Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Correct, if it weren‘t for the harp that‘s included in the set :tongue: 

That's true. The preliminary photos including Hogwarts jumpers makes me think that the set will also have them, but who knows. All I know is that it'll be very difficult for me to justify purchasing the chess set if it re-uses figures from a much cheaper set :shrug_oh_well:

I would guess that very few people buying the chess set will be buying it for the minifigures regardless of how many there are or how exclusive they are. Depending on how integrated it is with Hogwarts (if it's just a few pinholes that would make it connectable to the other sets or if it includes other challenges) I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of the people buying it weren't even buying it for the Harry Potter license but just because it's a realistic chess board made of LEGO. 

Overall, this wave seems to be interesting and a little weird...

The chess set seems to be an interesting idea and I appreciate LEGO trying out something unique (like I always did). However, there are many more complex sets for the same price so it is questionable whether it will sell well or not. Furthermore, the build should be rather repetitive at such a large scale.

Personally, I may pick it up if the final product looks good. But I am still pretty surprised that this will be the D2C set...

Even though Fawkes may not be in high demand, I can understand LEGO doing something similar since Hedwig sold extremely well. If the final product looks good I will pick up this one as well.

Buildable characters are a pretty weird choice, but I won't judge the set until I see the official pictures.

35 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

What's funny is—and I say this as someone who is not particularly fond of the anniversary style—just before the August wave was revealed, I had a thought that maybe it would be kind of nice to build a quaint little anniversary Hogwarts with all the scenes from the first two films depicted and nothing else. But the fact that there's no more additions (no Troll, no winged keys, etc.) really squashed that.

Whoa. I had this exact thought this morning! I figured the 2018-2020 accurate sets could sit on my shelf. Then the anniversary sets could sit on my desk because if I don't compare them to the 2018-2020 style, they're pretty!

I am kinda stoked for the Tom Riddle figure. I've always wondered why Tom's robes has an H instead of the Slytherin crest in the film. But glad to see this was replicated into the minifigure unlike the 2002 Tom.

2 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

Hermione seems a bit unpopular in this thread. As a young gay kid who didn't fit in she was always my favourite. And now, as an adult, she still is probably my favourite literary creation.  :purrr:

Fwiw, I think she can be an officious, swotty little nag on occasion, but I have a great deal of affection for the character and she is hands down my favourite :wub: in a series chock full of characters I’m very fond of. :classic:

2 hours ago, karrit said:

I leave out the Advent Calendar because I always get at least one if not all that they release.

Even in my dark years I still always had a lego AC. Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without it. And the release of an HP version was like... all my Christmases come at once. :laugh:  I’m a little more surprised to hear that from someone in the States because I didn’t think it was as much of a thing there. (The competition from prevalence of ACs on our market make them pretty much the only set cheaper here than there, for example.)

@Alexandrina I tend to think of Hermione as brown haired and Lavender as blonder, although I could be wrong. EW’s hair always struck me as a little light for the part, or maybe it was the highlights in the later films.

I definitely think the Wizard's Chess set is going to be heavily marketed as it's own thing, with probably at least 90% of the piece count dedicated to the chess rather than some sort of Hogwarts side-build. If it's going to have these big chess pieces taller than a minifigure it will probably need to be at least 32x32, or even bigger - if the chess board is built on a square the size of a base plate that would each square would only be 3 studs across, which just doesn't seem big enough when each square is meant to dwarf a minifigure.

This set is probably intended to attract casual Harry Potter fans who don't usually collect Lego and chess fans who would like a Lego medieval-ish board game - I fully expect Harry Potter elements outside of the pieces to be quite scarce, maybe with a couple of statue-exploding functions and at most a small Hogwarts wall which can serve as a backdrop to the minifigure display. That being said, the white queen better have a fully posable sword arm for all the destruction she causes :laugh:

1. Hogsmeade - build looks fantastic and the minifig selection seems great.

2. CoS - build is a bit of a mixed bag but it looks like a decent partspack, seemingly fantastic minifig selection.

3 Bathroom - the build looks like crap but I'm interested for the figures. Unless they use the Moments torso, in which case I will erase this set from my mind.

3 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

Hermione seems a bit unpopular in this thread. As a young gay kid who didn't fit in she was always my favourite. And now, as an adult, she still is probably my favourite literary creation.  :purrr:

You are definitely not alone! I love Hermione and actually think Harry himself is overrated.

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

You are thinking of Falconfan, but you're misinterpreting what he said. What it was was that someone was complaining that the set might only have the trio when a minifig-scale D2C should have at least 10 minifigures, to which FF replied that (to paraphrase) "There is no minimum number of minifigures for D2C sets." It could be seen as a hint, but I think it was just a general statement.

I was the one who said that actually. But you are correct, it's just a general statement :wink:

7 minutes ago, doclord said:

I really wish we could see the interior of the Fluffy set, there has to be something there.

I feel like it could end up looking quite shallow, like the Whomping Willow sections of Hogwarts. But these new bits are meant to be interior-focused so I'll happily be proven wrong. 

Personally I can't wait to see all three anniversary Hogwarts sections stacked together or placed side-by-side, hopefully that will be included in promotional pictures when they're officially revealed. 

5 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Yikes, that didn't take long! I don't think the panic is well-founded. One off-year shouldn't completely break your trust after three other really good years. Honestly, it's a little humorous to see how doom and gloom people are getting here. Wait for the final pics of this year's sets, make your full judgement, and then see what next year brings. If they do something like this year again, that'd be grounds for broken trust. Seriously though, one bad wave. Cut the designers some slack.

I agree!

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I can’t believe we were actually right with a lot of our purposefully stupid set ideas :sad: I lowered my expectations to the point I was actually looking forward to additional anniversary sets, but turns out even that wasn’t low enough :angry: I’m utterly disappointed in the design team. I sincerely hope they get their **** together and don’t continue with that nonsense next year

We still have not seen any sets and I am sure they will look great, it makes no sense at all that the sets they make are bad. I know that it is not what most of us wanted or where expecting, but for what they are I am sure they will be top notch. Last year a lot of folks where lukewarm towards Hedwig, but that tuned out to be a fantastic set that received a lot of praise. I warned you guys about this earlier, since the theme is going evergreen they must do a lot of other stuff beside minifig scale sets or they will run out of both characters and locations real soon. Sure I was not expecting a hole wave of only non minifig-scale stuff, however it could have something to do with FB getting delayed again as some have mentioned. I am sure if Lego knew what they know now in 2016-17, they would have started with stuff like this more numerous and sooner. Even if the anniversary sets are a different style they use up set ideas, so I do not expect we will see more then 4-6 "new" sets every year. Unless they start with remakes the rest of the sets will be like January and August waves. For me personally I would preferred that we got a DA and Hogsmeade expansion set every year to fill up another 2 spots, however maybe Lego feels that is to similar with previous sets and would rather give us something new instead. I would probably be good if FB3 is doing amazing and start helping with a few sets in the line up. I am sure Lego know what they are doing and I will decide what I think when I see the finished sets :classic:

4 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I agree!

We still have not seen any sets and I am sure they will look great, it makes no sense at all that the sets they make are bad. I know that it is not what most of us wanted or where expecting, but for what they are I am sure they will be top notch. Last year a lot of folks where lukewarm towards Hedwig, but that tuned out to be a fantastic set that received a lot of praise. I warned you guys about this earlier, since the theme is going evergreen they must do a lot of other stuff beside minifig scale sets or they will run out of both characters and locations real soon. Sure I was not expecting a hole wave of only non minifig-scale stuff, however it could have something to do with FB getting delayed again as some have mentioned. I am sure if Lego knew what they know now in 2016-17, they would have started with stuff like this more numerous and sooner. Even if the anniversary sets are a different style they use up set ideas, so I do not expect we will see more then 4-6 "new" sets every year. Unless they start with remakes the rest of the sets will be like January and August waves. For me personally I would preferred that we got a DA and Hogsmeade expansion set every year to fill up another 2 spots, however maybe Lego feels that is to similar with previous sets and would rather give us something new instead. I would probably be good if FB3 is doing amazing and start helping with a few sets in the line up. I am sure Lego know what they are doing and I will decide what I think when I see the finished sets :classic:

Hopefully now that the Lego Harry Potter theme has exploded Lego will be a bit more confident with Fantastic Beasts if there's actually a new film to tie a wave to! As you say they will run out of Harry Potter sets if they keep them in the same style so hopefully we get some kind of Fantastic Beast wave next year with sets from the first 2 films as well, like the POTC and Toy Story waves did. I just hope they don't take any fan/critic backlash to heart leading them to be conservative with Fantastic Beasts again - neither Jurassic World nor the latter POTC were incredibly well-recieved films but there were still great sets made about them...

9 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

[...] so hopefully we get some kind of Fantastic Beast wave next year [...]

Only when they're not at the expense of DH sets :tongue: I'm afraid that non-playset nonsense will take up multiple spots next year as well, so the precious few normal sets we'll have will hopefully be dedicated to DH.

My issue with POTC sets was that Mega Bloks had the original license so Lego didn't get to make the sets from what to me were the better films.  Once Lego got the license the sets were huge & very expensive to me at the time and not ones I was particularly interested in. 

I would love to see them add a building each year for Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade going forward but I expect that they will most likely do remakes every few years of the same iconic sets over & over much like SW has the Land Speeders, Millenium Falcons, Tie Fighters, etc.  I really do want a Leaky Cauldron as that is iconically Harry's first interaction with the Wizarding World that leads him into Diagon Alley to begin his Hogwarts journey.  I get the whole anniversary thing but even though I will most likely get the Great Hall/Chamber of Secrets I would have preferred something totally new for the chamber rather than including it with a redo of the Great Hall.  I really hope the interior is setup for the Dueling Scene rather than the dining hall being redone.

8 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Only when they're not at the expense of DH sets :tongue: I'm afraid that non-playset nonsense will take up multiple spots next year as well, so the precious few normal sets we'll have will hopefully be dedicated to DH.

Oh yes they will be, I guarantee. 

If not, then I'll not only lose my hand, but my interest in this theme as a whole.

3 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

You are thinking of Falconfan, but you're misinterpreting what he said. What it was was that someone was complaining that the set might only have the trio when a minifig-scale D2C should have at least 10 minifigures, to which FF replied that (to paraphrase) "There is no minimum number of minifigures for D2C sets." It could be seen as a hint, but I think it was just a general statement.

Yes, I edited message and said that I misunderstood him. I didn't notice it was "NO minimum". And it was FF, it was guyon

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Harry himself is overrated.

Blasphemy! I think Harry is one of the best characters in all of literature. But maybe that's just cause I'm an INFJ :grin:

27 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

Blasphemy! I think Harry is one of the best characters in all of literature.

Harry is often criticised for being boring, which happens with a lot of novel protagonists, with the reader supposed to project themselves into the character and all that. Superheroes shared the same fate in their early days. Personally, I’ve always liked him, but not as much as other characters :shrug_oh_well:

27 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

But maybe that's just cause I'm an INFJ :grin:

As a psychologist, this irks me every time it‘s brought up. The Myers-Briggs “test” is neither objective, nor reliable, let alone valid and is essentially on the same level as bloody horoscopes. Non-dimensional personality typologies are rubbish anyway and yes, that includes the Hogwarts house test :tongue: *mini-rant over*

Edited by Lego-Freak

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Harry is often criticised for being boring, which happens with a lot of novel protagonists, with the reader supposed to project themselves into the character and all that. Superheroes shared the same fate in their early days. Personally, I’ve always like him, but not as much as other characters :shrug_oh_well:

I really like Harry but idk, personally just never found him as amazing as a lot of people do and there are a ton of characters in the universe who are a lot more interesting than him imo.

Honestly, Ron’s probably the most relatable for me, and so I feel a little weirded out they left him out of the statue set. I actually think LEGO used to kind of shaft him—I still don’t have him in school robes since I got the 2010 Hogwarts.

Having a look at new Tom Riddle...

I don't know if this variant is more movie accurated, but I still prefer the former. I don't like the stripe part of his outfit and how it abruptly ends before the hips, while in the old minifigure this part continue in the lower part.

Grey legs could also be more movie accurated, but looking from behind Tom doesn't seem wearing his robe but a black sweatshirt with hood. Still prefer the black legs.

And for his face, I appreciate the new second expression, but prefer grin of the old one to the new main expression.

Well, luckily I've already bought the book with Tom Riddle.

Not a good minifigure this one, for me.

1 hour ago, karrit said:

I really hope the interior is setup for the Dueling Scene rather than the dining hall being redone.

Considering that the new Great Hall seems to be only eight studs deep (including the exterior wall), I think this is fairly likely, simply because I can't see how they'd fit a full dining hall into the space. We'll probably get two adjacent long tables with a play feature to make them able to flip over, knocking off the minifigure- something much like what was featured in the prototype Great Hall shown off at NYTF 2018.

17 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Honestly, Ron’s probably the most relatable for me, and so I feel a little weirded out they left him out of the statue set. I actually think LEGO used to kind of shaft him—I still don’t have him in school robes since I got the 2010 Hogwarts.

Well, in 2010 that was just because of LEGO wanting to have an equal amount of Rons and Hermiones. Ron came with the Ford Anglia in the Express, so he's absent from the castle with Hermione- similar to how last year we only got 2 HBP Ron's to 3 HBP/OotP Hermiones, because they shoved Ron and the car into Privet Drive.

That said, him being left out of the statues is unfortunate, and I do hope they include spare pieces to rebuild Harry into Ron.

4 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

That said, him being left out of the statues is unfortunate, and I do hope they include spare pieces to rebuild Harry into Ron.

I could see them releasing another set like it, this time with Ron and some other character. Although the thought disgusts me.

Can someone do me a huge favor and PM me the leaked prelim photos for the June wave? I forgot to save them earlier and now I can't find them :facepalm:

3 hours ago, joeee said:

I've always wondered why Tom's robes has an H instead of the Slytherin crest in the film. But glad to see this was replicated into the minifigure unlike the 2002 Tom.

Perhaps because he was a Head Boy in his 7th year? Or the badge's design was different in 1940s? Either way I'm really happy we're getting him. Although looking at the figure it's pretty weird that the striped pattern doesn't continue on the hips. It's a new print on the legs anyway, so why not add this small detail? Someone in the design team was being lazy.

16 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Can someone do me a huge favor and PM me the leaked prelim photos for the June wave? I forgot to save them earlier and now I can't find them :facepalm:

I'd like them too please. Found the link and they got taken down the next day.