Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

They don‘t print on the back side of legs, and for very good reason :wink:

I know ;-) But it looks like  Tom has tucked his robe into his trousers....

Edited by Len

28 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

If you don’t mind, what was the misunderstanding of the characters?

Something something "Ron Erasure"

The interview referred to is the infamous one where she first said that she regretted pairing Ron up with Hernione, and that Harry/Hermione would have been a much better pair. I don't think I have to explain why this is asinine and wrong, Deathly Hallows (book) does that rather well.

Also, "Ron Erasure" was just a joke.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

5 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

This year makes no sense to me. Each and every one of these building thing / non-playset sets sounds to me like it could be fine in its own right, but releasing so many at once in one wave is baffling.

LEGO must be confident in HP to pump all this random stuff out, but then again, if the "regular" type sets were selling well, it's a strange and sudden detour to make into a year with only four normal sets, and of those only one seeming to share the same design language as previous years.

Maybe we were meant to be getting Fantastic Beast 3 sets in August, but the filming delay and pandemic meant that those sets have had to be pushed back and quickly coming up with some buildable sets which only require an odd minifigure was the best they could do. 

Gotta say, that new Tom is... not great. The torso is fine (though I prefer the 2020 version), but those legs just don't work. I think they look better than Grindelwald (the only other modern HP figure to print black robes onto light legs), but not great. And that face... the alternate expression is fine, but why is his first face a confused look? When does Tom look confused? Also, the only thing they didn't change was the only thing I disliked about the 2020 figure: that mediocre hairpiece.

Welp, this figure has convinced me to get the 2020 book, just so I can have a better Tom to go with the Chamber of Secrets.

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Maybe we were meant to be getting Fantastic Beast 3 sets in August, but the filming delay and pandemic meant that those sets have had to be pushed back and quickly coming up with some buildable sets which only require an odd minifigure was the best they could do. 

That actually makes a lot of sense but the choices are still quite baffling...

2 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Welp, this figure has convinced me to get the 2020 book, just so I can have a better Tom to go with the Chamber of Secrets.

The book itself actually isn't bad either. It has a minifigure gallery and some interviews with the designers. Also, the cover is hilarious. I recommend it!

Edited by Roonil Wazlib

I like this Tom Riddle better ngl, I think it makes him look an apparition that he was thanks to all the grey while the old Riddle looked way to realistic if that makes any sense at all.

Edited by RODDY

22 minutes ago, Len said:

No part of cape on the back side of legs. Very strange.

They never do prints on the back side of legs

39 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

As much as I hope for a return to form next year, I’m not confident. Can’t wait for a bunch of inferior PoA remakes, buildable werewolf and shrunken head :grin: This wave just completely broke the trust I had in the design team. Shame

Yikes, that didn't take long! I don't think the panic is well-founded. One off-year shouldn't completely break your trust after three other really good years. Honestly, it's a little humorous to see how doom and gloom people are getting here. Wait for the final pics of this year's sets, make your full judgement, and then see what next year brings. If they do something like this year again, that'd be grounds for broken trust. Seriously though, one bad wave. Cut the designers some slack.

Edited by mirkwoodspiders

The new riddle torso looks great and I think the facial expressions work fine too but the legs seem to be way too light a grey colour in the photos? Is that going to be the actual colour? I personally think the dark-grey legs with printing would have looked better rather than the current leg colour and print 

Edited by Ringwraith

3 minutes ago, Thieda said:

That actually makes a lot of sense but the choices are still quite baffling...

Well I agree that a Rememebrall (if it is that) is a bit baffling over say a Golden Snitch, but Fawkes as the brick built creature is reasonable. Fawkes is not only well loved from the films, but even those who don't like HP might want a mythical phoenix build. Fawkes also ties in with Fantastic Beasts so that build could have even been meant for this year to tie in with the FB films.

As for Harry and Hermione, I'm guessing Ron was excluded to balance the genders.

With the amount of photo leaks in the last couple of weeks/days I can only expect an official reveal in the coming weeks. I always feel the official pictures follow shortly after some of the more significant leaks. Fingers crossed. I'm still excited for these sets.

3 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Seriously though, one bad wave. Cut the designers some slack.

Trust is easier broken than earned :tongue: It‘s not like I‘m not willing to forgive them, but that won‘t happen before we see the set list for next summer :purrr:

1 minute ago, Mordarch said:

With the amount of photo leaks in the last couple of weeks/days I can only expect an official reveal in the coming weeks. I always feel the official pictures follow shortly after some of the more significant leaks. Fingers crossed. I'm still excited for these sets.

It's pretty much always late-april for these Potter waves.

Edited by Guyon2002

Not a big fan of the new head for Tom. It doesn't look bad but last years head was a much better fit and should've been reused imo.

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not a big fan of the new head for Tom. It doesn't look bad but last years head was a much better fit and should've been reused imo.

Yeah. Not to mention that there'll inevitably be at least one new character in the June wave who won't get a new face print (Ginny, Colin, Dean, Justin, Rosmerta, etc.) while Tom gets a second face, and one that is both unnecessary and inferior.

Just now, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Yeah. Not to mention that there'll inevitably be at least one new character in the June wave who won't get a new face print (Ginny, Colin, Dean, Justin, Rosmerta, etc.) while Tom gets a second face, and one that is both unnecessary and inferior.

The weird thing is that they could've easily reused the old face, seeing as it's currently still in production for the AT-AT set: 

50388214642_0709dd2f4f_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I prefer the new closed mouth expression.    But it really irks me how lego cant start  making 1 face for every figure be neutral expression.  then they can make the second face EXPRESSIVE in whatever goofy way they like.

2 silly expressions is always annoying to me.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

The weird thing is that they could've easily reused the old face, seeing as it's currently still in production for the AT-AT set: 

I personally think the new face is rather nice and a bit more fitting film-wise. I found the 2020 face a little bit too snarly and angry compared to the actual movie Tom 

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

50388214642_0709dd2f4f_b.jpg

Personally, what I'd have loved is if they'd done what they did with Umbridge and CMF S2 Harry last year, and taken the one existing face print and just given it a new alternate print. The 2020 face with the new aggressive look on the back would've been fantastic.

Just now, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Personally, what I'd have loved is if they'd done what they did with Umbridge and CMF S2 Harry last year, and taken the one existing face print and just given it a new alternate print. The 2020 face with the new aggressive look on the back would've been fantastic.

Completely agreed. 

Anyway, I think the fact we're getting an entirely new Tom figure (regardless of quality) continues to show off a major plus of half of the sets being funky brickbuilds: The theme had the budget increased for more sets, but, since some of them are just brickbuilds with very few new prints/molds, the minifig-scale sets seem to have gotten a major boost in budget for figures and creatures compared to the last couple years (and especially to 2020, yikes.)