Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

13 minutes ago, Textorix said:

If actual reboot is happening and that means we will be getting a many remakes from now I might stop collecting this theme because (etc.)

Marcos Bessa himself specifically called this a soft reboot. As in, it's a continuation just with a new style, not a full reboot. While there will inevitably be some remakes, the fact that we now know that many of the current sets won't be retiring until 2022 or after means it'll definitely be a while. (For example, the Hogwarts Express is set to retire in December 2022, meaning we wouldn't see a remake until, at earliest, Summer 2023.)

48 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

I don't think DH is completely child-unfriendly, but yes some scenes (and not only from DH) can be seen as child-unfriendly.

Try considering Malfoy Manor... in this location we had three main events: Deatheaters meeting, with Burbage killed and eaten by Nagini; Bellatrix torturing Hermione; Bellatrix killing Dobby (ok, he doesn't proper die here). Well, not proper child-frienldy scenes :snicker:

So would Lego produce Malfoy Manor set? Who knows? Probably they won't produce Malfoy Manor, but not only for what happened inside. They produced The Rise of Voldemort set, didn't they? In this scene Voldemort use Crucio on Harry, but Lego doesn't seem to have problem with it (but this scene maybe is less dark than those in Malfoy Manor). 

LEGO had plans to make a Malfoy Manor set in the 2010/2011 line, but it was ultimately canned. If it wasn't too mature to be considered back then, it won't be too mature for them to consider in the future.

Also, if they wouldn't make certain sets based on association with dark subject matter, we wouldn't have:

- The Rise of Voldemort: Cedric is murdered, Harry is tortured, Wormtail cuts his hand off

- Hagrid's Hut: Includes an Executioner to kill Buckbeak

- Expecto Patronum: Sirius gets his soul sucked out

- Hogwarts Astronomy Tower: Dumbledore is murdered, Bill is violently disfigured

- 4 Privet Drive: Harry is abused for 10 years of his childhood

Et cetera.

If LEGO didn't make sets that were associated with dark subjects, they wouldn't make Harry Potter sets at all. Or Star Wars sets. Or Jurassic Park sets, or Batman sets, or pretty much any licensed sets at all.

Everyone needs to stop fearmongering about why "OMG THEY'RE NEVER DOING DH SETS", they skipped over them this year to do a fun anniversary wave, and because sets based on the first couple years sell well because more kids have seen/read those installments. If they did Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince, they'll eventually do Deathly Hallows. Just have a bit more patience.

Unfortunately it seems Lego has determined the shelf life of any given set across all themes is around 2-3 years.  Of course if something isn't selling well like Hidden Side they pull it sooner.  So their business model seems to be to pretty much recycle everything every 2-3 years.  Frustrating for those of us who want more obsure sets as opposed to the 3rd, 4th, 5th iteration of Hogwarts Great Hall or the Ford Anglia. 

6 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Honestly even though so many leakers confirmed this I still cant believe Lego would make such a bad D2C set so I hope everyone was wrong and by some miracle it turns out to be something minifigure scale set...although most likely it is that collection of buildable items :/

I am also disappointed by that, but in the end, I believe, that most of the fans will be satisfied. Before we get those clear had pics of HP summer wave, almost everyone was bitching about it, how bad decision TLG made ..but now? Everyone is excited and thrilled to get the sets... (at least the vast majority here). So I wouldnt be so sceptical :) 

Anyway, the sets look good. For kids as playsets, they work for 120% Main question (for me at least) is, whether TLG made some add ons in the next wave(s) or is it only one-off? I am a bit confused by the inclusion of the places from 1st and 2nd movie. Perhaps there will be other sets, depicting for instance Snape's classroom (we get only golden snape so far in these "newish" sets), a mirror of Erised room, a room with flying keys etc. Personally, I will buy Hogsmeade and a chess set for now. With the rest, I will wait for the next year rumours/leaks, and also I need to save some budget for Superheroes D2C :)  

7 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Marcos Bessa himself specifically called this a soft reboot. As in, it's a continuation just with a new style, not a full reboot. While there will inevitably be some remakes, the fact that we now know that many of the current sets won't be retiring until 2022 or after means it'll definitely be a while. (For example, the Hogwarts Express is set to retire in December 2022, meaning we wouldn't see a remake until, at earliest, Summer 2023.)

Where did he said that? Youtube? Can you post a link? 

Anyway, does it means, that there wont be any add ons to the previous castle instalments (so Astronomy tower will be the last one) and from now on, they will be continuing in this style? 

9 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Honestly even though so many leakers confirmed this I still cant believe Lego would make such a bad D2C set so I hope everyone was wrong and by some miracle it turns out to be something minifigure scale set...although most likely it is that collection of buildable items :/

I still don't understand why a "Hogwarts Icons" set would be so awful. Some of the best sets of recent years have been non-minifigure-scale sets: D2C Hogwarts Castle, Nintendo Entertainment System, Saturn V, Ship in a Bottle, Voltron, etc. 

Speaking specifically on the NES, that's another collection of iconic brickbuilt objects: in this case, the Nintendo Control Deck, a cartridge, a controller, and a CRT television. I imagine this set will form a great display with cohesive items focused around a single main idea, like that one, and I'm super excited to see what this team has come up with.

12 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Also, if they wouldn't make certain sets based on association with dark subject matter, we wouldn't have:

That's exactly my point (well I hope it was clear from my comment :laugh:, I'm not sure :snicker:). That's the reason cause I continue hoping for a unicorn :laugh:

I'm sure they'll do DH sets at some point, and even if won't be next year (enjoy that hand of yours if that's the case, @THELEGOBATMAN :moar:), at least there's still the prospect of a third CMF series to fill in some of the gaps :laugh: Last year's Griphook minifig should prove that DH won't be ignored.

I honestly believe the "Hogwart's Icons" is just a classification term like they did with the "Hogwarts Moments" classification for the books that released in January.  I'm curious to see what it will actually be and am reserving judgement and taking the comments from leakers with a grain of salt.  I think the Hogwarts Castle set would definitely fall under an icon classification so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a microscale set.

26 minutes ago, karrit said:

Unfortunately it seems Lego has determined the shelf life of any given set across all themes is around 2-3 years.  Of course if something isn't selling well like Hidden Side they pull it sooner.  So their business model seems to be to pretty much recycle everything every 2-3 years.  Frustrating for those of us who want more obsure sets as opposed to the 3rd, 4th, 5th iteration of Hogwarts Great Hall or the Ford Anglia. 

This is just as overdramatic as saying we will never get Deathy Hallows sets. We should definitely be expecting at least one remake next year and probably a couple per year after that, but this line isn't going to be mostly remakes for awhile. Even this wave which is literally based around all of the sets being remakes isn't entirely remakes (the three broomsticks, the main build for the flying lesson, and Lockhart's classroom/office have never been done before) and almost all of the parts that are remakes are still from sets that around 20 years old. 

We do have a set name, so in my book, there's not much wiggle room for anything but a collection of items :laugh: I agree with @Retro Brick Reviews here, the NES was among the best sets last year, so the idea of a collection of buildable iconic items does have merit. Add Dumbledoro and/or Dragold, and I'm golden. Bad pun most certainly intended :tongue:

19 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I'm sure they'll do DH sets at some point, and even if won't be next year (enjoy that hand of yours if that's the case, @THELEGOBATMAN :moar:), at least there's still the prospect of a third CMF series to fill in some of the gaps :laugh: Last year's Griphook minifig should prove that DH won't be ignored.

Oh no I stand by my claim, we'll get DH sets next year. I'm sure of it. Or else...

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Oh no I stand by my claim, we'll get DH sets next year. I'm sure of it. Or else...

I think you will be right 

2 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Or else...

...you'll be typing your future posts at half the speed :laugh_hard:

Btw, what are you guys excited to see the most next, now that the main wave has been revealed? We have:

• the 16 chocolate frog card characters
  • the D2C set
  • the two rumoured Brickheadz packs
  • the accessory pack
  • the polybag
  • the Advent Calendar

I think I'll go with the accessory pack, followed by the chocolate frog cards :classic: Even though it's very likely Quidditch-based, the accessory pack may still surprise us :laugh: And while I'm not overly fond of their randomized nature, the card tiles are simply an amazing idea, can't wait to see what characters they chose for this

2 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

This isn't the first time I've read on this forum that some scenes are too much dark for Lego to be produced (I remember this when I wished an unicorn in a Detention in the Forest set). Is it a real strategy?

I mean, it would be really strange for me, considering that all Harry Potter movies, in my italian DVD collection (I've just controlled), are marked as "Movie for All" (so without age restriction). Unfortunately I can't remember wheter they had age restriction when first appeared in cinemas.

2 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I think the Nolan Batman movies are pretty dark, right? I haven’t seen them, but they made at least two playscale sets based on those, and there are even some Marvel scenes that are darker than DH. That being said, I really doubt we would get something like the Nagini scene, or even Malfoy manor.

Considering they made a Toy Story set with the conveyor belt to burn all the toys, and a playable feature to MAKE it happen,  I don't think DH is that much worse of content to pull multiple sets.

10 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Considering they made a Toy Story set with the conveyor belt to burn all the toys, and a playable feature to MAKE it happen,  I don't think DH is that much worse of content to pull multiple sets.

Yeah, that's probably the most morbid LEGO set ever made.

Also, speaking of dark content, literally today LEGO put out an ad for the new Darth Vader helmet that's based on the scene from the scene in Rogue One where he massacres a hallway full of Rebel troops. So, I doubt there's any cap on dark subject matter of the murder-y variety.

(The only question is which is darker: a scene of violent slaughter, or the torture I went through sitting through Rogue One:snicker:)

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews
Clarity

32 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

This is just as overdramatic as saying we will never get Deathy Hallows sets. We should definitely be expecting at least one remake next year and probably a couple per year after that, but this line isn't going to be mostly remakes for awhile. Even this wave which is literally based around all of the sets being remakes isn't entirely remakes (the three broomsticks, the main build for the flying lesson, and Lockhart's classroom/office have never been done before) and almost all of the parts that are remakes are still from sets that around 20 years old. 

I was speaking to their business model in general not meant to be specifically about HP.  If you think about it we now have at least 3 versions of potions classrooms and related teachers offices as well as 3 or 4 for DADA.  I take them as different versions rather than remakes while others would call them remakes.  Some on here have complained about multiple different sections of the castle saying we don't need anymore while others are still waiting for dorms, classrooms, Bell Towers, Library.  We all want to see certain things come from this theme.  Personally I'm mostly happy with what we've gotten so far.

39 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

If it isn't minifigure scale they can keep it, as far as I'm concerned. 

I totally agree.

Edited by karrit

3 hours ago, Modal said:

This alone should tell LEGO why the black boxes are a mistake.

From what I have heard they are a huge success :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

And don't get me started on that dumb argument with "too dark for Lego". Those movies are regular PG-13 movies.

They have made DH sets before and will make it again, this "too dark" I agree is stupid. However if we got DH sets this year it would feel like a end to the theme, so instead they used the 20 years as a excuse to start over. We may get DH sets next year, but would not be surprised if we must wait several years and get 3-6 first again. Except some minor parts of the COS set everything is new this year so they have a lot they can make from the 6 first movies that they skipped the first round. So maybe after 3 years covering all movies a second round they will be forced to do more remakes :shrug_oh_well:

Is anyone else considering skipping Hogwarts: Fluffy Encounter and planning to just BL Fluffy and call it a day? I've really been thinking about wether or not I should pre-order the set over the last 2 days but a pricetag of 35-45 euro (depending on the discount) is a pretty hefty one for a set with a mediocre build, a minimal amount of useful pieces, no useful stickers and lackluster (but accurate) figures. The Bathroom, CoS and Hogsmeade are obvious day 1 purchases for me but I don't remember ever feeling as conflicted about a LEGO set as this one :sceptic:

8 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Is anyone else considering skipping Hogwarts: Fluffy Encounter and planning to just BL Fluffy and call it a day? I've really been thinking about wether or not I should pre-order the set over the last 2 days but a pricetag of 35-45 euro (depending on the discount) is a pretty hefty one for a set with a mediocre build, a minimal amount of useful pieces, no useful stickers and lackluster (but accurate) figures. The Bathroom, CoS and Hogsmeade are obvious day 1 purchases for me but I don't remember ever feeling as conflicted about a LEGO set as this one :sceptic:

I'm in the same boat!  Except I'll be Bricklinking the old Fluffy.  I kept holding out hope that the new one would be better, but...nope.  The generic minifigures and poor build seal the deal for me.  This is the first time I'm passing up a Harry Potter set because I want to, not because I can't afford it.  :sceptic:

Edited by RogueTwo

We expected them to have to make a new Great Hall every 3-4 years tho? And this one is definitely different enough that it's still a great new addition to the line. If this Chamber of Secrets set can last us another 3 years before a third Great Hall, then imo the designers gave us our best case scenario

49 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I feel like Fluffy itself is actually the worst part of that set. That build is really one of the worst creatures I've ever seen in Lego, like, ever.

The set itself works okay as an expansion, not too good as a standalone set.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

...you'll be typing your future posts at half the speed :laugh_hard:

Btw, what are you guys excited to see the most next, now that the main wave has been revealed? We have:

• the 16 chocolate frog card characters
  • the D2C set
  • the two rumoured Brickheadz packs
  • the accessory pack
  • the polybag
  • the Advent Calendar

I think I'll go with the accessory pack, followed by the chocolate frog cards :classic: Even though it's very likely Quidditch-based, the accessory pack may still surprise us :laugh: And while I'm not overly fond of their randomized nature, the card tiles are simply an amazing idea, can't wait to see what characters they chose for this

Has to be the AC for me, followed by cards.

I'll definitely buy it, and I wonder how it will look, especially with that board game element that's been mentioned. It also seems to be more of various location based than just Hogwarts, which feels fresh. I really want also to see if there are more than just 5 minfigures.

Cards I'm really excited for, and I want to see which characters they've chosen.

I don't care about the rest. I'll appreciate seeing them, but that's not stuff I'd even consider buying.

Other than the Great Hall, does anyone know what particular sections of the actual castle these sets are intended to represent? Or are they just generic Hogwarts-esque walls? 

12 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I'll definitely buy it, and I wonder how it will look, especially with that board game element that's been mentioned.

The board game is part of the packaging, so most likely printed on the flap that usually serves as the backdrop :classic: 

13 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I really want also to see if there are more than just 5 minfigures.

I'm also wondering about that. 5 would definitely be a low count 

14 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I don't care about the rest. I'll appreciate seeing them, but that's not stuff I'd even consider buying.

Not even the polybag? *oh2*

18 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I feel like Fluffy itself is actually the worst part of that set. That build is really one of the worst creatures I've ever seen in Lego, like, ever.

I agree, but it's odd, because I think the new Basilisk is one of the best LEGO molded creatures ever made :classic:

Edited by RogueTwo