Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

24 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I was never fully drawn to the Diagon Alley set. Mainly because they didn't include Gringotts which I think is one of the most important and iconic buildings.

Yup, I was hoping Hogwarts Icons Colletion (or whatever it’s called) would be a Gringotts’ Bank set this year. Without the bank, Diagon Alley is just…missing a big centerpiece.  Not to mention, Leaky Cauldron. 

However, if you face two stores to another two stores to form an alley,  that was magical to me. It’s like you were a part of Wizarding World, in my opinion. 

Regardless of what I said, I respect your opinion. 

I know some people like this set :pir-sick: But everytime i see it it feel like its just a real bad dream i need to wake up from. It just doesnt feel real for some reason!

If it wasnt for the damn gold figures i started collecting,  i would have just pretended it didnt exist.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:56 AM, krimimimi said:

You think the 2021 CoS Great Hall was an improvement over the 2018 GH or the original CoS?

Yes, I do think that the 2021 Great Hall is a big improvement over the bland and inaccurate 2018 version, and potentially even an upgrade to the classic 2010 version. The exterior is a great front facade, and the interior feels far more "home-y" (if that makes sense) while also having a nice attic space, better colors, and far improved stability (the 2018 version has an incomplete feeling interior, colors that range from boring to garish, and there are several places that inevitably break or start to break whenever you move it. Not to mention that it's permanently attached to that sad excuse for a Staircase Tower). 

Moving away from a controversial opinion that nobody will agree with, how do y'all rank the golden figures now that they're all revealed? My ranking is:

9. Ron (While I love the hairpiece because pearl gold is PERFECT for Luke Skywalker's hair color, the generic face print looks nothing like Ron)

8. Snape (Face looks weird, they should've just done a new design instead of making a symmetrical version of the more exaggerated 2018 face. Thankfully, these two are the only ones I think are below average)

7. Harry (He's fine, but nothing really great. I don't think his hairpiece looks as nice in gold as some of the others do)

6. Minerva (Looks nice, but shares the same issue as Harry where I just don't think the hat/hair translates super well into pearl gold)

5. Hermione (These last five are all near-perfect. This is probably my favorite hairpiece of the four we got originally, and I think the symmetrical face looks better than that of the standard young Hermione)

4. Quirrell (Fantastic face print, and I love that it's double-sided. That said, it annoys me that the printed turban sash on the torso doesn't match up colour-wise with the turban piece)

3. Hagrid (Looks incredible, would certainly be my favorite if not for the bottom of his torso piece being printed super-light when it should be darker than the previous layer)

2. Voldemort (Looks incredible, absolutely no complaints here)

1. Dumbledore (Was there ever any doubt?)

While I agree that combination of the two great hall sets into one looks amazing!!! There is one problem. Without significant MOCing and the associated parts. It wont connect too well with the previous 2018-2020 sets. Not sure if anyone has had any genius revelations, but don't think it would go together too well. Otherwise I would have bought the instructions in a heartbeat.

9 hours ago, mark1991t said:

The video is up now and its an extension to the minifigure stand, so you can put up all other six figures. 

I have little interest in the golden figs, but that was a nice detail, now I know where to put them :sweet:

Stores overhere in the Netherlands still don't have Let's Play Quidditch (or at least not the ones where I looked), but I saw Amazon got the North American edition so I ordered that one. Minifigure looks really nice. Still a shame we didn't get a Quidditch Accessory Pack this year. :(

12 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Yes, I do think that the 2021 Great Hall is a big improvement over the bland and inaccurate 2018 version, and potentially even an upgrade to the classic 2010 version. The exterior is a great front facade, and the interior feels far more "home-y" (if that makes sense) while also having a nice attic space, better colors, and far improved stability (the 2018 version has an incomplete feeling interior, colors that range from boring to garish, and there are several places that inevitably break or start to break whenever you move it. Not to mention that it's permanently attached to that sad excuse for a Staircase Tower). 

Moving away from a controversial opinion that nobody will agree with...

(emphasis mine) Not at all, RBR. I appreciated your take. I'm definitely in camp 2018, and the sets I have from the 2021 Hogwarts line (Fluffy, PPM, and FFL) have been extremely frustrating in their propensity to fall apart, but I haven't got the CoS yet either. I find the different views and reviews helpful, particularly as I'm only reacting to the set pics. Between what you and a few others have said, the CoS's minifigs I really want, and the MOC idea Modal shared, I can absolutely see myself ordering the CoS when the autumn GWPs go live. (And thanks for sharing that @Modal. It really helps knowing there's a good plan B if the set doesn't quite appeal.)  

(OT Was at the local lego store yesterday, the GWP sailboat (which I didn't get) is very cute. I wish they'd post better pics of GWPs online.)

@Salix Hey there, next country over. I ordered mine a few weeks ago at amazon. It wasn't terrible in price, 8 EUR, and if I'd gone for a different source, albeit as a pre-order, then I could even have saved 2 EUR. (Instant gratification scotched that... :laugh:)

Edited by krimimimi

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

@Salix Hey there, next country over. I ordered mine a few weeks ago at amazon. It wasn't terrible in price, 8 EUR, and if I'd gone for a different source, albeit as a pre-order, then I could even have saved 2 EUR. (Instant gratification scotched that... :laugh:)

Nice. :)

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

(OT Was at the local lego store yesterday, the GWP sailboat (which I didn't get) is very cute. I wish they'd post better pics of GWPs online.)

What does OT refer to?

In regards to the D2C set, my cousin told me out of the blue that if he would get a HP set, it would be this one. So it does have some appeal even to non-HP fans.

Not sure why none of the designers noticed this during the desing process but the word "Titillandus" on the acceptance letter's Hogwarts emblem is misspelled as "Titillandos". 

5 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Not sure why none of the designers noticed this during the desing process but the word "Titillandus" on the acceptance letter's Hogwarts emblem is misspelled as "Titillandos". 

Eh, LEGO misspellings are pretty par for the course. I'm still not over "Sheild Eyes From Light", myself.

45 minutes ago, Salix said:

What does OT refer to?

In regards to the D2C set, my cousin told me out of the blue that if he would get a HP set, it would be this one. So it does have some appeal even to non-HP fans.

OT = Off topic, as a generic GWP isn't HP lego. (Still, it looked boring in the little thumbnail online, it was nicely done IRL.)

An HP but not lego mad friend of mine said the same. She's seriously considering it, so while I'd have preferred a Gringotts, I don't mind them spacing them out, and it might have been a clever choice for gaining new fans for the theme.

Edited by krimimimi

2 hours ago, Salix said:

Stores overhere in the Netherlands still don't have Let's Play Quidditch (or at least not the ones where I looked), but I saw Amazon got the North American edition so I ordered that one. Minifigure looks really nice. Still a shame we didn't get a Quidditch Accessory Pack this year. :(

I bought it via Bol.com, it is available in NL.

Do you have any predictions for 2022? Or maybe even confirmed rumors? Are there any hopes that we will get Deathly hallows sets in the future or a large number of sets with villains?

@El Primo to the best of my knowledge, none yet for 2022, and the designers had indicated DH wasn't a priority [<- can someone use a better word for that?] as it didn't seem to lend itself to toy making as well as the earlier films / books. My completely uniformed bet would be that they'll do something in 2023 to mark the 25th 'anniversary' of the Battle of Hogwarts, and when the inevitable Gringotts comes, I'm pretty sure we'll see the dragon in a set (hopefully something separate, like the Horntail) that allows the trio to escape from the bank. 

ETA: oh, but they've also confirmed that the 2021 style is to be seen as a soft reboot of the series, so presumably any future sets will be in that style. Troll in the Bathroom, Second Task, and Durmstrang Ship are still missing from the earlier book sets, so maybe those if you're looking for guesses.

Edited by krimimimi

2 hours ago, mark1991t said:

I bought it via Bol.com, it is available in NL.

That's the same one as Amazon sells. :P

Edited by Salix

1 hour ago, El Primo said:

Do you have any predictions for 2022? Or maybe even confirmed rumors? Are there any hopes that we will get Deathly hallows sets in the future or a large number of sets with villains?

I don’t know when is a good timing for predications. But, in my knowledge, I don’t know anything about confirmed rumors. However, I would love to see some Deathly Hallows sets AND Gringotts Bank. With 20th anniveary set, I’m not sure which path that leads us to - return to the 2018-2020 Harry Potter or continue with the anniveary and some Hogwarts Icons Collection stuffs? I dunno…

59 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

@El Primo to the best of my knowledge, none yet for 2022, and the designers had indicated DH wasn't a priority [<- can someone use a better word for that?] as it didn't seem to lend itself to toy making as well as the earlier films / books.

'As marketable' or 'as interesting' are the words I would use. 

1 hour ago, chrisincanada said:

Does anyone know if the chess set will be going to Amazon or is it an exclusive to a certain store or just Lego.com?

Thanks.

In the US it's a Target (and Lego.com) exclusive.

35 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

In the US it's a Target (and Lego.com) exclusive.

I am in Canada so I am guessing it won't hit amazon here and will maybe go to chapters or something???

52 minutes ago, chrisincanada said:

I am in Canada so I am guessing it won't hit amazon here and will maybe go to chapters or something???

It's gone to John Lewis (a department store) as an exclusive in the UK so I would assume Canada would see something similar.

15 hours ago, chris6507 said:

While I agree that combination of the two great hall sets into one looks amazing!!! There is one problem. Without significant MOCing and the associated parts. It wont connect too well with the previous 2018-2020 sets. Not sure if anyone has had any genius revelations, but don't think it would go together too well. Otherwise I would have bought the instructions in a heartbeat.

Clearly true, but the way that this elevates (both literally and figuratively) the 2018 Great Hall, I think it's well worth it. Either as a standalone, in which case, the CT and AT can be separate, but close-by. Or making things continuous by MOCing connections. I could see it still working well to have just a small slope down from the sides of the raised Great Hall, and suspect that the WW set could take the modifications pretty easily, and need a relatively small number of stone parts to bring it down, similar to what they've done with the Fluffy Encounter set. Doing that the the Clock Tower might be slightly trickier, if you have it to the left of the Great Hall, but much easier if you move the Yule Ball corridor parts over to the other side.

2021 being a reboot of the theme is what I was afraid of. I'm hoping it's a one-off anniversary year deal, but it looks like it's not. While I'll gladly get more Hogwarts sets in the 2021 style, I far prefer the 2018-2020 ones since the new exteriors are extremely lacking as others have pointed out. I do want more Goblet of Fire sets, though...

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

Clearly true, but the way that this elevates (both literally and figuratively) the 2018 Great Hall, I think it's well worth it. Either as a standalone, in which case, the CT and AT can be separate, but close-by. Or making things continuous by MOCing connections. I could see it still working well to have just a small slope down from the sides of the raised Great Hall, and suspect that the WW set could take the modifications pretty easily, and need a relatively small number of stone parts to bring it down, similar to what they've done with the Fluffy Encounter set. Doing that the the Clock Tower might be slightly trickier, if you have it to the left of the Great Hall, but much easier if you move the Yule Ball corridor parts over to the other side.

+1 on that. The combined set is just too good to pass up. 

6 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

'As marketable' or 'as interesting' are the words I would use. 

Thanks. :classic: (When you translate back and forth, things sometimes get morphed.)