Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

So upon asking Marcos Bessa, he said that this new wave of Hogwarts sets is intended to be a soft reboot of the castle for the new generations of HP fans, though they are connectable to the prior 2018-2020 sets. 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance
Specifically about the castle sections, not the wave as a whole necessarily.

I was away from this thread for not even a week, and again it's added 50 pages. It's gotten to the point where if someone is gone for a week, it could take an hour or more to try to catch up to every discussion that's going on in the intertwined mega thread. I hate to be a party pooper, but can the mods please consider breaking this into more specialized threads? Clearly the Harry Potter theme has enough discussion at this point to support more than just the one thread. It might not yet be enough to support. I know the previous setup had gotten really hard to enforce, but the current setup makes it really hard for more casual members to keep up with even the most basic discussions.

Sorry! I hate to be negative. I love all the discussion, but it's become impossible for me to follow the lines of discussion that I want to follow or join.

My main issue with the 2018-2020 Hogwarts castle not getting another expansion is that it makes the choices of dorms incredibly strange. Surely if they were only going to make two dorms they would've made Griffindor and Slytherin?

I think a bell towers set that works with the 2018-2020 sets is still plausible. It's something that could work in the new square style but also have a decent exterior like the flying class set. I'd love to see one next year including the remaining dorms, room of hidden things, and maybe a library. 

5 minutes ago, autolycus said:

I was away from this thread for not even a week, and again it's added 50 pages.

Isn't that to be expected when an entire wave of sets has just been revealed? 

8 minutes ago, autolycus said:

I was away from this thread for not even a week, and again it's added 50 pages. It's gotten to the point where if someone is gone for a week, it could take an hour or more to try to catch up to every discussion that's going on in the intertwined mega thread. I hate to be a party pooper, but can the mods please consider breaking this into more specialized threads?

Honestly I think 50 pages is rather low considering we got reveals for 8 sets this week. Notably those sets include our first look at the rebooted castle and the mostly new concept of massive brickbuilt minifigures as a stand-alone set. Not to mention things people have been waiting for since the line rebooted like hogsmeade, the chamber of secrets, and fluffy. 

25 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

So upon asking Marcos Bessa, he said that this new wave of Hogwarts sets is intended to be a soft reboot of the castle for the new generations of HP fans, though they are connectable to the prior 2018-2020 sets. 

So this basically confirms that they wont return to 2018-2020 style with dark bluish grey roofs :(

8 minutes ago, Textorix said:

So this basically confirms that they wont return to 2018-2020 style with dark bluish grey roofs :(

Upon talking to him more, he said that they switched to the sand green for a feeling of newness to the sets, as well as to emulate the classic style of green roofs for the 20th anniversary. 

7 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Should I give up hope for any secret sets or the D2C being minifigure-scale now? Should I just accept that this is our lot for 2021?

Marcos Bessa seemed to hint at the Dumbledore figure being included in another upcoming set. Are we sure that the D2C isn't a minifigure-scale set and that the icons set is something different? 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

PS Gringotts and Leaky Cauldron would have been PERFECT for this anniversary wave as the D2C. :damn:

5 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Marcos Bessa seemed to hint at the Dumbledore figure being included in another upcoming set.

Interesting. The in-the-know people seem to be adamant the D2C is called Hogwarts Icons and consists of brick-built items. But there has been a lot of mix-ups this wave (with the chess set, flying set, etc.) so who knows. 

2 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

PS Gringotts and Leaky Cauldron would have been PERFECT for this anniversary wave as the D2C. :damn:

Interesting. The in-the-know people seem to be adamant the D2C is called Hogwarts Icons and consists of brick-built items. But there has been a lot of mix-ups this wave (with the chess set, flying set, etc.) so who knows. 

I'm honestly still wondering if Gringotts will be the D2C. I don't doubt that some icons set will be released, but the mix-ups make me wonder if we will be getting both, with one as the D2C and the other as a large set alongside of it. 

51 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Honestly an actual soft reboot this early in the theme's lifespan doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially considering this would mean 2 movies will always be completely absent from the 2018-2020 style.

I really like this wave, but the thing is... will these sell good? I mean, I know there are a lot of adult collectors (like me). But still, Lego is aiming toward children. Looking at the $20 dollar bathroom set... there are no play features. It's just the bathroom. I personally love it, but without all the other sets, it looks so random. Same for fluffy's encounter. I think the Chamber of Secrets and the Quiditch sets succeed the most in this, but still. 

47 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Isn't that to be expected when an entire wave of sets has just been revealed? 

I certainly don't have a problem with 50 pages of a discussion about a big announcement! Yes, lots of discussion is expected and should be encouraged. I just wonder if there are enough sub-topics now that it makes sense to split out some of the side topics. The topic is averaging over 20 pages of discussion each week in 2021. That's a lot to keep up with all the updates. What are the latest rumors? What's official? What details are there in the sets that are already out and announced? Etc. Etc.

Anyway, I was just throwing out the idea. I enjoy the thread but I've hit a point where it feels like WORK to keep up with just the sub-conversations that I enjoy. I honestly get overwhelmed and just skip past it more and more.

15 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Honestly an actual soft reboot this early in the theme's lifespan doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially considering this would mean 2 movies will always be completely absent from the 2018-2020 style.

Agree completely. It's a terrible time for a soft reboot. I already have mixed feelings about whether I want to get any of this castle wave. Hogsmeade is a definite yes, as is Fawkes. If this is a soft reboot, I may just stick to the castle sets I have and just accept that I won't get DH at all, except maybe something like Gringotts. But I'll be done with the castle if this is a reboot that will continue into 2022 and beyond.

6 minutes ago, ???theriddler??? said:

I really like this wave, but the thing is... will these sell good? I mean, I know there are a lot of adult collectors (like me). But still, Lego is aiming toward children. Looking at the $20 dollar bathroom set... there are no play features. It's just the bathroom. I personally love it, but without all the other sets, it looks so random. Same for fluffy's encounter. I think the Chamber of Secrets and the Quiditch sets succeed the most in this, but still. 

And what ~20€ sets had playfeatures in past years? Room of Requirements with sliding door and falling clipboard? Dementor set with a single stud shooter? Aragon set with a single missile shooter? Or the Voldemort set with a "coming out of the ground" and moving statue?

Those sets will sell perfectly fine.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

The sets are based on the movies, and in the movies Hogwarts doesn't have a green roof. This wave is just a one-off in terms of appearance, although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the new modular system.

47 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Should I give up hope for any secret sets or the D2C being minifigure-scale now? Should I just accept that this is our lot for 2021?

Secret sets? Yeah. What you said about the D2C? I'm not sure. We've seen how confusing HP rumours were this year, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, Felkin said:

The sets are based on the movies, and in the movies Hogwarts doesn't have a green roof. This wave is just a one-off in terms of appearance, although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the new modular system.

It wouldn't really make sense continuing the same style but with grey roofs, as that would be a 3rd style for Hogwarts sets in 5 years.

They'll either go back to the older style, or continue making new ones.

Do we know what the promos are for June yet? I would preorder with double points, but if there is promo in June I wouldn't then get it and also Lego was so slow shipping my preorder last time. I might has well have gone to Amazon because they already reduced the big set by a few £ after a few days and could ship it quicker.

Also, whilst I like Fluffy's printed faces, when the three of them are together I feel like we have a freeze frame of him happy, sneezing and angry. :laugh: And the rest of him is very blocky. So I'm glad I got the old Fluffy - it's probably the only time where I like an older piece because of quality rather than nostalgia.

3 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

And what ~20€ sets had playfeatures in past years? Room of Requirements with sliding door and falling clipboard? Dementor set with a single stud shooter? Aragon set with a single missile shooter? Or the Voldemort set with a "coming out of the ground" and moving statue?

Those sets will sell perfectly fine.

Well with the room of requirements you can actually do a "play" thing with shooting those things, or expecto patronum the demontors or battleling voldemort. With this set you can just swap hair.

Just now, ???theriddler??? said:

Well with the room of requirements you can actually do a "play" thing with shooting those things, or expecto patronum the demontors or battleling voldemort. With this set you can just swap hair.

I think that's an exaggeration. Now you're talking about playing with those sets, and 90% of that depends on child's imagination.

1 minute ago, ???theriddler??? said:

With this set you can just swap hair.

Which is still more play value than half of the 2018-2020 sets had. Kids will buy this set for the figures, they alone are enough to sell it with the fun new faces for Harry and Ron and the cat head for Hermione.

I get a real kick out of people who think the sets will sell poorly simply because they don’t like them. 

I am collector too. I have all HP sets from 2018 include BH etc. From my perspective will be better if bathroom fluffy and CoS will be one big D2C set.. The 2 smaller sets doesnt work like single sets for me....Anyway i hope that next wave will be continue of previous style of the HP sets...

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Talking about LEGOs, saying that new castle sections are connectable to the prior 18-20 sets is, in my opinion, a small lie :innocent: I mean, put two holes and two pins at the right height and you could say the same for a Star Wars set and a City one.

This new style is really different from the old one. And that doesn't mean you can't put them together with satisfation.

In my opinion, Lego took advantage of the 20th anniversary as a breaking point in the theme, using it as a new starting point. I'm not saying it's not legit! Lego, by the way, is an enterprise and so it will keep alive the Harry Potter theme (and license) as long as it will be profitable, it will try all legit strategies to broaden the buyers audience (with new type of set, like brickbuilt megafigures , art sets, reboot/remake) and try to make all of them somehow happy.

I haven't a crystal ball (or I'm using Sybill's one), but I think in the next years (if this year sets will sell well and the theme will go on for other 3/4 years) we will see new style sets (so more focused on interior and with a more playable space) from PS, CS, PoA, GF, OF (Winged Keys Room and Final Challenge, Durmstrang Ship, Fred and George escape, Ministry of Magic battle...), beside to new not playable sets (Ron Megafigure), remakes (Hagrid's Hut, Hogwarts Express, Quidditch Pitch...) and some HPB or DH sets (Hog's Head, DH Tent, Gringotts escape...).

My 2 cents, of course :snicker:

Edited by BrickMatit
Not being an english mother tongue, it's not so rare that I need to correct my comments :)

We probably won't know until next year if this style will continue.

The only notable thing is that the anniversary packaging was really used for this style. So 20 years of HP logo and a gold spell instead of blue.

You could possibly conclude from this that Fawkes is the successor to Hedwig and maybe this will be continue by a Pixie or niffler next year? Additionally that there are also plans for a successor to the buildable minifigures (Ron ?). This is because both do not have anniversary packaging.  It seems like Lego really wants to separate those two sets from the rest by packaging, no golden fig and no random wizard cards.