Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

6 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Look, generally I'd agree that LEGO's marketing decisions are questionable, but they're not going to pull some big reveal over a small freebie that was meant to be available for under two weeks. I still don't know what this is for, but the GWP wouldn't make sense.

Well, I was gonna say they can’t possibly be doing all this promo for a contest....but it looks like that’s exactly what it’s for. Hmph. 

5 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Personally I think it is really stupid marketing on LEGOs part. I loved Ninjago City when it came out, but on its own felt it was too expensive and passed on it. When Docks came out I didnt get it as it wasnt great on its own. I tried to get City and would have got both if the originals prices hadnt inflated so much. Now that Gardens is out its just getting ignored as I know it will just feel incomplete now. If these sets or even the first two had been out at the same time or overlapped, i would have bought both and had all 3 now. But because it didnt, i bought none. Thats like $1300 they lost from me and any other person in my position just because they did not overlap. The same thing will probably happen with Diagon Alley if its off the shelves before Gringotts.

I passed on City originally because of price too(but not the crazy Aussie price...I can only imagine). Even when Docks came out, still nope. Years later I finally decided to bite & bought both City & Docks in one swoop. So at least here in the States they were both on the shelf at the same time. 

I think they all stand on their own fine but they’re meant to be part of something bigger, just like Expert Modulars. I can see how the strategy is off putting. They really have to wow people with that first installment, but we don’t know if that’s gonna be it or not. If it ended at City personally I would’ve been okay with that as I felt they did a good job of smushing Ninjago City in a one-off. 

While DA feels incomplete without Gringotts since that’s a centerpiece of the Alley, I’m not overly bothered by it. Of course I want it but as I said before, the set itself isn’t hurting because of it. I’m sure it caused many people to not buy because they felt it was incomplete & aren’t sure if Gringotts is on the way. Then, as you said,  if it does later down the road & DA isn’t on the shelf...that’s potentially a lot of lost money to TLG. 

I kind of disagree with people's perspective on this. Gringotts will absolutely fly off of shelves, and that is regardless of whether or not DA is side by side it.

I think if LEGO put out DA and Gringotts within the same year, there would be current DA owners that would have instead skipped out on DA to buy just Gringotts instead. Now with a few years between the sets, consumers that bought DA can definitely afford Gringotts. As long as DA isn't retired when Gringotts releases, there will definitely be people that skipped out on DA that will ultimately buy both. 

1 hour ago, BrickFunatic said:

It's probably just a London thing, so all of us Brits who live on the other side of the country will miss out too.

I don't think so - London, Cardiff and Edinburgh are the physical locations of the clues, with the same clues available online from what I've read - not sure if brickfanz is a legit site though. 

7 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Personally I think it is really stupid marketing on LEGOs part. I loved Ninjago City when it came out, but on its own felt it was too expensive and passed on it. When Docks came out I didnt get it as it wasnt great on its own. I tried to get City and would have got both if the originals prices hadnt inflated so much. Now that Gardens is out its just getting ignored as I know it will just feel incomplete now. If these sets or even the first two had been out at the same time or overlapped, i would have bought both and had all 3 now. But because it didnt, i bought none. Thats like $1300 they lost from me and any other person in my position just because they did not overlap. The same thing will probably happen with Diagon Alley if its off the shelves before Gringotts.

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

I passed on City originally because of price too(but not the crazy Aussie price...I can only imagine). Even when Docks came out, still nope. Years later I finally decided to bite & bought both City & Docks in one swoop. So at least here in the States they were both on the shelf at the same time. 

@chris6507

You realise the price for what you got in the city was absolutely amazing value (glad you didn't miss out Vindicare :) )? $300 for 4867 pieces (0.06cents per piece), a bucket load of unique figs, and a very playful set that doubles as a great display piece too. And that the set by itself was/is also still brilliant and *still* probably seen as the best of the 3? Let alone that no one knew at the time any more were going to be made, and yes, it stood very well as a set on its own, not needing any others to provide reason to purchase it. I was never into ninjago. But when this set came out? Jumped on it. I literally can't comprehend how you can criticise the price of city which was extremely good value for money and a very reasonable price, when you then go on to say you'd have happily spent $1300 on all 3.

Sorry, but that's all on you, not legos marketing or lack of overlap of sets. 

42 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

@Brick Clicker Any news on if the dorms GWP is coming to the UK?

Don't know for sure sadly but there hasn't really been much mention of it being cancelled for Europe and they'll want it running for this event taking place

17 minutes ago, drewdotexe said:

Even in the UK, another London event. At least Scotland and Wales got some look-in as they tend to get left out of stuff like this.

Bit stuffed in rural Yorkshire though :laugh:

Same!

9 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

Don't know for sure sadly but there hasn't really been much mention of it being cancelled for Europe and they'll want it running for this event taking place

Ok thanks.

27 minutes ago, drewdotexe said:

Even in the UK, another London event. At least Scotland and Wales got some look-in as they tend to get left out of stuff like this.

Bit stuffed in rural Yorkshire though :laugh:

It does say you can do it from home by solving clues online.

10 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

It does say you can do it from home by solving clues online.

It's more that if i lived in one of those cities I'd find it way more interesting/exciting actually going out and looking for clues as opposed to plopping myself down in front of a computer screen :laugh: Not quite as fun but I may give it a crack.

Edited by drewdotexe

Excited for the treasure hunt that I'll hopefully be able to do in person, shame it's not more widespread.

On a completely unrelated note - Promobricks has released descriptions of the next CMF series which will include a snow warrior with "Durmstrang-style" hat.  Sounds to me like this could have been chosen very much with a Karkaroff figure in mind, would make sense if we more onto years 3 and 4 next year.

2 hours ago, drewdotexe said:

It's more that if i lived in one of those cities I'd find it way more interesting/exciting actually going out and looking for clues as opposed to plopping myself down in front of a computer screen :laugh: Not quite as fun but I may give it a crack.

Oh totally, we live in south Devon so just popping in the car and heading for Cardiff to do a treasure hunt isn’t something we can do on a whim. At least it’s something that can be achieved here, not like trying to win anything from the NY or SD comic cons.

1 hour ago, Yope said:

On a completely unrelated note - Promobricks has released descriptions of the next CMF series which will include a snow warrior with "Durmstrang-style" hat.  Sounds to me like this could have been chosen very much with a Karkaroff figure in mind, would make sense if we more onto years 3 and 4 next year.

I thought the same thing when I was watching Brick Clicker's video on it. :moar: Now, if only the dog had been a boarhound...

1 hour ago, Yope said:

Excited for the treasure hunt that I'll hopefully be able to do in person, shame it's not more widespread.

I agree with this for year 4, but I don't see why it's "moving onto" year 3 when by next summer we'll have already gotten 2 POA sets in the new style, one of them rather large, and there isn't much else aside from remakes they can do for PoA (aside from one glaring exception). Seems more likely to me that they'll have the summer wave be primarily focused on GoF and OotP, thus making the last year of this new edition of the line finally open to featuring those hallowed (geddit) year 7 sets.

To be clear, this isn't wishlisting as much as it is the fact that LEGO's not going to squeeze out 3 more PoA sets this summer when we already have 2- that would make PoA vastly outnumber all the other films.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I agree with this for year 4, but I don't see why it's "moving onto" year 3 when by next summer we'll have already gotten 2 POA sets in the new style, one of them rather large, and there isn't much else aside from remakes they can do for PoA (aside from one glaring exception). Seems more likely to me that they'll have the summer wave be primarily focused on GoF and OotP, thus making the last year of this new edition of the line finally open to featuring those hallowed (geddit) year 7 sets.

To be clear, this isn't wishlisting as much as it is the fact that LEGO's not going to squeeze out 3 more PoA sets this summer when we already have 2- that would make PoA vastly outnumber all the other films.

Um, because in 2022 we WILL be moving onto years 3 and 4 (as the January wave proves, and will likely follow in the summer). Pretty sure that's what Yope meant. And there is still plenty of Y3 sets they could squeeze out. Save Y5 for it's own wave in 2023 IMO.

Edited by BrickFunatic

3 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

...and there isn't much else aside from remakes they can do for PoA ...

Shrieking Shack, Sirius escape from Dark Tower, DADA class with Lupin, Leaky Cauldron... they could also remake og sets like First Buckbeak flight or Marauders Map set with Snape.

Edited by Textorix

I guess the only way we will know if the Dorms is coming to the UK is if we check the website at midnight on Sunday. But then we won't know if the Hermione poly is a store GWP. Grr.

Edited by BrickFunatic

5 hours ago, Yope said:

The lute means we can sort of complete the book list of Weird Sisters too - in Lego scale the violin isn't too out of scale to be a Cello. 

It's a really interesting looking CMF line up! 

1 hour ago, Textorix said:

Shrieking Shack, Sirius escape from Dark Tower, DADA class with Lupin, Leaky Cauldron... they could also remake og sets like First Buckbeak flight or Marauders Map set with Snape.

1. The set I was referring to.

2. A generic piece of Hogwarts architecture that people would whinge about.

3. We got a DADA classroom in the last big Hogwarts set and a Moments version next January.

4. They wouldn't do it out of scale with DA, so it's not happening as a regular set atm.

5. There aren't any builds for that scene, so a set is very unlikely.

6. Generic Hogwarts set that everyone would whinge about.

In any case, I'm not saying there definitely won't be some of these sets next summer, what I'm saying is that, as of January 1, the 2021 soft reboot will have 3 PS/SS sets, 3 CoS sets, and 2 PoA sets. It doesn't make sense to me to have the summer wave then be split between PoA and GoF, as that would be 3/3/5/3. What makes more sense is that, with PoA already accelerated along, they'll do only one more set to make it even with the first two films, then move to GoF and OotP (1 PoA, 3 GoF, 2 OotP). Then finish OotP with one more set January 2023, and have that summer wave be equally split between HBP and DH: That's 3 sets for every year, and, considering that LEGO HP has always worked in 2-or-3 year plans, that sounds like a pretty smart 3-year plan to me.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

23 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I may be wrong but isn't the 'three year plan' model for new themes to establish them? I wasn't aware that Star Wars or Superheroes still worked to that formula, although for something like Ninjago it may make sense. Don't think it's worth starting the evergreen theme debate though :look:

HP has also been slightly more complex to plan with the FB films coming out and being pushed back.

The three year plans can also change - I think it's the case that the final LotR wave was cancelled, but also the first HP AC was rushed through. 

Whatever the case, Lego wants to make good sets and I think there is plenty of material left in the first four films to make lots of sets with films 5-8 being relatively untapped. However I don't think 'generic' areas of Hogwarts would necessarily be a problem. 

So are the promos 100% not coming in the US or is there still a chance?