Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

This Designer Interview has some interesting insight into the reasoning behind this year's Anniversary line. Some key takeaways:

• The 2018-2020 line was a three-year plan
  • The new Anniversary line is called a soft reboot because it introduces the new modular system, while also keeping the pin-connections from the 2018-2020 wave
  • The goal with the soft reboot "Anniversary" line was to attract new kids to HP (that weren't old enough to be interested three years ago). This explains why the focus is on the first two films, which are more kid-friendly than say Deathly Hallows. Also, the Anniversary is celebrating the release of the first film, 20 years ago. 
  • With the 2018-2020 line they had run out of "consumer-recognizable" Hogwarts exteriors, hence a return to familiar locations like the Great Hall. This admission does not bode well for the chance of getting less iconic locations like the Bell Towers
  • The sand-green elements on the Astronomy Tower set were a personal touch by that set's designer, and not part of the official switch to Sand Green for the Anniversary Line. It was just a happy coincidence that it served as a transition between the two lines. 

All things considered, the future of the line looks like it will be this new Modular Hogwarts system, rather than a return to the style of the 2018-2020 series. 

Edited by Ferder

I think one of the major problems I have with this Advent Calender is that it has nothing to do with Christmas. Harry's visits Diagon Alley with Hagrid on his birthday in July, the rest of the time he's at Privet Drive until he goes to Hogwarts in September.

And the unsorted robes (which tbh look okay) signify that that's also from September.

They could've done Christmas at Grimmauld Place from OotP, or Christmas at the Burrow in HBP but instead they go with this. 

Just now, (Insert Name Here) said:

I think one of the major problems I have with this Advent Calender is that it has nothing to do with Christmas. Harry's visits Diagon Alley with Hagrid on his birthday in July, the rest of the time he's at Privet Drive until he goes to Hogwarts in September.

And the unsorted robes (which tbh look okay) signify that that's also from September.

They could've done Christmas at Grimmauld Place from OotP, or Christmas at the Burrow in HBP but instead they go with this. 

It's Christmas in July lol which as someone from the UK is a concept that I have never related too. Hopefully next year will be Grimmauld Place or The Burrow like you say.

I would probably put money down on there being zero Deathly Hallow sets next year as well. It's clear we've gone back to the start again

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But they scenes they are depicting in the AC took place in July. It's Harry's Bday

At least the Grimmauld Place's scene was actually christmas 

Or Christmas in July? :)

49 minutes ago, Ferder said:

This Designer Interview has some interesting insight into the reasoning behind this year's Anniversary line. Some key takeaways:

• The 2018-2020 line was a three-year plan
  • The new Anniversary line is called a soft reboot because it introduces the new modular system, while also keeping the pin-connections from the 2018-2020 wave
  • The goal with the soft reboot "Anniversary" line was to attract new kids to HP (that weren't old enough to be interested three years ago). This explains why the focus is on the first two films, which are more kid-friendly than say Deathly Hallows. Also, the Anniversary is celebrating the release of the first film, 20 years ago. 
  • With the 2018-2020 line they had run out of "consumer-recognizable" Hogwarts exteriors, hence a return to familiar locations like the Great Hall. This admission does not bode well for the chance of getting less iconic locations like the Bell Towers
  • The sand-green elements on the Astronomy Tower set were a personal touch by that set's designer, and not part of the official switch to Sand Green for the Anniversary Line. It was just a happy coincidence that it served as a transition between the two lines. 

All things considered, the future of the line looks like it will be this new Modular Hogwarts system, rather than a return to the style of the 2018-2020 series. 

Yep, to me this confirms that the 2018 line is done and no more in that vein. 4th point makes no sense as Bell Towers are what I and many others would consider a consumer-recognizable set. Same can be said for an Owlery. 

47 minutes ago, Modal said:

I would probably put money down on there being zero Deathly Hallow sets next year as well. It's clear we've gone back to the start again

With them saying it was a 3-year plan, that goes up to Half-Blood Prince then moving back to a new form. I doubt we will EVER get Deathly Hallow's sets as well. 

This disappoints me. I guess we can look forward to to the 2024 Fluffy that will surely come out when they stop these modular types :laugh:

Not ever making Deathly Hallows sets would be downright ridiculous. It may be the darkest of the films but does that really matter much when past LEGO sets have featured Nazi's, cannibals, genocidal maniacs, demons, the undead and so on? There's literally no argument that could possibly give a solid explanation as to why Deathly Hallows sets can't be made.

9 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Not ever making Deathly Hallows sets would be downright ridiculous. It may be the darkest of the films but does that really matter much when past LEGO sets have featured Nazi's, cannibals, genocidal maniacs, demons, the undead and so on? There's literally no argument that could possibly give a solid explanation as to why Deathly Hallows sets can't be made.

Yea they literally put The Punisher in the Daily Bugle set, I would say any argument about the last two movies being too dark is insane.

That being said I see LEGO as a similar company to Nintendo - love what they do but they make some ridiculous decisions sometimes.

4 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I mean, Harry murdered a teacher in his first year...so there's that! It has to be something else, right? *huh* Also, Thanos did destroy half of life on Earth, and can't think of much darker than that whole plotline. It definitely doesn't make sense to me. 

And to sets that aren't too "Dark". I can come up with a few off the bat.

• Forest of Dean Camping Set 
  • Lovegood House 
  • Gringots: Escape from the Vaults 
  • Break in at the Ministry of Magic

Just now, Modal said:

Yea they literally put The Punisher in the Daily Bugle set, I would say any argument about the last two movies being too dark is insane.

And even within the theme itself they made a set based on a scene where a guy kidnaps 2 teens, murders one of them, tortures the other, desecrates a grave, cuts off his hand and then proceeds to resurrect one of the most sadistic and tyrannical murderers of all time. And the most important thing: they made it TWICE.

Advent Calendar has some fun stuff in there, but I’m really interested in that wall. Dudley better have a tail back there too! 

Ordered Hogsmeade & Chamber, excited to get all those new characters/prints. Especially the H & R robes! :excited:

Edited by Vindicare

10 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

And even within the theme itself they made a set based on a scene where a guy kidnaps 2 teens, murders one of them, tortures the other, desecrates a grave, cuts off his hand and then proceeds to resurrect one of the most sadistic and tyrannical murderers of all time. And the most important thing: they made it TWICE.

Couldn't they just make a set called "Tale of the Three Brothers", slap the 18+ and make it like 100? Yes, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

When I saw they were making 18+ age limits, I immediately thought they could make darker themes. 

Got 4 sets today. The Chamber of Secrets, Hogsmeade, Fluffy and Pollyjuice potion. Total of 240 euro. The Chamber was 120 euro and Hogsmeade 70, which are much better prices. Bought them at Jan's Steen, so be aware Dutch customers! Also bought the accessories pack at the Lego store. Happy with them.

I hope I can move to somewhere bigger soon and build them all and stall them out. I have every potter set(except Hogwarts castle and Hedwig, I only collect minifigure ones) from 2018 and build only 5 of them(all 4 books and the whomping willow). Rest of them are still in the box. 

2 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Advent Calendar has some fun stuff in there, but I’m really interested in that wall. Who else thinks that’s a 1x1 masonry brick? 

It's not as tall as a typical 1x1 so it's probably just plates stacked on top of one another. What I find more curious about that wall is the patterning they went with.

5 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

When I saw they were making 18+ age limits, I immediately thought they could make darker themes. 

I think everyone's there with you, yet so far the 18+ label has been nothing more than an excuse to skip out on proper boxart :tongue:

1 hour ago, Modal said:

I stopped following LEGO HP for the year considering there's nothing I'm interested in, but I did get a good laugh seeing the advent calendar on Instagram. One of the items is a literal wall lmao

Hey now, we were complaining that they hadn't included just such a bit of wall in the DA set, and here we finally have it. :laugh: 

I think they've nicely captured bits and bobs from the first several chapters. There's also nothing wrong with targeting a younger audience with some of the sets. This gives kids a lot of opportunities to play for a fairly low investment. We were no different back in the day. Does anyone else remember how rudimentary the old sets were? Gringotts Bank 4714 from 2002, for instance. The AC does an even better job of rendering the vault, actually.

44 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

It's not as tall as a typical 1x1 so it's probably just plates stacked on top of one another. What I find more curious about that wall is the patterning they went with.

Haha, yeah...my excitement at the prospect of finally getting a 1x1 clearly ruined my eyesight. :grin: The grooves on them are weird though. Those aren’t just plates stacked. It would be flush. 

Yeah, it's probably for the best not to expect a full DH wave in the future :hmpf_bad: Hopefully they'll at least give us a set or two (like Gringotts) and some spots on the next CMF series

45 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, it's probably for the best not to expect a full DH wave in the future :hmpf_bad: Hopefully they'll at least give us a set or two (like Gringotts) and some spots on the next CMF series

Oh, I don't think so...

3 hours ago, Modal said:

No we haven't, it's literally this theme's 20th anniversary. It only happens... well, once. Obviously they wouldn't miss it.

2 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Dark? Those movies are watched by kids.

Sure, they are darker than 1-6, but in the same way that RoTS is darker than other Star Wars movies.

They've made Deathly Hallows sets before, and I have no idea why this topic comes like a boomerang once in a while :tongue:

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Sure, they are darker than 1-6, but in the same way that RoTS is darker than other Star Wars movies.

That's literally my point though.

I can't be the only one that actually already made a wall months ago that is practically identical to the one in the AC  :snicker:

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Haha, yeah...my excitement at the prospect of finally getting a 1x1 clearly ruined my eyesight. :grin: The grooves on them are weird though. Those aren’t just plates stacked. It would be flush. 

I think the left part is an upside down version of the right part. So the beveled 1x1's create the grooves. 

31 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

That's literally my point though.

Yeah I know, I just used your reply to let others know what I'm referring to. Sorry for confusion :tongue:

48 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Oh, I don't think so...

No we haven't, it's literally this theme's 20th anniversary. It only happens... well, once. Obviously they wouldn't miss it.

They've made Deathly Hallows sets before, and I have no idea why this topic comes like a boomerang once in a while :tongue:

Exactly....

I noticed that Wizading World accessory pack on LEGO S@H that it said “coming soon”. Previously, it did say “wil be available on June 1st” or something like that? 

Do we have some some sets that are not released yet (other than sets that are released already)?

3 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I noticed that Wizading World accessory pack on LEGO S@H that it said “coming soon”. Previously, it did say “wil be available on June 1st” or something like that? 

Do we have some some sets that are not released yet (other than sets that are released already)?

Yeah, I was refreshing for 10 minutes last night, thinking maybe they were just getting around to it. But I didn’t want to possibly risk it anymore, so I clicked on. The only set revealed that wasn’t June 1st is Flying Lesson, which was always slated for August 1st.