Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

8 minutes ago, karrit said:

So you think he should have been fired for aging gracefully?  I much prefer to see actors grow up naturally in their roles over being replaced because they no longer fit a pre-conceived image of how they should look.  Females shouldn't be fired for gaining too much weight and no longer fitting the lollipop look directors unreasonably expect them to maintain.  Likewise males shouldn't be fired for growing too quickly or too slowly or gaining or not gaining enough weight.

Guess you never read the books.

I wish the LEGO sets were based on the books rather than the movies. I really think tying everything Harry Potter to the movies that will slowly age cheapens and shortens the lifespan of the series. It would be so freaking cool to see new interpretations

1 minute ago, Modal said:

I wish the LEGO sets were based on the books rather than the movies. I really think tying everything Harry Potter to the movies that will slowly age cheapens and shortens the lifespan of the series. It would be so freaking cool to see new interpretations

The first film will hold up as a classic for decades, the second and third potentially will to a lesser degree. The rest adopted modern film-making techniques and cheaped-out on several aspects, which will age them. I love them, but they aren't masterpieces and nor are they classics. JK needs to greenlight an animated TV series based on the books.

I don't mind that the Lego sets are based on the movies, but seeing them use the Neville actor just annoyed me. He was completely wrong for the role.

12 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I read the books.  I can't really remember how he was described as it's been about a year since I re-read them.  Unfortunately movie adaptations rarely stick to the exact details of every character as they are described in the books they are based on, that's just the way it is in the movie making business.  I think we are lucky that all 8 movies kept most of the actors that were originally cast in the first one.  There have been many adaptations over the years that veered way off course from the author's book series.  Game of Thrones and in America, John Jake's North & South trilogy being two glaring examples.  Even the later Harry Potter movie adaptations left a lot out and created different characters.

44 minutes ago, Modal said:

How are they supposed to make sets based on a non-visual medium? Just make everything up? Yes, nothing easier than creating designs out of thin air based on an existing IP that are still supposed to please every stakeholder involved :tongue: With film-based sets, at least everybody is adhering to the same frame of reference

Slightly off topic, but can someone who has the Hogwarts Icons set send a picture of it next to Diagon Alley and perhaps some other sets. I'm trying to figure out size comparisons with some of the other main sets from the line for display (as well as what it looks especially nice next to). 

1 hour ago, BrickFunatic said:

There are far worse examples of book-ignorance in the movies. Half Blood Prince for example was a decent movie but an abysmal adaptation, which really sucks considering it was hands down the best of the books. 

18 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

There are far worse examples of book-ignorance in the movies. Half Blood Prince for example was a decent movie but an abysmal adaptation, which really sucks considering it was hands down the best of the books. 

I disagree. HbP is my 2nd fave book and 2nd fave film. They're both amazing in different ways. Things don't have to be identical. Hermione looks and acts a bit different in the films. But Neville is just completely unlikeable from movie 4 onwards, and his change of appearance actually changes his character. 

45 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

How are they supposed to make sets based on a non-visual medium? Just make everything up? Yes, nothing easier than creating designs out of thin air based on an existing IP that are still supposed to please every stakeholder involved :tongue: With film-based sets, at least everybody is adhering to the same frame of reference

Uh yea, how do you think the movies were made? Lol

I’m not saying it would be easy, I’m saying it would be dope, and creatively more freeing. I’m not really looking forward to the same style sets and mini figures over and over

16 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

I hate when Lego sends Lego sets to celebrities and public figures. Send them to needy children or your customers who spend thousands each year.

And that man who played Neville looks like an old vagrant now. He was never right for the character after CoS, he should have been replaced from PoA onwards because he lost weight/grew too much.

LEGO does send sets to children in need, and they're one of the best companies in giving benefits to loyal customers. I thought this video was adorable, just as the one the Weasley twin actors did for Diagon Alley. Matthew Lewis looks handsome as ever, and I hope LEGO keeps doing promotional videos like these! 

Edited by evanevanevan

37 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

There are far worse examples of book-ignorance in the movies. Half Blood Prince for example was a decent movie but an abysmal adaptation, which really sucks considering it was hands down the best of the books

I still can't get past some of what was left out or rearranged. Specifically thinking Prisoner of Azkaban. Descriptions of characters are least of it. I mean, she clearly described ALL characters rather oddly and other than perhaps Harry Potter, Ron, Hermione, Malfoy Snape - the lot of them were not exact copies from the book. 

1 hour ago, evanevanevan said:

An old vagrant? :laugh_hard: This might be your weirdest take yet. LEGO does send sets to needy children, and they're one of the best companies in giving benefits to loyal customers. I thought this video was adorable, just as the one the Weasley twin actors did for Diagon Alley. Matthew Lewis looks handsome as ever, and I hope LEGO keeps doing promotional videos like these! 

Right? Half-tempted to post his famous modelling shoot wearing very little, in response to the daft vagrant comments…

13 minutes ago, williejm said:

Right? Half-tempted to post his famous modelling shoot wearing very little, in response to the daft vagrant comments…

He looks even more like an old vagrant on that underwear photo where he is sitting on a chair if that's what you mean. He needs a good meal and a wash.

Really? Matt Lewis was a great movie Neville and definitely won puberty by a landslide. No idea why you feel the need to express such a negative opinion.

Yes, I have read the books and seen the movies. They are unsurprisingly not the same.

Hey folks, let's keep the discussion on topic of LEGO sets not your feelings about actors or book vs. movie.   Thank you all.

Goodness this thread is insufferable sometimes. News comes out that the "big thing" at year's end for the 20th Anniversary is just a contest, I come on here anticipating some good discussion, and the thread devolves into some ridiculous tangents about the HP books and a HP actor, neither of which have anything to do with LEGO. Is anyone as frustrated over the "big thing" being a contest that will likely award someone a bunch of HP sets they probably already have at this point, limiting the "big thing" to maybe 1-3 people? No new set? No new video game? Where is the ire, people?!

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Is anyone as frustrated over the "big thing" being a contest […]

Not really. A set appearing out of nowhere was ruled out from the get-go and while a new game would have been neat, it’s not really necessary :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Goodness this thread is insufferable sometimes. News comes out that the "big thing" at year's end for the 20th Anniversary is just a contest, I come on here anticipating some good discussion, and the thread devolves into some ridiculous tangents about the HP books and a HP actor, neither of which have anything to do with LEGO. Is anyone as frustrated over the "big thing" being a contest that will likely award someone a bunch of HP sets they probably already have at this point, limiting the "big thing" to maybe 1-3 people? No new set? No new video game? Where is the ire, people?!

Consider me ired! 

Honestly I am a bit annoyed about the news being a contest. Like, who actually cares?

I can only suspect they are keeping Gringotts in the vault (heh) knowing how powerful of an impact it will have. I bet they know they will need it when sales dwindle.

I am expecting a vault layer (Potter/Philosophers Stone/Weasley/Lestrange), a cart track, a main floor and the Ironbelly. Yes my expectations get more unrealistic with each passing day!!!!!!

I never suspected a new video game as Skywalker Saga isnt ojt yet, but it could be on the cards if the execs decide to remake games on their IPs if that game does well? I heard a rumour that they are making a proper MCU focused game too, so it could be real (or it could all be down to Disney milking their franchises tbh)

Edited by drewdotexe

The Gringotts set definitely creates a bit of a challenge for designers. Obviously one will want it to line up nicely with Diagon Alley, but you can't have the perfect Gringotts without an underground. I could see it being two sets perhaps? First a general first year set that will pair well with DA, then an Escape from Gringotts interior-only set with tracks and an Ironbelly. Or maybe we can get lucky and get both in one with a nice interior side build! What would everyone prefer?

I'm excited for the insane MOC someone will inevitably do by raising all of Diagon Alley and Gringotts and having a complex underground track below! 

Edited by evanevanevan

41 minutes ago, evanevanevan said:

The Gringotts set definitely creates a bit of a challenge for designers. Obviously one will want it to line up nicely with Diagon Alley, but you can't have the perfect Gringotts without an underground. I could see it being two sets perhaps? First a general first year set that will pair well with DA, then an Escape from Gringotts interior-only set with tracks and an Ironbelly. Or maybe we can get lucky and get both in one with a nice interior side build! What would everyone prefer?

It really is tricky. Even though the Diagon Alley set was out of my budget I was still annoyed it didn't have Gringotts in it considering it might be the most iconic building in DA.

I think for a set we might get the main interior with high ceilings and a chandelier in the middle. Then maybe a little bit of track that runs from the top of the build to the bottom, a little like the Joker's mansion but only on the interior.

Then you can have a side build of Bellatrix's vault with some play functions to release gold studs to look like the gemini curse, maybe one bit have have a rising platform all made of gold and silver parts.

50 minutes ago, evanevanevan said:

I'm excited for the insane MOC someone will inevitably do by raising all of Diagon Alley and Gringotts and having a complex underground track below! 

Considering Gringotts is supposed to go next to the rest of Diagon Alley an underground section wouldn't hold much value so for me the perfect Gringotts would be a ~$250 set based on the later films with the Ironbelly perched on top of the roof like in Universal Studios.

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

It really is tricky. Even though the Diagon Alley set was out of my budget I was still annoyed it didn't have Gringotts in it considering it might be the most iconic building in DA.

I think for a set we might get the main interior with high ceilings and a chandelier in the middle. Then maybe a little bit of track that runs from the top of the build to the bottom, a little like the Joker's mansion but only on the interior.

Then you can have a side build of Bellatrix's vault with some play functions to release gold studs to look like the gemini curse, maybe one bit have have a rising platform all made of gold and silver parts.

I still don't have Gringotts (also budget, exacerbated by an abiding hatred of pink which would need replacing; but who knows, some day maybe), but in many ways it was a bit of a relief the DA set didn't contain the bank as it was almost sure to come eventually, whereas the stores we got weren't. (Also, we have a number of talented people floating around here who've made more stores, and I love the way they're expanding the street.)

I'm hoping for two or even three sets. The above ground bank, the vaults, the Horcrux scene, the dragon, the track... There's a bit of mixing and matching that can take place, some of those things I really want, and some of those things I haven't the space for and would prefer to spend the money on something else. And I'd also really like to some day have some small official Horcrux builds, I'd love Bellatrix' vault and Geminio curse, the Slytherin locket in the Forest of Dean with Snape's patronus, the frozen lake and the boys, the Room of Hidden things and the Diadem... So I'm really hoping Bellatrix' vault won't ultimately be part of some extremely expensive set, but remain more affordable. 

20 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

At this point, they just should award  @RichardGoring and @Textorix the winners...These are absolutely stunning!

Awww thx man but no chance for me lol. My model is just offcial sets combined in a custom way, the only thing I have built is rock base, viaduct and wooden bridge. But Gringotts creator definetely deserves it and I could name like dozens of great Lego HP moc builders who would deserve it too but tbh we all would be much happier if there was no contest and Lego would just give us what we want - D2C Gringotts set :D

9 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Is anyone as frustrated over the "big thing" being a contest that will likely award someone a bunch of HP sets they probably already have at this point, limiting the "big thing" to maybe 1-3 people? No new set? No new video game? Where is the ire, people?!

Yeah it is frustrating but I gues we kinda got used to this