Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Edit: I don't want to be so negative on the top of the page lol so just gonna delete this. I can see why some people would really dig this, just not for me.

Edited by Modal

31 minutes ago, Modal said:

I saved everyone some time. I just don’t see the appeal to have all this stuff in LEGO when you could just…buy the real thing

https://harrypottershop.co.uk/collections/trunks

I get that you can say that about all LEGO but I think where LEGO really shines is it’s buildings and play features that you can’t get with other toys/models.

The "real" thing would be an actual snow owl, not a plushy teddy bear for 200 £. Also just because you don't like it, doesn't mean there won't be a lot of HP fans who will like it. This is a set that appeals to people that don't just want tiny toy doll houses on display and this opens the line and revenue up for another kind of collector

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I find it funny how close a lot of us actually got in our guessing game. The only items nobody's seen coming were the scarves and the Hogwarts letter, the others have popped up in many speculative lists. Oh, and Hedwig of course, with the exception of @Brick Clicker.

...though I'm not sure he counts, given his access to intel :tongue:

Yeah that's why I wondered if Icons collection was really the best name for this set when you were all sepculating over the objects and what's actually included in the set. I'm happy to see this has been received a lot better than I imagined 

4 hours ago, Brick Clicker said:

So remember when I rumoured that giant Hedwig back in Febuary :wink::shrug_oh_well:

I remember I thought it was a stupid and highly unlikely rumour, turns out you where right after all :tongue:

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

No I meant there was a rumour a couple of years ago after a physical toy fair about a large Hedwig, but it never happened and got put down to crossed wires or something.

I t was the flying one so it happened :wink:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nobody talking about how magnificent Hedwig looks?! The previous version was already great, but the new one wipes the floor with it :laugh: No exaggeration, this has to be the best animal build they‘ve ever released!

She looks fantastic! :drool:

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

I've not really gauged the size of this but will it look okay with Fawkes? 

Fawkes will not look OK with this set is more right to say I think :wink:

Minifigwise it is a easy pass for me, however the set look amazing especially the owl, but everything else also except maybe the point of the wand is excellent :shrug_oh_well: I told you it would be great no matter what it was, and even if you do not like the set you can not say with a strait face that it is a bad looking set :tongue:

I think it’s a great display piece. Hedwig looks fantastic. Love the pile of books & potion box. I can appreciate them thinking outside the box & giving us something different. The buildable Frog Card with Golden minifigs is the cherry on top. 

2 hours ago, Seaber said:

I've not really gauged the size of this but will it look okay with Fawkes? 

I assume that next year, 2022 D2C will be another Icons set with Fawkes and Dumbledore's office objects. 

I am very surprised how great this looks. I don't think i'd be disappointed at ALL if it wasn't for Gringotts. With this, it definitely is on a want list now. 

Edited by Prometheus87

I think it‘s a good opportunity to thank all of the leakers and informants (particularly @Falconfan1414, @lego_guyon02, & @Brick Clicker) for the intel you guys provided throughout the year :thumbup:

Thanks to you, we got prepared reasonably early for what the sets, including the D2C, actually are instead of getting hyped up for something that’s not happening anytime soon. I don’t want to imagine what would’ve happened today if we were still expecting a DA expansion :grin:

I don't know who to trust anymore. After everyone talked smack about this set and prepare to be disappointed....umm, that set looks riddikulus! I can't wait to pick it up. I had ZERO expectactions and was hoping to actually save some money since I don't care about the golden figures, but now I need that set...grr. I still need to pick up most of the 2021 HP waves and now the new Marvel stuff and the other Ideas and Creator stuff I don't have...I need more money I guess...

I like the small Hedwig, but this one looks better. The bottles of potions look awesome. The books are great. Now I'll need a larger version of MBoM to go with them.

Another buildable Hedwig? Well, it’s a shame that we don’t get Diagon Alley expansion this year. However… with some objects around Hedwig, it looks really neat.  Details are just amazing. 3 golden minfigures? Well, I’m not really interested in collecting golden minifigures myself. Maybe it’s hard and easy pass for me. My wallet would sigh out of relief. :)

Anyways, thank you, @Falconfan1414, @lego_guyon02 and @Brick Clicker for the intel you can provide as best you can this year. I greatly appreciate this. 

I like how the objects can just be added onto the Hedwig on the books with jumper tiles so you can have a cluttered looking stack of objects below Hedwig or a more clean looking display which I'll probably do then do some modification to the golden minifigure stand to add the other 6 to the front of it so then I can have the all displayed together.

The Icons set is a really nice display piece, but a pass for me.

I'll second what a few others have said. I had already pretty much decided that this set was not for me, but after seeing the pictures: full 180 degrees. This is the best Harry Potter set of the year for me, will probably buy it right away when it's released.

I agree with the general sentiment that this is far better than I expected, and the design is impeccable.

That said it is an easy pass for me.   I feel like the lego designers did an amazing job turning a bunch of bad ideas into art pieces, but it doesn't change the fact that whomever planned out the wave and decided what sets to make royally missed the mark.

Not a day 1 buy, but definitely one I'll be picking up at some point. Hedwig is gorgeous. The golden figs are great. I'd rather have had Gringott's, but if we get it eventually it's no big deal. I had no expectations for this Icons set and now I love it. Thanks to all the leakers for prepping us. Time to start getting excited for next year (oh so far away...)!

2 hours ago, karrit said:

I'm glad I didn't jump on the doom & gloom band wagon that followed the initial vague mentions and speculations of what this set was going to be.

For real. That’s why I stopped reading this thread for awhile when the summer wave was being speculated about. Reading all the complaints of how awful the wave was going to be from people who never saw a picture bit old real fast. And it happened again with this set. 

2 hours ago, Modal said:

I saved everyone some time. I just don’t see the appeal to have all this stuff in LEGO when you could just…buy the real thing

https://harrypottershop.co.uk/collections/trunks

I get that you can say that about all LEGO but I think where LEGO really shines is it’s buildings and play features that you can’t get with other toys/models.

No you didn’t. Speaking for myself, I don’t buy that other stuff. No other toys or sculptures, just LEGO. 

Eh, it all kind of looks cool, but only the Hedwig looks like a cool build.

Tbh I do really like the chocolate frog card build. Glad to see a golden Dumbledore, McGonagal and Hagrid too.

Had to let this one sit with me for a bit...

While I think it looks great and well-designed etc, it's not only not for me but also adds to my growing concern about this theme in light of what I personally want out of Harry Potter LEGO. We know that it's the designers who tend to pitch the ideas that wind up becoming sets, and it seems therefore that the designers are losing interest or confidence in just making traditional LEGO play sets. We already got three non playsets this year, and four playset adjacent sets with the Moments sets, and now we get another big one.

I'm not trying to extrapolate too much from one set alone, but 2021 has been a year with only one great playset in my opinion (Hogsmeade), which hurts after three years filled with terrific ones. There are other sets with good stuff and good value, and I like the Fawkes set, but it's not like years past.

This total display piece D2C simply adds to my lack of confidence in seeing sets I want in this theme going forward; namely, cool stuff based on Deathly Hallows and not boxy Hogwarts sets that look terrible from the outside.

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

While I think it looks great and well-designed etc, it's not only not for me but also adds to my growing concern about this theme in light of what I personally want out of Harry Potter LEGO. We know that it's the designers who tend to pitch the ideas that wind up becoming sets, and it seems therefore that the designers are losing interest or confidence in just making traditional LEGO play sets. We already got three non playsets this year, and four playset adjacent sets with the Moments sets, and now we get another big one.

I'm not trying to extrapolate too much from one set alone, but 2021 has been a year with only one great playset in my opinion (Hogsmeade), which hurts after three years filled with terrific ones. There are other sets with good stuff and good value, and I like the Fawkes set, but it's not like years past.

This total display piece D2C simply adds to my lack of confidence in seeing sets I want in this theme going forward; namely, cool stuff based on Deathly Hallows and not boxy Hogwarts sets that look terrible from the outside.

Yea I hate to be so cynical but once we start getting 2022 rumors I think we'll have a better idea of where this theme is going. Personally, I don't think this bodes well. I'll stick with other themes then.

I'm honestly surprised at how well this set is being received here. Maybe it's because everyone had low expectations, but even though it's well-designed I still don't understand why a random stack of life-size builds was made. When I heard the D2C would be buildable objects I was hoping for something like the Horcruxes or the founders' objects (although I doubted that would happen because making a stable Sword of Gryffindor would be too difficult). I've just got completely mixed feelings on this set. I'm going to buy it and I really like certain parts of it, but I also intensely dislike other aspects. Part of that is because of the other sets in the theme - why give us a small displayable Hedwig if there's going to be a much better one a year later, and why skip Gringotts when it's so conspicuously absent from last year's Diagon Alley?

I like the displayable HP sets LEGO has rolled out so far, but I have to agree with @Clone OPatra about the direction of the theme in general. I don't want half of the sets every year to be display objects. We got the Art mosaics, Fawkes, Harry & Hermione, and now this Hogwarts Icons set in the same year, not to mention the Wizard's Chess and Hogwarts Moments sets which are playable but not at all like regular sets. It's kind of overkill at this point IMO. I'm crossing my fingers for some great Deathly Hallows sets next year but I'm worried we aren't going to get any. 

Sorry if this has already been answered, but where's the golden Dumbledore design from? It looks different from the Dumbledore's we've gotten so far, or am I forgetting one? All the other golden figures are based on normal figures right? So why not this one? On a sidenote, happy to be able to skip a set this year, not gonna need my wallet anymore for storage after this amazing year of sets in (almost) all themes.

While I personally don’t like the buildable objects, if they do sell well and help keep the Harry Potter line alive, then I’ll accept it as a “necessary evil”. I’d much rather have a couple of good sets that round out what we’re missing then having no sets at all. Because if we are excluding DH since Lego doesn’t seem so keen on making, you could fit in a singular wave.

1) Shrieking Shack

2) 2nd Task/Dumstrang Ship

3) Ministry Battle

4) Inferi Cave 

5) Gringott’s/Borgin & Burke’s D2C

I see the buildable objects as a way for Lego to keep an imo, not an evergreen theme evergreen. Throw in a bunch of remakes and more of the new modular Hogwarts extensions as they have been doing, they have content for the next five years at least. Maybe eventually they’ll throw in some more less likely sets like 12 Grimmauld’s Place to test the waters. Also means more spread out purchases for me, which is totally fine since there are so many other themes to collect as well. Honestly I’m just thankful for the first three years and while I thought the 2021 wave didn’t stack up as well to waves prior, I really do love the new modular Hogwarts. 

Edited by RODDY

45 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Like you I'm not going to base too much on one set, but what screams to me with this set is how Lego seems to be really pushing the 'Lego as trendy adult art' concept. And whilst sets like these certainly have a market and I do think the set is fantastic in its own right, I'm hoping they don't start to overshadow the great playsets that we have also seen in the past few years. Whilst I think the pandemic has influenced Lego to really capitalise on the adult market, I hope they don't forget that the HP theme started with and has grown so popular on the fantastic playsets and not on purely trendy art pieces.

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Yea I hate to be so cynical but once we start getting 2022 rumors I think we'll have a better idea of where this theme is going. Personally, I don't think this bodes well. I'll stick with other themes then.

I am very interested to start hearing about next year. I think next year will really show us where the theme is going.

Who know's what kind of set makes sense on the market. Lego looks like they wanna go away from traditional sets - maybe they are wrong but maybe we are a minority here and for many collectors space has run out and they won't get any more 300€ builds with whatever 20 figures. This set or the nanoscale Hogwarts was pulling many of my friends who never purchased any Lego sets ever. So maybe it's a gamble by Lego to reach a different audience or maybe it's a safe thing.

I think it looks phenomenal and much more interesting than the bland DA.