Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Am I the only one that actually likes the chess set lol? At $60 I wasn't expecting a bigger size than 4x4 tiles, and the pieces themselves are somewhat close to their film counterparts. I used to own a HP chess set that I played with as a kid and I can instantly recognize all of the pieces. Of course the scale isn't accurate with the minifigs, but with the piece count and price I think they did a really solid job. The pawns especially look very cute!

EDIT: I also can't criticize the pieces for being easy to knock over without actually having them in front of me. But from looking at the pictures, I feel as though they should be stable enough on the tiles.

Edited by YetiZombie

1 minute ago, YetiZombie said:

Am I the only one that actually likes the chess set lol?

No, you're not. They're really great, figures aren't very accurate but it's okay

2 minutes ago, Legofania said:

No, you're not. They're really great, figures aren't very accurate but it's okay

I'd say they're accurate enough. The colors are more vibrant than their actual outfits, but hey that's LEGO for ya.

3 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Am I the only one that actually likes the chess set lol? At $60 I wasn't expecting a bigger size than 4x4 tiles, and the pieces themselves are somewhat close to their film counterparts. I used to own a HP chess set that I used to play with as a kid and I can instantly recognize all of the pieces. Of course the scale isn't accurate with the minifigs.

No you're not. I like the chess set. 

I don't get the criticism of the scale, the scale of the castle doesn't match the minifigs either, neither does all the inner rooms.

1 minute ago, YetiZombie said:

I'd say they're accurate enough. The colors are more vibrant than their actual outfits, but hey that's LEGO for ya.

I meant chess figures, not trio :laugh: Trio is great and I absolutely like them and it's nice that they're exclusive

@Guyon2002 you are a fantastic poster and leaker! But I have to disagree with you on so many things!!

Polyjuice Potion Mistake 
-This is probably my second favorite set. What a fantastic sink. Who needs more detail on a bathroom stall?? MOC that yourself!

-The Hermione cat head is utterly phenomenal. Tho I do agree that the Crabbe/Goyle hair could be better

-Will be buying two of these sets for an extra Crabbe/Goyle and the super sweet Harry/Ron face prints

First Flying Lesson
-$30?!? How. I could see Polyjuice being $30 before this set

-Happy we're finally getting a young Neville and a Remembrall.

Fluffy Encounter
-The one hybrid head is so funny lol. But I can understand why they did it. I don't mind one head sleeping and one head not, but at least commit to something with the third one!

-Potions room is definitely meant to represent Snape's challenge and I love that so much. 

Fawkes
-I am so mad there is a unique Dumbledore. I do not want this set. I have Hedwig, but she looks much better than this IMO. I'll probably get it discounted later just for Dumbledore.

Wizard's Chess
-This is the best set!!! The pieces are definitely recognizable for me, and the size is perfect. Also the board is definitely square? People were saying it wasn't.

-Anyone who plays chess frequently would hate studs on these. I play chess practically everyday with my partner, and if you couldn't glide the pieces across the board, or if the bottom of the chess pieces got stuck to the stud... that would not be as fun.

-That being said, these pieces better not topple over at a slight breeze. As long as they're as sturdy as regular chess pieces then I am very happy (and they look like they are).

-Minifigures are spectacular. The scratch in Harry's torso is the cherry on top. And [edit] RON CAN GO ON THE HORSE!!

Hogsmeade Village Visit
-I don't love this as much as everyone else?? Weird they didn't find a way to put three broomsticks... that sign is bizarre. But I can MOC that ofc

-The minifigures are incredible and makes this set very very worth its price

Harry Potter & Hermione Granger
.....Wtf is this.

-I would maybe understand a separate $60 Harry set with a $120 Ron/Hermione set... First set in all of Harry Potter LEGO I will ever skip!

Chamber of Secrets
-My ONLY gripe with this set is Slytherin's head. They could have used brick built pieces and made that so much better. I love cartoony LEGO, but this was not the moment for that

-Lockhart's classroom is impeccable. I wish they included the skeleton but that's a minor nit pick. This set is amazing, though steeply priced.

All of these new era sets so far have been exterior displayed, so I am ECSTATIC about this wave. Most of these are going to be interior-displayed only, which is going to complement everything so well. LEGO and the designers seriously killed it with this wave. But if we don't get Deathly Hallows sets next year... we riot!

Edited by evanevanevan

8 minutes ago, Legofania said:

I meant chess figures, not trio :laugh: Trio is great and I absolutely like them and it's nice that they're exclusive

Ahh yes you're right :), the capture the essence of the actual chess pieces though which is all I wanted

9 minutes ago, mark1991t said:

No you're not. I like the chess set. 

I don't get the criticism of the scale, the scale of the castle doesn't match the minifigs either, neither does all the inner rooms.

Lol exactly! This is way closer to scale than almost any set we've ever gotten!

28 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Am I the only one that actually likes the chess set lol? At $60 I wasn't expecting a bigger size than 4x4 tiles, and the pieces themselves are somewhat close to their film counterparts. I used to own a HP chess set that I played with as a kid and I can instantly recognize all of the pieces. Of course the scale isn't accurate with the minifigs, but with the piece count and price I think they did a really solid job. The pawns especially look very cute!

EDIT: I also can't criticize the pieces for being easy to knock over without actually having them in front of me. But from looking at the pictures, I feel as though they should be stable enough on the tiles.

I don't dislike the chess set. Of the new sets that I'm unlikely to buy because it doesn't fit with what I usually collect and I'm running out of space, it's the set that I'm most likely to break down and get anyway.

But that being said, it doesn't fit with what I usually collect and I'm running out of space so it's not on my must buy list. ;)

58 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I would definitely go with the First Flying Lesson. The build is more far more interesting and all 3 characters are different, whereas those in the Fluffy set are the same. And then there's also Fluffy ofc, who's heads look absolutely awful.

Yeah the Flying Lesson set is much better on it's own, the only thing that makes me question the choice is how well those 2 sets connect toeach other.

Fluffy build is terrible tho, I absolutely hate it.

Phew! What an eventful 24 hours. Having seen the official pics of all these sets, are people more/less/same concerned about the D2C? I'm DYING to know what it is right now.

But I see all of you guys recommend Flying Lesson without a shadow of doubt, so I'll probably go with that one.

Wonder how it works in Europe? Is it a Lego exclusive set or is it a general release?

I am SUPER excited about the chess set and will be preordering it. Yes, the pieces might fall over easier than if on a stud, but then again, it's just like an ACTUAL chess set. I think it has high value for what all is included in the set. And I'm even more excited about Hogsmeade than I was when hearing about the set and seeing preliminary. It will go well with my existing Shrieking Shack, and then can join my Winter Village landscape around the holidays. I love the CoS Hogwarts, but I am...OK, not getting it. I'll consider my current minifigure Hogwarts complete with the Astronomy Tower, and with that and the microscale Hogwarts, that particular itch has been well scratched....for now.

You know guys I've just been analysing how you can connect Flying Lesson set to other Hogwarts sets.

Let's take Polyjuice Potion set for example - it's on an 8 x 16 plate, no roof. Now the Flying Lesson has two 8 x 8 sections, both with roofs. And of course the door section, which doesn't fit anywhere.

So you can take the PP set, add both FL sections on top of it, with roofs. And voila, it's connected. Then you just slap the door section anywhere, kind of like you do with the entrance to CoS.

So yeah, this set actually does connect to other expansions, which is really cool.

Do the collectible tiles with all kind of unique prints you need to scratch of or something?

14 minutes ago, Borex said:

Do the collectible tiles with all kind of unique prints you need to scratch of or something?

I don't think so, that could easily damage the print on the piece. 

It's just the fact that on official images they have to cover it so people realise they are actually random.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I don't think so, that could easily damage the print on the piece. 

It's just the fact that on official images they have to cover it so people realise they are actually random.

But have we already seen some of them? It’s a funny gimmick

10 minutes ago, Iron Brute said:

Pre-orders are now live on Shop@Home (Polyjuice, Fluffy, Hogsmeade, COS)

On the US site? Only Fawkes, the figures and Chess set are showing for me.

3 minutes ago, strangely said:

On the US site? Only Fawkes, the figures and Chess set are showing for me.

On the UK site they were all Coming Soon but now half have disappeared lol

edit: nvm it’s because they’re up for preorder

Edited by sammy_zammy

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Sad news for us Potter fans: Helen McCrory (Narcissa Malfoy) passed away today.

Rest in peace. :cry_sad:

Gone but not forgotten.

2 hours ago, Xcube said:

The prices for switzerland for COS is even more crazy with 179 Fr. When I convert that price to Euro, it's 160^^.

That may sound silly, but that price feels very nostalgic to me :laugh: CHF 179 was usually the price point for the flagship sets in the late 90s and early 2000s, which I vividly remember because those were always well outside my budget :snicker: Funnily enough, that includes the very first Hogwarts castle