4 minutes ago, ralphie said:

This sure does look like a winner. Does the third rear axle raise up?

I think one of the black gears on the side lifts the axle.

4 manual functions (I see more that four!):

1. Steering via HOG
  2. Side outriggers deployment
  3. Rear outriggers deployment (not sure if sides and rears are synchronized)
  4. Tow crane winches (looks they can be controlled separately, otherwise it would be not so easy to keep open both ratchets at the same time)
  5. Tow crane rotation (the turntable)

3 pneumatic functions:

1. Tow crane length via the "thin" pneumatic cylinder
  2. Tow crane angle via the "thick" pneumatic cylinder
  3. Tow "arm" deployment via the "thick" pneumatic cylinder

Interesting that the pneumatic switch on the left side changes the pressure between the tow arm deployment and (it is hard to see) something that moves up and down - tow arm angle or rear outriggers.
Anyways, it is something pneumatic at the rear, so does it means the 4th cylinder?

15 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I think one of the black gears on the side lifts the axle.

I would say not the 3rd but 1st rear axle.

Added: I have double-checked the photos:

The tow arm (which holds the towed vehicle wheels) deploys (unfolds) via the pneumatic cylinder but raises via two linear actuators - they mounted with Light Bluish Gary axle with red bush at the sides.

Edited by Void_S

It's definitely the frontmost of the three rear axles that can be lifted. The sticker is clearly visible in the photo, and also there's two knobs there, one of which controls the axle lifter.

Function over form.  The rotator crane feels a bit tall.  Nice set nonetheless.  :pir-classic:

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

Tow crane winches (looks they can be controlled separately, otherwise it would be not so easy to keep open both ratchets at the same time)

Separately, def.

Kinda funny, usually ppl complain about the models to be too colorful. Here both hooks have an orange accent, while in RL the hooks of these trucks usally have different colors, to make them easily recognizable while controlling them via control panel.

I wonder if the underlift in the back is able to lift the Mack.
No matter if yes or no, I'm really impressed how many features of a RL rotator wrecker are realized in this one.

Can't wait to add this one to my garage.

4 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Function over form. 

Yeah, finally!

1 minute ago, XTN said:

I wonder if the underlift in the back is able to lift the Mack.
No matter if yes or no, I'm really impressed how many features of a RL rotator wrecker are realized in this one.

Can't wait to add this one to my garage.

Me too, Mack is quite heavy-nose so it sounds like a good challenge!

Edited by Void_S

3 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Yeah, finally!

Me too, Mack is quite heavy-nose so it sounds like a good challenge!

Cruiseliner? :wink:

Just now, XTN said:

Cruiseliner? :wink:

I mean the Anthem, but... who knows :grin:

Of the 2021 summer sets seen so far:

Tow Truck= Fan Favorite (functional)

Zetros= Kid Favorite (Play value)

CAT=Lego Favorite (Profit)

Good to see that those pneumatic switches from 42080 are back in action! I think it's using an L or XL LA on the rear outrigger. Looks kinda like a real truck, I gotta give it to the designer. Good to see https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18940&idColor=5 in blue, allows more color options and us not having to buy from a) either people who paint lego parts or b) people who sell fake lego parts. 

This set is AWESOME! Thrilled to see two of the long pneumatic cylinders and maybe a new airtank. Also it appears that we get an 11L alternating beam!! Hard to tell but there seems to be one on each side and one on the very back folding part. 

so:

steering

driving (duh)

side outriggers

axle lift

rear outriggers

wheel grabber

turntable

boom elevation

boom extension

hook 1 elevation

hook 2 elevation

--wishful thinking:--

differentials

moving piston engine

opening hood

opening cabin doors

tilting cab

suspended axle with/without shock absorbers

So all in all a revolution in terms of functions!

Very nice to have some better pictures of this set. So many functions, definitely going on the buy list! And it does all that with 49.5 mm wheels compared to the 62.4 mm wheels of older trucks.

The more I think about this, the more excited I get. So many functions!

One small oddity I noticed, there appears to be the very first of all liftarm parts, 2825 used to hold the mirrors. You don't see those parts used too commonly in Technic sets nowdays. I also counted panels, and I found at least the following:

- 2 pairs of 21/22 wedge panels in LBG and one pair in orange, 

- 2 of the small wheel arches in orange

- 6 of the 3x11 panel plates in orange and 4 in blue, maybe also in white behind the cabin but that's just a guess

- 2 of the 5x11 panel plates in white

- one pair of the 5/6 wedge panels in white

- one 11x3 curved panel in white

And then there's of course the mystery part below the cabin door and the numerous pneumatic parts we're getting.

All in all, this set seems to be also a great parts pack, in addition to the build and play value.

Could the strange square part be a pneumatic tank ?
This would makes sense to me, knowing that the truck as a lot of pneumatic function, but no motorized pump.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

One small oddity I noticed, there appears to be the very first of all liftarm parts, 2825 used to hold the mirrors. You don't see those parts used too commonly in Technic sets nowdays.

Maybe not in copious amounts, but they do pop up all the time! They appeared in Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Bucket Wheel Excavator, Lamborghini Sian, 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler, Dom's Dodge Charger, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1... to name just a few notable, recent sets.

Edited by astyanax

34 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

Could the strange square part be a pneumatic tank ?
This would makes sense to me, knowing that the truck as a lot of pneumatic function, but no motorized pump.

Then it would have to be rather deep, no?

The first back axle does not have the same type of axle in the wheel so it's probably not connected to a dif. It's definitely possible to lift the axle as it sits a tad higher than the other two. hope the other wheels are diff'ed and connected to a proper engine

There shoudle have been a half pin with a trans-yellow/orange round 1x1 plate on the front fender and more on the orange panels on the side. These type of american trucks seem to be a right lightshow :classic: The top lightbar also looks a bit small

Nice model for sure :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, 1974 said:

There shoudle have been a half pin with a trans-yellow/orange round 1x1 plate on the front fender and more on the orange panels on the side. These type of american trucks seem to be a right lightshow :classic: The top lightbar also looks a bit small

Oh, yeah! It must have thousand of trans orange 1x1 plates or tiles. Likely, there is a ton of pinholes where we can add them!
I imagine how many sellers at Alibaba and EBay markets will appear with LED lightning kits :head_back:

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

The more I think about this, the more excited I get. So many functions!

One small oddity I noticed, there appears to be the very first of all liftarm parts, 2825 used to hold the mirrors. You don't see those parts used too commonly in Technic sets nowdays. I also counted panels, and I found at least the following:

- 2 pairs of 21/22 wedge panels in LBG and one pair in orange, 

- 2 of the small wheel arches in orange

- 6 of the 3x11 panel plates in orange and 4 in blue, maybe also in white behind the cabin but that's just a guess

- 2 of the 5x11 panel plates in white

- one pair of the 5/6 wedge panels in white

- one 11x3 curved panel in white

And then there's of course the mystery part below the cabin door and the numerous pneumatic parts we're getting.

All in all, this set seems to be also a great parts pack, in addition to the build and play value.

I think there are some black or DBG panels also to cover the platform on the sides of the crane.

9 minutes ago, 1974 said:

The first back axle does not have the same type of axle in the wheel so it's probably not connected to a dif. It's definitely possible to lift the axle as it sits a tad higher than the other two. hope the other wheels are diff'ed and connected to a proper engine

The hood doesn't look like it's openable, but I hope Lego has some clever solution to open the hood...

As for the liftaxle, one knob on the side controls it, as seen on the sticker.

Yes, I've seen the sticker. Just trying to add a bit more info/speculation

Didn't look closely at the hood, but I don't see any reason for NOT putting in two diffs, a drivetrain and a mighty V8. should be room enough, no?

13 minutes ago, 1974 said:

That's my guess too, and making a lifting axle that's connected to drivetrain while on the ground and not connected when not would be pretty challenging too. Also, I don't think lifting axles on real trucks are driven either so my guess is that here we have similar build, two driven axles and a third lifting one. I can't think of a Technic truck in this scale which didn't have a drivetrain and fake engine, so that's what I'm expecting here too.

2 minutes ago, Rebel_Lego said:

As for the liftaxle, one knob on the side controls it, as seen on the sticker.

And following to its position it is directly connected to the mini Linear Actuator which should lift the axle. I don't know how it is made here but mini just perfectly fits here.

They are mostly driven, some two axle trucks have that lift option as well