Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Woah, hey, that looks really good actually. Very nice display piece - not sure whether I would have preferred this over Gringotts (I probably would have preferred the bank tbh) but this looks much better than I thought. I was expecting an Assault on Hoth situation with a bunch of disconnected builds, but the overall composition of this set makes for a pretty impressive standalone display piece.

Not gonna lie that picture of the model writing their name on the acceptance letter really bothers me for some reason, why would you write on a LEGO piece like that? :laugh_hard:

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nobody talking about how magnificent Hedwig looks?! The previous version was already great, but the new one wipes the floor with it :laugh: No exaggeration, this has to be the best animal build they‘ve ever released!

Definitely the best part of the set. If it had been sold seperately (maybe with a small-ish perch) I probably would've bought it.

3 minutes ago, Ajf350d said:

I hope the letter is NOT stickers though!

It's printed.

Looks very cool, very much doubt I'll buy it. I'd quite like the beard and two hats in gold. Also, maybe the Hogwarts crest on the 8x16? plate, otherwise there isn't much here for me. 

However as a display piece is it great. Makes the MBOM and Moments books look a bit Chibi though :laugh:

The Snitch looks like a very clever build, although I think I would rather display it sitting on the pile rather than having a rod up its backside.

8 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Not gonna lie that picture of the model writing their name on the acceptance letter really bothers me for some reason, why would you write on a LEGO piece like that? :laugh_hard:

I agree, but where is this pic? I can't see it on IG.

While I have no interest in purchasing this set, it’s really well done and the designers deserve credit for building a very nice looking model. In hindsight it makes sense to make an all-out-designed Hedwig the centerpiece, just an incredible animal model, which alone could draw some folks.

Will the Snitch fit the maxifig Harry’s hand? I haven’t counted the studs.

1 minute ago, BacktoBricks said:

There were 2 lifestyle pics going around in the initial IG story leaks. Since falconfan said that they were not safe they disappeared rather quickly

2 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Torontolegolover is one of several accounts to have posted it.

1 minute ago, Metanoios said:

There were 2 lifestyle pics going around in the initial IG story leaks. Since falconfan said that they were not safe they disappeared rather quickly

1 minute ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Torontolegolover is one of several accounts to have posted it.

Found it. Thanks!

I don’t know how to properly phrase this but while I love some of the individual builds like Hedwig or the chocolate frog and the card, the whole thing just doesn’t come off as a Lego set. It feels like a bust and feels way too smooth. It definitely does look better than what I was imagining but it still just not for me. Wish they released a Gringott’s instead. 

Edited by RODDY

At this point just get a model of these objects instead of making it out of LEGO. I guess this is the direction LEGO wants to go with Harry Potter AFOL stuff, just incredibly disappointing all around.  

Edited by Modal

2 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I'll just say what I've been thinking for a while: throwing a few random objects together doesn't make for a good set. Hard and extremely easy pass.

I wouldn't say they're too random. Books are one of the main objects in Hogwarts, just as wand and potions

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings on this. It's an incredible piece of LEGO art but it seems like something the Noble Collection would release as a sculpture, and I'd have absolutely no interest in a display piece like this if it wasn't LEGO. Hedwig is amazing but we just got a display model of her last year. The bottles and Snitch are my favorite builds and I like the look of the wand and the books, but building the books seems like it's going to be a major pain in the butt especially since they only exist to provide height for Hedwig's perch. The golden figures are incredible though! I was hoping for Dumbledore but I'm thrilled to see McGonagall and Hagrid here as well. The Chocolate Frog card stand is also very well done. I'll still get this set since I have enough VIP points to get it for free, but this isn't really a Harry Potter D2C I would have ever asked for. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings on this. It's an incredible piece of LEGO art but it seems like something the Noble Collection would release as a sculpture, and I'd have absolutely no interest in a display piece like this if it wasn't LEGO. Hedwig is amazing but we just got a display model of her last year. The bottles and Snitch are my favorite builds and I like the look of the wand and the books, but building the books seems like it's going to be a major pain in the butt especially since they only exist to provide height for Hedwig's perch. The golden figures are incredible though! I was hoping for Dumbledore but I'm thrilled to see McGonagall and Hagrid here as well. The Chocolate Frog card stand is also very well done. I'll still get this set since I have enough VIP points to get it for free, but this isn't really a Harry Potter D2C I would have ever asked for. 

I think that's the problem really, it's the recreation of something I wouldn't want to buy, golden figures are good. It shouldn't have took the place of the D2C set for Harry Potter.

I've got to say in two hours the set has grown on me a lot... it's gone from not picking it up at all to wanting it day one :laugh_hard:

I'm definitely buying this. This will be my first HP D2C, and it looks really nice. I don't own 2020 Hedwig or Diagon Alley so it's not another Hedwig build for me and it's not a missed Gringots opportunity for me either since I don't have DA. I have posted the pictures on Insta and tagged Lego so they are pretty much just on LEGOs insta. What's the price again?

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Has anybody done what the designers said and done the Lego feedback survey? I did it the other day for DA. I know we're only a few people, but if there is any chance of it helping inform future set choices it's worth it.

I did it for DA as well. I've said it is an excellent build, but with extensions, such as Gringotts, it will be much better. 

About the new set: I really like the look of it. Not what I was expecting after the rumors, but much better though. The chocolate frog was a given and I expected the Golden Snitch as well. Hedwig is the best LEGO Animal build I have ever seen. The figures are good, but I am a bit disappointed for net getting regular figs as well.

I have to say I find this set much more impressive than things like the Piano & Typewriter and all the large vehicles they put out each year.  I haven't gotten the other Hedwig or Fawkes yet so this seems way more interesting to me.  I  definitely have enough points accumulated to actually get it for "free".  Looking forward to the official reveal to see more pictures.  It is disappointing that in order to complete ones set of the golden minifigs you need to either buy this set or resort to paying ridiculous prices to third parties to get them.  I'm glad I didn't jump on the doom & gloom band wagon that followed the initial vague mentions and speculations of what this set was going to be.

I kind of get the complaints about it being a sculpture but I think it's a little more unique than that with all the removeable parts. If it was just called "Hedwig" or "Letter from Hogwarts" it would make more sense, but wouldn't explain some of the items.

I find it funny how close a lot of us actually got in our guessing game. The only items nobody's seen coming were the scarves and the Hogwarts letter, the others have popped up in many speculative lists. Oh, and Hedwig of course, with the exception of @Brick Clicker.

...though I'm not sure he counts, given his access to intel :tongue:

Well I think that set is outstanding and all of the Potterheads in our house would be delighted to own it.