Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I finally have the Fluffy set in hand and I really think people have been waaaay too harsh on Fluffy. The new one is so great and so much more poseable than the original and has so much more personality. The grey mixel joints are annoying but I've gotten used to them in other themes so they don't bother me all that much. I've also seen youtubers complain about the 2 heads on the side coming off easily but they actually don't unless you yank them off so that complaint was pretty ridiculous.

The fixes people have posted are nice though for those that want it. My complaints are more focused on the set itself. The devil's snare is pathetic and the wrong color, the room for Fluffy is frankly too small to fit him and the trio, and the fact you can't have it in the proper configuration without buying another set or leaving a chunk out is such a poor design decision. Luckily I also bought the bathroom set(which is a really nice little set) and plan to get the chamber of secrets later. The Fluffy set isn't bad but it's definitely flawed. That said, I still really like it and I hope we get the flying keys challenge and mirror of erised in this style(or just put them together in one $30-$40 set). I like the chess set and plan to get it too but I wish it had the ability out of the box to connect with these sets.

Edited by ToaDraco

On 6/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, Prometheus87 said:

Oooo, I'd love that set redone. Also would love a new Dumbledore's Office. 

Agree on both. I still have the OG Clock Tower. I'm planning to sell most of my older HP Legos, but that one has so many childhood memories wrapped up in it that I don't want too. Plus, I actually like it better than the new one in spite of it being not as accurate. It has the swinging staircase (not the slideable one, but an actual one that can be reconfigured to lead to different places and fit together), as well as Gryffindor Tower. Just a great set.

Wasn't Dumbledore's Office redone recently in the new Clock Tower set though? I am not sure as I don't own it, but I thought it was.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:20 AM, Clone OPatra said:

How are you dropping your minifigures in?

I tried dropping them through in a variety of ways and had near zero luck - they pretty much always bounced right off the top of the vines.

Oh no! I think i cheated it a little by having Ron dead center and head on into the Snare.

By the way, the Lockhart minifigure comes in bag 3 of the Chamber of Secrets set. Is it a coincidence the Chocolate Frog card with bag 3 is also Lockhart?

lyrFjni.jpeg

59 minutes ago, joeee said:

Is it a coincidence the Chocolate Frog card with bag 3 is also Lockhart?

Yes, they're completely randomised :classic: Funnily enough, I also had a Lockhart card in my copy of the CoS set, but I can't recall which bag it was. Speaking of cards: I was pretty unlucky and got three copies of Picquery in that same set :tongue:

After building all of the new sets, I now stand at 10 unique cards. The AC includes two, so unless the D2C comes with at least 10 of them I don't think I'll be able to get all of them without Bricklink. I'll wait for the remaining 2 sets to release before doing so, however :shrug_oh_well: Bricklinking them at this point would suck out all of the fun

19 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yes, they're completely randomised :classic: Funnily enough, I also had a Lockhart card in my copy of the CoS set, but I can't recall which bag it was. Speaking of cards: I was pretty unlucky and got three copies of Picquery in that same set :tongue:

After building all of the new sets, I now stand at 10 unique cards. The AC includes two, so unless the D2C comes with at least 10 of them I don't think I'll be able to get all of them without Bricklink. I'll wait for the remaining 2 sets to release before doing so, however :shrug_oh_well: Bricklinking them at this point would suck out all of the fun

Imagine if the D2C didn't include cards at all :snicker:

I think buidable Fawkes and buildable figures also should've included them - after all the Advent Calendar does, and it's not an anniversary set with a golden minifigure.

I think I did well, I built COS and Hogsmeade and got 8 out of 10 unique cards.  Snape, McGonagall, Slytherin, Maxime, Flamel, Bertie, Scamander, Sykes. 

In COS I got 2 extra Slytherin but Hogsmeade was all unique. 

I just got a bricks and pieces order, which I accidentally ordered two head pieces of Amelia Earhart. I think it'd maybe be a good face for Narcissa Malfoy.

Tbh though the original Narcissa Malfoy minifigure is pretty much perfect, so I wouldn't mind if it was just an updated version of that.

Screenshot_20210608_065508.jpg

12 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

oh no! Not three! I've gotten three Snapes so far.

Has anyone mentioned if Lego Store employees would carry extra tiles to encourage people to go in and trade? That would give them a lot of foot traffic and potential sales.

Edited by joeee

On 6/7/2021 at 11:16 AM, Vindicare said:

We all bought it for the minifigs. :tongue: 

I think the bathroom is great, for the price it’s at. Plus, there isn’t much in the bathroom to replicate. The sink looks fantastic...and that’s pretty much all there is to the bathroom. Sure, it could’ve been a higher price tag & gotten a complete sink area & more stalls, but for what we got, it’s perfect. 

I agree, it's a question of scale. I think I may have been the only person here hoping for not one but two lavatory sets (I still want the scene with the troll :classic:) and not even I wanted to see Myrtle's lav much larger. I mean, do we really want it larger than Dumbledore's office? And look at the size of the niches we've crammed Snape and Slughorn into... (I still think that's meant to be Flitwick's office for the scene in HBP...)

1 hour ago, joeee said:

oh no! Not three! I've gotten three Snapes so far.

Has anyone mentioned if Lego Store employees would carry extra tiles to encourage people to go in and trade? That would give them a lot of foot traffic and potential sales.

I love the sound of that, in part because we have a store not too far away, but I can't see how they could do that. If you aren't a completionist, then some tiles are worth less than others. (I'm happier with any of the Hogwarts teachers than even Newt, for example, and I can't imagine anyone had Mme. Sykes on their shortlist.) If they did that and didn't mean to turn people away empty-handed, they'd have to produce more of some and would soon have the rare tiles they seem to be trying to avoid. (Love the absence of chase figures and tiles &c. I think those only serve investors, not fun.)

@Metanoios91 Thanks so much for the link to brickhunter, I've now disappeared down that rabbit hole. (The app isn't remotely intuitive (I get the feeling it wasn't really developed to be used without a pc/laptop), but the stonewars guide helps a lot.) Solid tip. Much appreciated. :classic:

Edited by krimimimi

9 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

(Love the absence of chase figures and tiles &c. I think those only serve investors, not fun.)

Agreed. Chase collectibles are just the worst! I’m so glad TLG doesn’t participate in those artificial scarcity shenanigans… for the most part, at least. (They shall not be forgiven for Mr Gold :tongue:)

So while getting duplicates is annoying, at least the tiles are completely randomised with equal rarities. 

16 hours ago, joeee said:

By the way, the Lockhart minifigure comes in bag 3 of the Chamber of Secrets set. Is it a coincidence the Chocolate Frog card with bag 3 is also Lockhart?

They’re supposed to be randomized but, funnily enough, I also got a Lockhart chocolate frog card in bag 3 with Lockhart’s classroom and the Lockhart minifig. Hmmm...

2 hours ago, joeee said:

Has anyone mentioned if Lego Store employees would carry extra tiles to encourage people to go in and trade?

Would be very handy for everyone living close to Lego store :thumbup:

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

I love the sound of that, in part because we have a store not too far away, but I can't see how they could do that. If you aren't a completionist, then some tiles are worth less than others. (I'm happier with any of the Hogwarts teachers than even Newt, for example, and I can't imagine anyone had Mme. Sykes on their shortlist.) If they did that and didn't mean to turn people away empty-handed, they'd have to produce more of some and would soon have the rare tiles they seem to be trying to avoid. (Love the absence of chase figures and tiles &c. I think those only serve investors, not fun.)

They could just put 20 tiles on a baseplate if you want one of them just change it with one of yours. If they do not have anyone you need then better luck next time :shrug_oh_well: I hardly think they will end up with only 2-3 of the less popular cards after a time. Unlike random minifigs swaps I do not think anyone of the cards are that more popular then others :sceptic:

How do you guys display the golden minifigs and the chocolate frog card tiles? I decided to sacrifice one of my precious trans-clear 16x16 baseplates which I usually reserve for the licensed CMF series:

51233672926_8f1124ebcd.jpg

Not sure what to do with the spares though :tongue: In the spare part box they go...?

50 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

How do you guys display the golden minifigs and the chocolate frog card tiles? I decided to sacrifice one of my precious trans-clear 16x16 baseplates which I usually reserve for the licensed CMF series:

Not sure what to do with the spares though :tongue: In the spare part box they go...?

I temporarily put them in a box in Ron's room in the Burrow :tongue: Seemed like a good place to put them until I have the time to think about/design some kind of stand to put them in, probably for etiher DA or Hogsmeade. 

As for the Golden Figures, they were disassembled and sorted away into my minifigure bins immediately. They do nothing for me and they look bad.

Just now, lego_guyon02 said:

I temporarily put them in a box in Ron's room in the Burrow :tongue: Seemed like a good place to put them until I have the time to think about/design some kind of stand to put them in, probably for etiher DA or Hogsmeade. 

They're a bit too large to work as trading cards in-universe, more like trading posters :tongue: A sales stand is still a neat idea though :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

As for the Golden Figures, they were disassembled and sorted away into my minifigure bins immediately. They do nothing for me and they look bad.

Harsh.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I have my golden minifigs on the bottom row of my HP minifigure display cabinet. I then have all my minifigs displayed in rows going upwards in film order. I use display frames/cabinets from displayframes uk and double layer the figs. Two should be enough for all HP figs from 2018 onwards and going forward. I have to agree with @lego_guyon02 though; they don't really do much for me and do clash rather with all the other figs. My wizard tiles are currently away in a spares box with all my HP wands. I might display them with the figures if I get a set, but I'm so far on 11/16.

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They're a bit too large to work as trading cards in-universe, more like trading posters :tongue: A sales stand is still a neat idea though :thumbup:

Harsh.

I could see a nice MOC of the Movable Staircases utilizing these for paintings/portraits. Or a Dumbledore's Office showing past Headmasters. 

Just now, Prometheus87 said:

I could see a nice MOC of the Movable Staircases utilizing these for paintings/portraits. Or a Dumbledore's Office showing past Headmasters. 

If you’re able to ignore the purple background, sure :snicker:

So I got 4 sets and opened them. Here is what I got. Im really dissapointed by the chamber of secrets. Rest are really good for me. I will buy the chessboard and the flying lesson as well, so maby I will get some more.

Hogsmead
Nicolas Flamel, 
godric Gryffindor, 
albus Dumbledore gold
Gilderoy Lockhart

Bathroom
Salazar slytherin
Silver Dumbledore

Fluffy's Encounter
golden Dumbledore
Olympe Maxime

Chamber of Secrets
Garrick Olivander
Garrick Olivander
Garrick Olivander
Godrick Gryffindor
Bertie bott
Severus Snape

Still need: 

Minerva Mcgonagall
Helga Hufflepuff
Newt Scamander
Seraphina Picquery
Jocunda Sykes
Rowena Ravenclaw

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

How do you guys display the golden minifigs and the chocolate frog card tiles? 

Not sure about the golden minifigs yet, but my chocolate frog cards have gone to tiling Myrtle's bathroom floor, lol! 

I *also* had Lockhart's frog card in the same bag as his minifig. Perhaps that one isn't random at all :) 

6 minutes ago, f2iso100 said:

I *also* had Lockhart's frog card in the same bag as his minifig. Perhaps that one isn't random at all :) 

Has to be a coincidence. @Clone OPatra’s copy for instance instead had McGonagall in that bag, and I can’t recall which bag it was in mine :grin:

Maybe he has a slightly higher probability to appear in that bag as a joke, but that would still be random

29 minutes ago, f2iso100 said:

Confirmation bias? :shrug_confused: If the tiles are truly random and equally distributed, one in sixteen of us would have done so without there being anything odd about it. 

I've been placing my chocolate frog cards throughout the castle, places like inside chests, behind the mirror of erised (that's where flamel goes) etc. Its a lot of fun to moc up and makes the interiors feel more magical. 1×2 panel pieces work great for this. 

2 hours ago, Nick unassembled said:

I've been placing my chocolate frog cards throughout the castle, places like inside chests, behind the mirror of erised (that's where flamel goes) etc. Its a lot of fun to moc up and makes the interiors feel more magical. 1×2 panel pieces work great for this. 

That sounds great, it's certainly what I'd do with them :)