Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

It would be interesting if someone asked the designer guy why they released Hogsmeade in a year focused on movies 1 and 2. 

Also (don't know if this would be skating around asking about future releases) why they broke their release schedule - was it because of the anniversary or is DH too child-unfriendly? 

What I don’t get is why is LEGO pretending that DH doesn’t exist? I cannot imagine that a company that is ok with Avengers and criminals and guns etc would be against a slightly darker HP book/movie. 

1 hour ago, autolycus said:

I hate to be a party pooper, but can the mods please consider breaking this into more specialized threads? 

I feel like you could just ask a question if you have one and one of the people who read the thread more regularly could give you an answer without you having to read every single post.

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Are we sure that the D2C isn't a minifigure-scale set and that the icons set is something different? 

Yes, we are sure. And this doesn't mean minifigures can't be included in the set

11 minutes ago, OrderOfTheBrick said:

You could possibly conclude from this that Fawkes is the successor to Hedwig and maybe this will be continue by a Pixie or niffler next year? Additionally that there are also plans for a successor to the buildable minifigures (Ron ?). This is because both do not have anniversary packaging.  It seems like Lego really wants to separate those two sets from the rest by packaging, no golden fig and no random wizard cards.

I think that Lego separated Fawkes set cause this is not an anniversary set, but it continues last year Hedwig set; maybe we will have some other brickbuilt creature next years.

Same reason for keeping H&H set separated from anniversary sets: Lego bets and hopes this set will sell well so they would easily continue the next year with Ron (and Dumbledore/Voldemort/...).

12 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

I think that Lego separated Fawkes set cause this is not an anniversary set, but it continues last year Hedwig set; maybe we will have some other brickbuilt creature next years.

I'd love to see a flying Buckbeak next year, if this is a new trend!

Honestly one of the best and most overlooked things about this wave is the box art! Man That Hogsmeade background is beautiful. This alone should tell LEGO why the black boxes are a mistake.

Who’s going to help me MOC those other buildings in the background for a proper Hogsmeade village :grin:

36 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

It would be interesting if someone asked the designer guy why they released Hogsmeade in a year focused on movies 1 and 2. 

Also (don't know if this would be skating around asking about future releases) why they broke their release schedule - was it because of the anniversary or is DH too child-unfriendly? 

In the UK DH1 and 2 are rated 12A, HBP received a 12 so has the oldest certificate in the series. On that basis HBP is less child friendly than the last two films

By contrast the first 3 films are all PG, then GoF and OotP also share the 12 A rating of DH1 and 2.

Whole lot of acronyms there :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Modal said:

Honestly one of the best and most overlooked things about this wave is the box art!

I guess you haven't seen Ron's face yet then? :laugh_hard:

42 minutes ago, Modal said:

What I don’t get is why is LEGO pretending that DH doesn’t exist? I cannot imagine that a company that is ok with Avengers and criminals and guns etc would be against a slightly darker HP book/movie. 

It's not like they had time to make those. Where are they pretending they don't exist?

2018 was for year 1-2, 2019 was for 3-4 and 2020 was for 5-6. 2021 would be for year 7, but they have 20th anniversary this year. That means that they had to push DH wave to 2022.

And don't get me started on that dumb argument with "too dark for Lego". Those movies are regular PG-13 movies.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

2018 was for year 1-2, 2019 was for 3-4 and 2020 was for 5-6. 2021 would be for year 7, but they have 20th anniversary this year. That means that they had to push DH wave to 2022.

2021 is also the 10th anniversary of DH though, so it's still a bit weird :shrug_oh_well:

11 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It's not like they had time to make those. Where are they pretending they don't exist?

And don't get me started on that dumb argument with "too dark for Lego". Those movies are regular PG-13 movies.

I’m saying this based on Marcos’ words that this is a soft reboot. I bet next year will be PoA in this new style.

Also I would love to see the exterior with all the sets built. I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about how the verticality really helps this style shine over the other. I hope next wave they make expansions that are even taller than the great hall.

Edited by Modal

I also asked Marcos Bessa a few questions. I haven't read all the pages, so apologies if any questions have been asked before.

Q: What inspired you to make the CoS set?
A: Well, the inspiration was the Chamber of Secrets movie!

Q: Did you ever consider making this set the same style as previous sets?
A: It is connectable with other Hogwarts sets as it has the same side connectors, but I wanted to do something special for Harry Potter's 20th anniversary.

Q: Will the style will continue next year?
A: Can't really speak about the future or about what might be coming out... just wait and see.

Huge thanks to Marcos for answering them!

57 minutes ago, Modal said:

This isn't the first time I've read on this forum that some scenes are too much dark for Lego to be produced (I remember this when I wished an unicorn in a Detention in the Forest set). Is it a real strategy?

I mean, it would be really strange for me, considering that all Harry Potter movies, in my italian DVD collection (I've just controlled), are marked as "Movie for All" (so without age restriction). Unfortunately I can't remember wheter they had age restriction when first appeared in cinemas.

I hope they sell they start selling the Butterbeer mug/polyjuice potion on B&P.  It would have been nice if there had been at least 2 polyjuice glasses in the bathroom set.  Based on the pictures we will only be getting one glass and two potion bottles.  At least the mug will be in the Hogsmeade set but I need more of that green variant.

7 minutes ago, Modal said:

I’m saying this based on Marcos’ words that this is a soft reboot. I bet next year will be PoA in this new style.

What you're describing is a hard reboot though :tongue:

2 minutes ago, karrit said:

I hope they sell they start selling the Butterbeer mug/polyjuice potion on B&P.  It would have been nice if there had been at least 2 polyjuice glasses in the bathroom set.  Based on the pictures we will only be getting one glass and two potion bottles.  At least the mug will be in the Hogsmeade set but I need more of that green variant.

It's a licensed part so the chances it'll make it's way to B&P are pretty slim.

1 hour ago, BrickFunatic said:

I think the Nolan Batman movies are pretty dark, right? I haven’t seen them, but they made at least two playscale sets based on those, and there are even some Marvel scenes that are darker than DH. That being said, I really doubt we would get something like the Nagini scene, or even Malfoy manor.

Edited by Brickroll

10 minutes ago, Modal said:

That's not a soft reboot, that's just a reboot. A soft reboot would be sets that are a direct continuation of what came before, while also acting as a new entry point that retreads some aspects of the original sets. (A good example of a soft reboot is Star Wars The Force Awakens: It is a sequel to the original Star Wars trilogy, while also being in some ways a remake of the original film, and acting as a new entry point for new fans.) By saying this is a soft reboot, he's essentially confirming that this isn't a full reset, but rather just a new beginning to the same story.

27 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's a licensed part so the chances it'll make it's way to B&P are pretty slim.

One can only hope.  They do sell the ice cream glass in orange and did briefly offer the clear version before removing it.

2 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

is DH too child-unfriendly? 

I don't think DH is completely child-unfriendly, but yes some scenes (and not only from DH) can be seen as child-unfriendly.

Try considering Malfoy Manor... in this location we had three main events: Deatheaters meeting, with Burbage killed and eaten by Nagini; Bellatrix torturing Hermione; Bellatrix killing Dobby (ok, he doesn't proper die here). Well, not proper child-frienldy scenes :snicker:

So would Lego produce Malfoy Manor set? Who knows? Probably they won't produce Malfoy Manor, but not only for what happened inside. They produced The Rise of Voldemort set, didn't they? In this scene Voldemort use Crucio on Harry, but Lego doesn't seem to have problem with it (but this scene maybe is less dark than those in Malfoy Manor). 

But DH is also Wedding, Tent, Lovegood Home, Sneak into the Ministry, Gringotts Excape, Last Duel. And I don't find this scenes so dark.

So, if Lego want (and why they shouldn't?) they could easily produce some DH sets.

Edited by BrickMatit

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Also I would love to see the exterior with all the sets built. I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about how the verticality really helps this style shine over the other. I hope next wave they make expansions that are even taller than the great hall.

That's not a soft reboot then - it's a major reboot of the whole theme.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

2021 is also the 10th anniversary of DH though, so it's still a bit weird :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah, but it's also 20th anniversary of PS.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

If actual reboot is happening and that means we will be getting a many remakes from now I might stop collecting this theme because I dont see any reason to continue then. I thought they had still many new ideas what to do in years to come but it seems like they are going full on star wars way... sad. Seriously if next year they will come with green roof Clock Tower, Hagrids hut, Hogwarts Express I am done with this theme. I get that at some point they had to do this for younger generations but I thought it would be in like 5 years and not 3.

Edited by Textorix

2 hours ago, Modal said:

Honestly one of the best and most overlooked things about this wave is the box art! Man That Hogsmeade background is beautiful. This alone should tell LEGO why the black boxes are a mistake.

Who’s going to help me MOC those other buildings in the background for a proper Hogsmeade village :grin:

Agreed 1000% I love those designs! 

4 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Are we sure that the D2C isn't a minifigure-scale set and that the icons set is something different? 

Honestly even though so many leakers confirmed this I still cant believe Lego would make such a bad D2C set so I hope everyone was wrong and by some miracle it turns out to be something minifigure scale set...although most likely it is that collection of buildable items :/