Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Honestly $250 price is enough to include another Diagon Alley building with decent size. Gringotts needs like 1500-1700 pieces so there could be like 800-1000 pieces left for something like Borgin and Burkes. I hope Lego wont fail us with this next year.

2 hours ago, Textorix said:

For those who are interested in making their own Hogwarts layout I can give you my stud.io models of all sets so you dont have to spend few days building it as I did :D Oh and by the way I estimated the size of this layout for 75x125 cm so it needs a big table or vitrine for display :D

This is great! I would really appreciate the stud.io file. It will probably take me a few weeks of work to create the layout you made in a few days. I really like how it looks like a real castle.

My plan is to use all the minifigure size sets 2018-2021 for a Christmas display this year.  I’ll replace the sand green roofs with grey and white (snow), add some Christmas trees 🎄, more snow... I have saved two advent calendars for kids to open during the month of December and add those pieces to the display. 

@Textorix Great work! You even made the Fluffy set exterior look nice (which is quite the feat :pir-sweet:).

Personally, I am going to display the 2021 set-up from the interior and leave my exterior-facing 2018-20 set-up as is, although I will try and add the training courtyard set to my 2018-20's display. Call me Hannah Montana because I want the best of both worlds! :excited:

On 4/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, BacktoBricks said:

Did you get this confirmed by customer service? :classic:

I didn't, but when I added them to my basket it showed double points as the total earned. I went ahead and pre-ordered them and took a screenshot of my basket so if there are any issues, I will contact CS and ask for the advertised points added. :wink: It charged me which I wasn't expecting. :pir-oh3: But I expect it to just be that temporary hold thing they usually do.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, RogueTwo said:

It's really strange that different regions have different sets available for pre-order.

Wow, that is weird! I just had a look on the US site and saw what you mean. Poor old Flying Lessons, no one gets that early for pre-order. :pir_tong2: I agree about the big figs. I want them but I can't justify the price. :pir-oh:

On 4/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, BacktoBricks said:

Yes I found those on Amazon for preorder yesterday, but not the others. 🤔 I'm reluctant to preorder from Lego even with double VIP because their shipping of preorders can be dreadfully slow. If there was a promo I'd be more willing, but otherwise I'd rather do Amazon because last year they had reduced the bigger sets by a few £s even on release day and shipped quicker. Not sure what to do yet. What are you thinking?

Because my Birthday is in the middle of July, ever since last year I have started showing some self-control and being a good Dudley Birthday Boy and waiting to get them then. So I pre-ordered them from Lego to get the double points, as I don't mind if they arrive late (it would actually be better for me if they did, to lesson the wait time). 

In 2018 I managed to get the sets early by a few days by ordering them for click and collect at Smyths. Then in 2019 I got them a few days early again by ordering them for delivery again from Smyths. 

I wish I had a small, local toy shop near me to buy them at as I am trying not to fund mega corporations directly after last year. But eh, I don't and Lego will get the money anyway. :pir-hmpf_bad::laugh:

20 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I didn't, but when I added them to my basket it showed double points as the total earned. I went ahead and pre-ordered them and took a screenshot of my basket so if there are any issues, I will contact CS and ask for the advertised points added.

That's exactly what I've just done for Fluffy and the Bathroom set. Great minds think alike lol. Anyone would think we don't trust the Lego IT system. :wink:

4 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

I started thinking seriously about the omissions from last year's 75978 Diagon Alley.

It's almost 100% certain that we'll be getting a Deathly Hallows Gringotts Escape set next year.  Honestly, I think $250 would be the perfect price, if not a little too pricy to do the scene justice.  For a $300-400 price point, I think they could randomly throw in the Leaky Cauldron, but I hope there isn't another LEGO Harry Potter set that's so expensive.

I just can't see the Leaky Cauldron happening as a standalone set, at least not until this theme is old and grey.  Not because it's a pub (we all know LEGO doesn't care about that) but because it's a dark, dingy, and fairly generic building.  Borgin and Burke's seems much more likely, possibly at the $80-ish price point.  Other shops, such as the Magical Menagerie and Eeylop's Owl Emporium, will probably never ever see the light of day, and honestly I'm okay with that. 

So does having Hogsmeade as a regular set pretty much rule out a Hogsmeade DTC this year? If so, it could open up some exciting possibilities like the Diagon Alley ones you mentioned above. Since I was hoping for Hogsmeade, the second best thing for a DTC this year would be a Leaky Cauldron or Diagon-Alley Expansion.

32 minutes ago, 501bricks said:

So does having Hogsmeade as a regular set pretty much rule out a Hogsmeade DTC this year? If so, it could open up some exciting possibilities like the Diagon Alley ones you mentioned above. Since I was hoping for Hogsmeade, the second best thing for a DTC this year would be a Leaky Cauldron or Diagon-Alley Expansion.

The D2C this year will apparently be buildable objects, so no Diagon Alley expansions or anything minifig scale :pir-cry_sad:

On 4/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, ZeLuiz08 said:

First of all I would like to say that I thought the idea of them restarting the castle was terrible, I found a lack of respect with the consumer.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the minifigures with the black clothes, but if the idea of this wave was based on the 2001 sets, shouldn't the minifigures just come with a gray sweater and then put a black fabric cover on them?

I learned to cope with this, for one they managed to release their vision of the modular v1 castle, now it feels like we are ready for the second version that’s nostalgic to the sets released 20 years ago.  I do agree that I feel backstabbed because the set is completely adding a basement and we can’t add it to the old one but still we will see what will happen

3 hours ago, eldiano said:

I learned to cope with this, for one they managed to release their vision of the modular v1 castle, now it feels like we are ready for the second version that’s nostalgic to the sets released 20 years ago.  I do agree that I feel backstabbed because the set is completely adding a basement and we can’t add it to the old one but still we will see what will happen

You don't need to display the CoS below the castle though, you can have it separate. That way all the castle is on the same level. 

It's almost certainly what they'll do with Gringotts, as any future set will have to be the same height as the rest of DA, but Lego will probably provide the subterranean vaults and carts which could be displayed separately. 

13 minutes ago, Seaber said:

You don't need to display the CoS below the castle though, you can have it separate. That way all the castle is on the same level. 

It's almost certainly what they'll do with Gringotts, as any future set will have to be the same height as the rest of DA, but Lego will probably provide the subterranean vaults and carts which could be displayed separately. 

I understand, just with my logic now I think and I’m hoping maybe, we could pull off a larger scale 71043 of the hogwarts castle, we will see!!!  

9 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Other shops, such as the Magical Menagerie and Eeylop's Owl Emporium, will probably never ever see the light of day, and honestly I'm okay with that.

I am not :tongue:
What we need is a annual set around 100$ with different buildings from DA to expand the street. I am not so sure we will get more D2C from DA:

1. they will probably use the D2C spot for something new
  2. A D2C would make DA very expensive to complete, smaller more affordable sets would make more sense
  3. More DA sets are very high on a lot of fans wish-list, so would be odd if they do not give it to us since they have limited of locations they can make set from. However looking at this years big figs they are not running out of ideas anytime soon :grin:
  4. If we do not get a DA set next year I am losing hope for anything compatible with the D2C DA, however ninjago gardens came out now several years after the 2 other sets where for sale at Lego :wacko: 

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

What we need is a annual set around 100$ with different buildings from DA to expand the street. I am not so sure we will get more D2C from DA

Whilst I'm not sure what form it should take, I'd love some more DA sets too. Gringotts should be a given, maybe the Leaky Caldron, but I'm not sure how popular the other side of the street would be as there are no well known stores of the standing of Quality Quidditch Supplies, Ollivander's, WWW, etc. 

I'd love a line up of four modules like the DA set consisting of Potage's and Malkins, Eyelop's and Wiseacre's, Mulpepper's and Slug and Jigger's, with the Menagerie being paired with another store like Gambol and Japes. 

I think the more likely thing would be to get a couple of extra shops with a Gringotts set and a Leaky Cauldron set, and that be it. 

I think it all just depends on what stores are included in a given set. The Diagon Alley we currently have works because it mixes obscure shops with very well known ones like Ollivanders, Flourish & Blotts and Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Most of the stores LEGO hasn't done yet are relatively obscure ones that would probably have to be paired with a well known shop or building to appeal to the general audiences. Aside from Gringotts, the Leaky Cauldron and possibly Borgin & Burkes I don't think there are any shops left that are popular/well known enough to catch the interest of the general public, which would be the group LEGO would want to reel in.

I couldnt help myself because I was so curious so I made Chamber of Secrets in stud.io. There were two options, either place it somewhere in ground level or go underground which would mean that I would have to build rock foundation for the entire castle to lift it. I chose 1st option and tried to find right place for it between other buildings. Only logical option was to place it beween Grand Staricase tower and Astronomy Tower. I also did 2nd and 3rd variant which are more movie accurate as they have bathroom placed above Chamber of Secrets. I dont know if you will like any of them too, but I just wanted to show you how many possibilities you have with these sets.

1. variant where bathroom set is connected to Astronomy Tower (its not visible in the picture)

Ius6gXU.jpg

2. variant where I placed bathroom above Chamber of Secrets

cfCQX4M.jpg

3. variant where I put Forbidden Corridor next to Chamber of Secrets

VCF9ID7.jpg

Edited by Textorix

1 hour ago, Textorix said:

I couldnt help myself because I was so curious so I made Chamber of Secrets in stud.io. There were two options, either place it somewhere in ground level or go underground which would mean that I would have to build rock foundation for the entire castle to lift it. I chose 1st option and tried to find right place for it between other buildings. Only logical option was to place it beween Great Staricase tower and Astronomy Tower. The big problem was that when I put Forbidden Corridor set on it, it looked ugly and just too blocky, so instead I put there Lockharts classroom and his cabinet which isnt perfect either but my OCD doesnt scream that much when I look at it. I dont know if you will like it too but I just wanted to show you how many possibilities you have with these sets.

This is the best seeing all these options. Well done. You should duplicate the rock section for fun and raise it all to see what it could be like if it was all raised up. 

Gringotts and Broomstix

More fantasy stuff, if we actually got Gringotts this year it might have been something like this. Shrunk down my bigger moc to fit with the official set. 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I think it all just depends on what stores are included in a given set. The Diagon Alley we currently have works because it mixes obscure shops with very well known ones like Ollivanders, Flourish & Blotts and Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Most of the stores LEGO hasn't done yet are relatively obscure ones that would probably have to be paired with a well known shop or building to appeal to the general audiences. Aside from Gringotts, the Leaky Cauldron and possibly Borgin & Burkes I don't think there are any shops left that are popular/well known enough to catch the interest of the general public, which would be the group LEGO would want to reel in.

This is true, Gringotts is the big outlier now and with the vaults and dragons, feels like it could be a set in itself without putting other shops in too.

Shops like Madam Malkins and Fortescue's are nice nods to book readers but won't mean a lot to the vast majority and definitely not set-sellers in their own right. I don't think Leaky Cauldron and Borgin & Burkes are set-sellers, they definitely fit more into the flourish&blotts/ollivanders level where they're recognisable but need a bigger building i.e. WWW to increase the worth of the set to the average consumer. 

Luckily the MOCs are of such good quality that the alley is easily expanded for hardcore enthusiasts, but at a premium to buy all of the bricks. :(

1 hour ago, Micmac said:

This is the best seeing all these options. Well done. You should duplicate the rock section for fun and raise it all to see what it could be like if it was all raised up. 

Thank you, yeah, I could try it just for fun :D

Edited by Textorix

1 hour ago, Micmac said:

More fantasy stuff, if we actually got Gringotts this year it might have been something like this. Shrunk down my bigger moc to fit with the official set. 

Honestly I would be fine even with a shrunken version like this because it fits really well with Diagon Alley scale.

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I do think that Eeylop's Owl Emporium and Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions are well-known and would be very popular. After all, these two shops were the first Diagon Alley set back in the 2001. I would be delighted to see these two shops again!

Edited by Shiene

Leak season is over, back to discussing DA extensions :laugh_hard:

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but that’s obviously not gonna happen this year, so shouldn’t we focus more on what DOES get released instead? :tongue: 

On 4/18/2021 at 4:48 AM, Clone OPatra said:

The books themselves don't interest me, the interiors are quite weak and aside from McGonagall and Flitwick all minifigures suck as they're either inaccurate students or downgraded teachers.

I dunno, I quite like the Snape minifigure included in the potions book. I also think the interior designs for the potions class can be easily used for a decent potions class MOC.

I am a little late to the party in sharing my thoughts about on the new anniversary wave. I made a YT video a few days ago, but my opinion has slightly changed on them since.

I think this is a pretty good wave, mostly because of how well I think the designers replicated and modernized the look and feel of the 2001 sets. This new wave has a real charm to it, which is why I think it might be my favorite line of Hogwarts buildings so far. Granted, these sets look significantly better from the inside. The exterior I'll admit is really weak. If I end up getting these sets (I probably will), I'll end up displaying the interiors. The strongest set of the Hogwarts builds is the Chamber of Secrets. I really like the interiors (the Chamber of Secrets' look doesn't bother me too much), and I'm really excited to play around with the new modular system. The next best Hogwarts set for me is the bathroom. I dig the look. The minifigure selection in terms of parts for Slytherin students is really nice, and I like the overall look of the build. The flying lesson set is good from the outside. I really don't have much to say on it. The Fluffy Encounter is pretty weak. The build for Fluffy is pretty blocky and gross, and the exposed Mixel joint pieces are bad. The designers probably could have hidden them. I'll still probably get it to fill out the castle and again, experiment with the modular system.

Hogsmeade didn't really impress me at first, but it has grown on me. This might be my go-to Christmas LEGO set to display. I like the minifigures, and I already am thinking about what other figures that already exist can go there (the CMF Ron and Hermione immediately came to mind).

I don't care for the buildable Harry and Hermione. I am curious to how the cloak piece Harry has can be used for CCBS/Bionicle MOCs, though. The chess set is whatever. Fawkes looks pretty good, but I'll more than likely pass on that set, too.

9 minutes ago, Henry Bricklider said:

I dunno, I quite like the Snape minifigure included in the potions book. I also think the interior designs for the potions class can be easily used for a decent potions class MOC.

I don't know how it ended up looking like you were quoting/replying to me, since that text was from Guyon, which I was replying to in the first place! I personally am not so harsh on the Moments sets, they just don't interest me besides the single McGonagall figure, her head and hair-hat specifically. The Snape figure does look a bit odd with his open coat, but maybe in person it'd look different.

50 minutes ago, Shiene said:

I do think that Eeylop's Owl Emporium and Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions are well-known and would be very popular. After all, these two shops were the first Diagon Alley set back in the 2001. I would be delighted to see these two shops again!

I sort of agree but I don't think there are enough iconic buildings left to do another set on the scale of the first Diagon Alley - assuming that they capitalize on Gringotts being a standalone set with dragons and vaults etc which I feel like they are more likely to do.

Iconic DA buildings left are; Eeylops Owl Emporium, Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, Madam Malkin's Robes and Borgin&Burkes (if you count KA, which I think you can, as Lego have done before). You've then got others such as Potage's Cauldrons, Sugarplums, Magical Menagarie, Slug&Jiggers and Broomstix which could be 'filler' like Scribbulus and the Daily Prophet office.

For impactful film scenes you have:

Gringotts (Harrys first visit, the dragon escape)

The Leaky Cauldron (plenty of scenes but most iconic is probably Harry with the monster book of monsters)

Borgin&Burkes (Harry's first visit with the creepy hand, also the Malfoys in HBP and the Vanishing Cabinet)

Gringotts is obviously the star attraction here in terms of making a set with play value, so I just worry that LEGO won't bother to make a Diagon Alley Pt. 2 but will instead focus on a big Gringotts. I'd love a standalone Gringotts and a smaller Diagon Alley expansion potentially being feasible? I mean my absolute dream is a Diagon Alley Part Two, with Leaky Cauldron, Madam Malkins, Eeylops, Potages, Sugarplums, Slug & Jiggers and Magical Menagarie to be the same width as the 2020 set :)

Edited by drewdotexe

1 hour ago, Shiene said:

I think that is the Magical Menagerie rather than Eeylops as it has more than just owls, not that that really detracts from your point :classic:

That surely is an impressive build. I'm debating whether you're a Harry Potter fanatic, or simply have a lot of time on your hands :wink: :laugh: 

Thank you for sharing.

5 hours ago, Textorix said:

1. variant where bathroom set is connected to Astronomy Tower (its not visible in the picture)

Ius6gXU.jpg

2. variant where I placed bathroom above Chamber of Secrets

cfCQX4M.jpg

3. variant where I put Forbidden Corridor next to Chamber of Secrets

VCF9ID7.jpg

Personally I like the first variant the most. Second variation will look much better if you lift AT and GH (2018) adding rock foundation. Have you considered adding  chess sets under this layout? It would be nice to have kitchen under 2018 GH too.

Your work is amazing, look forward to seeing more posts.