Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Most likely yes, but not this year, of course. I'd guess in August/September 2022

Could HP be the theme to finally break the licensed CMF series curse? :laugh: Unless Disney breaks it first of course :tongue:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Could HP be the theme to finally break the licensed CMF series curse? :laugh:

Is it really a curse? Has any license got to two CMFs and reached the point where a third would be expected? HP is obviously only just passed S2, Disney S2 is only just out of shops. What else has there been? 

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

At the same time, though, Guyon might have got sets he wanted in the June wave but not the August wave - and they might not be the same as the sets you want. 

I got what I wanted in june wave its just not as good as I wanted it to be and by that I mean its quite bad but minifigs can save it :D

2 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Is it really a curse? Has any license got to two CMFs and reached the point where a third would be expected? HP is obviously only just passed S2, Disney S2 is only just out of shops. What else has there been? 

Simpsons and TLBM. Granted, the latter definitely would’ve outstayed its welcome with a third series, but Simpsons could’ve had one if the second series hadn’t bombed :grin:

4 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

That's the curse. Licensed themes never got 3rd cmf and if HP will get it'll the first one

Just now, Textorix said:

I got what I wanted in june wave its just not as good as I wanted it to be and by that I mean its quite bad but minifigs can save it :D

All I meant was that Guyon being disappointed by the August wave only tells us that the sets aren't what Guyon would have wanted - it's possible that for many people, they will not be just as requested. 

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Could HP be the theme to finally break the licensed CMF series curse? :laugh: Unless Disney breaks it first of course :tongue:

I mean if this theme keeps going for next year then 3rd CMF is a must because there are still many characters and their versions we missed in sets.

Just now, Legofania said:

That's the curse. Licensed themes never got 3rd cmf and if HP will get it'll the first one

But it's only a curse if series are fading away after two series. Disney and Harry Potter are still in the window of possibly having a third series, it's not like Valve being allergic to third games in a series for nigh on 20 years now 

Kinda sad that such characters as Andromeda Tonks, Winky, Peeves and others didn't appear in the movie. Especially Andromeda and Winky

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

One can only hope! I for one really liked the second series. And yet, there is still so much potential! 

4 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Kinda sad that such characters as Andromeda Tonks, Winky, Peeves and others didn't appear in the movie. Especially Andromeda and Winky

That doesn't mean they won't turn up in minifigure form. Peeves was in the original series, and there's precedent for Lego exploring non-movie source material for sets in popular licenses, when they're running out of things to do (see the amount of Expanded Universe Star Wars sets in 2007 and 2008, before the Clone Wars/sequels came along). Admittedly Andromeda Tonks would be one of the most surprising minifigure inclusions in perhaps any licensed set ever, but Peeves isn't impossible.

Maybe in the past they did figures from books that didn't appear in movies, but I doubt they will do now.

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

But it's only a curse if series are fading away after two series. Disney and Harry Potter are still in the window of possibly having a third series, it's not like Valve being allergic to third games in a series for nigh on 20 years now 

Fair enough :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, FindusLondon said:

One can only hope! I for one really liked the second series. And yet, there is still so much potential! 

The only thing that worries me is the reduced minifig count for S21 and the upcoming Looney Tunes one. If the potential third series keeps its regular spot in autumn, there will be 3 series before it (Marvel, S22 and an unknown one) to show if 12 becomes the new standard for all series :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Alexandrina said:

That doesn't mean they won't turn up in minifigure form.

I actually don't want them to do that, unless it's characters we have some form of official visual reference for, like the Hogwarts founders. Displaying a regular HP minifig next to a made-up design would probably look pretty weird. Speaking of Peeves: what was that odd minifig even based on in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's not what Rik Mayall's Peeves would've looked like :tongue:

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

Speaking of Peeves: what was that odd minifig even based on in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's not what Rik Mayall's Peeves would've looked like :tongue:

I've long held a suspicion that resemblance to actors was at best a secondary consideration for the designers of the 2001-04 Harry Potter minifigures. :pir-tongue:

3 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Maybe in the past they did figures from books that didn't appear in movies, but I doubt they will do now.

While there's still loads of gaps from the films, you're probably right. If the theme is still going strong in five or six years and they're running out of unplumbed depths, a few prominent figures - Peeves mainly, but maybe also characters like Ludo Bagman - might squeeze in. I'd also imagine a few book-only students will get made eventually, especially for the two houses (Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff) with a dearth of prominent film characters. There's already people talking about a possible Roger Davies figure, and he's in all of six seconds in the films. I can see Lego picking a random extra from one of the films and saying "this is Terry Boot" or "have yourself a merry little Morag MacDougal"

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I've long held a suspicion that resemblance to actors was at best a secondary consideration for the designers of the 2001-04 Harry Potter minifigures. :pir-tongue:

Only up to 2004 huh? So maybe stoned-Ron is accurate after all :laugh_hard:

2005 | Ron Weasley | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

So maybe stoned-Ron is accurate after all :laugh_hard:

I don't think I've ever seen that figure before. Was that in the 2007 range? I was too busy buying Star Wars sets at the time to pay much attention to the Harry Potter offerings then. He looks sleepy - too many of Hermione's enchanted muffins, clearly.

MY EYES, IT BURNS!

Thanks for reminding us of that monstrosity :tongue: What on Earth were they thinking

7 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I've long held a suspicion that resemblance to actors was at best a secondary consideration for the designers of the 2001-07 Harry Potter minifigures. :pir-tongue:

There, FTFY :laugh:

Just now, Alexandrina said:

I don't think I've ever seen that figure before. Was that in the 2007 range?

It was originally from the GoF sets in 2005, but then they reused it in 2007 for whatever reason :grin:

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I don't think I've ever seen that figure before. Was that in the 2007 range? I was too busy buying Star Wars sets at the time to pay much attention to the Harry Potter offerings then. He looks sleepy - too many of Hermione's enchanted muffins, clearly.

His second face is actually him sleeping. This print was originally created for the second task set. 

1 hour ago, Legofania said:

I just realized it's anniversary and we're getting mf pack xd
Wonder if we'll get any new characters 

My assumption would be that the pack is Quidditch themed, as torso prints for all four house Quidditch uniforms already exist, which would make their inclusion in a minifigure pack quite simple.  I would hope they include an interesting character selection, but I could also see them going with Harry, Draco, Cedric and Cho.  I don't care too much as long as it's an easier way of getting Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw Quidditch uniforms.  If one of the August sets ends up being a Quidditch Match remake (which is quite plausible, considering the 2018 set seems to be discontinued, and I think a Quidditch set is something LEGO would want to have available on shelves), a Quidditch minfigure pack would complement it well.

As a note, if we get any buildable creatures for the August wave like some speculated, the only that seems plausible to me is a buildable Fawkes.  Perhaps such a set could also include a minifigure scale Fawkes that's a new mold in a flying pose.  I've already thought that a flying Fawkes could be included in the Great Hall/Chamber of Secrets set (especially because of the unoccupied translucent flight stand in the preliminary picture, which would make sense to have nothing on it if it was meant for a Fawkes that was not a preexisting mold, and wasn't yet finalized), but if they could include it in more than one set, it would make even more sense for LEGO to invest in a new Fawkes mold.

As for the potential inclusion of book only characters, I think that Peeves has a chance at least.  We got the Hogwarts Founders, who never physically appeared in the movies (or books for that matter)  The appearance of a Peeves minifigure could be based on one of the mobile games, or Hogwarts Legacy if he appears in that.

2 minutes ago, spiderfan2000 said:

As for the potential inclusion of book only characters, I think that Peeves has a chance at least.  We got the Hogwarts Founders, who never physically appeared in the movies (or books for that matter)  The appearance of a Peeves minifigure could be based on one of the mobile games, or Hogwarts Legacy if he appears in that.

Don't forget that Rik Mayall filmed scenes for Philosopher's Stone as Peeves - so at the very least, there are reference photos and costume designs somewhere in the Warner Brothers vaults. Lego could theoretically give us a screen-accurate Peeves even if Peeves never hit the screen.

2 minutes ago, spiderfan2000 said:

My assumption would be that the pack is Quidditch themed, as torso prints for all four house Quidditch uniforms already exist, which would make their inclusion in a minifigure pack quite simple.  I would hope they include an interesting character selection, but I could also see them going with Harry, Draco, Cedric and Cho.  I don't care too much as long as it's an easier way of getting Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw Quidditch uniforms.  If one of the August sets ends up being a Quidditch Match remake (which is quite plausible, considering the 2018 set seems to be discontinued, and I think a Quidditch set is something LEGO would want to have available on shelves), a Quidditch minfigure pack would complement it well.

As a note, if we get any buildable creatures for the August wave like some speculated, the only that seems plausible to me is a buildable Fawkes.  Perhaps such a set could also include a minifigure scale Fawkes that's a new mold in a flying pose.  I've already thought that a flying Fawkes could be included in the Great Hall/Chamber of Secrets set (especially because of the unoccupied translucent flight stand in the preliminary picture, which would make sense to have nothing on it if it was meant for a Fawkes that was not a preexisting mold, and wasn't yet finalized), but if they could include it in more than one set, it would make even more sense for LEGO to invest in a new Fawkes mold.

If it's a Quidditch minifig pack or set in August, I hope for printed legs (or ideally dual molded legs with prints but that is only realistic in a 3rd cmf). The white legs are just to plain.

I had the same thought about Fawkes. He is essential to the chamber scene...

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Don't forget that Rik Mayall filmed scenes for Philosopher's Stone as Peeves - so at the very least, there are reference photos and costume designs somewhere in the Warner Brothers vaults. Lego could theoretically give us a screen-accurate Peeves even if Peeves never hit the screen.

Good point.  If Warner Brothers ever releases the scenes Mayall filmed, that could increase the chances of LEGO using that design for reference if they ever want to include Peeves in the future.

1 minute ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Good point.  If Warner Brothers ever releases the scenes Mayall filmed, that could increase the chances of LEGO using that design for reference if they ever want to include Peeves in the future.

If they ever release the deleted scenes, I bet we'll suddenly have loads of new characters to turn into minifigure form. Almost all of Ernie Macmillan's lines are in a deleted scene from Chamber of Secrets, and Charlotte Skeoch played Hannah Abbott twice without getting a single line that made it to cinema release. What's the betting there are others like them who were cast but never made the cut?

v9jIrNOcUfM43Jjnboq4wYdNwr7D2EkUPwkSUkXB

As far as I know, these are the only official concept images of Peeves that have been released, from the Character Vault book. 

I personally doubt we'll ever get official minifigures barely seen in the films like Charlie Weasley, cut like Peeves or omitted like Ludo Bagman. 

I could see portraits that don't appear in the films showing up as stickers maybe. Perhaps a lovely image of Sir Cadogan with his fat horse :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Perhaps a lovely image of Sir Cadogan with his fat horse :laugh:

I swear Sir Cadogan is actually in Prisoner of Azkaban. Maybe it's a false memory, but I seem to remember him dashing about swinging his sword through various paintings on the other side of the hallway in the scene where everyone's gathered around the slashed portrait of the Fat Lady.