BakerBricks

[MOC] 501st Legion BTL-B Y-Wing Starfighter

Hi everyone, this is my first MOC design, a minifig scale UCS style 501st Legion BTL-B Y-Wing Starfighter. The inspiration came after watching the final season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It was awesome to finally see the BTL-B Y-Wing in 501st colours and I knew instantly I wanted a minifig scale version to go with my other Star Wars minifig scale ships.

I've been slowly chipping away at this over the last few months, and I’ve spent a lot of time finessing the shape, proportions, colouring and details to make this design as accurate as possible. I think I have found a good balance of aesthetics, ease of construction and strength, as the design is very robust and "swooshable" for a model this big. It is approximately 1800-2000 pieces (need to update the Studio model before I know for sure), 61cm long, 28cm wide and 9cm high.

To keep the proportions and look of the BTL-B Y-Wing correct, the cockpit is built with removable seats to allow minifigs to be placed for display if desired, and I opted to only allow the head of an astromech droid to be added for the same reason. I've made sure to add all of the weapon detailing, including an opening bomb bay with proton bombs, and have also added folding landing gear.

I’m finishing off the instructions now and should hopefully have them done in a few weeks. I'll post the link on here once they are complete. 

Thanks for looking! I hope you like the design and happy to hear any feedback :)

50778249372_e0b1225cf3_c.jpg

50777379738_acb09cb5cb_c.jpg

50777380343_7c7c32643b_c.jpg

50778251112_2abd7d52de_c.jpg

50777381253_d55828d747_c.jpg

50777381808_8357a0761e_c.jpg

50777386098_30fb373b3b_c.jpg

50778257277_6db0d5f40c_c.jpg

Edited by BakerBricks
Update description

Sweet - works well in the blue and white colour scheme - we can't have too many Y-wings!. 

Excellent shaping on the body and I especially like the rear engine nacelle detailing - great job.

Might make me want to do some more plates in place of studs on my red one.  Now we just need a yellow one for the set.

This looks great! Stellar MOC, nevermind it being your first.

The topic of scale is interesting since, in cannon, the Rebel Y-Wings are just salvaged Republic Y-Wings. On one hand, this looks comparable to the UCS Original Trilogy Y-Wing (same slope pieces to cap the front of the "engine canisters") but that said is said to be way bigger than minifigure scale. On the other hand, looking at the source material, you could definitely make the argument that this is close - closer than a recolor/upgrade of the previous yellow Anankin's Y-Wing set, at least.

I'd love to see some pictures with minifigures!

looks great, still trying to figure out the structure for mine lol