Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes this too! And I can't help but think that an OOTP Ministry battle would make a good £20 set. The section with all the shelves crashing down and the prophecy globes flying everywhere. The part before Sirius dies or Harry gets possessed so no ethics there. Kids would love that surely? :laugh: Not that I think the 'too dark' argument stands anyway. Okay, maybe recreating the Inferi scene, as cool as it might look, would be unwise considering it essentially represents mass murder, but Lego has done the Graveyard Duel and Expeco Patronum sets and, whether they included Cedric in the set or not, means they have depicted a death scene and a scene where a guy nearly gets his soul sucked out. So I don't think it's the darkness exactly stopping them choosing things, it's just the marketability and recognisability of scenes. I think the problem with DH is that there is just a lot of jumping from this hilltop to that forest etc. Not that Lego has been forest shy with HP before. :tongue: But I see no reason why they won't cover the Battle of Hogwarts other than they may not know what castle section they can pair with the figures that they conclude is recognisable enough for the general market.

Also speaking of dogs, I still want a Fang. A new mould that is, with wobbly jowls and all. The poor thing was not a coward after all and I think he deserves some recognition! 

Actually one could argue that the "wholesome" first movie starts out with something much more horrendous than undead zombies, because the way the Dursleys are treating Harry in the movie (in the book descriptions it is even worse) would be classified as child abuse/maltreatment (in the physical and psychological sense). Undead corpses and evil wizards are all fictional and can't hurt any kid in the real world, but the phenomenon of child maltreatment depicted in this movie (and the first three in general) is very real and does in fact hurt some unfortunate kids around the world every day. So I think the argument could be made that the latter films are more "wholesome" and less dark because they have almost none of the real world problems of the first 3 books and the fantastical elements are in the forefront of the movie (4-7/8). Also the last book and movies include alot of heartwarming, positive and everyday scenes like a wedding, camping with friends, a school reunion, geocaching and a bank account withdrawal. The first film has the death scene of Harry's parents in the first 30 minutes of the exposition. There are only four on-screen death scenes in Deathly Hallows part 2 (Snape, Bellatrix, Nagini and Voldemort), all the others die off-screen. None of the good guys death scenes (Fred, Lupin, Tonks, ...) are in the theatrical cut, only the villains are explicitly shown.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, chris6507 said:

Also been wondering, is there anyone who actually likes the Chess set as a whole I cannot get over how basic and boring the board is. The builds are pretty average looking and from some reviews i've read the board is a bit small and cumbersome for playing chess. Genuinely curious if there's actually anyone who really likes it?

I do. I do like the real world items that they release & have had my eye on the regular chess set for some time, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Getting a Wizard chess set is even better in my eyes. Plus, it’s all for display anyways as I don’t play chess. :laugh:

5 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes this too! And I can't help but think that an OOTP Ministry battle would make a good £20 set. The section with all the shelves crashing down and the prophecy globes flying everywhere. The part before Sirius dies or Harry gets possessed so no ethics there. Kids would love that surely? :laugh: Not that I think the 'too dark' argument stands anyway. Okay, maybe recreating the Inferi scene, as cool as it might look, would be unwise considering it essentially represents mass murder, but Lego has done the Graveyard Duel and Expeco Patronum sets and, whether they included Cedric in the set or not, means they have depicted a death scene and a scene where a guy nearly gets his soul sucked out. So I don't think it's the darkness exactly stopping them choosing things, it's just the marketability and recognisability of scenes. I think the problem with DH is that there is just a lot of jumping from this hilltop to that forest etc. Not that Lego has been forest shy with HP before. :tongue: But I see no reason why they won't cover the Battle of Hogwarts other than they may not know what castle section they can pair with the figures that they conclude is recognisable enough for the general market.

Also speaking of dogs, I still want a Fang. A new mould that is, with wobbly jowls and all. The poor thing was not a coward after all and I think he deserves some recognition! 

With all the new dogs lately, we better get Fang! Everything else you said, yes, yes yes. I think the biggest drawback of DH is what/how would they make sets of. There’s a few, like Shell Cottage or Lovegood House, that could make good sets. But would kids really clamoring for a wedding tent set? I’m not so sure. But yeah, I don’t the excuse one for second. 

Both a Second task & Shrieking Shack are must haves. Especially the Shack, that was a big moment in the series & that set is looooong overdue for a refresher. 

I’ve got Chess set & Fluffy ordered(along with Fawkes), so I’m keeping my fingers crossed until they get here that my cards are good ones. 

I think the graveyard scene in GoF is the most intense of the entire franchise, and they've made a set of that, so I really hope Marcos' comment isn't Gospel.

I think they'll do a Hogwarts set next year to add to this year's modular version. I bet it will be based on POA as the Clock Tower was based on GoF. I imagine the exterior won't be based on any specific building, but the interior could have the divination classroom as Trelawney hasn't appeared since the 2018 CFM. I hope we get a Gryffindor Common Room, but they might do Common Room Moments sets in January (fingers crossed). I love speculating! 

15 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I think they'll do a Hogwarts set next year to add to this year's modular version. I bet it will be based on POA as the Clock Tower was based on GoF. I imagine the exterior won't be based on any specific building, but the interior could have the divination classroom as Trelawney hasn't appeared since the 2018 CFM. I hope we get a Gryffindor Common Room, but they might do Common Room Moments sets in January (fingers crossed). I love speculating! 

It will be interesting to see what they do with the castle next year. I think Marcos has made it quite clear that this year's castle was not meant to be an anniversary standalone, but instead a soft reboot, so going back to the same castle sections is clearly not off the table. That being said the Great Hall was supposed to be retired sooner than it was, but, I assume due to sheer popularity, the production was extended so that it is still on the shelves now alongside the Chamber Of Secrets. It is however meant to be retiring from this July meaning the crossover period is limited. On the other hand the Clock Tower is not said to be retiring until December 2022. Now I know these lists are not official gospel, but they are coming from what I think we consider as reliable sources. So that would suggest to me that next year's castle section will not be Clocktower related because otherwise the dates would make for a half a year crossover of similar products. Nor would it be Astronomy Tower because again that will still be on the shelves. Of course they could just provide more modular sections to add to this year's castle structure, but I just can't see them leaving out a big castle set. Like you say, speculating is such fun. :sweet:

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Plus, it’s all for display anyways as I don’t play chess. :laugh:

With all the new dogs lately, we better get Fang! Everything else you said, yes, yes yes. I think the biggest drawback of DH is what/how would they make sets of. There’s a few, like Shell Cottage or Lovegood House, that could make good sets. But would kids really clamoring for a wedding tent set? I’m not so sure. But yeah, I don’t the excuse one for second. 

Both a Second task & Shrieking Shack are must haves. Especially the Shack, that was a big moment in the series & that set is looooong overdue for a refresher. 

Neither did I until I got the set. Now I've actually played chess ... And won!

Yes exactly. Unfortunately I think Grimmauld Place falls in to that category too, unless Lego work out how to do a feature where is emerges from in between two buildings. Now that might get kids' attention.

I think Lego must know Lego Harry Potter has a big adult audience as well. Things like Grimmauld Place and the Ministry (and even the Lovegood and Malfoy houses) would be great D2Cs, even if they wouldn't translate into playsets. I would argue they're more iconic to the universe than the Daily Bugle is to the marvel universe. And the Battle of Hogwarts totally lends itself to a big playset, even if you just focus on the less violent aspects (the knights and giants, the bridge and Harry and Voldemort's dual). 

Edited by BrickFunatic

50 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I think they'll do a Hogwarts set next year to add to this year's modular version. I bet it will be based on POA as the Clock Tower was based on GoF. I imagine the exterior won't be based on any specific building, but the interior could have the divination classroom as Trelawney hasn't appeared since the 2018 CFM.

The Clock Tower from 2004 was such a hit with me. It really did make middle school feel so magical.

That being said, 2019's clock tower is average. It could be better. SO, I am hoping they will want to create more nostalgia by attempting to redo the 2004 Clock Tower in the 2021 style! 

Edited by joeee

25 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

So that would suggest to me that next year's castle section will not be Clocktower related because otherwise the dates would make for a half a year crossover of similar products. Nor would it be Astronomy Tower because again that will still be on the shelves. Of course they could just provide more modular sections to add to this year's castle structure, but I just can't see them leaving out a big castle set. 

Yeah I think the castle section might just be a generic castle section next year. Kind of like how the 2020 castle just looks like a big wall IMO.

Haven’t been here in awhile, is there still nothing rumored for the D2C?

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

It's rumoured to be a collection of buildable items and called something like 'Hogwarts Icons' although a leaker suggested that we might find it odd what Lego considers 'icons'. There is also meant to be minifigures in the set.

Edited by BacktoBricks

1 minute ago, Modal said:

Nothing since the Hogwarts Icons rumour which is supposedly various built objects, and the possibility of one or minifgures. 

7 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Neither did I until I got the set. Now I've actually played chess ... And won!

Yes exactly. Unfortunately I think Grimmauld Place falls in to that category too, unless Lego work out how to do a feature where is emerges from in between two buildings. Now that might get kids' attention.

They could give the illusion of it. Either make 12 set a stud back from the other buildings or just make it all even. In both cases have the other buildings just be 4 studs wide. That would be a bit weird though, for those(me) who would intend to put it among the Modulars in town. 

I hope we see more locations. While they didn’t get a ton of screen time, there’s some great places. As mentioned above, they could even be 18+ label.

I just got around to finishing up building the three Hogwarts extensions and I have to say I really love all of them. The Polyjuice Potion Mistake lives up to the legacy of killer $20 sets like Expecto Patronum and Rise of Voldemort. The build is simple but really accurate. Fluffy Encounter on its own isn’t that good, but it works in larger scheme of things. I think the new Fluffy is great besides the grey pieces. And finally Chamber of Secrets has to be my favorite Hogwarts portion in the whole history of the HP line. I felt in the 2018 line that was focused on the first two films, Chamber really got the short of the end of the stick besides the Whomping Willow and Aragog which are more secondary scenes imo. But this set makes up for it in spades. There’s so much love from the Chamber itself to the DADA classroom and Lockhart’s office, so many awesome references. I think the Great Hall is also pretty well done for a set that doesn’t solely focus on it. And the modular nature of the new sets really allowed me to mod the DADA classroom to add the skeleton from Ninjago City Gardens to hang from the roof which imo looks great. Even got a spot for the Pixie to hang on from.  https://ibb.co/QkGSBPK

I say overall, for $190 it’s a very enjoyable Hogwarts display. Compare it to the Whomping Willow and Great Hall which were $170, I really feel like you get a lot more for the first waves of each line. You get better creatures with Fluffy, Pixies, and Basilisk compared to the brick built Basilisk and Fawkes. You get a lot more memorable scenes with the Chamber, the Polyjuice transformation, Fluffy in comparison to just the sorting and Willow. I’d say the minifigure selection is about neck to neck, though I prefer the 2021 lineup by a smudge. The only place the 2018 line has it beat is the exterior, but to have the full exterior display you need to sink at least another $90 for the Clocktower and not to mention another $100 for the Astronomy Tower to really flesh it out. Not including Hagrid’s Hut or another other Hogwarts grounds sets. So to me, I think the 2021 line does a great job in giving you a more complete experience at a lower price. Sure the exterior detail is sacrificed a bit but you can’t have everything. Honestly can’t wait till next year’s extensions would love to see a Boggart Closet or Hogwarts library with Gillyweed, or the Room of Winged Keys and Mirror of Erised.

Edited by RODDY

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

I say overall, for $190 it’s a very enjoyable Hogwarts display.

I’d say the minifigure selection is about neck to neck, though I prefer the 2021 lineup by a smudge.

So to me, I think the 2021 line does a great job in giving you a more complete experience at a lower price. 

I've pulled out just a few quotes here to which I have some differing opinions. Overall I agree that this wave packs in more total value for money than the 2018 Hogwarts sets, with more wonderful new creatures and more specific, detailed memorable scenes recreated.

However, given I'm displaying the sets (minus Quidditch Lesson still) myself, I question how enjoyable it is as a Hogwarts display. It looks pretty bad from the outside, and while the inside is a good canvas for setting up various contained scenes, it isn't cohesive at all. It's a great thing for play, but awkward for display from either side because it's not a "whole"; it's many individual scenes contained in variously sized boxes.

Comparing 2018 Hogwarts to 2021 Hogwarts, the minifigure selections have nearly equal strengths and weakness though I lean towards 2018. The 2021 selection of students is objectively stronger, but it's missing key adults like Hagrid, Snape, Filch and McGonagall (in Hogsmeade but we're talking about Hogwarts sets here) who featured very heavily in books one and two. As someone who has most '18-'20 sets, I love that the '21 ones aren't retreading all of the characters and providing new ones instead, but if the '21 sets were your only ones you'd be missing most of the important adults, exchanged for Hooch (who has 1.5 important scenes) and Sinistra (who you could easily never notice was there at all).

Given the above, how complete of an experience these sets provide is highly tied to what sort of experience you're after. Solely for play, better experience hands down. For display, to my taste the 2018 Hogwarts sets still take the edge. For creatures and more individual scene builds, 2021. For something highly evocative of the Hogwarts in the films, 2018.

10 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

I think the graveyard scene in GoF is the most intense of the entire franchise, and they've made a set of that, so I really hope Marcos' comment isn't Gospel.

... I love speculating! 

I think it's more the overall tone of the final films rather than certain scenes. Overall they're far less jolly, more grim colours, and not as quotable than earlier films, aside from the actual plot. I don't imagine Lego won't produce any sets for the last two films though, sets based on the Battle of Hogwarts seem very likely as well as the tent. There are a lot of revisited locations aside from Hogwarts (Burrow, Gringotts, MoM, Privet Drive, Grimmauld Place, Hogsmeade) as well as lots of new houses (Malfoy Manor, Shell Cottage, Lovegood House, also Godric's Hollow although it was seen in flashback). 

I'm looking forward to scenes from the first six films being adapted for the first time, or better in Lego. For Hogwarts, the dorms and common rooms are obvious ones, as well as Lupins DADA classroom, the Library and Divination. 

I'm still a bit torn on the idea of a Shrieking Shack set, I would say that since we only really see one room in it that to get a full house build seems a bit much.

Although despite only seeing the set for a little bit it's still quite memorable: the dusty four poster beds one Ron is on, the other Snape gets blasted into, the piano that Sirius puts Peter on, and of course the set for the film swaying a little.

I'm not sure how they could incorporate this though, maybe they could have the whole base of the build on some rails?

I guess you could also have a play function with dropping the Scabbers mold (they should bring back the bald patch print from the cmf) into something, turning a gear and out comes Peter Pettigrew.

Also, yes it would be the only way to get a new Werewolf Lupin which is something I really want to see. And a dog version of Sirius would be nice too.

The other characters though (Sirius, Harry, Ron, Hermione) we've kinda had all their outfits from the last third of PoA before.

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I guess you could also have a play function with dropping the Scabbers mold (they should bring back the bald patch print from the cmf) into something, turning a gear and out comes Peter Pettigrew.

The old one had that exact play feature, and it was amazing :wub: Sure, it was one big moulded piece that couldn’t be used for anything else, but a neat one nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

The other characters though (Sirius, Harry, Ron, Hermione) we've kinda had all their outfits from the last third of PoA before.

Indeed, but Dog!Sirius, Werewolf!Lupin and PoA Pettigrew would be enough to justify the set on a minifig basis, at least in my eyes :classic:

44 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Dog!Sirius, Werewolf!Lupin and PoA Pettigrew would be enough to justify the set on a minifig basis, at least in my eyes :classic:

Isn't Pettigrew the same in every film? 

8 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Isn't Pettigrew the same in every film? 

I thought he had a different outfit in PoA, but I might’ve misremember that :blush:

10 hours ago, RODDY said:

And the modular nature of the new sets really allowed me to mod the DADA classroom to add the skeleton from Ninjago City Gardens to hang from the roof which imo looks great.

OMG I need to steal your idea. That looks amazing!

5 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I'm still a bit torn on the idea of a Shrieking Shack set, I would say that since we only really see one room in it that to get a full house build seems a bit much.

The thing is, that and the 2nd Task sets are two of the most expensive sets to buy that haven't been remade yet. I agree that the build's interior isn't very iconic, but I hope they do a nice exterior that matches up with the new Hogsmeade set in terms of scale, and has some fencing/grass for the fight scene. 

Edited by BrickFunatic

1 hour ago, BrickFunatic said:

OMG I need to steal your idea. That looks amazing!

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I've pulled out just a few quotes here to which I have some differing opinions. Overall I agree that this wave packs in more total value for money than the 2018 Hogwarts sets, with more wonderful new creatures and more specific, detailed memorable scenes recreated.

However, given I'm displaying the sets (minus Quidditch Lesson still) myself, I question how enjoyable it is as a Hogwarts display. It looks pretty bad from the outside, and while the inside is a good canvas for setting up various contained scenes, it isn't cohesive at all. It's a great thing for play, but awkward for display from either side because it's not a "whole"; it's many individual scenes contained in variously sized boxes.

Comparing 2018 Hogwarts to 2021 Hogwarts, the minifigure selections have nearly equal strengths and weakness though I lean towards 2018. The 2021 selection of students is objectively stronger, but it's missing key adults like Hagrid, Snape, Filch and McGonagall (in Hogsmeade but we're talking about Hogwarts sets here) who featured very heavily in books one and two. As someone who has most '18-'20 sets, I love that the '21 ones aren't retreading all of the characters and providing new ones instead, but if the '21 sets were your only ones you'd be missing most of the important adults, exchanged for Hooch (who has 1.5 important scenes) and Sinistra (who you could easily never notice was there at all).

Given the above, how complete of an experience these sets provide is highly tied to what sort of experience you're after. Solely for play, better experience hands down. For display, to my taste the 2018 Hogwarts sets still take the edge. For creatures and more individual scene builds, 2021. For something highly evocative of the Hogwarts in the films, 2018.

You make a lot of good points. I do agree that one of the major strengths of the 2018 line was that you got all the prominent teachers from the first movie in just two sets. I’d say the second was kinda underrepresented because we didn’t get Lockhart or Sprout or still haven’t got Pomfrey. And I do love getting more obscure students with Colin and Justin and getting all the petrified characters in one collection. So they kinda balance out to me, and I only give the edge to 2021 because the two minifigs they have in common in Dumbledore and Nearly Headless Nick were done better in CoS. White hair for Harris Dumbledore and new skirt was a big improvement and the glow in dark feature is awesome. Missed having glow in dark pieces. I wonder how different the minifig selection would of been had it been released in 2018. 

But yeah overall I totally understand people like yourself who prefer the 2018 sets and having the most accurate model. It’s just for me, I have always had a soft spot for playsets and recreating scenes. Stuff like the modular 2003 Jabba’s Palace and the 2001-2002 Hogwarts always had a charm to them and the new 2021 sets have that same charm with a modern take. That’s why I don’t mind having them on display and really enjoy them. But I do agree part of feels incomplete and to me its having Fluffy and Devil’s Snare without the rest of the challenges and that’s my biggest gripe. If they release next year, all will be forgiven. Just different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by RODDY

I'm going to be completely honest, his point wasn't "the later movies are too violent, don't expect sets from them"; it was "the later movies have less actually marketable scenes and locations, so there will be less sets from them in comparison to the first four". And this holds up to last year- we obviously only got two sets for both OotP and HBP... and for both there are only a couple of potential sets still missing, while the first two movies have already gotten a bunch of sets and still have more ideas available. DH is the same way- while there are scenes like Gringotts and the Battle of Hogwarts, overall there aren't a whole lot of scenes that are memorable, marketable, and would translate into good LEGO products. So there likely won't be full waves for DH like there have been for the earlier installments, but there will be sets.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

DH is the same way- while there are scenes like Gringotts and the Battle of Hogwarts, overall there aren't a whole lot of scenes that are memorable, marketable, and would translate into good LEGO products. 

I don't know how you define memorable scenes. The wedding, the meeting with Xenophilius, the Ministry break-in, Godric's Hollow, scenes at Malfoy Manor, and scenes at and around Shell Cottage are all very memorable and distinct scenes to me in addition to Gringotts and the Battle of Hogwarts. I warrant that not all of those may make good LEGO sets, but some would. The only problem is that LEGO likes to always make some Hogwarts sets, and the majority of the additional memorable scenes in OotP (Grimmauld Place, Ministry) and DH (mentioned above) do not take place at Hogwarts.

3 hours ago, RODDY said:

Just different strokes for different folks. 

Totally, and I'll always be happy and content with what LEGO did from 2018-2020, and glad for people that really dig the new modular iteration.

58 minutes ago, The Real Walkers said:

Hi All, 

I've written this article for Blocks to celebrate 20 years of Harry Potter LEGO and I thought some of you might like it: https://blocksmag.com/the-magical-nostalgia-of-lego-harry-potter/

Yours,

A long-time lurker and occasional poster...

Thank you for posting. I like how you draw attention to the variability in the theme. I'm partial to the minifigure location sets and vehicles myself and I did already appreciate how the theme is so varied, but I didn't quite think of how the theme has covered so many of the different product formats. :classic:

I expanded my Honeydukes! What do you guys think? https://ibb.co/c3GTCHx

The set is already accurate to the film but not the parks. But, I also did not want to just extend it width wise...so I tried to mimic the side that is next to the Three Broomsticks at the park. I don't have that giant flat window yet so this will have to do for now.