Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

On 10/24/2021 at 9:58 PM, karrit said:

GWP is live online in the U.S.  I cashed in VIP points for a $100 voucher and ordered the Chamber of Secrets.  If I get to the store next weekend & they still have the Polybag available I'll see if I can spend enough to get the it but if not hopefully I'll find it for sale somewhere else.

For the polybag check out Target. I’ve been checking semi regularly for some time & it finally showed up here(one out of three stores). 

@BrickFunatic I managed to get the chess set online through checkout but saying it's temporarily out of stock and on backorder. Got the GWP too. Picked up Fluffys Encounter. I know it's £10 cheaper on Amazon, but mentally I'm just saying the GWP was worth around £10 :laugh: 

I've had this before where a sets been out of stock when I've pulled a GWP, think it was A Christmas Carol or something. Thankfully I know they still send the GWP but the backorder set may come late :sweet:

Saved Fawkes for now in the event they pull something similar next year!

@BacktoBricks didn't get a confirmation e-mail either or it showing up in my account yet, so I've saved the order number.

Edited by drewdotexe

If anyone is interested you can buy Dorms GWP separately on S@H for $20. Unfortunately it can't be found there via search bar but you could try to change set number for 40452 in the page address 

Edited by Flixter

15 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I did the chat and they've changed it so you have to go through a Chatbot first before getting a CS. According to 'Sophia' the robotic chatbot, if the order shows on my account then it's all okay. So long as my order gets shipped I'm okay, but yes CS is normally very good.

Edit: @drewdotexe Contacted CS, they said everything okay and will resend email. But so far nothing ... :facepalm:. I do wish I could visit an actual Lego store once in a while. The chess set is good - it got me playing chess and looks great in my display cabinet. Hope you can get it.

Did you check if the email address is correct?

23 minutes ago, Flixter said:

If anyone is interested you can buy Dorms GWP separately on S@H for $20. Unfortunately it can't be found there via search bar but you could try to change set number for 40452 in the page address 

I've found the page, but there's no buy button on there for me at least. It does list it as €19,99 though (we use a comma as a decimal separator). Pretty sure all sets including GWPs have a page. Even retired ones. Maybe not all though.

Edited by Salix

49 minutes ago, Salix said:

Did you check if the email address is correct?

Yes all correct. Chatted to an actual CS person, they said account and order all okay, but they would resend email. However, over 12 hours later and still nothing (not in junk or any other folder.) I contacted CS about another order a week ago and they emailed me fine then so I don't know. So long as I get my order it's okay, but it will be annoying in the future if I never get order emails. I always screenshoot the order confirmation page anyway, because I know emails and orders can sometimes take a while to show on accounts, but it's simpler having an email if there's problems

@drewdotexe Hope yours showed up. And yey for getting the set! I know what you mean about spending more to get the GWP. I got a Advent Calendar to hit the GWP amount even though I already have one because I knew buying the GWP would cost me more than that anyway so why not get the AC and GWP for less. Those non-house Hogwarts robes are good as well. The day after the promo's release it also could be searched for on B+P and if you start adding up the pieces on there you easily get to £25. And even though Lego attributes a £17.99 worth to this 'free' item, it's going to £35 approx on ebay right now.

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes all correct. Chatted to an actual CS person, they said account and order all okay, but they would resend email. However, over 12 hours later and still nothing (not in junk or any other folder.) I contacted CS about another order a week ago and they emailed me fine then so I don't know. So long as I get my order it's okay, but it will be annoying in the future if I never get order emails. I always screenshoot the order confirmation page anyway, because I know emails and orders can sometimes take a while to show on accounts, but it's simpler having an email if there's problems

@drewdotexe Hope yours showed up. And yey for getting the set! I know what you mean about spending more to get the GWP. I got a Advent Calendar to hit the GWP amount even though I already have one because I knew buying the GWP would cost me more than that anyway so why not get the AC and GWP for less. Those non-house Hogwarts robes are good as well. The day after the promo's release it also could be searched for on B+P and if you start adding up the pieces on there you easily get to £25. And even though Lego attributes a £17.99 worth to this 'free' item, it's going to £35 approx on ebay right now.

My e-mail came through not long after I posted this. Really odd that you haven't got one, but sensible to get a screenshot.

I had the same mental gymnastics with the chess set which was the only way I was going to get close to £100 spend. The minifigs from the sets themselves are only around £10-£15 on BrickLink with postage, which would suit me. But the OH is going to teach me chess so I weighed that the set would actually have some value in terms of time spent using it.

Also I suspect the Chamber of Secrets set is being tucked away for Christmas, so might as well go all in on the new castle system :laugh: hence Fluffys Expensive Encounter + GWP, and save Fawkes incase of another GWP next year.

I now worry that, I'll end up loving the anniversary gold figures and want to grab Hogwarts Icons for the gold Dumbledore et al. The Hedwig is amazing but the rest of the set is so meh to me, the wand looks unfinished and the scarf is insulting :head_back:

In the words of Ron Weasley, next year I have got to sort out my priorities. Think I need to start taking this hobby in the minifig-only direction and for really showstopping sets only. The Diagon Alley + MOCs are the pride and joy of my collection, the castle is just too massive and oddly shaped to ever get an accurate representation I fear. Can fit all the minifigs in a big container at least which isn't taking up room, either in storage or on display.

Edited by drewdotexe

9 hours ago, Vindicare said:

For the polybag check out Target. I’ve been checking semi regularly for some time & it finally showed up here(one out of three stores). 

I check every time I go there or Walmart but no luck so far.  Hopefully once they put out their stocking stuffer displays I'll find it.

Edited by karrit

9 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

There's a Lego Harry Potter quiz up on The Wizarding World website.

Thanks for sharing. I'm a Wizarding World Whizz. :laugh:

@Roebuck I can't believe Marcos is advocating writing on Lego :laugh_hard:

41 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Does he explain in the video why they decided to make this set?

Marcos just calls it a 'celebratory art piece to mark the twentieth anniversary of Lego Harry Potter', but he doesn't go into why they chose an art piece as a celebratory marker rather than say an iconic building. 

5 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Marcos just calls it a 'celebratory art piece to mark the twentieth anniversary of Lego Harry Potter', but he doesn't go into why they chose an art piece as a celebratory marker rather than say an iconic building. 

Choices. :sceptic:

Something looks different about Marcos in the interview--- he's got hair now! I wonder if he got himself a transplant or did he pop a hair-piece on (like a minifig!)?

Edited by Ferder

3 hours ago, karrit said:

I check every time I go there or Walmart but no luck so far.  Hopefully once they put out their stocking stuffer displays I'll find it.

I checked online & when I went there was none out so I asked about them. It’s more fun coming upon them, but it may be worth checking the site too in case your store has them in the back also. 

So I am pretty happy. I placed an order on Bricklink for the great hall and got it for around 90. Shipping costs bring it up to around $130 but that is still not too far off what it retailed for. I’m currently rushing to get all the 2019 sets before they discontinue and feel like the only remaining 2018 set I may get is the Quidditch Match. 

very excited to announce I also managed to find the Whomping Willow on discount! I placed an order and will be picking it up today from my local Target. That set is ready to fly off shelves and be retired so the fact I managed to schedule a pick up while the set is somehow still available and on discount makes me very happy.

Now all I need to do is get these 2019 sets while they’re still available. Hoping some sort of Shriek Shack and mer people challenge makes its way to us eventually

Edited by cosmic

@cosmic I'm glad you got the GH and WW and at good prices too! I love the Whomping Willow tree build. 2019 was a great year with the Clocktower and GOF sets. I think the Beauxbatojs carriage was a hidden gem. I'd love to see a Shrieking Shack and to get a second task too. I've held off purchasing a Merman figure on the secondary market because they're so expensive, but the fact that the theme has become evergreen for the foreseeable gives me hope we'll get one at some point. I hope you manage to get the sets you want. :classic:

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

@cosmic I'm glad you got the GH and WW and at good prices too! I love the Whomping Willow tree build. 2019 was a great year with the Clocktower and GOF sets. I think the Beauxbatojs carriage was a hidden gem. I'd love to see a Shrieking Shack and to get a second task too. I've held off purchasing a Merman figure on the secondary market because they're so expensive, but the fact that the theme has become evergreen for the foreseeable gives me hope we'll get one at some point. I hope you manage to get the sets you want. :classic:

Thanks! I’m just rushing since I’m concerned the 2019 sets will discontinue soon. It would have been 2 years by now so its pst the normal shelf span, but the Great Hall and Whomping Willow were still available for most of 2021 so maybe the 2019 sets have a bit linger than I expect? Not looking to take chances.

Also I agree! The Goblet of Fire sets were incredible and its one of my favorite movies of the franchise along with Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows so there is definitely a need to have those in my collection. I must say though, the new Bellatrix was very disappointing to me. While I don’t own the Burrow just yet her lack of dress print, inaccurate face print that does not capture her essence, it was all a let down. I think the old dress slope print and old head from 2010 still do the character more justice than this design which is upsetting. Molly Weasley also felt like a step down to me as well.

8 minutes ago, cosmic said:

[…] the new Bellatrix was very disappointing to me. While I don’t own the Burrow just yet her lack of dress print, inaccurate face print that does not capture her essence, it was all a let down.

Agreed, but her CMF faceprint more than makes up for it :thumbup: Too bad they didn‘t use that one instead, now that CMF prints no longer have to be exclusive to them

On this topic and out of curiosity, what do y'all think are the best and worst figures from the theme so far? My favorite is CMF2 Dumbledore, and the worst is Molly (specifically the DA version, though it's not like the Burrow figure is much better).

On 10/29/2021 at 11:45 PM, Retro Brick Reviews said:

On this topic and out of curiosity, what do y'all think are the best and worst figures from the theme so far? My favorite is CMF2 Dumbledore, and the worst is Molly (specifically the DA version, though it's not like the Burrow figure is much better).

Nearly headless Nick in both forms is just such a delight. I need to rewatch the films but looking online it would appear there were scenes were he was a dull grey and some angles where he did look ghostly and lit up, so both figures seem to serve the purpose of representing him at different angles. I must say the Centaurs and all the Dumbledore figures have been exquisite as well. But its Nearly Headless Nick for me.

as for the worst, Hannah Abbot felt both really random and inaccurate, unsure what hairpiece I’d have chosen but she looks like a generic blonde rather than any particular character from the film. But I love Belltrix as a character and to need to order her rather expensive 2010 figure to complete her dress and face print is incredibly disappointing so definitely my pick for worst is Belatrix, because correcting her is expensive and I had the highest hopes of adding her since character wise she is my favorite villain of the franchise.

Edited by cosmic

4 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

My worst are now DA Ollivander, AC Griphook and the Wizard from the accessory pack because they all use the same torso. It's just lazy. I'm glad I have the mini DA Ollivander for some variation. But there are so many good ones to choose from ... I love the characters like Rosmerta and Fortescue that help flesh out the world, but also adore all the girls in their Yule Ball dresses because the prints are so vibrant and detailed. Overall a lot more best than bad. :classic:

@cosmic Here's a link to the current expected retirement plan (all could change at short notice obviously, but it gives you an idea.)

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-harry-potter-set-retiring-dates-2021/

Picking favourites is REALLY hard, there are so many amazing ones… My top 10 include Moody, Kingsley, Myrtle, McGonagall (Moments version), Gambon!Dumbledore from CMF S1, Hagrid, Azkaban!Bellatrix, both versions of Umbridge, and the centaurs :classic:

Least favourites? Can‘t say, even the „lesser“ minifigs are still better than your average minifig from other themes. Reusing faceprints (like Bruce Wayne’s for Lucius) is easily the biggest offender here, but if you ignore that, they‘re all still well-realised.