Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I have nothing to back this up, but I’m wondering if the winged keys will be included in the Fluffy set. We haven’t seen the interior yet. I picture the trapdoor at the top floor of the tower section, with devils snare underneath it on the ground floor. And then adjacent to the devils snare in the main section could easily have space for the winged key room. Otherwise, what else would occupy that space? I don’t imagine the chess set containing any other challenges. I feel like the price is already too good for a chess set as it is, I don’t see things being added

I do hope the Forbidden Corridor set also includes the devil's snare and winged keys just like the original set. The original is my favorite HP set and it would be awesome to get essentially a 1x1 remake using modern parts and building styles. I'm sure it will include the devil's snare at the very least. I just question if the tower section will be where the trapdoor is because there certainly isn't enough room for Fluffy to stand unless theres a platform for him to stand on essentially on top of the structure like the original set.

I do hope that the chessboard incorporates into the rest of the sets so it's a part of the challenge rooms. If not, that's unfortunate but would make it an easy pass.

Edited by ToaDraco

My idea for the chess set is as follows:

TL,DR: The chessboard will be 32x32, and include an 8x8 Final Challenge castle section as a sidebuild, which can be connected to the Forbidden Corridor to form a wall with all the challenges behind which the chessboard can be attached. (All speculation)

I think it's extremely likely that it will be 32x32 (a full board with 4x4 squares), and not inherently have any walls (more on that momentarily). After all, anything less than 4x4 would be too small for minifig scale, and 6x6 is way too huge for a 900-piece set. I could see them introducing a 4x4 jumper for the spaces, which would both be a useful piece and significantly cut down on the amount of pieces needed for the board, allowing more to go into the playing pieces. For the pieces, the Knights will likely be horses with (unprinted) minifig statue riders and the rooks will be statue minifigs atop buildable towers, while the kings, queens, bishops, and pawns would be brickbuilt figures, albeit potentially with some minifig elements, such as helmets.

The set would also include a sidebuild of a small 8x8 castle section, based on the Final Challenge room, which could attach at the far end of the chessboard. Due to the small size, this entire build would be sub-100 pieces.

My idea for how this hypothetical set could incorporate into the Hogwarts system: Well, the chessboard would be 32x32, as mentioned prior. The prelims show that the Forbidden Corridor is 24x24, and the aforementioned Final Challenge sidebuild would be 8x8- a total width of 32 studs. My idea is that, if you had both sets, you could connect the walled modules together to make a 32 stud wide wall, and then the board would be able to pin in behind the wall. Presuming that the Devil's Snare is at the bottom of the tower section of the Forbidden Corridor and the Winged Keys are in the wide section, this would allow one to have every challenge connected together, albeit with inconsistent scaling between areas. It would also be a really neat display to have from the interior, of course.

If they don't make a complete chess board they are going to drastically limit the sales of this set.  I don't know that I would buy it if it wasn't a playable chess board.  It makes more sense for it to actually be a playable chess set because it will draw both HP collectors & people who want a HP themed chess set.  If only a partial board many will pass.

Because I moc stuff i always feel lego want you to buy two sets to make it look right (spiderman bridge anyone). If the set connects to Hogwarts and has some wall elements I can imagine lego not doing a full chess board but having at least one of every big piece and a good few pawns and then you could buy another set to make it a full board. Also I wonder will the advent calendar have some chess pieces in it this year, didn't they say it had a play element. 

Edited by Micmac

1 hour ago, Micmac said:

Because I moc stuff i always feel lego want you to buy two sets to make it look right (spiderman bridge anyone). If the set connects to Hogwarts and has some wall elements I can imagine lego not doing a full chess board but having at least one of every big piece and a good few pawns and then you could buy another set to make it a full board. Also I wonder will the advent calendar have some chess pieces in it this year, didn't they say it had a play element. 

I agree with this, I really can‘t imagine a full playable chess set, not for 60€.

30 minutes ago, Axxe90 said:

I agree with this, I really can‘t imagine a full playable chess set, not for 60€.

It has nearly 900 pieces.

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

They sometimes do, but in this case it makes very little sense. They would have to include:

• half the board
  • 8 pawns (4+4)
  • 2 queens (1+1)
  • 2 kings (1+1)
  • 2 rooks (1+1)
  • 2 knights (1+1)
  • 2 bishops (1+1)

And it would be a really hard sell that you ned to buy 2 sets to be able to play chess and get a lot of other stuff from the castle you do not need times two if you only wants it for the chess:sceptic:

26 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It has nearly 900 pieces.

Yes, and if they can add a lot of similar parts in a set that makes them cheaper, the board would only be a few different parts and every chess piece comes in 2-16 copies of the same parts:wink:

Edited by Roebuck

17 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They sometimes do, but in this case it makes very little sense. They would have to include:

• half the board
  • 8 pawns (4+4)
  • 2 queens (1+1)
  • 2 kings (1+1)
  • 2 rooks (1+1)
  • 2 knights (1+1)
  • 2 bishops (1+1)

And it would be a really hard sell that you ned to buy 2 sets to be able to play chess and get a lot of other stuff from the castle you do not need times two if you only wants it for the chess:sceptic:

Yes, and if they can add a lot of similar parts in a set that makes them cheaper, the board would only be a few different parts and every chess piece comes in 2-16 copies of the same parts:wink:

I totally agree. But at the moment we are not sure if it's a chess set, or the chess scene with castle elements. My confusion with it is if can be connected to Hogwarts castle I can't imagine the small castle and then this giant chess set. It will dwarf everything else. I don't really want a chess set but would be happy with the small scene set. Time will tell I suppose. 

I don't see how people think the moulded horse could fit on a 4x4 square. I have one in hand right now, and you would need at least a 6x6 square, if not more, because the top/front part of the horse sits out in front of the back legs, even when reared up. The pieces need to fit fully in one square to play with properly. I'm imagining 4x4 or 6x6 squares with brick built pieces, and no major side builds, as they'll need most of the parts for the chess pieces. I don't see it coming with many minifigs, just the trio and a golden fig, and maybe some minifig parts for the pieces, like helmets and things.

I also don't see how people think a full playable chess set would connect with the castle, it would be way to big and wouldn't make sense with scale of the other sets.

The interior of the forbidden corridor set is a mystery, it would make sense to have the trapdoor in the tower and the devil's snare and flying keys below, but fluffy looks too big for the tower - but then it wouldn't make sense to have a mostly empty room with a trap door to nowhere below either... 

Edited by Decat

19 minutes ago, Decat said:

I don't see how people think the moulded horse could fit on a 4x4 square. I have one in hand right now, and you would need at least a 6x6 square, if not more, because the top/front part of the horse sits out in front of the back legs, even when reared up. The pieces need to fit fully in one square to play with properly.

This chess set had the old horse on 6x6:
852293-1.jpg?200803020307
That mould takes up more space since it can not only stand on its hind legs and looks like part of the piece is outside the square to me in that set. So I do not think Lego is so strict about that as long as the base of the part is inside the square that is probably OK, and a new horse only use 3x3 on its hind legs right? Even so 3x3 would be to small I think, 4x4 could maybe work :shrug_oh_well: I just want them to include moulded horses, because that would look the best, this is the most reason try not to include them:
6346105-1.jpg?202011280916
over 30 parts are used to make what one 1 part could do 10 times better :facepalm:
And if they only make part of the horse that would not be very movie accurate either:
Crown_Chess_Knight.png

1 hour ago, Decat said:

I don't see how people think the moulded horse could fit on a 4x4 square. I have one in hand right now, and you would need at least a 6x6 square, if not more, because the top/front part of the horse sits out in front of the back legs, even when reared up. The pieces need to fit fully in one square to play with properly. 

QRB60ow.jpg

In the film the knight's front legs jut out over another square, but the plinth is firmly on the square. 

10 hours ago, bluedog1111 said:

I think a shrunken chess set being scaled down a little bit isolates both the kid fans of Lego's who most would have little interest in getting a chess set that is only seen in one scene when instead there is things like the great hall, clock tower, Hogsmeade, and more on the market

As far as “only seen in one scene” goes, two words: “Durmstrang ship”. :pir_laugh2:

10 hours ago, YetiZombie said:

Is the quidditch accessory pack confirmed now? I thought trusted sources hadn't backed that up yet, but people seem to be assuming it's real

I don’t think it’s been confirmed, but if you compare it to the last pack, it came out after we had three of the four torsos, three of the four faces (and the fourth was immediately reused in the AC), and all the hair pieces. There wasn’t much new stuff in the pack (and only the one unique piece), it was basically to expand your legions of background students.

Fast forward to the present... We’re seeing a new Hooch this wave, so Quidditch is once again a hot topic. The Quidditch robe torsos have now been made for all four houses, two of which are expensive to come by (although Cedric Diggory in Quidditch kit will be out in book form this year), but that still leaves us shy a Ravenclaw uniform. (Roger Davies please! *) The Moments set jumpers aren’t hugely popular, and while I don’t think our reactions are going to change what’s released this summer, I do think they anticipate reception and plan accordingly. I just can’t see us getting four of them. (How many multiples would any of us buy of a set like that?) Other than that, we haven’t got four different generic Death Eaters yet for the BoH, nor would it make sense in a wave without DH sets... School robes would be amazing, but here again, we haven’t even seen robes for two of the Houses at any price point, so I think it makes it less likely... 

So: not confirmed, but logical and fairly probable. (Which naturally means I’m wrong.:wink:

@deskp iirc you had made a collector’s card of Roger Davies in Ravenclaw Quidditch robes. Was there a leak of that fig, or was that a MOC?

58 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

@deskp iirc you had made a collector’s card of Roger Davies in Ravenclaw Quidditch robes. Was there a leak of that fig, or was that a MOC?

Hm,    In order for the  Ravenclaw quiddich robe to get a place in my gallery  i put a head+hair on  so it seemed more natural. Not intended to be anyone

Edited by deskp

21 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

I will just underline the fact that - from a marketing and sales perspective- a Gringott’s release this year makes much more sense than waiting until next year. LEGO will want to maximize revenue from the folks who bought Diagon Alley last year by selling them the (highly-demanded) expansion set as soon as possible. Also, they will want to still have Diagon Alley for sale for the folks who buy Gringott’s first and then decide they want to purchase the rest of Diagon Alley. The longer LEGO waits to release Gringott’s, the more potential revenue it loses - not least of which is in terms of cross-product  pollination and cross-product marketing potential.

On the other hand, if they wait until next year to release a Gringotts, Diagon Alley might finally have come back in stock... ;)

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Hm,    In order for the  Ravenclaw quiddich robe to get a place in my gallery  i put a head+hair on  so it seemed more natural. Not intended to be anyone

Well it’s Roger now. :laugh: Plus he was the only one of the GoF Champions’ dates not represented, so fair’s fair. 

(Btw, you had done a render of your plans for displaying the GH, viaduct and viaduct entrance at one point. Any chance you have a better shot of how you linked the viaduct with the courtyard and would be willing to share it? I’m having problems with the angles... :sceptic: And was that done with Mecabricks? TIA.) 

12 hours ago, DrDrewBlood said:

The leaked Fluffy set is 24 studs wide, so my guess is a 24x24 chess set. Each square would be 3x3.

that would be interesting considering that lego would either want the chessboard to be playable or not care for it to be playable

54 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

The chess board should be 8x8 so 64 sqaures on the board...

FTFY :tongue:

I could see them doing a variant of mini-chess, but I would prefer a proper 8x8 chessboard, even at the expense of the additional stuff some of you want to see included. In my opinion, this set isn’t really the place for additional challenges, they should be included in the Fluffy set instead :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

52 minutes ago, Brick Clicker said:

The chess board should be 8x8 so 48 sqaures on the board...

Wowee, just like a CHESS BOARD.

I don't know why people have decided this'll be a Hogwarts expansion with a little chess section. That makes little sense and likely wouldn't sell well. Now, if only people would realize that 3x3 is too small for each square...

10 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I don't know why people have decided this'll be a Hogwarts expansion with a little chess section. 

And I dont know why people are so sure its going to be fully playable chess. If its supposed to be able to connect with other Hogwarts sets then dont expect to get full chess board because the scale of other sets just doesnt allow it. I am sure there are a lot of people who would lose their interest if it was just a chess board rather than playset based on that scene.

Edited by Textorix

9 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Wowee, just like a CHESS BOARD.

I don't know why people have decided this'll be a Hogwarts expansion with a little chess section. That makes little sense and likely wouldn't sell well. Now, if only people would realize that 3x3 is too small for each square...

Yep, looking at Lego history, when they've made a Chess Set, it seems to almost ALWAYS to be a full chess set. 

Just now, Textorix said:

And I dont know why people are so sure its going to be fully playable chess. If its supposed to be able to connect with other Hogwarts sets then dont expect to get full chess board because the scale of other sets just doesnt allow it. I am sure there is a lot of people who would lose their interest if it was just a chess board rather than playset based on that scene.

4 different kinds of pieces to the edge, and it connects to the Anniversary Set. No precedent for it NOT to be a full chess set, especially given the movie and the book, they play an actual game of chess. 

12 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Now, if only people would realize that 3x3 is too small for each square...

Every chess set released has had 4x4 squares except for 852293 Castle Giant Chess Set which had 6x6 (and went for $200 13 years ago in an unlicensed product line). If it’s a playable set instead of just the task, I can’t see them making the fields smaller than 4x4. 

19 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Yep, looking at Lego history, when they've made a Chess Set, it seems to almost ALWAYS to be a full chess set. 

4 different kinds of pieces to the edge, and it connects to the Anniversary Set. No precedent for it NOT to be a full chess set, especially given the movie and the book, they play an actual game of chess. 

Alright, here’s my UNO reverse card:

https://rebrickable.com/sets/4706-1/forbidden-corridor/#info

The original final challenge set had only a few squares and the queen. That being said, I think you are correct, especially given what @Brick Clicker has said.

Edited by Brickroll

11 minutes ago, Textorix said:

And I dont know why people are so sure its going to be fully playable chess. If its supposed to be able to connect with other Hogwarts sets then dont expect to get full chess board because the scale of other sets just doesnt allow it. I am sure there are a lot of people who would lose their interest if it was just a chess board rather than playset based on that scene.

Who said it's supposed to connect with the other Hogwarts set?