Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

OMG yesss. I was reading the end of the 2010/11 threads, depressing myself, convincing myself that the theme was going to fizzle away again. 

Yeah, i've felt the same so 2022 has to be make or break! Bring on the goodness! hopefully one of the people in the know could give us some hopeful hints. HH's for HP. 

2 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

OMG yesss. I was reading the end of the 2010/11 threads, depressing myself, convincing myself that the theme was going to fizzle away again. 

The theme just went evergreen, for better or worse it's not going away anytime soon.

4 hours ago, Brick Clicker said:

I think it would be a safe bet to assume we are getting a winter 2022 wave :wink:

Yesss :wub:

The question is whether they are gimmicks or not tho.

22 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Yesss :wub:

The question is whether they are gimmicks or not tho.

I'd hazard to guess they are gimmicks,  something small, or what will be the "evergreen" sets constantly re-made. Star Wars had one like that for a smaller x-wing and tie-fighter and can see them doing something similar. 

Still holding out on USC Dobby's Sock though. 

2 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

Does anyone know why Lego HP was discontinued in 2012? If this isn’t appropriate for the thread feel free to PM me. 

Because the film series was over and they weren't in the habit of making Licensed sets unless they were supported by a currently active property? A more interesting question would be IMO why they tanked the HP line so hard after PoA, unless the answer is simply that it was getting too dark and they weren't sure if there'd be a market for it, since they didn't yet have real confidence in the teen/adult market. (Though it was LEGO themselves that made the Graveyard Duel more gruesome than it needed to be with all the rotting skeletons.)

Until one-off licenses through Ideas came along, I actually can't think of a single licensed film theme starting all the way back with Star Wars that didn't follow the same pattern: new film in franchise coming out, so LEGO covers older films (if any) within the same wave or consecutive waves. No more films in theatres, the line quickly ends either immediately or shortly thereafter: LotR, PotC, Indiana Jones, and all the single-wave single-film franchises of course. Star Wars stuck around because of its obvious popularity, but it also had new media not too long after RotS.

Heck even the original Batman theme didn't come out of the blue, but came after the release of Batman Begins, and took a break between the releases of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises when it was relaunched as DC Comics Superheroes.

9 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

But the problem with book details...LEGO doesn't care about them. They have licenses for the movies so that is what they will use. Right?

Sure, I'd love more house elves like Winky, but since they were cut entirely from the 4th movie, I highly doubt they'd ever put them in a set.

In a Perfect World,we'd already have Winky and Peeves and Ludo Bagman,but I guess my Prediction turned into a Little Wishlist ;)

10 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Meh, please not another Cho or Cedric (unless he's in his bathing suit for the second task). Other than that, it sounded pretty good, but I've pretty much hit the saturation point on both of those minifigs. There were members of Dumbledore's Army that would be so easy to make with existing pieces even. Michael Corner, Terry Boot, Anthony Goldstein, Ernie MacMillan, a younger version of Hannah Abbott, an older version of Susan Bones, oh, and while we're at it, Blaise Zabini, Millicent Bulstrode, and Lee Jordan... 

And while I'm wishing, an Accessory Pack of the missing House ghosts (Bloody Baron, Grey Lady, the Fat Friar) and Peeves to round out the collection, please and cheers. And yes, I know the designers have already kibboshed my dreams of Peeves. (Too cruel by half. :sceptic: ) I assume the same arguments apply to the Friar at least. But if they can make such a specific set like this year's Accessory Pack, you'd think ghosts would be possible. The parts could substitute as statues if they were mixed and matched, too.

Cedric or Cho are most Likely,Hogwarts Robes Cedric would be Kinda Hype for me Personally.

As for Blaise Zabini I don't see it Happening,'cause the Whole DH thing.Lee Jordan would be Awesome,but Unlikely.Maybe in Quidditch Accessory Pack?And we Already got Milicent Bulstrode's Robes so that's basically 50%.

A Ghost Pack would be Nice,but I think I'd prefer them in other Sets,Grey Lady in Ravenclaw Common Room,Bloody Baron and Fat Friar in CMF.

19 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

I’m hoping for the four common rooms at a similar price as the Moments sets. I’m guessing they’d be in the new stackable style, but I think I’d prefer them to open up like the books as I’m worried being only 8-studs deep might not give the most detailed interiors.

That would be excellent. I think that format would be perfect for that, one half could be common room & the other could be the dorm. What colors would the books be though? The same as the classrooms but with a different 2x2 tile on the spine(or some other sort of decoration) I suppose. 

I was also thinking something like Thor’s Apartment would be a cool format for one or the other. 

9 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

The theme just went evergreen, for better or worse it's not going away anytime soon.

Wait what?

There has been talk of HP becoming evergreen for a few years now. It always seemed like a good idea to me. 

The amount of promising set potential, new characters, variants of existing minifigures, animal and creatures, accessories and buildings I would suggest is far greater than any other licensed themes Lego has ever done, except the 11+ films and 3+ TV Series in the Star Wars universe and Super Heroes which has countless films and over 80 years of published material. 

That and the willingness of the designers to include sets like the buildable Harry and Hermione, and the Fawkes and Hedwig statuettes mean they are happy to try different things, and for me they work much better than the buildable R2, BB 8 and D 0 from the Star Wars line. 

The fact the first D2C set was micro scale showed they were satisfied to do things a bit differently too. 

Right now I can't see why an evergreen HP line would be a bad thing. 

In a lot of the recent designer interviews for Harry Potter there was a lot of talk about Harry Potter only being planned for 3 years but proved very popular so it's been decided it would continue hence why 2021 was quite different for the theme as in a way they had nothing planned and are working with a blank slate. 

As long as the sets are selling like they are I think we are in for a long ride for Harry Potter 

We’re currently in the fourth year of the theme, so of course it’s evergreen :tongue: Or do you know a theme that went beyond 3 consecutive years that didn’t reach that status? 

If the theme is going evergreen, do we think we will see a third CMF next year? AFAIK, no theme has got more than 2 waves other than, obviously the main CMF and The LEGO Movie franchises.

Assuming we'd see Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Luna and Neville again, I would like to see the following based on the later films:

01 Harry - Actually drawing a blank here, perhaps in yet another Gryffindor uniform variation.

02 Hermione - Slughorns Potions with a unique bushier hair model, distressed uniform, love potion cauldron

03 Ron - Quidditch uniform, with removable chest guard and helmet. A sickly face and a victorious face. New broom mould/build

04 Dumbledore - Half-Blood Prince (greyer tinge compared to the lighter blue version) with no hat, greyed hand and a firestorm piece to represent the Cave

05 Luna - Order of the Phoenix, Forbidden Forest with baby Thestral build

06 Neville - Order of the Phoenix (blue tank top) with a Mimbulus Mimbletonia unique mould

07 Draco Malfoy - HBP Suit with something Room of Requirement themed i.e. a bird or apple

08 Professor McGonagall - Darker outfit based on later films, new hairpiece based off her neat DH hair, plus her Animagus cat form

09 Sirius Black - Order of the Phoenix suit, not sure on an accessory as a full dog mould might be a bit much for a CMF bag.

10 Kreacher - Probably Slytherin's Locket

11 Nymphadora Tonks - Order of the Phoenix, Purple hair with a duck face/attachment somehow?

12 Rita Skeeter - green suit with a copy of a Daily Prophet and a quick quotes quill!

I doubt we will see Crimes of Grindelwald minifigs again unless they revisit it for the next film, but that would have been perfect for a 12-minifig CMF too. Newt, Jacob, Queenie, Tina, Credence, Grindelwald... plus Dumbledore, Nagini, Leta, Theseus, Yusuf and Nicolas Flamel.

Edited by drewdotexe

10 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

As long as the sets are selling like they are I think we are in for a long ride for Harry Potter 

Yes it was brought back do to popular demand and as long as it sells they will keep it around :wink:

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

A more interesting question would be IMO why they tanked the HP line so hard after PoA, unless the answer is simply that it was getting too dark and they weren't sure if there'd be a market for it, since they didn't yet have real confidence in the teen/adult market.

That has nothing to do with it, but you are touching on the issue. After the first 1 or 2 waves sold like crazy, then I assume it happened in 2003 the sale hit rock bottom since it was no film that year. Lego were not in a good spot at the time and lost a lot of money they had been counting on. I believe that is when they learned that they can not do licensed sets without the backing of a film. So they lost a lot of confidence in the license for several years and gave us fewer and fewer sets until the last movies when the hype was so crazy that they had the confidence to give us a last couple of waves. My guess is that SW had a old and huge fanbase they were not affected the same way, HP on the other hand had a very fresh and young fanbase at the time, so when it was no movie hype for over a year they moved on to other toys. The HP fanbase have grown every year for almost 25 years now and I assume more similar to the SW fanbase just with more females probably, so today they can release sets without the backing of films (FB do not count since it is several years between them and almost no sets are made from them unfortunately) :classic:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

We’re currently in the fourth year of the theme, so of course it’s evergreen :tongue: Or do you know a theme that went beyond 3 consecutive years that didn’t reach that status? 

Pirates, Castle, Classic Space, and Bionicle say hello. What does "evergreen status" truly mean? I think it just means "we don't plan an end-date for the theme", which also just means "we'll keep making the theme indefinitely as long as sales stay solid". I'd argue this even applies to the other evergreen themes such as Star Wars and Ninjago, it's just that sales have always stayed strong, but also they've found ways to keep changing up lines. Star Wars has staples to keep remaking but also new material. Superheroes has new material. City now has a new, non-city-like subtheme every other year; Ninjago is going to all sorts of locations and styles that historically would have been in separate action themes.

Harry Potter is going to be one that will get harder and harder to diversify over time, but if sales stay strong then we'll see more and more remakes and more non-traditional stuff. Personally, the theme "going evergreen" does mean that they have no incentive to fill in the gaps sooner rather than later. With no planned end in sight, there's no reason to rush to give us the missing characters, locations and scenes, since they can say they'll "get there eventually". Star Wars still hasn't given us all the characters people want after 22 years, like Beru and Shmi. Rebooted Harry Potter started off extremely strong in the character department in the first three years, and did stay strong this year, but it could slow down. We'll just have to see.

21 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That has nothing to do with it, but you are touching on the issue. After the first 1 or 2 waves sold like crazy, then I assume it happened in 2003 the sale hit rock bottom since it was no film that year.

Not sure how you can authoritatively say the darkness had nothing to do with it, when you also only have assumptions to go on. Your argument doesn't totally make sense though: they all but took a break in 2003 with only two sets, and came back with a huge wave for Prisoner of Azkaban in 2004. So, unless the PoA sets didn't sell, or they were already uneasy about the theme and had decided to cool it down but released a big PoA line anyway, I don't see your argument.

46 minutes ago, drewdotexe said:

[…] as a full dog mould might be a bit much for a CMF bag.

*S19 Dog Sitter has entered the chat*

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

Pirates, Castle, Classic Space, and Bionicle say hello. What does "evergreen status" truly mean? I think it just means "we don't plan an end-date for the theme", which also just means "we'll keep making the theme indefinitely as long as sales stay solid".

Those were all evergreen too at one point, until they lost that status when sales dropped :laugh: That’s also how I interpret the term. Or alternatively, themes that survive past their first three years

7 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Not sure how you can authoritatively say the darkness had nothing to do with it, when you also only have assumptions to go on. Your argument doesn't totally make sense though: they all but took a break in 2003 with only two sets, and came back with a huge wave for Prisoner of Azkaban in 2004. So, unless the PoA sets didn't sell, or they were already uneasy about the theme and had decided to cool it down but released a big PoA line anyway, I don't see your argument.

I made some assumptions in what I wrote because I do not remember the details like the year it happened, but it is a fact that the HP line sold very poorly one of the first years (I do not remember the source, but it was from an interview with a Lego employee talking about the time Lego almost went bankrupt).
Some more assumptions:
It could have been the second wave as well, if they expected it to sell a lot in 2003 and the sales dried up as the movie hype from 2002 settled down, then instead of a full wave only released 2 sets that year. For 2004 they had already designed the sets before they where aware of the bad sales and most likely had a contract with the license holder so no other choice then to release a full wave. After that they did not take any chances with the license for a few years     :def_shrug:
This darkness business is just and excuse in my mind to why they did not give us DH sets this year :sceptic: Back in the day they made as you say the:

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Graveyard Duel more gruesome than it needed to be

and in 2011 made 4865 The Forbidden Forest set where basically Harry is killed :wacko:

I just hope they dont overdo the theme with many remakes. Ideally they would have one more wave fil the gaps and thats it. Who needs a great hall every couple of years. I hate these themes that go on forever you can never complete them

29 minutes ago, Juve said:

I just hope they dont overdo the theme with many remakes. Ideally they would have one more wave fil the gaps and thats it. Who needs a great hall every couple of years. I hate these themes that go on forever you can never complete them

Any relevant objective reason why not? It's not necessary to complete all of it, and if it's for you, then better safe your money :) Every year there are more and more KFOLS who loves HP and the whole story, why don't give them the opportunity to buy and perhaps collect this theme? 

Btw we have two Great Hall iterations (minifig compatible) since 2018. Both of them a bit unfinished..I would like to get proper GH in upcoming years... 

41 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Any relevant objective reason why not? It's not necessary to complete all of it, and if it's for you, then better safe your money :) Every year there are more and more KFOLS who loves HP and the whole story, why don't give them the opportunity to buy and perhaps collect this theme? 

Btw we have two Great Hall iterations (minifig compatible) since 2018. Both of them a bit unfinished..I would like to get proper GH in upcoming years... 

Well i guess the point of collecting something is to collect it right. And I was perfectly happy with LEGOs plan to do two movies per wave so we would have finished by now. In my opinion the first great hall is the ultimate set and I woudnt change a thing. This just ruins the whole value(not in financial terms) of the sets if you know that even if you missed some they would probably get remade in some years. Harry Potter is pretty much for the people who grew up with it and I dont know why LEGO focuses so much on younger kids who are still to learn and get into that universe. Let them play with marvel or some other stuff. HP is for our generation :D

I will ask JK Rowling to write an eighth book, “Harry Potter and the Uncerainty of Evergreen Plastic Bricks” and drop that terrible stage “A Cursed Child” ( I know she DIDN”T write that script).

I mean, I don’t know how long the evergreen states for Harry Potter can last that far. Sure, we have two Great Halls. But 2021 Great Hall is a mega “meh”. I strongly prefer 2018-2020 style and that 20218 Great Hall is/was real neat. Remakes sound more uncertain for myself. Well, I will wait and see if I a willl be attached to new/remade Harry Potter sets in future….

13 hours ago, Juve said:

Harry Potter is pretty much for the people who grew up with it and I dont know why LEGO focuses so much on younger kids who are still to learn and get into that universe. Let them play with marvel or some other stuff. HP is for our generation :D

:laugh: If the kids did not buy/get as gifts 8 out of 10 HP sets we would most likely not be sitting here having this conversation :devil_laugh:

17 hours ago, Juve said:

Well i guess the point of collecting something is to collect it right. And I was perfectly happy with LEGOs plan to do two movies per wave so we would have finished by now. In my opinion the first great hall is the ultimate set and I woudnt change a thing. This just ruins the whole value(not in financial terms) of the sets if you know that even if you missed some they would probably get remade in some years. Harry Potter is pretty much for the people who grew up with it and I dont know why LEGO focuses so much on younger kids who are still to learn and get into that universe. Let them play with marvel or some other stuff. HP is for our generation :D

Depends on how you perceive the word "collecting" :) The first Great Hall is not ultimate set by any means. Compared to the other ones, sure it is. But overall..."meh" Its far from "accurate" and the Great Tower is a big joke. Lego is mainly for kids (of course not necessarily, last years TLG is focused on AFOLS as well, I know)... the value of Lego is in the building, "mocing" and playing. It supports creativity and fantasy... so I would much appreciate, if sets, that I missed out, will be recreated at some point, especially in themes, that are popular among its customers. 

I strongly disagree with the last sentences you wrote. HP (or any other theme) is for every fan, whether its "our generation" or not. My kids grew up with it (and still growing up) and they are 5 and 7 yrs old. Maybe their kids will also grow up with HP. Or maybe Narnia, or LotR. Who knows. So its up to them (and market) whether they prefer Marvel "or some other stuff" or HP :) Howk.