johnnym

[TC19] GENESIS Renegade - finished

Well, actually this contest comes much too early for me, as I wanted to dive into motorcycle building in a few weeks or months or so earliest :sceptic:. So far I only built the 8051 B model (:wub: which actually sparked that bike building idea in me) and the 42036 A model but am otherwise totally unexperienced in bike building. But I couldn't let go and so yesterday started something which should be a bike extraordinaire (even for the future!), the 2055 GENESIS Renegade.

There's no engine yet, and there's also no suspension yet. But maybe I can come up with something similar to the one used at the front of the 8051 B model. I imagine a hardtail for this bike, so most likely no suspension at the rear. And as this bike should fit in my Turbo Racers vs. Police Interceptor series it of course should feature a turbine as engine and most likely shaft drive. Please check the bricksafe folder for high-res pictures.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Not sure if this is going anywhere from here, but there's still some time left, so we'll see. What do you think, should this bike be continued?

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I like the future chopper look of this. Keep it up, I am interested to see what you can do with this.

Thanks, Thirdwigg! Already made some progress: the shaft drive is in, as is a "prototype" GENESIS Vortex 500 micro-turbine and it's still good-looking - in my eyes. :laugh: New pictures maybe tomorrow...

Next step: the torque transformer, the magical device that "connects"  the turbine shaft to the drive shaft.

Ok, the "torque transformer" is ready and the turbine is now connected to the drive shaft. I created new pictures showing the changes. The bike hence got a little lower in the middle and I now use smaller side panels at the rear to reveal the rear wheel - I think it looks better that way.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

The turbine is not finalzed yet in regard to color and rims used. I will change to the newer rims but first have to precure some. And it might get a little shorter on the way, too. From the rear wheel to the turbine shaft it's 20z => 12z, then 16z =[chain]=> 16z and last 36z => 12z. There is some considerable noise and also some resistance in the drive train - I assume partly due to the up-gearing and partly due to the chain.

What's your opinion on that?

And as the chain elements used are most likely from pre-2000 sets, do newer chain elements run maybe smoother?

Here some detail pictures:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

...and the turbine itself (still w/o attachments, tubes, etc.):

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Again, high-res pictures available in the corresponding bricksafe folder.

Thank you  @MajklSpajkl! About that liftarm: I needed something with axle hole and two pin holes at one end though it's not strictly neccessary I think. But actually I like how it "copies" the lines of the middle section over the turbine inlet. With some added panels it might become a mudguard perhaps. And if I let my eyes blur my vision a little, I can see a creature head and the liftarm hanging out being its lower jaw. :wink:

9 hours ago, johnnym said:

And as the chain elements used are most likely from pre-2000 sets, do newer chain elements run maybe smoother? 

Could now answer that myself: Using the chain elements of 42036 instead makes a day and night difference. The mechanism now works considerably smoother and the bike can run several meters without stopping when pushed. I wouldn't have expected that, as the elements look nearly identical even when viewed with a magnifying glass.

The turbine looks awesome, and I wonder whether I will be able to say how good it is, when you add all tubes and attachments... Keep up good work! 

I like the turbine on its own, but I must say it does look kinda dumb the way the turbine is blasting straight at the rear tire... I think even tires in the future will catch fire when blasted with the backburner of a massive turbine :grin:

Maybe I am thinking too complicated here, but I would like it better if the turbine had an outlet on both sides of the tire instead. That way the tire would not get damaged and by adding flaps on the outlet the bike could even control if it should lean left or right :wink:

12 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

The turbine looks awesome, and I wonder whether I will be able to say how good it is, when you add all tubes and attachments... Keep up good work! 

Thanks! Well I either have to do some research about how their tubing could look in reality (I think I remember having pictures of the engine of the Gloster Meteor or its predecessor) or I let myself guide by what is possible in the available space.

11 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like the turbine on its own, but I must say it does look kinda dumb the way the turbine is blasting straight at the rear tire... I think even tires in the future will catch fire when blasted with the backburner of a massive turbine :grin:

Thank you and hey, it's not a bug it's a feature! Just imagine, everyone could have a bike with burning tyres like Ghost Rider! :laugh:

11 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Maybe I am thinking too complicated here, but I would like it better if the turbine had an outlet on both sides of the tire instead. That way the tire would not get damaged and by adding flaps on the outlet the bike could even control if it should lean left or right :wink:

Actually I imagine the exhaust being funnelled to the outside between the rear fender and the extension of the seat (i.e. where the rear light is attached), although it's not fully constructed in that way now - not sure if I can implement that - there is a visible distance between those parts. I think that could also work in reality. Though I have to say, that leaning with turbine exhaust support is intriguing. :classic:

I suggest you have a look at how helicopters funnel exhaust away from their engines. This would probably be the closest thing from reality you could use as a guide.

You could also have a look at this Swedish jet powered snowmobile, and how that transfers power to the belt to get some good ideas for a power transfer method from jet to turning wheels.

This uses a helicopter jet engine to drive the belt directly through a torque converter from a large front loader, and not the jet exhaust for pushing power as most other examples. 

It was built back in 1992 by a team of mechanics from Kiruna Sweeden. They got an crazy idea and asked several Helicopter companies for a used engine they could test with. Most just laughed of them and said it would be impossible to transfer the power, but one company let them have a old engine that was no longer flight worthy. After they proved they could make it work, but having trouble with the unstable engine they had gotten, the Helicopter company that had donated the the old engine gave them a "brand new" one and even sent them a jet mechanic the help them get i working. It ended up in an amazing speed record for belt driven snowmobiles more than 320 km/h (200 mph). In an interview I read a long time ago the driver said the snowmobile probably could go faster but he didn't dare push it any further... Quite an inspiring build. Unfortunately I'm not able to find the interview again, and I have a hard time digging up any additional information. I believe the interview was in a Norwegian engineering magazine (paper, not online), but can't remember the name. It had good amount of information and pictures from the build though...

Some facts posted under the video:

Jetpower is built on a 1992 chassis from V-MAX Yamaha where the staff re-assembled the engine, fuel tank, control system, and instrument panel. We founded the name JET because we have installed a jet turbine engine from a helicopter.
The engine is an Allison C 20 and performs at approximately 400-450 hp depending on temperature of the engine which can vary between 700 - 800 Celsius (1292 - 1472 F).
Fuel and oil tanks are built together in 3 sections where fuel volume is 21 litter (5.54 gal), hydraulic oil 42 litters (11.1 gal) and engine oil 4.3 litters (1.13 gal).
The power from the engine and hydraulic system controls together from a thumb handle which is on the original location of the snowmobile, through three regulators which is calculated between the different functions fuel control, governor and hydrovalve.
The instrument panel exposes with an amp meter for turbine wheel N1-N2, temperature meter, engines temperature and hydraulic-pressure which can reach pressures of 500 bar.
To handle all strains on a very high power level and high speed It claims very high quality on material and oils.
Technical data:
Chassis: Yamaha V-MAX 1992
Engine: Allison C20
Hydraulic pump: Classified
Hydraulic engine: Classified
Hydraulic- comp: Hydrous cand
Oil engine: SHELL turbine 520
Hydraulic oil: SHELL dextrin special
Batteries: OPTIMA red 2 x 12 Volts.
Total time working on this Jetpower project is approximately 1500 hours

_ED_

Edited by Nazgarot
Added more info in spoiler

Really cool propulsion design. :thumbup:   I kind of wish i'd had the same idea (powered by a turbine) too.  Love that you can lift up the fairings as well, to see the detail beneath. 

19 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

I suggest you have a look at how helicopters funnel exhaust away from their engines. This would probably be the closest thing from reality you could use as a guide.

Thanks for the hint, but I don't want to make it too realistic, in the end it's still science fiction. :wink: I think I'm set with the exhaust going out between the rear fender and and the attachment to the seat above. I imagine something like what the F-117 has for its exhausts but rounded (around the fender) and the exhaust being cooled down that way, too.

19 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

You could also have a look at this Swedish jet powered snowmobile, and how that transfers power to the belt to get some good ideas for a power transfer method from jet to turning wheels.

This uses a helicopter jet engine to drive the belt directly through a torque converter from a large front loader, and not the jet exhaust for pushing power as most other examples. 

That's a cool snowmobile! The setup sounds similar to the one I use in the Renegade, though I use shaft drive instead of a belt (or chain for the bike below).

A friend pointed me to the turbine driven bikes from MTT:

So these are existing - insane! :devil:

1 hour ago, Dazzzy said:

Really cool propulsion design. :thumbup:   I kind of wish i'd had the same idea (powered by a turbine) too.

Thank you! Hey, nothing prevents you from using a turbine, too. Most of the other bikes in that contest use similar but more common cumbustion engines, too.

1 hour ago, Dazzzy said:

Love that you can lift up the fairings as well, to see the detail beneath. 

It just came with the way they're attached. But could be made a feature, what? :wink:

Thanks man! I may end up doing that, though to be honest, i'm really undecided at the moment. Was considering doing a flat or inline configuration to begin with, but i just can't make up my mind at this point.  And yes, the by-product of the way the fairings are attached, i think you should definitely make a feature. :thumbup: 

Closing in on the finish line - here's what changed since last post:

I added a suspension to the front and exchanged the bend liftarms against two 4L half beams each - not sure if it looks better or not.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

The Vortex 500 got its attachments and tubing.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

I also did a color cleanup, the (swing)arms are now LBG, so is the handle bar - not sure if I'll keep the latter, though. The seat area got some LBG stripes, and the sides got some white highlights.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I also shortly had a centered headlight but didn't like the result and came back to the existing ones.

800x600.jpg

And I closed the rear wheel up against the turbine exhaust, which now exits between rear fender and the seat extension as planned.

800x600.jpg

More high-res pictures on my corresponding bricksafe folder.

Hope you like it!

Great job. I liked how the turbine turned out, and the front fork looks pretty good.

Also, I like the decision to keep the side lights on the front rather than a single center light. 

4 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job. I liked how the turbine turned out, and the front fork looks pretty good.

Also, I like the decision to keep the side lights on the front rather than a single center light. 

Thanks, glad you like it! :classic:

Those old type panels look really good on this bike.

What part is used for rear light? Never have seen that.

8 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Those old type panels look really good on this bike.

What part is used for rear light? Never have seen that.

Thanks! That rear light part was a chance find at a Bricklink seller some time ago, it's a curved slope 4 x 1 with two studs and I actually bought it for my Turbo Racers series cars. I initially only got one trans-red one, but for the bike this was sufficient. :classic:

Indeed those new panels look very futuristic! I like the whole shape of the bike and the side line is wonderfull. I really love the two panels above the rear tyre. Well done.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, syphoon said:

I'm sold! This is great looking futuristic bike and the old panels look amazing. 

23 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Indeed those new panels look very futuristic! I like the whole shape of the bike and the side line is wonderfull. I really love the two panels above the rear tyre. Well done.

@syphoon, @MajklSpajkl: Thank you guys! Glad you like it and - you guessed it - I'm also a big fan of the older panels, i.e. check my turbo cars at Rebrickable, most of them use one or another of the old panels somewhere. I think their shaping is advantageous compared to the newer panels, especially in small models!

And indeed @MajklSpajkl when I fitted those two panels above the rear wheel I was like "wow, these must have been made just for this purpose!" :grin: