Dorino

[MOC] 6274 - Caribbean Clipper - Reimagined

blogged.png

Hello everyone!

Today i present you my very first ship. It's is not an original design but heavily modified version of our beloved 6274 Caribbean Clipper

I managed to buy big bulk of old Lego that included 6285 Black Seas Barracuda but all the sails and most of the masts were missing and since i already own 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay  i decided to build the other ship from 1989

PXL_20210105_143330315

The first step was to acquire sails, i bought the replacement ones from ebay, because original ones were either in terrible condition or too pricey.

My favorite part about original ship is its "forward" style of sails, i obviously kept it untouched but i added second rigging piece.

PXL_20210105_142829002

I also wanted to add main deck, but then the ship was getting too bulky so i just left it opened, like original one. Just like in almost all of my creations i had to include some kind of crane.

PXL_20210105_141855769

I am most proud of the stern of the ship, i didn't have enough blue pieces to keep the original scheme but i think yellow and black with some brown looks just as good.

PXL_20210105_142916755

One more view from the top

PXL_20210105_143010872

I hope you like it :) Hopefully my next ship won't be based on anything but for now i am happy with it. 

Few more pictures in my Flickr gallery

Edited by Marooned Marin
Blogged on the Classic-Pirates.com

Yes, i tried but then it all goes downhill.

Once i added another section it looked ridiculous with that forward sails. Then i thought, what if i buy another sails? Then it would turn into another Barracuda but with different colors.

It does look fat, but i am planning to display it next to 21322 and i don't want them to look too similar.

Edited by Dorino

I agree w/ Brickander that it looks fat, but it also looks good! Cool small ship! I love the stern contours and the last picture looks awesome like a small merchant vessel.

Bonus, i didn't like how with black and yellow it looked too similar to 21322 so i swapped all the yellows with whites. At this moment i don't like any of these colors, Thoughts?

PXL_20210106_194806444

PXL_20210106_194813894

Leave the yellow pieces as is, make cannon covers blue, add some blue at the stern, change stairs is middle from white to black or brown, add a white stripe to the sides of the ship as in the original Caribbean Clipper.

Just my 2 cents.

That's a good re interpretation of this old classic ! Nice !

I'd like to see it with more length but I can understand you to keep strait to the original model.

I think black and yellow are better as it's respecting more the original ship; perhaps adding some blue and gold accents on the stern would help

All in all a good build ! :thumbup:

I would keep the upper railings yellow but try introducing some blue lower down (perhaps as stripes?).

I understand your liking of the forward sails arrangement but I do think that the rear mast needs some sort of sail as otherwise it is just dead weight that slows the ship down due to increased drag and weight.  Since LEGO doesn't officially make a blue and white striped fore-and-aft sail like the spanker sail of 21322, I found the next best arrangement is to get another jib sail (like the one at the front) and make a lateen rig as on the mizzen mast of 6280 (note that this sail is incorrectly oriented backwards on 6280's front box art but is correct in catalog images).

A spanker and colors (large imperial flag) on the back might look good.  And as mentioned, swap the gray cannon covers for blue.  You could extend it by a single 16 stud hull segment to fix the "fat" look.  I dislike the stairs, but like almost everything else about this -- great work!

I actually really like the tightness of the ship-it looks very Lego-y, but as @iragm said, those stairs look...meh. This is a situation where a ladder might really be the best option.