For TC19 I really wanted to do a motorcycle with an extended swing arm, I really like the aesthetic:

eO3soSR_m2xkp0IaJ0-lCFVVKzNoLBoi9qrev6N3

Here's what progress I made in LDD. I want the motorcycle to be as narrow and slim as possible, hence the V6 is positioned longitudinally.

800x425.jpg

And in real life. Because the elagonated swing arm produces higher forces, it's held in place by two small turntables, which eliminates friction on the secondary driveshaft.

800x369.jpg

Notice something odd about the transmission? Originally i wanted to use a 4 speed gearbox, but since so many people did it already, I decided to use something different.

800x600.jpg

I came up with a fully working CVT gearbox which uses two 2x2 cones and a rubber band to seamlessly change gear ratios between 1:2 and 2:1.

800x600.jpg

The following GIF shows how the shifting lever moves the rubber band sideways using a simple linkage with the drivline powered

Shifting.gif

Edited by Zerobricks

I like the bike's overall look. The CVT is cool, even though I dislike the use of Rubber Bands in drivelines. I think Sariel made a bigger CVT like this a while ago.

Edited by Gray Gear

I like that idea with turntables.

But the other end of swingarms looks pretty weak.

This kind of CVTs I have seen already, but I like jere that improvement with shifted conususes, so that rubber better fits on them.

This is great! I remember my dad building a version of that out of Lego when I was a kid to show me how the transmission in Daf cars worked.

That is very aesthetically pleasing. :drool:  Easily another one of my favourites so far. :thumbup:

Looks interesting! It would be the first instance I have ever seen of a rubber-band CVT being used in an actual model, rather than as a proof-of-concept!

I managed to finish the motorcycle over the weekend.

In the end I opted for a mostly orange and black combination with a gray swing arm.

800x600.jpg

I think it looks quite sick, especially that thick rear wheel:

800x600.jpg

The panels over the V6 engine can be opened to reveal it in it's full glory:

800x600.jpg

And i took extra care in putting some detailed gauges and details such as winglets in the front:

800x600.jpg

The bottom is made flat with lots of small panels used for aerodynamics along with a mother of all diffusers in the rear section:

800x600.jpg

Compared to the 42107 it's much thinner (average width of 9 studs), longer (44 cm) and uses more pieces, around 770.

I will post a video with even more detailed photos soon.

I like it a lot, except the front looks a bit too bulky and high over the steering bar for me. The rear end behind the seat looks realy nice and the CVT - oh yeah :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

At last the time has to to post the final photos and video of the model.

A friend gave me a lovely photography tip which I just had to try and here are the results:

800x450.jpg

Who would have though a simple black background and some Christmas lights could give such impressive results:

800x450.jpg

And finally I made a video with audio commentary to highlight all the features and functions:

Edited by Zerobricks