Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

32 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

It is. Builds I know of are PS/CoS as well.

Yeah, but that‘s not necessarily a bad thing, makes it a bit more cohesive than other calendars :laugh:

Btw, I‘m a bit sad we‘ve already reached the peak of this year‘s thread :sadnew: Last year‘s got really exciting with all the speculation surrounding DA and the CMF series, whereas this year‘s D2C set unsurprisingly doesn‘t generate much interest :shrug_confused: The lack of excitement compared to last year is almost more disappointing to me than the set itself :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yeah, but that‘s not necessarily a bad thing, makes it a bit more cohesive than other calendars :laugh:

Btw, I‘m a bit sad we‘ve already reached the peak of this year‘s thread :sadnew: Last year‘s got really exciting with all the speculation surrounding DA and the CMF series, whereas this year‘s D2C set unsurprisingly doesn‘t generate much interest :shrug_confused: The lack of excitement compared to last year is almost more disappointing to me than the set itself :laugh_hard:

Yeah, I think the HP team kinda lost their minds this year. At least this year we didn't have a certain troll fooling us for months....

I just saw a post on Instagram of a nice edit of Lego Harry in the Gryffindor Common room talking to Sirius head in the fire.

And now I'm really wanting a head of Sirius in trans orange with similar hair to have in a Gryffindor fireplace. I mean it does happen in two films. Maybe if we get a small Gryffindor common room set it could happen? Or as an accessory in a cmf?

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I could not agree more. On the bright side, we don’t have to torch a hole in our wallets after finding out what sets would be this year. 

Shame on HP team!

3 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Yeah, I think the HP team kinda lost their minds this year. At least this year we didn't have a certain troll fooling us for months....

Speaking of troll....we are in need of the mountain troll mold!

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I just saw a post on Instagram of a nice edit of Lego Harry in the Gryffindor Common room talking to Sirius head in the fire.

And now I'm really wanting a head of Sirius in trans orange with similar hair to have in a Gryffindor fireplace. I mean it does happen in two films. Maybe if we get a small Gryffindor common room set it could happen? Or as an accessory in a cmf?

Not sure if minifigure head does happen exist to be trans before but I come to think - I would love to see  that happen one day.

Found this minifigure from the Hidden Side line the head is in trans yellow with orange printing. I think this with some orange and black printing would work great for a firery version of Sirius.

Screenshot_20210506_043948.jpg

7 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Shame on HP team!

I think that’s a bit much... The LEGO HP team does not need to be shamed. They were given directions by company execs to produce a profitable anniversary line. In the process, the LEGO HP team managed to reinvent the entire Hogwarts lineup in a way that is both nostalgic and collectible, and both playable and displayable. I am incredibly impressed with this new lineup. The LEGO HP team should be proud.

What I am not impressed with is the rumored D2C set... I continue to hold out hope that some wires got crossed and we will not be getting a “Hogwarts Icons” set of giant buildable objects, but that a Diagon Alley expansion is on the way. I think it is a bad business move - again, not the fault of the LEGO HP team - to not produce a D2C Gringott’s after the enormous success of the D2C Diagon Alley and build off the momentum of that set.

The recent leak of the Diagon Alley Accessory Pack has rekindled some hope in me that we may yet be surprised with a Diagon Alley expansion, but I am doubtful... Has there ever been a big set like this that was a total surprise before? Where the rumored name of the set was wrong and it ended up being something totally different? Or additional sets came out later in the year that we were not anticipating?

13 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I think that’s a bit much... The LEGO HP team does not need to be shamed.

Couldn‘t agree more. What is there to be shamed for? Set selection? Some may not like the choices, but that doesn‘t mean they‘re bad sets or worthy of being shamed for :purrr: „Not for me“ =/= „terrible“

18 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

What I am not impressed with is the rumored D2C set... I continue to hold out hope that some wires got crossed and we will not be getting a “Hogwarts Icons” set of giant buildable objects, but that a Diagon Alley expansion is on the way.

That‘s incredibly unlikely. We have two pieces of information from different sources, that point to only one possible conclusion: a collection of buildable items called „Hogwarts Icons“. Unless both rumours happen to be fabricated, which is also unlikely

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Couldn‘t agree more. What is there to be shamed for? Set selection? Some may not like the choices, but that doesn‘t mean they‘re bad sets or worthy of being shamed for :purrr: „Not for me“ =/= „terrible“

That‘s incredibly unlikely. We have two pieces of information from different sources, that point to only one possible conclusion: a collection of buildable items called „Hogwarts Icons“. Unless both rumours happen to be fabricated, which is also unlikely

Just to clarify which are the two pieces of information? I only know of one piece: The buildable object rumour based on a list of set names. What other piece is there?

1 minute ago, Metanoios91 said:

Just to clarify which are the two pieces of information? I only know of one piece: The buildable object rumour based on a list of set names. What other piece is there?

First, we heard what the set was (a collection of buildable objects), without having a name. The name („Hogwarts Icons“) dropped a bit later, by a different source. No credible leaker has denied either bit of information 

38 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

The recent leak of the Diagon Alley Accessory Pack has rekindled some hope in me that we may yet be surprised with a Diagon Alley expansion, but I am doubtful... Has there ever been a big set like this that was a total surprise before? Where the rumored name of the set was wrong and it ended up being something totally different? Or additional sets came out later in the year that we were not anticipating?

Well, last year, the big Star Wars D2C was originally "confirmed" by trusted leakers to be an Imperial Shuttle, when it ended up being a Mos Eisley Cantina, which wasn't even rumored until the minifigures started to leak. So there is precedent.

While I still think this Icons selection is likely (and I'm excited, because I'm sure it'll be absolutely gorgeous), it is certainly possible that it's erroneous information our leakers have received.

Alternatively, considering the fact that Falconfan spent weeks lying about a $30 brickbuilt Remembrall just to mess with everyone, this could just be a jape. But that's pretty unlikely.

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

First, we heard what the set was (a collection of buildable objects), without having a name. The name („Hogwarts Icons“) dropped a bit later, by a different source. No credible leaker has denied either bit of information 

Someone was pointing out that the new creator expert buildings are now called Lego Icons, or something in thst realm, and buildings are iconic and brick built. If this is a new subtheme, we potentially could be looking at something like a DA expansion, or other memorable locations. And while leakers do their best with information, there has been a lot of misinformation surrounding this wave in general. Not getting my hopes up, because with how Lego is doing things this year it seems in character, but until we see the set, we just don't know.

3 minutes ago, Childe_Roland said:

Someone was pointing out that the new creator expert buildings are now called Lego Icons

That‘s a bit of a stretch, and doesn‘t negate the other bit of information. Besides, isn‘t „Icons“ rumoured to be a purely internal label at the moment? In that case, it shouldn‘t end up on a set list in the first place :tongue:

Two words: Ockham‘s razor :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Alternatively, considering the fact that Falconfan spent weeks lying about a $30 brickbuilt Remembrall just to mess with everyone, this could just be a jape. But that's pretty unlikely.

The leakers get some info and then they guess the rest, it is not like they have seen the sets. So he probably had some info that it will include a remembrall and assumed it was a big brick-built one, I hardly think he was lying on purpose..
So the leakers have some vague info about the D2C as well most likely, maybe the price and a name. So say the price is right, but the name is just a codename then the guess most likely will be off target. So takes leaks for what it is 50/50 leak and guess with a grain of salt until pictures show up.  :shrug_oh_well:

21 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

But wasn't the initial rumour tied to that set name, which the leakers just hadn't shared on this forum yet. And how can you verify that it is different sources when they are anonymous and don't share how they got the info? Journalistic work usually encompasses background checks into sources and confirming that they are indeed privy to the information they claim to possess. This is not possible in this case and the exact reason why it is so easy to fabricate fake or erroneous leaks concerning Lego. We already had proven mix-ups (Chess being D2C, brickbuilt Remembral, Flying Lessons not being minifig scale, Bad Batch official reveal on May 4th [it wasn't], Marvel pics at the end of April) with trusted leakers this year. For example, why do they say "brickbuilt objects" but do not clarify which objects? A word like "sword" or "wand" wouldn't risk their source any more than "iconic Hogwarts objects" or the set name "Hogwarts Icons" (if it is true) would. However the reluctance to even specify the nature of the objects is suggesting that the information they have does not go beyond a set name.

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That‘s a bit of a stretch, and doesn‘t negate the other bit of information. Besides, isn‘t „Icons“ rumoured to be a purely internal label at the moment? In that case, it shouldn‘t end up on a set list in the first place :tongue:

Disney Star Wars and Marvel sets get internal development code names (wave for Force Awakens, Last Jedi etc.) and these names are sometimes even passed on to retailers. We have gotten these in the set lists for the new releases multiple times. So an internal label or development name landing on a leaker's set list is a common occurence with Licensed themes and therefore Ockham's razor would actually not exclude that possibility

24 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I won't deny thst it's a stretch. It very much is, but one that does, more or less, fit within the limited information we have. While probably it is brick built objects in line with the building Harry, Hermione, and Fawkes, I hope it isn't and until we have more information, will continue to hope.

1 minute ago, Metanoios91 said:

But wasn't the initial rumour tied to that set name, which the leakers just hadn't shared on this forum yet. And how can you verify that it is different sources when they are anonymous and don't share how they got the info?

You‘re right in that it can‘t be verified, but if it was a single source I think we would have gotten the name and the vague decription at once. Why split that information into two separate rumours?

7 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

We already had proven mix-ups […]

Indeed, we had. But none of the information was completely wrong, just attributed to the wrong sets. The Remembrall being brick-built was the most significant error, but at least there is one in the set :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

So an internal label or development name landing on a leaker's set list is a common occurence with Licensed themes and therefore Ockham's razor would actually not exclude that possibility

Fair enough :classic:

10 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I’m hoping for a wave of ‘moments’ sets of the common rooms. I think it would suit the format well: various furniture, lots for sticker details, the entrances like the fat lady portrait being on a fold-out wall etc. Sirius’s face would be a great inclusion too!

28 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You‘re right in that it can‘t be verified, but if it was a single source I think we would have gotten the name and the vague decription at once. Why split that information into two separate rumours?

Indeed, we had. But none of the information was completely wrong, just attributed to the wrong sets. The Remembrall being brick-built was the most significant error, but at least there is one in the set :laugh:

What we got at the beginning was "Lower your expectations" and "It is not Gringotts". Followed in February for one week (paraphrasing) "It is a gigantic chess board".

The remembral/flying lesson mix-up is actually really interesting and tells us something about the composition of the set list the leakers have from their source:

The official set name for 76395 is "Hogwarts: First Flying Lesson". Now if the leaker's list contained all the correct set names and not only vague descriptors, how would someone derive from that name a huge brickbuilt remembral and the fact that the set is most definitely not minifig scale? On the other hand, if the list didn't have that correct set name and it was only an online message with set numbers, prices and internal descriptors, it could be that the only information was "Remembral flying lesson", for example. This could lead someone to think of a brickbuilt remembral, if it was assorted and grouped with names like "Brickbuilt fawkes", "Brickbuilt Harry and Hermione".

But if the entire list is of a similar quality and scope of information, isn't the name "Hogwarts Icons" actually completely non-descriptive and impossible to guess what it really is, without prelim pics or at least a detailed set description?

Edit: The full name, that was reported, is "Hogwarts Icons Collection".

Edited by Metanoios91

14 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

Edit: The full name, that was reported, is "Hogwarts Icons Collection".

I hope this title is the only information the leakers have and it got translated to brick built objects by some folks making assumptions.  This could easily be some subtheme branding (like UCS) and a completely different build than we are expecting if this is all they have.

With the next piece of information, I may add even more confusion. I heard from a distributor a few days ago that the accessory pack should go with a new set. He has only heard this himself, but is usually very well connected. At first I thought ok, then it will just contain students in robes, but now that the 4 figures are there I'm a little confused. The pack doesn't go with the sets that are already revealed, but an additional set for Diagon Alley or a Ministry of Magic doesn't fit with the Hogwarts Icon Collection.

3 minutes ago, Xcube said:

With the next piece of information, I may add even more confusion. I heard from a distributor a few days ago that the accessory pack should go with a new set. He has only heard this himself, but is usually very well connected. At first I thought ok, then it will just contain students in robes, but now that the 4 figures are there I'm a little confused. The pack doesn't go with the sets that are already revealed, but an additional set for Diagon Alley or a Ministry of Magic doesn't fit with the Hogwarts Icon Collection.

Technically, if I were to sell the accessory pack as a lego store employee, I would suggest it with the Hogsmeade set (upcoming and new) or the Diagon Allley set. If the information he has is right however and it isn't Hogsmeade, that he meant, it would imply a minifig scale location from the wizarding world. Sadly I take everything right now with a grain of salt, either pro or contra Gringotts, because hear-say rumours and lists are just not reliable enough and I try to block emotional engagement with these rumours, until we get figure leaks or stickers etc.

14 minutes ago, Xcube said:

This just further bolstered my hopes for a Diagon Alley expansion. I have a feeling we will all be surprised with the D2C...

It’s also worth noting that the background art of the Accessory Pack features Borgin & Burke’s - not Ollivander’s as some assumed or any other Diagon Alley location.

Also, there was a leaker late last year (I believe it was @bevinsbricks) who said he had info that we would be getting multiple Diagon Alley sets in late 2021. Gringott’s and another smaller set or two as expansions to the 2020 D2C Diagon Alley. 

The guy could be totally wrong, but I am not ready to give up hope yet. As has already been noted, the info this year has been confused and confusing and there is a precedent for major surprises in the D2C. Fingers crossed...

13 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

It’s also worth noting that the background art of the Accessory Pack features Borgin & Burke’s - not Ollivander’s as some assumed or any other Diagon Alley location.

Its been shown multiple times background locations on packaging aren't hinting at anything. The box art designers most likely don't even know what future sets are going to be. 

24 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Also, there was a leaker late last year (I believe it was @bevinsbricks) who said he had info that we would be getting multiple Diagon Alley sets in late 2021. Gringott’s and another smaller set or two as expansions to the 2020 D2C Diagon Alley. 

The guy could be totally wrong, but I am not ready to give up hope yet. As has already been noted, the info this year has been confused and confusing and there is a precedent for major surprises in the D2C. Fingers crossed...

Iirc, Bevin said we would be getting two expansions in January or something. I doubt he’s info is good.

34 minutes ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Its been shown multiple times background locations on packaging aren't hinting at anything. The box art designers most likely don't even know what future sets are going to be. 

Not entirely accurate for the Harry Potter line and for large lego sets in general. The 2018 Great Hall box art featured the Astronomy tower silhouette (2020 set) prominently on the front box art and the orientation of the Great Hall pic would in the correct movie layout and this viewing angle not feature the Astronomy Tower in the background, so it was a deliberate decision by the box art designer. Also Star Wars UCS sets did have eastereggs for upcoming sets on their box art in the past: 2nd UCS Millenium Falcon shadow was teasered on the Death Star rerelease box and the UCS Star Destroyer was teasered as a shadow silhouette on the side box art of the Millenium Falcon UCS set.

Also we know from Interviews by Lego fan media outlets and designers that Lego sets are mostly designed 2-3 years prior to release and one of the final things, that is finished, is the box art designs. So when the 2018 line was getting its finishing touches late 2017/early 2018 , the Astronomy tower probably already existed as a fully built prototype and was green lit by that time as an upcoming set.