Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Wel let me first say that I’m very pleasantly surprised by these sets. I will definitely be buying the hogsmead set, which more than lives up to expectations. 

The hogwart sets are very nice and the detailing is fantastic, but as I already have the previous iteration and mainly have them as display sets, I’ll likely be giving these a miss. I’ll need to see about acquiring some of the minifigures though, as these are definitely the highlight of the wave for me!

For the cards, I’ll reserve judgment to see what the distribution will be like (wondering if they are really limited to 16 characters or just 16 available if you buy one of each set...)

Omg so many face reuses in this wave, Mantis face for Rosmerta, Molly face for Mrs. Flume and that COS set has two minifigures with the same face...wtf Lego.

Waiting for HD look at smaller sets, but from what I can see they're awesome. Smallest set rocks, I love how you can remove the upper piece so it looks more spacey. I hope Crabbe and Goyle are there tho. Fluffy set actually has a really big interior, and there's even a trapdoor! Lovely.

Hosgmeade looks quite perfect. Amazing minifigures, the builds are so great. So many sweets in Honeydukes and little details, I love it.

Chamber of Secrets looks SO MUCH better than on preliminary photos, probably thanks to the interior. The exterior has really grown on me, I really like it now. But that interior, wow. So many rooms and so many amazing details. Basilisk is lovely. But those minfigures... OH MY GOD! Every house gets a torso, so many prints, and that glow in dark Nick... oh boy yeah.

4 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Omg so many face reuses in this wave, Mantis face for Rosmerta, Molly face for Mrs. Flume and that COS set has two minifigures with the same face...wtf Lego.

There are also a lot of new face prints, it's not like they can give evry single character a new face, and it's not like every character needs one.

I agree with the double face print in CoS tho

2 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I agree with the double face print in CoS tho

At least it‘s a double-sided head :laugh: Creating a new little-girl face print would have been a bit unnecessy, but why not reuse Fleur‘s sister‘s faceprint for Luna? Sure, the sleepy expression wouldn‘t have made sense, but neither did it in the set she came in :tongue:

Well, I'm glad other people are loving these now, but I'm still feeling pretty mixed on the Great Hall and CoS set. Yeah the classroom and Lockhart's office have nice attention to detail, but the exterior still looks like a mess and I still prefer the previous Hogwarts style of trying to actually replicate the buildings we see on screen.

The Great Hall interior is a massive downgrade as well - I know it's based on the Dueling Club scene but I was blown away with the last one having the four tables plus seats for the teachers just like they should be.

People are talking about the amazing CoS interior - what interior? All I see is the Slytherin head statue, which is a lot of fun for sure, but otherwise there's either no space or empty space next to the slide.

The set definitely gives off the vibe of being crafted with love, but the style they've gone for isn't for me after the 2018-20 Hogwarts sets. I was really hoping for just one more set in that style with some Deathly Hallows battle stuff, but I guess I'm content with my Hogwarts display as is now.

The new minifgures are excellent, and super props to LEGO for once again delivering all of the house robes in one wave, and new ones to boot (presuming Slytherin ones are in the bathroom set, which it looks like).

Hogsmeade is awesome though, and I'll pick up the bathroom set as well for everything it offers at its low price.

Are those new archway pieces used in the CoS set? (where the Snake heads stand, the exit of the slide and the sides of the castle itself)

With the COS there are two part for me. Great Hall which has poor interior and tower section which has great interior with Lockharts cabinet and classroom. But yeah 2018 was superior in every way maybe except minifigures but those were also decent in that time.

I suppose you could display your 2018/2020 Hogwarts looking at the exterior and display the new one looking at the interior. They are definitely getting more detail into some of the interiors and I'm pretty surprised how good they are. I think some of the new stickers are great and the amount of school robes should please everyone. Hogsmeade still looks great. I'll integrate these into my 2010 Hogwarts design sets. 

10 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

At least it‘s a double-sided head :laugh: Creating a new little-girl face print would have been a bit unnecessy, but why not reuse Fleur‘s sister‘s faceprint for Luna? Sure, the sleepy expression wouldn‘t have made sense, but neither did it in the set she came in :tongue:

The sleepy expression would've actually made a ton of sense if they used it on Ginny.

10 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Hogsmeade is awesome though, and I'll pick up the bathroom set as well for everything it offers at its low price. 

This sums me up pretty well. Can't really afford to start a new Hogwarts display that I don't like as much as the current one.

I’ve looked at the new great hall/cos set and to transform it into grey roofs and curved towers you can use most parts from The astronomy tower set. So unless the new great hall/cos set is on a huge discount later on, I might buy one and transform it with an extra copy of the astronomy tower set. Still not sure cause the new sets still look ugly to me ( besides  Hogsmeade). I also don’t understand the teeth on the sides of the basilisk. But I have to say LEGO did fluff the set up nicely. 

1 minute ago, Magnum said:

I also don’t understand the teeth on the sides of the basilisk. But I have to say LEGO did fluff the set up nicely. 

They are supoosed to be scales

43 minutes ago, Textorix said:

These sets were never supposed to connect with 2018-2020 ones but you can still try it but it might look ugly.

Oh... Thanks to clarify that! :D I’m just afraid that they’re going to throw everything away and start over LOL

(but I’m gonna get it anyway, seem like I need to moc my own underground part to connect with existing one.)

Also, can we just acknowledge the absolute horrible photoshop of Ron on the packaging. It seems to me they tried to put Philosopher's Stone Ron's face on Order of the Phoenix Ron's body.... I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

Edited by Mordarch
spelling

2 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I’ve looked at the new great hall/cos set and to transform it into grey roofs and curved towers you can use most parts from The astronomy tower set. So unless the new great hall/cos set is on a huge discount later on, I might buy one and transform it with an extra copy of the astronomy tower set. Still not sure cause the new sets still look ugly to me ( besides  Hogsmeade). I also don’t understand the teeth on the sides of the basilisk. But I have to say LEGO did fluff the set up nicely. 

Im doing the opposite, I'm stealing all the green roof pieces to change the astronomy tower roofs to green to fit in my old  castle display

2 minutes ago, Mordarch said:

Also, can we just acknowledge the absolute horrible photoshop of Ron on the packaging. It seems to me they tried to put Philosopher's Stone Ron's face on Order of the Phoenix Ron's body.... I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out but my god that looks bad :sick:

11 minutes ago, Mordarch said:

His eyes are weird. But Hermione has an uncanny valley look as well

Edited by Metanoios91

I already have a plan how to connect these to my 2018-2020 layout with minimum customization. I basicaly just swap big green parts for dark grey and let everything (bathroom, corridor, tower section from COS) connected as it is supposed to be. The only thing which will go to parts is new Great Hall building. I will place the Chamber of Secrets under Astronomy Tower as I already have my custom rock foundation for 2018 Great Hall. I cant wait to do it. I could also see Chamber of Secrets fit under Clock Tower but I have to see how wide (in studs) it is first.

Edited by Textorix

14 minutes ago, Mordarch said:

Ends up looking like Dobby in a wig

I never really understood the damning response and criticism for the prelims - sure the exterior looks different to the 2018- wave, but it has its own charm and succeeds in resembling older interpretations, which is what it set out to do - it is an anniversary set after all. And there was never any doubt in my mind that the interiors and minifigs would be well-received - nice to see a change on the forum after several weeks of negativity!

I really like CoS (glad to see the barn owl, cant really understand why they included Luna though, when it would make soo much more sense for it to be Penelope Clearwater) and Hogsmeade looks great as well (definitely prefer the Three Broomsticks over Honeydukes). Bit disappointed that the trio have uniforms in the Fluffy set, but happy to see confirmation of things like the trapdoor and Devil's snare in that set (am now really intrigued by that tower room!); the golden lectern, pixies, the duelling club set-up and lockhart's office/classroom in CoS; and the sink opening in the bathroom set.

I agree with @Guyon2002 that the changing styles for the Hogwarts ghosts are a bit frustrating, though it is a nice addition.

And although we have to wait till next year for sets like Gringotts or other DH sets, scenes like the CoS and the PS challenges were highly requested over the past few years so it's great that we're finally getting them - also looking forward to seeing the Flying Lesson set. The August wave being mostly non-minifig scale stuff doesn't bother me - its great to see that Lego is trying out new things, and I'm sure that the sets will be of great quality, and will appeal to many people, even if we're not the target audience. Because we are getting so many more sets in 2021 that previous years, I've found that thinking about the August wave as a bonus is a good way to stop the disappointment of the what-ifs and could-have-beens.

And given that all of the house robes are present in the CoS set, I guess that there is now another likely contender for the accessory pack...

Judging by the sheer number of frogs and their colours in almost every room (white, brown and pink), I guess the CoS set was designed by Nicolaas Vás who also made two of the Hogwarts Moments sets this year

Edited by Metanoios91

30 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

They are supoosed to be scales

I thought that too but it looks so weird to me. 

29 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Im doing the opposite, I'm stealing all the green roof pieces to change the astronomy tower roofs to green to fit in my old  castle display

I’ll give you the green ones and you can give me the grey ones! Sorted! :laugh:

I still think the reason the Astronomy Tower started to introduce some sand green into the roof is that Lego intends these new section to just connect to the current ones. These new sets may be modular in terms of stackability, but they still have the pin connections on the side. I think the Great Hall retiring this year has just been replaced with this version of the Hall and as much as I would have loved a more detailed Chamber of Secrets that attached to the current Great Hall, I'm okay with this transition if they fully fledge out the castle more next year with sections we haven't had like the Bell Towers or Bridge.

Edited by BacktoBricks