Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Here's a little quick edit I made of the sets all together. This is a layout that is more reminiscent of what the castle looks like in the movies. I wanted the staircase tower to be taller so I used the module found in the fuffy set. Then I put the bathroom under the fluffy corridor, which is next to the flying set. The flying set is combined with the second module from the fluffy set, then placing the other flying module on top with the spire from the fluffy set on top of that. 

4F3C3795-D7C1-437B-9361-0B325F8C60C7

The main thing I dislike about this set up is just that theres no more rocks under the bathroom, so you'd need to buy some more sets or add your own bricks to make the transition more seamless. I also would like two towers on the right side, so my suggestion would be to buy two of the Fluffy set - this way you get a second spire, a second rock face that you can combine with the original one to put under the bathroom, and then you can replace the current rock module in the photo above with leftover modules from the Fluffy set. 

Edited by MasterofElements

13 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I doubt it will last another 2 years given this year's line-up.

I disagree.  I'm sure it will thrive.  This is one area where LEGO can learn from their mistakes.  Having said that, my feelings have somewhat soured after the initial joy of new pictures.  Here is my ranking now:

1. Hogsmeade (not perfect, but as good as I could hope for at the price point)
2. Hogwarts Polyjuice Potion Mistake (better than the subject matter has any right to be)
3. Hogwarts First Flying Lesson (surprisingly sophisticated and aesthetically pleasing for...a wall)
4. Hogwarts Chamber of Secrets (chock-full of detail, minifigures, and accessories, but the build is a step back.  Comparatively <insert that tiresome argument>--let's see if Eurobricks still censors that word) Edit: Yep, they did :grin:
5. Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix (the design is lifted mostly from Hedwig, but I can't really complain with what's there)
6. Hogwarts Wizard's Chess (this set is not structurally sound, and it appears incredibly boring to build)
7. Hogwarts Fluffy Encounter (the Forbidden Corridor from 2001 was a better set)
8. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger (technically well-designed, but I suspect these will be in every Target clearance aisle by Christmas; next to the freakin' Chamber of Secrets, and at a mere $10 price difference, who would choose this?)

Edited by RogueTwo

So, the whole June and August waves is just completely out the window now I guess? Turns out everything is June wave! :laugh:

1 minute ago, chris6507 said:

So, the whole June and August waves is just completely out the window now I guess? Turns out everything is June wave! :laugh:

Maybe they'll surprise us with an August DH wave.

1 minute ago, chris6507 said:

In the US, the Flying Lesson is the only August set, for reasons best known to someone other than I :grin:

Wow, there's a lot to go through here.  My first impressions are that this release has some fun designs with nice play features. 

Are these modules compatible with the 2018-2020 sets?  The color scheme seems to match the Astronomy Tower.  

I can't wait to see what kind of modifications and MOCs people come up with!

3 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

The more I look at Fluffy and the chess set the more I hate them.

Does anyone know what this piece is?

76389-1.jpg.005b833092cb72169224d4af31d8e977.jpg

Does anyone know if this piece is available in brown or black?

wd.jpg.2e614587b3de97a0514f8f6ac43cf39f.jpg

The first picture appears to be a technic ball on top of a fez piece. In the 2nd picture, no that piece is color-locked to light bluish grey unfortunately. It has never been and will likely never come in a different color. It's too bad they couldn't cover it up better but I'm used to it by now, it's been a problem in other themes for years. It's like blue pins and red axles. 

Personally I love the Fluffy set. Fluffy is fantastic and poseable. My only gripe is there could be more devil's snare and I wish it was dark green, not black. I don't get why so many people are so down on this set. 

Edited by ToaDraco

3 hours ago, MasterofElements said:

I really like this. The bathroom has no remedy other than to modify it or cover it up with some greenery or rocks.

Are we still expecting a D2C to come this year for Harry Potter, or any larger sets, similar to microscale Hogwarts, or Diagon Alley?

Edited by OneThousand

4 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

They refer to the Three Broomsticks as a pub. I'm shocked. 

But it is a pub, it's not that shocking is it? 

4 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

And I'm annoyed they didn't make Leaky Cauldron now. 

Yet. 

Lovely to hear all these behind the scenes bits of information, hopefully this line continues for years so we can fill up out Lockhart book collection :laugh:

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

My only gripe is there could be more devil's snare and I wish it was dark green, not black

I agree with this :thumbup: I think the set is a little bare, would be better with more devil's snare, and ad a owl or two on the roof and some chocolate frogs for better details

1 hour ago, OneThousand said:

Are we still expecting a D2C to come this year for Harry Potter, or any larger sets, similar to microscale Hogwarts, or Diagon Alley?

Yes, but they are normally revealed alone later and not with the main wave :classic:

7 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Well, that's somehow a 1 million $ question :snicker: 

I find this year sets very different from past years ones. But who knows what Lego will do the next year ... continue with new style sets; return to the old style; go for only DH part I sets, with no Hogwarts sets...

Anyway, I think that with more or less big modifying work one can put new and old style Hogwarts part together. It really depends on how you want to create your Hogwarts, how much faithfull to movies, if you want to see the interior or exterior part...

I'm somehow lucky... because I have no space for exposing all my sets :iamded_lol: So I will keep two different Hogwarts, each one on a different shelf. Maybe I will slightly modified the new one: I don't really like having Lockhart's classroom below Fluffy Corridor.

What’s confusing to me I guess is the fact they switched it up on us and went back to the aqua green roofs, everything was going great with the blueish grey roofs but noooo they changed back to the green ones from almost 20 years ago haha, I was like omg how!!! For sure they gave us elevated bases but they could had been consistent at least, oh well what can we do.  

5 hours ago, MasterofElements said:

Here's a little quick edit I made of the sets all together. This is a layout that is more reminiscent of what the castle looks like in the movies. I wanted the staircase tower to be taller so I used the module found in the fuffy set. Then I put the bathroom under the fluffy corridor, which is next to the flying set. The flying set is combined with the second module from the fluffy set, then placing the other flying module on top with the spire from the fluffy set on top of that. 

Thanks for this edit! I really like how the Fluffy corridor bit could look like next to Lockhart's classroom. The Quidditch door also look quite good on the ground floor next to the rock too, that set is actually quite useful to make another tower. 

14 minutes ago, eldiano said:

What’s confusing to me I guess is the fact they switched it up on us and went back to the aqua green roofs, everything was going great with the blueish grey roofs but noooo they changed back to the green ones from almost 20 years ago haha, I was like omg how!!! For sure they gave us elevated bases but they could had been consistent at least, oh well what can we do.  

I think apart from nostalgia another obvious answer is that the green roofs are there to contrast with the dark grey rocky foundations. I feel like if there was dark grey on the bottom and top it would not look as good - this was a problem the D2C Hogwarts avoided too by having their rock features dark tan to keep the foundations a different colour to the roofs as well. 

A friend of mine also asked Marcos a question, this one related to the supposed Potions challenge in the Fluffy set. Marcos responded saying that as far as he knows it's just a small room added for more story and play options, though it can be anything we decide it to be :wink:

6 hours ago, BrickFunatic said:

Does anyone know what this piece is?

76389-1.jpg.005b833092cb72169224d4af31d8e977.jpg

I think it might be a glass ball for Divination. It would sorta clash with the one in the Great Hall that uses a Mysterio helmet but I have no clue what else it could be :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Behold:

76386_alt7.jpg

:wink:

BAH, I really don't like the choice for these hairpieces :-( (not so accurate IMO)

Now with better pictures, I started to play around with stud.io. The First lesson fits really well into the "old" modular Hogwarts. It's probably not the final position where I will put this set.

HarryPotterModularHogwarts.jpg

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Thanks for this edit! I really like how the Fluffy corridor bit could look like next to Lockhart's classroom. The Quidditch door also look quite good on the ground floor next to the rock too, that set is actually quite useful to make another tower. 

I think apart from nostalgia another obvious answer is that the green roofs are there to contrast with the dark grey rocky foundations. I feel like if there was dark grey on the bottom and top it would not look as good - this was a problem the D2C Hogwarts avoided too by having their rock features dark tan to keep the foundations a different colour to the roofs as well. 

That’s what mind blowing to me, they have the D2c set, the old ones and the recent 2018, I’m just over here like haha why but oh well.  I’m still getting them, as a matter of fact I’ll try to order the parts from bricks and pieces since they are taking close to 2 months to deliver them, which should be right around the same time these come out haha 

46 minutes ago, Xcube said:

Now with better pictures, I started to play around with stud.io. The First lesson fits really well into the "old" modular Hogwarts. It's probably not the final position where I will put this set.

That looks great. I guess as it's meant to represent part of the Training Grounds it should be as far from the Great Hall as possible, so that position looks good. I know the Whomping Willow is also that part of the castle, but it works as buildings near the Great Hall too. 

To be honest I think all the new sets will fit in fine if the roof colours are changed, but the CoS rock section won't work with the different heights. 

Edited by Seaber

18 minutes ago, Magnum said:

We need a Narcissa Malfoy minifigure 

R.I.P. 

Such sad news. Maybe next year we will return to DH and then bound to get a Narcissa there. 

I personally really wouldn't mind if this is the Hogwarts they'll be expanding on for the coming years but I do really hope they switch back to the 2018-2020 colorscheme (dark tan for the rocks and DBG for the roofs). There's not a whole lot of iconic architecture left so most of the unmade Hogwarts-related content is focused on the interior of the castle, which would work much better with the new system than the old one considering the 2018-2020 interiors weren't all that good or spacious. 

Edited by Guyon2002

Guys I want to share with you my idea for connecting new Hogwarts sets with 2018-2020 line. Obviously it looks how it looks because I dont know how to use photoshop so I just did it in painting app but it works for basic layout plan here. I will move Chamber of Secrets under 2018 Great Hall and I will use smaller 2021 Great Hall as Long Gallery. Picture doesnt include huge rock foundation which I will have to build for almost every building. Oh and I will change big green parts for grey ones but otherwise I dont plan to make any other customizations.

BJoxats.png

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

There's not a whole lot of iconic architecture left so most of the unmade Hogwarts-related content is focused on the interior of the castle, which would work much better with the new system than the old one considering the 2018-2020 interiors weren't all that good or spacious.

Nice thing, I'm thinking to iconical locations we miss too.

In the outside we miss:

- Long Gallery and Tower Bells;
- Owlery;
- Main Courtyard;
- Boat House;
- Forbidden Forest (we miss PS Detention scene and DH

Spoiler

Harry's Death

scene);
- Lake (we miss Durmstrang Ship and Second Task);
- Third Task maze;

Talking about the outside focused old style/system, I would consider only castle architecture, so the first four points.
And the only part that I can see as a good adding to 18-20 model is the Long Gallery and Tower Bells one.

But Great Hall will be retired this year, won't it?
And what main, iconical scene could Lego put in a Long Gallery and Tower Bells set?

No, I don't think we will see again the old style. This anniversary could be a breaking point in the theme and work as a new starting point. I don't see so impossible, next year, one set taken from PS with Winged Keys Room+Hogwarts Chess+Final Challenge with Quirrell to go with this year Fluffy set.

4 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Guys I want to share with you my idea for connecting new Hogwarts sets with 2018-2020 line. Obviously it looks how it looks because I dont know how to use photoshop so I just did it in painting app but it works for basic layout plan here. I will move Chamber of Secrets under 2018 Great Hall and I will use smaller 2021 Great Hall as Long Gallery. Picture doesnt include huge rock foundation which I will have to build for almost every building. Oh and I will change big green parts for grey ones but otherwise I dont plan to make any other customizations.

Well, you'll have to do a lot of rock foundations work :snicker: but I think it will look really nice.

In my case, not having so much space to expose all Hogwarts on a single row, I will simply keep two separate Hogwarts on two different shelves. :laugh:

With this curve ball of a year, I think it's hard for us normal folk to truly predict how next year will go. Personally, Hogwarts style aside I still want a proper send-off of the "two movies per year" theme. Though the battle is a very important part of the story, in some ways it least warrants representation in Hogwarts sets because none of the Hogwarts stuff is particular to it. Give me a Ministry set, a camping set, Xenophilius' house, Gringotts escape maybe a wedding set and we'd be good.

The design team surely knows that all of the older fans will want to see DH covered properly, but at the same time they're bound by making sets that they think kids will like and I can see why everything I mentioned from dark and dreary Deathly Hallows might be a more nervous marketing proposition.

As it is, they have done amazingly in this wave to NOT cover anything they already did since 2018 besides the Great Hall. Like I've said before, if this was the wave we got in 2018 I'd be over the moon and doing several backflips, but as it is I still feel afraid we'll never get Deathly Hallows stuff properly and can't stomach buying into a different Hogwarts style, especially one I find to be lesser than the previous one.

Has anyone else noted the joke of the Forbidden Corridor set - you can't use all its components properly unless you own at least one other of the sets? Either you do it like the front of the box and the trap door is useless, or you do it like the back and you've got the top of a tower sitting on the floor.

The Great Hall/CoS does have a lot of amazing stuff included, though not too much that I personally feel I "need". The Pixies and owl will be good BL pickups, though I dread the Pixie prices. The Basilisk is nice too but that'll be sold for $20 or more easy. Sinestra is so minor that I can live without her. That Lockhart face and hair still haven't grown on me since DA and don't remind me of him in the slightest. Once again, despite its age the original hair was much better - the other example being Umbridge. The new Umbridge figure with her original hairpiece looks ace. Therefore a custom fleshie Lockhart with Newt Scamander face will continue to do.

9 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Has anyone else noted the joke of the Forbidden Corridor set - you can't use all its components properly unless you own at least one other of the sets? Either you do it like the front of the box and the trap door is useless, or you do it like the back and you've got the top of a tower sitting on the floor.

Yes, it cannot work properly as a stand alone set. And, in fact, cunningly :snicker:, they put two different arrangements on the front and the back of the box.