Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

17 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Slytherin looks like regular green and Ravenclaw looks like regular blue to me. Is that not what they were before?

I think all look fine except the red for Gryffindor...should be darker. Hard to really tell the other three as we don’t have torsos to compare really. All the colors on the current House torsos are subtle. 

13 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They can do a "Ninjago City" yes, however if you want people to collect a series it is better to give them time to get all sets from the beginning. I am sure there are people that do not buy Gardens now because they did not buy the first sets. The modulars on the other hand come out once a year, so new collectors can buy 3-4 sets that is for sale now and then start collecting the next ones (and some maybe try to find older ones for a decent price).
If would make more sense to give out a DA set every year now so people know that it is annual thing and not a stand-alone set instead of staring that 2-3 years from now :shrug_oh_well:

Fair. Docks retired in 2019, so not much chance of finding two, much less all three, on the shelf at the same time. I managed to buy City & Docks at the same time, but that was well before they both came out. Modulars life span is definitely out of the norm, having that many on the shelf at once is a lot. 

I’d love a DA building a year also, but I think if we do get a Gringotts there’s no way it won’t be compatible(even if it comes out two years later). 

I absolutely love the new set! Finally we got the beans! And the new trunk is so useful. I bet they'll reuse it for minecraft. Oh and ofcourse the trolls skirt pieces I'm black, very useful. 

I really love all the new faces. Although I hope we get some new light nougat prints as well, as they mostly seem to reuse them so far from named characters only. I mean there's dudley/draco, the ginny/luna one from last year now reused for hermione, and Harry. Really want one with glasses that isn't Harry.

I also really like the hair choices, especially the Violet hair. Wonder what colour the hairband is.

I think I might pick up multiple of these, just to get some more torsos, which I'm really happy with, really don't mind the colour change, and to make more common rooms. I mean I have gryffindor and Ravenclaw, now it's time for Hufflepuff and Slytherin! Can't wait to buy this thing.

I am really liking the look of the Hogwarts Trunk!  It seems like a very fun set, and all the house torsos with scarves, plus the skirts and dual molded short legs are very nice to have.  Another opportunity for the unsorted student torso is also very welcome.  I'm glad that we're getting a flying owl that isn't Hedwig.  With all the interchangeable features for the build and minifigures, I might end up getting up to four eventually if they go on sale.

38 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

2021 uses the regular colors but LEGO has used dark green and blue since 2018: 

Ah right, and the crests are different from the 2021 mainline sets too, in line with the Moments torsos.

It doesn't bother me personally - so what if they have some differently coloured gear, but I get how the inconsistency is annoying to others. Then again, the costuming (and design of Hogwarts) is horribly inconsistent throughout the film series.

11 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

It doesn't bother me personally - so what if they have some differently coloured gear, but I get how the inconsistency is annoying to others. Then again, the costuming (and design of Hogwarts) is horribly inconsistent throughout the film series.

Might be worth mentioning these torsos seem to be based on the winter cloaks (like the Harry that came with buildable Hedwig) rather than the usual house robes (like in the CoS/Fluffy/Bathroom sets) 

Definitely looking forward to the Trolls skirt piece, the Marauder's Map and the owl. Agree, the trunk lid is nice, too. I can see myself getting one, but not more of these. It's also really nice that we'll be able to reuse all those extra minifig bodies from the trio. 

59 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

The five rows is what had me as well. It kind of looks like the second row down is a shade between medium nougat and reddish brown, and it would be weird if there were four of one colour and two of all the rest. I've asked a further clarifying question so we'll see.

China and India together make up more than a third of the world population, and Nougat is the colour they use in this theme to represent the Chinese or Indian skin tones. And of course they also use it for other ethnicities, so 40% representation doesn't seem off (especially as you really have to count McGonagall and Harry in which case it's only a third).

JKR did a pretty good job of reflecting the ethnicities in the UK at the time she wrote the books, but this is a toy trying to appeal to a global market to make your own sigfigs. It's a clever move. 

48 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

2021 uses the regular colors but LEGO has used dark green and blue since 2018: [...]

Thanks for placing them side by side.

The dark green was so much better. I get why they made the switch, to be able to use mittens and thus avoid the issue of skin tone and having to swap hands, but I hope they return to the darker colours for the rest of the 2022 series. 

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

China and India together make up more than a third of the world population, and Nougat is the colour they use in this theme to represent the Chinese or Indian skin tones. And of course they also use it for other ethnicities, so 40% representation doesn't seem off (especially as you really have to count McGonagall and Harry in which case it's only a third).

A worthwhile theory, but after clarifying further Marcos has confirmed there are five colours of heads included, and he used a winky face, so perhaps a new colour is coming? It would be in line with LEGO's aim to continually better represent people from all over the globe.

Here's the exchange:

Screenshot_20211202-083621.thumb.png.acb18dc0175550e16c42a9c237f9ced8.png

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

Might be worth mentioning these torsos seem to be based on the winter cloaks (like the Harry that came with buildable Hedwig) rather than the usual house robes (like in the CoS/Fluffy/Bathroom sets) 

True, so the crest makes sense, but the colours are still changed to be brighter.

While weird, the color change isn’t unheard of. The dark red/green that should be are regular red/green in the first AC House flag posts. But we did get pearl silver instead of grey...  then Dean Thomas has a completely different scarf from Buildable Hedwig Harry & AC Hermione. Would’ve liked color consistency...but as a Hufflepuff....it’s nice seeing other Houses get defects. :grin::tongue: 

I really like the set. The vibrancy of the new uniforms fits the setting and the brief. It’s for kids, there’s no guarantee that they are a permanent fixture, and I can honestly say that in my fourteen years of formal education, I can’t remember a time when every single aspect of the various uniforms matched exactly. Talk about storm in a teacup.

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

A worthwhile theory, but after clarifying further Marcos has confirmed there are five colours of heads included, and he used a winky face, so perhaps a new colour is coming? It would be in line with LEGO's aim to continually better represent people from all over the globe.

Cool! Thanks for chasing that info down. 

Interesting new set.

Not that keen on the minifigures I think the brighter colours contrast a bit too much from all the other robes we've had in the past few years.

Like that new chest lid piece, the print for the Bertie Botts box is nice (would've maybe preferred it on a cream or yellow brick though). The owl is also cool.

Is that a new colour of the desert bowl piece that first came with Ginny in the cmf series 2?

Weird how this is now the third new version of the Marauder's Map and the Advanced Potion making book. Idk why they changed the size of the map, and why couldn't we get 1000 magical herbs and fungi instead of the potions book but in a wrong colour.

Something about all the hair colours and stickers make it all feel a bit cartoonish (and not in a good way) and puts me off a bit. Judging by what the price might be anyway I might steer clear.

4 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Is that a new colour of the desert bowl piece that first came with Ginny in the cmf series 2?

I think it's the same trans neon orange as Diagon Alley 

Does any one know the full extend of stickers for the Magical Trunk? Would be very keen to see how well the work for future MOCs.  

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I think it's the same trans neon orange as Diagon Alley 

Ah, I don't have the set so didn't know whether it was a new colour or not.

I quite like the piece (in the white clear) as it's good for putting candles in to look like they're floating. 

30 minutes ago, Dwarfy said:

Does any one know the full extend of stickers for the Magical Trunk? Would be very keen to see how well the work for future MOCs.  

These are the two available angles from the Lego.com images. Not the best but you can kind of make things out:

59382044_Screenshot_20211202-1535522.png.e45d133d09a46631d9666984ee812b8a.pngScreenshot_20211202-153301.thumb.png.056ab1211d5d67d5af544ed1ba510f7e.png

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

These are the two available angles from the Lego.com images. Not the best but you can kind of make things out:

59382044_Screenshot_20211202-1535522.png.e45d133d09a46631d9666984ee812b8a.pngScreenshot_20211202-153301.thumb.png.056ab1211d5d67d5af544ed1ba510f7e.png

Thanks @Clone OPatra, this is really cool to see.  The design is definitely a lot more cartoonish than normal but I'm sure a lot of these will have uses in mocs.  A summary of my thoughts on this set:

The bad

- Would personally have liked the robes to use consistent colours with previous sets - I know it's not a big deal but I won't be able to unsee it.

- The price is very high, even with what I normally consider a great reduction on lego of a third off it still feels steep to me

- Personally won't have much use for the set itself other than the parts inside

- No named figs, obviously the set is about customisation but I enjoy getting new named characters in Hogwarts and it would have been nice for one of each house to be known.  10 heads and 16 hairpieces for four different houses means 640 options - I don't think 4 named character options would have reduced the level of customisation. Also, whilst they provide customisation, the dyed hair colours do feel a lot more cartoonish than anything in the films, I know you don't need to use it but you are paying extra for these things hence the exorbitant price. 

The good

- Bertie Botts (almost certainly printed) piece has been a long time coming and is very exciting!

- Marauders Map print is nice - don't think this was necessary but it's definitely more accurate than the CMF one

- Sand blue owl is a lovely addition to the parliament in a colour that I think really works, would be nice to get a non-airborne equivalent at some point for my owlery

- I do love that we've got four winter torso prints with different designs despite the departure from the usual colours

- The advanced potion making book is nice even if it makes the version in the astronomy tower pretty redundant

- If the crest above the fireplace is printed then that would be a very nice part for mocs of common rooms/great halls

I just saw the new knit hat/hair combo and I can't help but theorize that's going to be recolored for Hermione next summer. She wears that hat in multiple movies and the hairstyle is pretty close to hers.

22 minutes ago, strangely said:

I just saw the new knit hat/hair combo and I can't help but theorize that's going to be recolored for Hermione next summer. She wears that hat in multiple movies and the hairstyle is pretty close to hers.

You mean the one in the big Friends set? Yeah, that‘s definitely a possibility :thumbup:

53 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You mean the one in the big Friends set? Yeah, that‘s definitely a possibility :thumbup:

Wow, that looks much more suitable than the Hidden Side one so I really hope they make a recolour for her. 

Both the acorn and snowy hat in the new CMF would look fine for Victor as well.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It's in one of the smaller sets too.

If they focus on POA and GOF next year, it could be used in a Shrieking Shack set possibly (being that it's one of the few sets that hasn't been remade yet).

Finally got the Fawkes build for my birthday. Made the same mistake I did with Hedwig and the wings don't flap! Whoops.

1 hour ago, drewdotexe said:

Finally got the Fawkes build for my birthday. Made the same mistake I did with Hedwig and the wings don't flap! Whoops.

Oh no! Happy unbuilding :laugh:.

30 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Oh no! Happy unbuilding :laugh:.

Come on, that's like two sets for the price of one. Clever. :laugh:

58 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Come on, that's like two sets for the price of one. Clever. :laugh:

You're fingers will think differently though! :tongue: