Sign in to follow this  

This is another MOC from last summer that I am just getting around to posting now. Soon I will be caught up!

I had previously built many small cars at tiny scale, usually powered by two PF L-motors to give good performance. When I finally got an RC Buggy motor (admittedly, a cheap Chinese one...), I was excited to see what it could do in such a small, light car. Although the real GTI is absolutely front-wheel-drive in real life, it would have been nearly impossible to model it, so it has traditional RWD with the buggy motor geared up a bit to counter the slow speed of the tiny tires, while a PF Servo steered. The hood could also open. I put a fair bit of effort into the aesthetic, and was pleased with it, but it ended up being heavier than desired, so performance, while good, was not astonishing. Worst of all, I seemingly forgot all about taking pictures, so all I can show you is my YouTube video:

By the way, there is a rear roof on the car, although my YouTube thumbnail shows it with most of the roof removed (I was having major problems with IR reception in the sunlight)

The buggy motor worked well, and I may have another shot at tiny buggy-motor powered cars, but perhaps with somewhat lighter bodywork. Of course, that may need to wait until summer, since gyms are shut down and snow covers outdoor areas...

I'm honestly surprised at the performance of the IR receiver here. Mine seemed to cut off almost immediately with the RC motor from a 9v power supply, maybe the lower li-po voltage helped?

Fun little hot-hatch, might do one myself as well on 30'4 wheels:thumbup:

Edited by syclone

22 hours ago, syclone said:

I'm honestly surprised at the performance of the IR receiver here. Mine seemed to cut off almost immediately with the RC motor from a 9v power supply, maybe the lower li-po voltage helped?

Perhaps the fact that it was a knock-off buggy motor had an affect?

22 hours ago, syclone said:

Fun little hot-hatch, might do one myself as well on 30'4 wheels:thumbup:

I think tiny cars like that are the most fun option for performance cars with Lego motors!