Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

6 hours ago, Yope said:

I'm wondering what people with some of the original sets in their collection liked about them and would enjoy seeing in this anniversary wave?

Oh, well, I was a kid when the first wave was produced. I consider myself lucky: even if I used to live in a small village, with no toyshops in the neighborhood, and used to receive Lego sets mainly in two occasions (Christmas and birthday) I had a good amount of Lego sets (less than I'd liked to have, obviously :grin:). Having a brother and a sister who liked (and likes) Harry Potter and Lego was a help too.

I had/have The Final Challenge, Chamber of Winged Keys, Snape's Class, 1st edition Hagrid's Hut, Hogwarts Express, Diagon Alley Shops, Troll on the Loose, Quidditch Practice, Dobby's Release, Dueling Club, Slytherin, Sirius Black Escape.

So, answering your question, what I think about them...
... basically they aged badly and I really prefer modern sets to older ones. But, hey, 20 years passed :laugh:. Of couse I still love old sets: I grew up with them, played a lot and enjoyed it. They were far from being perfect, but kids' fantasy cover all the problems and that's fantastic :wub:.

Really, what I missed most as a kid from first waves were Hogwarts Castle, Dumbledore's Office, Chambers of Secrets, Hogsmeade and Forbidden Corridor... and in June nearly all of these gaps will be closed.

I loved capes, hats, books, owls, spiders, frogs, snakes... Peeves, potions, keys, hidden objects ... I liked boxes style, the "map" that showed you all the sets linked together. But Lego redid almost everything. Oh, well, it would be good seeing a new Peeves.
What I don't miss are "magical wands" (bars 4L... how awful!) and the very poor charachters selection.

And another thing I feel thinking about older sets is that they seemed more magical... but I suppose that's beacuse I was a kid... :cry_happy:

12 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

it would be an even bigger risk to do nothing special for Harry Potter's 20th Anniversary.

It would be still special if they remade these sets but with modern 2018-2020 build style.

2 minutes ago, Textorix said:

It would be still special if they remade these sets but with modern 2018-2020 build style.

True, but it would make it hard to tell that they are anniversary sets.

14 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

And another thing I feel thinking about older sets is that they seemed more magical... but I suppose that's beacuse I was a kid... :cry_happy:

That's probably a big part of it, but also it could be that the older sets had things like hidden doors and strange objects that were put in just for fun whereas in the reboot almost everything is based on something specific from the film sets.

6 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Not necessarily. Even in the style that they chose, they're still much different from the original sets. For instance, the original COS didn't have the great hall on top. I think they probably could have done a larger, more detailed COS with nothing on top and we would have been happier about it.

Edited by Roonil Wazlib

11 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I disagree. The Star Wars anniversary sets looked more like the modern Star Wars sets than an attempt to recreate the style of the 1990s sets, and Harry Potter could easily have emulated that. 

1 hour ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

older sets had things like hidden doors and strange objects that were put in just for fun

Yes, this is true! I really like how they recreate Hogwarts following the films, but sometimes I think it's too much perfect. Everything in the (Warner Bros film) right position, more or less. How good was seeing Peeves coming out of nowhere in Snape's Classroom :laugh:.

And you make me think to another thing: in some old instruction books, in the end, there were also alternative buildings and some funny and absurd scenes. In 4702_Final Challenge set, in the end of the instruction book, Harry and Quirrel play together throwing 1x1 round bricks into the roof with a sort of catapult made with the spider's web. Or Harry looking the sky with a telescope. And, in 4707_Hagrid's Hut, Hagrid's wind mill and garden or Dumbledore's telescope tower (telescopes everywhere)! :iamded_lol:

Edited by BrickMatit

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

I disagree. The Star Wars anniversary sets looked more like the modern Star Wars sets than an attempt to recreate the style of the 1990s sets, and Harry Potter could easily have emulated that. 

Exactly and then there are golden minifigures and maybe special boxes as well which can tell you these are anniversary sets

Yup, I agree with you on Star Wars anniveary sets. It would be easy for Harry Potter to follow the suit. So I really don’t mind it at all!

4 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Exactly and then there are golden minifigures and maybe special boxes as well which can tell you these are anniversary sets

That’s true also. 

I agree. An updated version of many of the older run sets could have evoked the nostalgia while modernizing it for the current waves. I can picture many of the old sets, especially teh smaller ones like Troll on the Loose, smaller Diagon Alley Shops, and Gryffindor House, looking well next to the 2018-2020 wave. The 2001 Forbidden Corridor set, in particular, could look great modernized, with something comparable to the 75953 Whomping Willow set, and with focus on the interior. 

I think they do this fairly well, in a way, with 4721 Hogwarts Classrooms. They took that small set, expanded it and made for interesting and unique sets, and giving us a few great minifigures. 

For the summer wave, it seems they "kitbashed" some of the small sets without modernizing it to the current wave. In my opinion, Instead of finding a balance of nostalgia and modernity, they focused more on the nostalgia aspect. For me, I may be in a minority, as I wasn't collecting back then so the nostalgia focus falls flat for me. I simply don't understand the marketing point of this from a newer HP fan. Though, or others, this could be remarkably fun harking back to their childhood, and hope that it brings great fun for them. 

1 hour ago, BrickMatit said:

Yes, this is true! I really like how they recreate Hogwarts following the films, but sometimes I think it's too much perfect. Everything in the (Warner Bros film) right position, more or less. How good was seeing Peeves coming out of nowhere in Snape's Classroom :laugh:.

And you make me think to another thing: in some old instruction books, in the end, there were also alternative buildings and some funny and absurd scenes. In 4702_Final Challenge set, in the end of the instruction book, Harry and Quirrel play together throwing 1x1 round bricks into the roof with a sort of catapult made with the spider's web. Or Harry looking the sky with a telescope. And, in 4707_Hagrid's Hut, Hagrid's wind mill and garden or Dumbledore's telescope tower (telescopes everywhere)! :iamded_lol:

Since we didn't get the interiors, really, in the leaks, I'm excited they may try to do something similar to this! :grin:

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

To be fair, the Star Wars sets weren't exactly well received.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

To be fair, the Star Wars sets weren't exactly well received.

If this thread is anything to go by, neither are the Harry Potter sets. I wasn't active in AFOL communities at the time - what was seen as the issue? 

Just now, Alexandrina said:

what was seen as the issue? 

People were complaining that they are not special enough.

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

I suspect Lego would prefer people thinking the sets aren't special enough to people thinking the sets are terrible. I don't think anything could truly satisfy the community - and Harry Potter is at least less polarised a community than Star Wars - but these sets certainly seem to have missed the mark. 

11 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

I'm excited they may try to do something similar to this! :grin:

Yeah, it would be funny and really nostalgic. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I suspect Lego would prefer people thinking the sets aren't special enough to people thinking the sets are terrible.

I don't think they are terrible, they just don't fit that well with the previous ones.

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

I don't think they are terrible, they just don't fit that well with the previous ones.

Oh, I don't think they're terrible either. I can't wait. But there's no denying that the general mood around them is pretty foul. 

Oh, I don't think they're terrible either. I can't wait. But there's no denying that the general mood around them is pretty foul. 

I think another reason is the price increase.

10 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I think another reason is the price increase.

Is there a price increase? The sets seem on par with previous Harry Potter sets, with a decent price to piece ratio - and I think you're the first person I've seen cite price increase as an issue. 

Is there a price increase? The sets seem on par with previous Harry Potter sets, with a decent price to piece ratio - and I think you're the first person I've seen cite price increase as an issue. 

PPP is okay but it looks like there are way too much small parts. The only one with reasonable price is Hogsmeade.

10 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

PPP is okay but it looks like there are way too much small parts. The only one with reasonable price is Hogsmeade.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I think :pir-wench:

13 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Way too much small parts? One of my main dislikes about the Hogwarts sets is the excessive use of large parts :tongue:

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Way too much small parts? One of my main dislikes about the Hogwarts sets is the excessive use of large parts :tongue:

True, but I still think the other sets uses way too much small parts.

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

From what I can gather, and as a Star Wars fan myself myself, Star Wars collectors are very picky and want completely new things, even though Lego, as a company, is designed to recreate sets for new kids, since the old kids age out.

Same can be said for HP too, but it's difficult to see if that's the case. I think that is what worries many HP since the newest wave is so new they haven't gone through that new iteration for the new kids. Myself, as much as I don't like the new ones, I can find something great in each set that will make be buy them. I've joined the Deatheater society that is HP lego collectors, so unless it 100% doesn't Spark Joy (I see you HP Art set), I will buy them and enjoy them. 

1 hour ago, BrickMatit said:

Yeah, it would be funny and really nostalgic. :laugh:

Seeing all these little details in the old sets, makes me want to buy the used ones. Suppose I'm not supposed to have any extra money these days...:excited:

On 3/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, Roebuck said:

He is the design lead on the theme, there are several other designers that do most of the sets and those have changed a lot every year. Have not heard any news of him changing job and I do not think that is the issue being the change in style anyway :sceptic:

Most of us where expecting DH sets this year and that could mean some sort of closure on the theme and I would not be surprised if that was what they originally planned when they started the theme again. However with the sales the theme is doing they clearly changed that plan. So they could keep the original plan and next year start giving us sets we missed the first time around, but they did not do that either apparently since they started with that last year already. Instead they used the 20 year anniversary to give us something different this year by the looks of it, but they give us mostly things we where asking for right. If they give us DH sets next year in the "normal" style as some people expect/hope for then what in 2023, they would definitely not give us a COS, Flyffy, bathroom etc set in the "normal" style then. So they use up a number of set ideas this year which makes it a little more unlikely they are going back to the "normal" style next year in my mind :shrug_oh_well:

I do not follow SW closely, but my understanding is that they save sought after figs and sets for years before they give them to the fans. E.g. Queen Amidala that did not show up in a set before 12-13 year had passed and never since so she cost a goat or two on BL :wacko: My guess is that they have started the same tactic in HP to make the theme last longer, but what can they give us. 

Agree, If the summer wave ending up with set in the new style then I don't think they return to the older design.

I think lego gave us a lot of sought after figs and sets in a short time. They have pleased their HP fans a lot faster then their SW fans.

I really like'd the books from the january wave and the design of it is lovely. I still hope the castle sections in the leaked image is'nt what lego going to release in the summer wave (expect for Fluffy and the Basilisk).