Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Speaking of things on shelves around the world, the Chess set is available only at the S@H here in Germany (and ebay) and Fawkes is hardly more available. How are those two sets doing in other countries?

The chess set was a Lego shop exclusive for the UK at first, but it has now become available, in I think about the last month, as an exclusive at the department chain John Lewis. Fawkes has always been available at the Lego shop and exclusive to Argos in the UK since release. Since the supermarket Sainsburys and Argos are the same company, Fawkes can also be found on Sainsburys' shelves. I can't comment on the chess set as I don't go into John Lewis, but my local Sainsburys does seem to sell the Fawkes pretty quickly.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

The chess set was a Lego shop exclusive for the UK at first, but it has now become available, in I think about the last month, as an exclusive at the department chain John Lewis. Fawkes has always been available at the Lego shop and exclusive to Argos in the UK since release. Since the supermarket Sainsburys and Argos are the same company, Fawkes can also be found on Sainsburys' shelves. I can't comment on the chess set as I don't go into John Lewis, but my local Sainsburys does seem to sell the Fawkes pretty quickly.

Thanks B2B. :classic: That gives me hope it might become more available with time. (Other stores invariably charge less than the S@H.) 

Wouldn't have expected Sainsburys to carry lego, but then a couple of our drugstores do, and I wouldn't have expected that either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sainsbury's has quite a good home section now, most stores have a really good selection of lego too. 

There are only a few John Lewis stores here, I live very close to the Bluewater one, but their website often follows Amazon or Argos in their reductions. I saw the Chess Set was reduced to about £50 the other day, its back up to full price now though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Sainsbury's has quite a good home section now, most stores have a really good selection of lego too. 

There are only a few John Lewis stores here, I live very close to the Bluewater one, but their website often follows Amazon or Argos in their reductions. I saw the Chess Set was reduced to about £50 the other day, its back up to full price now though. 

Sainsburys is good!

I tell you what, B&M have the best LEGO selection I have seen, find a big one nearby if you can. They had loads of the CMF last year and loads of the new waves last time I went. I actually moved across the country last year and both B&Ms in both areas had great selection.

 

 

Edited by drewdotexe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, what are we calling the Hermione and Harry figs from 76393? "Maxifigs"? I was looking to see if anyone has MOCced some different hairstyles, like the Princess Leia MOC here on EB, and it helps to know the proper terms. (I was hoping to build Ron/ Snape/ Tonks (and Pettigrew) hair, and the Harry "wig" is probably my second least favourite Harry hair, so some modding there wouldn't go amiss either...)

 

Edited by krimimimi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2021 at 11:38 AM, Clone OPatra said:

Not sure how you can authoritatively say the darkness had nothing to do with it, when you also only have assumptions to go on. Your argument doesn't totally make sense though: they all but took a break in 2003 with only two sets, and came back with a huge wave for Prisoner of Azkaban in 2004. So, unless the PoA sets didn't sell, or they were already uneasy about the theme and had decided to cool it down but released a big PoA line anyway, I don't see your argument.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:53 PM, Roebuck said:

I made some assumptions in what I wrote because I do not remember the details like the year it happened, but it is a fact that the HP line sold very poorly one of the first years (I do not remember the source, but it was from an interview with a Lego employee talking about the time Lego almost went bankrupt).
Some more assumptions:
It could have been the second wave as well, if they expected it to sell a lot in 2003 and the sales dried up as the movie hype from 2002 settled down, then instead of a full wave only released 2 sets that year. For 2004 they had already designed the sets before they where aware of the bad sales and most likely had a contract with the license holder so no other choice then to release a full wave. After that they did not take any chances with the license for a few years     :def_shrug:

I found the source at least one of them, better late than newer :tongue:
SW or HP had not any new movies in 2003 or first half of 2004, so sales plummeted with more than 220 million dollars and Lego almost went out of business because of it. So it was both SW and HP combined I only remembered the HP part of it :blush:

Source; The Toys That Made Us, Lego episode season 2 :classic: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Speaking of things on shelves around the world, the Chess set is available only at the S@H here in Germany (and ebay) and Fawkes is hardly more available. How are those two sets doing in other countries?

I can't speak for everyone, but Fawkes and Chess Set (and The Burrow) are all Target exclusives, so I don't know how that limits their sales. But I rarely see them on the shelves in my local stores (we have 3 Targets in my place of residence). We also don't have a LEGO store, so I don't know about their stock levels. Last time I went to our Super Target, they had Privet Drive, a few Moments sets, and the higher priced sets wrapped in a Spider wrap. But none of the mid range or cheaper sets were really available in this theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

sales plummeted with more than 220 million dollars and Lego almost went out of business because of it

I didn't know this.

But this is an interesting point that sometimes we tend to forget: LEGO is an enterprise. And not always sets we dream about are profitable sets (or what LEGO think that would be profitable :snicker:) or fit in the strategy LEGO has (cause they have a strategy, haven't they? :snicker:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, Hiker13 said:

Has anyone in the USA figured out how to (locally) get that Student Desk polybag?

Driving me mad…

It’s on Target’s website, but has said “out of stock” for some time. I imagine that because they haven’t gotten it in yet or I just check at really bad times. I’m also keeping an eye on JoAnns Fabric as they’ve been getting good polybags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if we're lucky the Hermoine Polybag will be one of the ones they stock for the holidays in Target & Walmart.  I've gotten quite a few of some other ones I haven't been able to find elsewhere from Joann's this year.  I'm pretty sure the Harry one was quite plentiful around the holidays last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2021 at 2:44 PM, Vindicare said:

It’s on Target’s website, but has said “out of stock” for some time. I imagine that because they haven’t gotten it in yet or I just check at really bad times. I’m also keeping an eye on JoAnns Fabric as they’ve been getting good polybags.

JoAnn Fabrics has LEGO!? 🤯

Thanks, I would never have guessed that.

Edited by Hiker13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthew Ashton has recently said in a Q&A that his personal dream licensed CMF series is on the way (thanks go to @DBlegonerd7 for the heads-up). While this sounds very exciting, it could also spell doom for either HP S3 or Disney S3 (or even both). I‘m very conflicted about which I‘d prefer :wacko: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Matthew Ashton has recently said in a Q&A that his personal dream licensed CMF series is on the way (thanks go to @DBlegonerd7 for the heads-up). While this sounds very exciting, it could also spell doom for either HP S3 or Disney S3 (or even both). I‘m very conflicted about which I‘d prefer :wacko: 

With the theme seemingly not going anywhere in the near future and characters like Pomfrey (who was previously always seen as a character unlikely to appear outside of a CMF) appearing in normal sets it's important to look at the matter from LEGO's point of view. Why make another CMF series when you can save those characters/variants as sellingpoints for future sets? Marge Dursley and Padfoot for example could be used to get people to buy another (probably inevitable depending on how long the theme lasts) Knight Bus remake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Matthew Ashton has recently said in a Q&A that his personal dream licensed CMF series is on the way (thanks go to @DBlegonerd7 for the heads-up). While this sounds very exciting, it could also spell doom for either HP S3 or Disney S3 (or even both). I‘m very conflicted about which I‘d prefer :wacko: 

No problem! It’s my pleasure for sharing news with you and folks here. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Why make another CMF series when you can save those characters/variants as sellingpoints for future sets? Marge Dursley and Padfoot for example could be used to get people to buy another (probably inevitable depending on how long the theme lasts) Knight Bus remake.

Not to mention, with each passing year there are less characters/variants to be made that the average person has ever heard of. Much as we fans would eat up a series full of obscure characters, I can't imagine a series with (for instance) Ernie Macmillan, the Carrows, Reg Cattermole and Scabior would be a huge seller. It's telling that a LOT of the missing characters appear in Deathly Hallows - we may not get any sets from the films next year or even the year after, but just one wave from the film would almost certainly check off a lot of the wanted figures. What's left outside the Deathly Hallows is mainly obscure students and teachers that can be put in any Hogwarts set, plus a handful of set-dressing wizards and book-only characters. I'd be very surprised if a Harry Potter S3 came out, and I think there's no chance a S4 comes out unless the Harry Potter range runs for so long that a whole generation of kids won't have had a chance to get the early characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Not to mention, with each passing year there are less characters/variants to be made that the average person has ever heard of. Much as we fans would eat up a series full of obscure characters, I can't imagine a series with (for instance) Ernie Macmillan, the Carrows, Reg Cattermole and Scabior would be a huge seller. It's telling that a LOT of the missing characters appear in Deathly Hallows - we may not get any sets from the films next year or even the year after, but just one wave from the film would almost certainly check off a lot of the wanted figures. What's left outside the Deathly Hallows is mainly obscure students and teachers that can be put in any Hogwarts set, plus a handful of set-dressing wizards and book-only characters. I'd be very surprised if a Harry Potter S3 came out, and I think there's no chance a S4 comes out unless the Harry Potter range runs for so long that a whole generation of kids won't have had a chance to get the early characters.

What about Fantastid Beasts films?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Not to mention, with each passing year there are less characters/variants to be made that the average person has ever heard of. Much as we fans would eat up a series full of obscure characters, I can't imagine a series with (for instance) Ernie Macmillan, the Carrows, Reg Cattermole and Scabior would be a huge seller. It's telling that a LOT of the missing characters appear in Deathly Hallows - we may not get any sets from the films next year or even the year after, but just one wave from the film would almost certainly check off a lot of the wanted figures. What's left outside the Deathly Hallows is mainly obscure students and teachers that can be put in any Hogwarts set, plus a handful of set-dressing wizards and book-only characters. I'd be very surprised if a Harry Potter S3 came out, and I think there's no chance a S4 comes out unless the Harry Potter range runs for so long that a whole generation of kids won't have had a chance to get the early characters.

Can't remeber which of the two it was (or maybe both), but the LEGO Batman Movie CMF seemed to have a particular agenda to include the most obscure characters possible. Maybe Batman had more of a shot as they are more distinguishable, colourful and bright. But it does show they are open to very obscure characters in a CMF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What about Fantastid Beasts films?

As much as it pains me to say it a lot of people don't really care about most of the Fantastic Beasts characters. Seeing as LEGO has provided most of the notable characters already I doubt many people will be clamoring for more (although I certainly would).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Why make another CMF series when you can save those characters/variants as sellingpoints for future sets?

42 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

It's telling that a LOT of the missing characters appear in Deathly Hallows - we may not get any sets from the films next year or even the year after, but just one wave from the film would almost certainly check off a lot of the wanted figures.

The excellent points you two bring up are exactly why I‘m conflicted about this: on the hand, we‘re at a point where there‘s only a few characters left that are unlikely to ever appear in regular sets, which is why a Disney S3 would be more valuable.

On the other hand, a HP S3 would be the ideal way to give us some DH characters, but as @Alexandrina points out, this might make for a less-appealing series compared to the first two :shrug_oh_well:

Conclusion? I dunno, just throw us a bone with 2-3 DH sets and we wouldn‘t even have this issue :head_back:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

As much as it pains me to say it a lot of people don't really care about most of the Fantastic Beasts characters. Seeing as LEGO has provided most of the notable characters already I doubt many people will be clamoring for more (although I certainly would).

Probably you make a point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think a S3 makes sense if they are continuing with the theme(much to my discomfort)

I believe we should get a Gringotts next year and maybe they will redo PoA or GoF sets in the new style I dont know. Hopefully if they are continuing with this uglier style at least they remain consistent and everything connects at the end and looks like a proper Hogwarts. I got the Chamber of Secrets and while its not a bad set on its own its driving me crazy that is so out of place when you connect it to the other ones. I still tried. :D

As for the other sets I guess we will get a Shrieking shack, gringotts, second task, ministry of magic and maybe grimmauld before the DH sets.

241359282_290462225781002_9046316263750998179_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Matthew Ashton has recently said in a Q&A that his personal dream licensed CMF series is on the way (thanks go to @DBlegonerd7 for the heads-up). While this sounds very exciting, it could also spell doom for either HP S3 or Disney S3 (or even both). I‘m very conflicted about which I‘d prefer :wacko: 

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Series 3 next year sadly for Harry Potter :sad: Hopefully we see one in 2023...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Series 3 next year sadly for Harry Potter :sad: Hopefully we see one in 2023...

Yeah, I‘ve already made my peace with that :grin: The CMF curse strikes again…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, I‘ve already made my peace with that :grin: The CMF curse strikes again…

Same here! 

Yeah, it’s the CMF curse…again! Well, we can find some spell to counter that curse from DADA. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, drewdotexe said:

But yes we should keep expectations low. I'll throw my two cents in though. Brick-built Dobby, anyone?

As long as he doesn’t have a face like the Yoda...those dead eyes...I’m in! Wall-e, The Porg, & The Child all are fantastic. 

On 9/11/2021 at 1:30 PM, Hiker13 said:

JoAnn Fabrics has LEGO!? 🤯

Thanks, I would never guessed that.

I was very much surprised by this as well. I stumbled upon it last year when I saw a post on the lego hashtag that had the City polybag with the manta ray. I also found the latest HP one too. More recently they had the City hovercraft with the monkey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.