Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

For anyone who still doesn’t believe that the new Hogwarts system was designed to be a series of interlocking interior focused play sets (cough @Textorix cough) take a look at LEGO’s marketing images on their S@H site. 

The 2018-2020 sets all feature an exterior castle image for their thumbnails. When you click through to look at the product, all the photos of kids playing with the sets and the photos that feature the sets on display focus on exterior shots.

Compare that to the new 2021 Hogwarts anniversary system - the main thumbnail image for the biggest set in the new series is an interior image. They have even arranged the interior “backwards” so that the tower is on the right to make it more reminiscent of the Great Hall / Grand Staircase Tower silhouette. Also all of the photos of kids playing with the sets feature interior shots only.

My point being - the 2021 sets are neither worse nor better than the 2018-2020 sets. Obviously, we all love the original reboot sets - that’s why we’re here. They featured gorgeous (mostly) screen accurate exteriors that allowed you to recreate your own Hogwarts for display.

The 2021 sets are not that. Instead we are getting beautiful highly detailed interiors that are both playable and displayable. It’s something different. Something that feels a bit younger. Something nostalgic...

I for one can’t wait to get my hands on the Hogwarts Chamber of Secrets set, as well as the Polyjuice Potion set and the Forbidden Corridor set so I can put them all together and relive a bit of childhood magic.

I’m also ridiculously excited over those tiny printed Chocolate Frog tiles... Gimmick or no, they got me hook line and sinker. The whole concept gives me a major Mini Brands vibe and I love it.

For those that don’t know - Mini Brands are super popular mystery toys in the US where you collect tiny versions of your favorite branded items - from itsy bitsy Cheerios boxes to little bottles of Hershey’s chocolate syrup.

Gotta collect em all.

46 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Granted I felt somewhat excited when the book sets leaked, but it’s usually this honeymoon high and then I lose interest in some sets. Hopefully that won’t happen with these new ones.

I also think thought the books were exciting. I still quite like some aspects of them, especially the stickers. I would almost buy the stickers on their own, buy 1. I don't have any of the proper sized castle sets to incorporate them into and 2. I don't know if there are any tiles big enough for the larger book stickers. (I really like the Fat Friar one)

I think the main think that's stopping me buying them is the price. Also like Slughorn I'd want the set, so that adds up to quite a bit.

51 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Kinda sucks to think that we’ll have to wait some more years to get all the characters we want, along with some more boring Mantises and Helgas in disguise.

As some others have detailed, there actually aren't all that many more important characters left to go, and besides Pomfrey and Lee Jordan, most missing ones are from later films not being covered in this wave. This wave is giving us Crabbe and Goyle with new faceprints at least! And a good new Hooch. I also don't personally mind when faces are reused for unimportant side characters like those in Hogsmeade, but it's annoying when important mains have reused faces.

14 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

My point being - the 2021 sets are neither worse nor better than the 2018-2020 sets.

You're definitely right that LEGO is leaning on the interiors, but they didn't go quite all the way: the box fronts still show the exterior side of the Castle, besides the Bathroom set.

However, while it's your opinion that the 2021 aren't better or worse because they're different, in my opinion they're worse. Two out of four Hogwarts sets here have some good interior: the Chamber of Secrets/Great Hall set and the Bathroom. Quidditch and Forbidden Corridor have basic or empty interiors, and like I've said Forbidden Corridor's interior doesn't even properly work on its own (without leaving a turret off by itself). Even the Great Hall set: the Chamber is a statue, some bones and a slide, the Hall is a severely scaled down and pared back version compared to the 2018 one, but Lockhart's two rooms are very good. Add to that the problem of them using the 8x8 grill pieces instead of 8x8 plates, and yeah, I'm going to say in my personal opinion these are different... and worse.

32 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

As some others have detailed, there actually aren't all that many more important characters left to go, and besides Pomfrey and Lee Jordan, most missing ones are from later films not being covered in this wave.

I also don't personally mind when faces are reused for unimportant side characters like those in Hogsmeade, but it's annoying when important mains have reused faces.

I'd also add Percy, Karkaroff, Rita Skeeter and Barty Crouch Snr to that list.

I don't mind about the reuse of the Mantis face for Madam Rosmerta as it actually worked for her as opposed to Bellatrix. Mrs Flume though I don't think looked very like she did it in the film, but that's a nitpick on my part as I'm a fan of the dvd extras for PoA (where there is a Honeydukes tour part) ss site doesn't appear in the actual film much.

28 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I'd also add Percy, Karkaroff, Rita Skeeter and Barty Crouch Snr to that list.

I didn't mean to dive back into the missing minifigure discussion as it's been well covered, but yes we need Percy and he could've been in one of these sets for sure! The rest you listed aren't in the films covered in this particular wave.

My point was mainly that, while there are plenty of fair criticisms to be had with these sets, stringing us along for characters and minifigure parts isn't one of them in my opinion. This theme has provided us with SO many of the characters already in such a short time, and fairly accurately to boot. I've had my gripes with some figures along the way but overall this theme excels at delivering in that department, especially when compared to its previous iterations and to other ongoing Licensed themes that fall short on breadth/accuracy of characters and leave off important ones for 20+ years of continuous releases (looking at you SW)!

2 hours ago, BigHobbit said:

Today, I received the Astronomy Tower as a birthday present.

Happy Birthday! Hope you have fun building. :classic:

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

Even the Great Hall set: the Chamber is a statue, some bones and a slide, the Hall is a severely scaled down and pared back version compared to the 2018 one, but Lockhart's two rooms are very good. Add to that the problem of them using the 8x8 grill pieces instead of 8x8 plates, and yeah, I'm going to say in my personal opinion these are different... and worse.

I was actually really impressed by the new Chamber’s statue and slide, neither of which I was really expecting. There’s also the amazing snake door and the mouth-opening tunnel for the snake - apart from not being able to fit figures on top of Slytherin I don’t know how the chamber could be improved and think it’s much superior to the 2002 set. 

2 hours ago, Nick unassembled said:

Just curious as I'm having a tough time deciding, do people prefer the CoS Tom Riddle or the book exclusive Tom Riddle? Thanks:)

Definitely book

2 hours ago, Nick unassembled said:

Just curious as I'm having a tough time deciding, do people prefer the CoS Tom Riddle or the book exclusive Tom Riddle? Thanks:)

Book. While I understand the attempt to bring in more color with the new variant, I think the all-black design looks so much better. I also prefer the original face print. My only issue with that figure is the hairpiece, but, since they use the same piece on the new figure, that point is irrelevant. 

I don't have the 2020 figure yet, but I plan on buying the book when I get the CoS so I can display him with that set instead of the new variant.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, ???theriddler??? said:

Really... what the hell! Well have to buy the sets somewhere else. 150 euro for the chamber of secrets is INSANE!

It's about 180 in Sweden... 

3 hours ago, Nick unassembled said:

I bought the book some time ago and I really prefer this Tom Riddle. I don't like the CoS Riddle, nor his face nor his outfit, mainly the lower part.

The Devil's Snare is worse than the original from a decade ago, it could have been in a room the same footprint as the floor above I think, and include a more dynamic ‘trap’ mechanism. At least the set is not expensive, it feels like a much bigger set than Grawp and in the UK at least is about the same price

I plan to modify it with the dark vines from the stranger things house and add a light-brick feature to represent Hermione’s spell!

On a plus though I like the harp build, I was expecting a new mould but they managed to pull it off with existing parts in a creative way 

Edited by Bugbot20082

8 hours ago, BigHobbit said:

Today, I received the Astronomy Tower as a birthday present.

Happy birthday and have fun building the AT, you’re in for a treat with this one :laugh:

9 hours ago, BigHobbit said:

Today, I received the Astronomy Tower as a birthday present. I think this build will nicely conclude my minifigure Hogwarts. And as neat as the CoS Hogwarts and attaching sets are, I think I'm good focusing on the Hogsmeade and Chess sets for the Harry Potter summer wave. And then we'll see what 2022 brings. :-)

Happy Birthday! 🎉

CoS and Hogsmeade are up for pre-order at Smyths and a few online retailers for June 1st, so they aren't exclusives in the UK. Nothing else is, though.

37 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

CoS and Hogsmeade are up for pre-order at Smyths and a few online retailers for June 1st, so they aren't exclusives in the UK. Nothing else is, though.

Yes I found those on Amazon for preorder yesterday, but not the others. 🤔 I'm reluctant to preorder from Lego even with double VIP because their shipping of preorders can be dreadfully slow. If there was a promo I'd be more willing, but otherwise I'd rather do Amazon because last year they had reduced the bigger sets by a few £s even on release day and shipped quicker. Not sure what to do yet. What are you thinking?

Edited by BacktoBricks

46 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

It's really strange that different regions have different sets available for pre-order.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the US gets Fawkes, Wizard's Chess, and the giant buildable figures because demand is expected to be lower for those sets, and LEGO can therefore more easily meet that demand.  That said, my even-more-conspiracist-side also wouldn't be surprised one bit if the rest of the sets go up for preorder in all regions on Wednesday, after the Double VIP promotion ends.|

EDIT: Against my better judgment, I preordered Wizard's Chess for myself and Fawkes for my girlfriend.  She is also interested in the giant buildable figures, but I won't pay full price for those things without a special occasion to do so.  :blush:

Edited by RogueTwo

On 4/16/2021 at 6:31 PM, BrickFunatic said:

For people in the UK you do get double points on pre-orders and you don't get billed until they ship. However flying lessons, big figs and chess are not up for pre-order yet.

Did you get this confirmed by customer service? :classic:

23 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

It's really strange that different regions have different sets available for pre-order.

In Italy, on Amazon, you can preorder Cos and Hogsmeade, but in a Sammarinese (not Italy, but, well, not really so distant :snicker:) online retail I bought from in the past you can preorder also Fluffy and Bathroom.

Edited by BrickMatit

I've just seen on UK amazon that some sets are discounted.

The moments books are £22.00 (was £27.99)

Buildable Hedwig is £27.99 (was £34.99)

There's discounts on most of the sets but I'm not going type everyone of them.

I realize the advantage of pre-ordering to make sure you get the set immediately. But I've noticed this earlier wave has been available from the start and still sitting on shelves...Is it because people don't like the memory books as much?

I just don't think I'm going to pre-order anything. I'll be able to pick up these easily in stores (I realize not everywhere has been so lucky). Or I can just as easily wait a bit to pick them up since I don't think I've ever needed a set on Day 1. I have too much of a backlog anyway.

But so far I've been impressed with these new sets, so unfortunately will have to get them all...goodbye projected savings for 2021...

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Happy birthday and have fun building the AT, you’re in for a treat with this one :laugh:

Thanks! I've been looking forward to it for about a year now! :-)

3 hours ago, Timemaster1985 said:

Happy Birthday! 🎉

Thank you!