers also may have active trailers (with own engine and gearbox controlled remotely from the truck) among the roadtrailn.
    Recap: no limitations, no sharp turns, no necessity to add complicated solutions. The truck and trailers just must be durable and powerful enough.

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

EU heavy haulers are always have the foremost rear axle steered, and 2-3th ones a re fixed. They have a quite short wheelbase and having all three rear axles are fixed they will completely loose an ability to turn. Super-heavy ones may also have an additional rearmost (the 4th) steered axle.Recap: short wheelbase, only one or two axles are allowed to be fixed (non-steered), extra weight requires extra axles. Maneuverability is a critical requirement.

Also, trucks with cranes on the rear (e.g. timber trucks) also often have fourth axle steered, so the turning point lies somewhere in the middle of the two fixed axles

1 minute ago, Rebel_Lego said:

Also, trucks with cranes on the rear (e.g. timber trucks) also often have fourth axle steered, so the turning point lies somewhere in the middle of the two fixed axles

Right, they need an extra rearward axle to hold the crane attachment but keeping the same maneuverability. I mentioned here only haulers and tow trucks, as variously-purposed vehicles may have quite various axle types and locations.

Returning back to the topic, I'm about to finish my version of 42128 set. For sure I will not publish the LDD file here until the official release date. Now I wanted to ask for a common opinion - should I publish here the renders, or will bit be better also to wait for the release?
The already published photos makes the truck architecture more or less visible and understandable for reverse engineering but I still want not to make the copycats life easier.

@Void_S Just publish it fully my dude, who cares? Dokludi did it heaps of times with his replica guesses. With or without you the bootleggers are gonna copy it

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

@Void_S Just publish it fully my dude, who cares? Dokludi did it heaps of times with his replica guesses. With or without you the bootleggers are gonna copy it

I makes sense, I will think abut it while I'm finishing it.

By the way, following my research, the 11L liftarm with crossed pinholes must be presented 9 times in this if not even more:

• 2 ones at the each side (with the HOG knobs), we even guessed if they the liftarms or black frames.  = 4 ones
  • 1 at the end of the tow arm
  • 4 more ones (surprise!) they are should be used as vertical liftarms which hold the tow arm's folding part.
Edited by Void_S

11 hours ago, Void_S said:

Not finished yet but the main things are already here:

400x300.png 400x300.png 400x300.png

Wow!:wub:

This is beautiful, im sooo hyped.

It's amazing the truck even has got the pulleys to divert the cable for pulling the wrecked vehicle onto the underlift.

On 6/4/2021 at 6:22 AM, HectorMB said:

Sorry about that guys, not sure why I have such a problem deleting quote boxes.

Anyway the set looks pretty good without decals, I am glad of that. Also see many things I can change, very glad for that. I like the sets that lend themselves towards modifying the most.

Edited by Johnny1360

Looks good. But a bit flimsy in the middle?

Have anyone figgered out the pump system yet? I'm guessing it's a manual pump. 

I've seen a video on YouTube that also says this.

1 hour ago, Tazmancrash said:

He hasn't modelled the insides, and yes it will be a manual pump.

1 hour ago, Tazmancrash said:

Yes, there's a manual pump behind the cabin, missing from Void_S's rendreing. It can bee seen in the side view photo in the picture posted earlier in this thread.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Yes, there's a manual pump behind the cabin, missing from Void_S's rendreing. It can bee seen in the side view photo in the picture posted earlier in this thread.

Exactly, right after the cabin's rear side, behind the driver. I had no "Manual Pump V2.0" part in the Studio yet, so I didn't add it.
Now I made this part and added it to the model. New renders will come soon.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:31 AM, Touc4nx said:

The thing that bothers me on the grey box is that it appears to have a hole in it :

But to my knowledge, no parts that have a similar look already exists…
It's not a tile, as there is the rounded sides.
It's not a stack of beams, as the space between would be visible.
If it's not a new part, it's imho a stack of half beams https://rebrickable.com/parts/41677/technic-beam-1-x-2-thin/

And an other point, the set probably contains a 13L alternating beam :

The red line is 5 stud long, and the orange one 3 stud, so by symmetry, the beam is 13L (5 x 2 + 3 = 13)

I just watched a video of a youtuber, and in his pic at 1:45 you can see small gaps. It looks like these are just stacked 2 stud liftarms or 2x4 L-shaped liftarms.

Edited by Jundis