tvdv

Can you retro fit new Power-Up on old (12v) Lego 723 ?set

Hi, I still have all my lego 12v train sets from the 70's, including transformer, rails etc. One of the locomotives I have is the Lego 723/

The engine still works but I'm a bit scared using the (740) 12v transformer - still works but since it's 50 years old not sure if it's safe.

I was wondering if I could retro fit it on the new train (75motor (88011). I can't really figure out the dimensions from online info from the 88011 compared to my old 12v motor in my Lego 723.

Does anyone know how many studs the middle section is - and where exactly the axes go compared to the 12v motor?

Thanks

723: Diesel Locomotive | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

Edited by tvdv
better topic

It looks like Powered Up motor is 2 studs shorter than the original, so it should fit ok, you might need to modify the wheel locations a bit thought. 
I have several 12v transforms that are approaching 40 years old and wok fine, though that is no guarantee for yours. You can also connect a regular model train controller to the Lego tracks, just make sure the output is 12v dc. 

5 hours ago, tvdv said:

I was wondering if I could retro fit it on the new train (75motor (88011). I can't really figure out the dimensions from online info from the 88011 compared to my old 12v motor in my Lego 723.

It doesn't look like there is any room in the engine to put the battery box/hub. So you would need to add a battery tender similar to the 4.5v trains or enlarge the locomotive to make room for the box.

Hi, and welcome!

An old transformer is normally built in a good way - so it's pretty solid. You can check eventually its output with a multimeter.

I tried this thing and it worked for me: I bought a DC 220v to 12v Power supply (a good quality one used for Home Alarms) - and use it on a 9v Lego Controller with a modified 9v-->12v Lego cable. It works fine and it's quite inexpensive.

I think I saw this solution here in Eurobricks some years ago. :wub:

For the transformation of the old model to PuP...well I'd not touch too much the locomotive and use a separate "battery box" wagon. You could build a replica of the original 1134 battery box wagon of the time with some old parts, in these "flavours":

• black baseplate, red body, blue top, red wheels (best fit in my opinion to the 723) :thumbup:
  • black baseplate, blue body, gray top, red wheels (a bit more modern style from 7720)

For the motor you could consider 2 choices:

• PuP motor with modern train red wheels
  • Old 12v motor working with PuP battery box at a lower voltage (but you will need to modify a PuP cable and it could be a mess)

A third possibility could be a bit "tricky" (but aesthetically PERFECT:wub_drool:) - to fit old wheels into the PuP motor - but I'm still studying how to do it  :wink: - I'll keep you updated!

Ciao!!!

Davide