Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, Xcube said:

Now with better pictures, I started to play around with stud.io. The First lesson fits really well into the "old" modular Hogwarts. It's probably not the final position where I will put this set.

How do you add existing Lego HP sets to stud.io. to do this?

16 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Though the battle is a very important part of the story, in some ways it least warrants representation in Hogwarts sets because none of the Hogwarts stuff is particular to it. Give me a Ministry set, a camping set, Xenophilius' house, Gringotts escape maybe a wedding set and we'd be good.

Couldn’t agree more :sweet: Despite how important the Battle of Hogwarts is, I mostly want sets based on other scenes. The problem I have with the idea of a DH2 Hogwarts expansion is the clash between the context of the scene and the interior of the set, which would probably be in the same style as all the other sets, and these two ideas just don’t mix all that well. Just look at the 2011 set: includes death eaters and an exploding bridge, but also classroom interiors. Pretty weird juxtaposition :laugh:

Then again, simply ignoring the climatic event of the entire series also isn’t an option. Maybe a good opportunity for the courtyard or something? :moar:

4 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

Yes, it cannot work properly as a stand alone set. And, in fact, cunningly :snicker:, they put two different arrangements on the front and the back of the box.

Glad I wasn't the only one. I always love the irony of a LEGO set that most literally fails the meaning of LEGO - to leg godt, play well.

4 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Then again, simply ignoring the climatic event of the entire series also isn’t an option. Maybe a good opportunity for the courtyard or something? :moar:

You're quite right that there's not much interior to sensibly do if they're doing Battle of Hogwarts, since it's pretty much all rubble and clutter! At the time in 2011 I was fine with it anyway because it was only the second Hogwarts set in the series. A full courtyard would be a bit tedious but something like part of the courtyard and part of the bridge scaled down could work as a big set, or alternatively split it across a partial courtyard with some buildable statues and a Forbidden Forest set redux.

14 minutes ago, Textorix said:

How do you add existing Lego HP sets to stud.io. to do this?

I build the set with the building instructions :). The new sets I try to build with just the pictures, because the instructions are not published yet.

Just now, Xcube said:

I build the set with the building instructions :). The new sets I try to build with just the pictures, because the instructions are not published yet.

Oh okay thanks man, so I will make them by instructions and create my own Hogwarts layout

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

Has anyone else noted the joke of the Forbidden Corridor set - you can't use all its components properly unless you own at least one other of the sets? Either you do it like the front of the box and the trap door is useless, or you do it like the back and you've got the top of a tower sitting on the floor.

Yes, and that's why I don't like this set. It doesn't work as standalone set. And even if you have Hogwarts you must place Lockhart's classroom so that it could work better. But that's still not right. So when they'll add new HP sets on mecabricks I'll try to modificate it

Merlin’s Beard! It’s page 311 and i’m so behind!

sorry if someone already asked question before and I repeat that question...

Is D2C set confirmed to be iconic object or Fawkes? 

1 minute ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Is D2C set confirmed to be iconic object or Fawkes? 

According to @Guyon2002 D2C set name is Hogwarts Icons Collection

1 minute ago, Legofania said:

According to @Guyon2002 D2C set name is Hogwarts Icons Collection

Thanks. Sometimes infos are mixed up, ya know. 

1 hour ago, BrickMatit said:

Yes, it cannot work properly as a stand alone set. And, in fact, cunningly :snicker:, they put two different arrangements on the front and the back of the box.

Yeah, that's the fundamental problem with the set for me. I could accept a funky Fluffy and a bland exterior if the set at least could work on its own merit, but no. You need at least one other set for it to work as it's supposed to, and the way they advertise different setups for the exterior and interior almost feels like false advertising.

In my opinion, they should've just made this set more like the 2001 version: For the 8x16 corridor, nix the shingled roof and instead have that be a flat area with a trapdoor, where you can put Fluffy (have battlements up top so it still looks alright). The trapdoor leads to the lower section, which has the Devil's Snare (which in this hypothetical set would be a neat play feature like the original, rather than 3 vines that the falling figure will just hit and bounce off of). The tower would have a staircase on the bottom level, and the upper two floors could just stay the same. All this wouldn't instantly fix the set, but at least it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

When the set releases, I'll go into stud.io to see how much of this can be accomplished using the parts included in the set, which will be the determining factor of when I buy it.

I do think we will se DH sets, as they chose not to include Gringotts in Diagon Alley; that tells me they have a set planned for later on (an what better scene to represent it that the Dragon Escape from DH Part 2).

Still, I am wondering... you can see the 2018 Great Hall set in the background of the Fluffy Encounter set, and 2020's Astronomy Tower in the Chamber of Secrets set... wouldn't that mean that they all together can, indeed, be combined?

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the 8x8 sections in the Fluffy set and Flying Lesson set use these grates for floors rather than normal 8x8 plates? I don't know why they did it like this, it looks pretty bad and greatly decreases the playable dollhouse aspect.Screenshot_20210417-084828_Instagram.jpg.7de38db942058e283612079fea8cfa2f.jpg

2 hours ago, Textorix said:

Guys I want to share with you my idea for connecting new Hogwarts sets with 2018-2020 line. Obviously it looks how it looks because I dont know how to use photoshop so I just did it in painting app but it works for basic layout plan here. I will move Chamber of Secrets under 2018 Great Hall and I will use smaller 2021 Great Hall as Long Gallery. Picture doesnt include huge rock foundation which I will have to build for almost every building. Oh and I will change big green parts for grey ones but otherwise I dont plan to make any other customizations.

BJoxats.png

This is great! The Fluffy set works really well next to the Gryffindor Tower, I love how that big looks accurate to the films. 

I definitely think I’ll split the Chamber of Secrets tower in two like you’ve done it I display that set from the outside. 

2 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the 8x8 sections in the Fluffy set and Flying Lesson set use these grates for floors rather than normal 8x8 plates? I don't know why they did it like this, it looks pretty bad and greatly decreases the playable dollhouse aspect.

The Flying Lesson set has 4, Fluffy has 3 and the Chamber of Secrets uses 6. I've really come around to the new system and don't hate it as much as I used to (besides the horrible green roofs) but the excessive use of these useless 8x8's and the many panels and frames really annoys me.

6 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

This is great! The Fluffy set works really well next to the Gryffindor Tower, I love how that big looks accurate to the films. 

I definitely think I’ll split the Chamber of Secrets tower in two like you’ve done it I display that set from the outside. 

Yeah thanks. I will try to make it as movie accurate as possible with minimum customization. I have to figure out where an how should I place Chamber of Secrets because it might not fit under 2018 Great Hall that well. 

6 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Yeah thanks. I will try to make it as movie accurate as possible with minimum customization. I have to figure out where an how should I place Chamber of Secrets because it might not fit under 2018 Great Hall that well. 

Myrtle's bathroom is pretty close to the Long Gallery is, so perhaps you don't need to move it at all. 

Are there any exclusive minifigure parts in the Fluffy set (other than the golden Hermione, obviously)?

It looks to me like Harry and Hermione have the same torso as Neville in the Flying Lesson and Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets; and Ron has the same torso as Harry in the Chamber of Secrets.  It's all a bit confusing, but from a minifigure point of view, it should be easy enough to skip the Fluffy set, right?

Thanks in advance.  I really hope someone can help me answer this question.  :blush:

2 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Are there any exclusive minifigure parts in the Fluffy set (other than the golden Hermione, obviously)?

It looks to me like Harry and Hermione have the same torso as Neville in the Flying Lesson and Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets; and Ron has the same torso as Harry in the Chamber of Secrets.  It's all a bit confusing, but from a minifigure point of view, it should be easy enough to skip the Fluffy set, right?

Thanks in advance.  I really hope someone can help me answer this question.  :blush:

Nope, there aren't any. Their heads are all incredibly common and both torso variants appear in other sets as well.

18 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

though he didn't mention the Flying Lesson one. 

Well, it turns out he just forgot about it. Check out his latest story

Marcos Bessa just provided us with the designer info for the Flying Lesson set: 

Hogwarts: Flying Lesson
Design: Marcos Bessa
Graphic Design: Peter Kjærgaard and Djørdjæ Djørdjævic

Which makes this the complete list:

Spoiler

Hogwarts: Polyjuice Potion Mistake

Hogwarts: Flying Lesson

Hogwarts: Fluffy Encounter
Design: Yi-Chien Cheng with Fluffy's head sculpts by Ruth Kelly
Graphic Design: Peter Kjærgaard and Djørdjæ Djørdjævic

Hogwarts: Chamber of Secrets
Design: Nicolaas Vas (as we predicted going off the many frogs) and Cornish Pixies by Miriam Toril

Hogsmeade Village Visit
Design: Yi-Chien Cheng

Hogwarts Wizard's Chess

Harry Potter & Hermione Granger
Design: collaboration between Marcos Bessa, Woon Tze Chee and Nicolaas Vas. Vas created the final product
Graphic Design: Djørdjæ Djørdjævic

Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix
Design: Wes Talbott
Graphic Design: -

Edited by Guyon2002

6 hours ago, Xcube said:

Now with better pictures, I started to play around with stud.io. The First lesson fits really well into the "old" modular Hogwarts. It's probably not the final position where I will put this set.

HarryPotterModularHogwarts.jpg

This looks good and was how I was thinking to connect it too. Im still not sure how I'll connect the bathroom set or if I'll even get it at this point.

42 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The Flying Lesson set has 4, Fluffy has 3 and the Chamber of Secrets uses 6. I've really come around to the new system and don't hate it as much as I used to (besides the horrible green roofs) but the excessive use of these useless 8x8's and the many panels and frames really annoys me.

I hadn't noticed the ones in the Chamber of Secrets. I honestly don't mind the ones in the bottom Chamber itself (I think they help to give off the sewer vibe), but I really dislike them everywhere else.

What really grinds my gears, though, is that Lockhart's office is actually on a normal 8x8 plate, even though it goes right next to another grated area. I know it's just because they needed all of the studs available to attach Lockhart's desk and chair, but it just throws into sharper relief that if they'd used normal plates, we could've had a much nicer Devil's Snare, rather than just a little square of vines that won't catch anyone.

As for the panels, I honestly don't mind most of them, since I think they're mostly well integrated. In particular, I love their usage in the Flying Lesson, since the windows fit perfectly between the banners. The exception is the Fluffy set, which the more I look at it just continues to cement itself as my least favorite Harry Potter set of all time- unfortunate, since the original is one of my favorite sets of the 2001-2007 HP run.

35 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Nope. LEGO really expects this set to sell solely on the inclusion of Fluffy and nothing else... which could've been a good strategy, if not for the poor chunky body ruining it for display and the asinine head prints making it unusable for play.

ok, just pre-ordered the Hogsmead and the bathroom sets. The latter is just for the crab and goyl minifigs really, and I’ll re-use the pieces for something else...

54 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Nope, there aren't any. Their heads are all incredibly common and both torso variants appear in other sets as well.

24 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Nope. LEGO really expects this set to sell solely on the inclusion of Fluffy and nothing else... which could've been a good strategy, if not for the poor chunky body ruining it for display and the asinine head prints making it unusable for play.

Yeah, it's hard to justify that set, even on sale, when Fluffy is going straight in the parts bin.  Even when it's present as an essential part of the modular Hogwarts display, the Forbidden Corridor build easily stands out as the weakest link.  I mean, I'll probably still buy it, but only after the rest of the wave (minus the enormous minifigs, which I have no space or use for).

Just now, RogueTwo said:

Yeah, it's hard to justify that set, even on sale, when Fluffy is going straight in the parts bin.  Even when it's present as an essential part of the modular Hogwarts display, the Forbidden Corridor build easily stands out as the weakest link.  I mean, I'll probably still buy it, but only after the rest of the wave (minus the enormous minifigs, which I have no space or use for).

Agreed. I've been a completionist for this line so far (except Diagon Alley, but I have until 2024 to scrounge up the money), and Fluffy is the first set that not only do I have no interest in, but I actively don't want to buy it. Everything else in this wave is either a day-one buy or a as-soon-as-I-can-afford-it buy, but the only way I'll get Fluffy is if I see it on good clearance or if I need to reach the threshold for a neat promo.